Autopsy Collingwood’s wretched injury run in 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, mate.
It's all a big 'what if?'.
A regular footy follower would have thought Richmond were a better side with Brett Deledio in it.
Turns out we were wrong.
All that aside, JDG goes out and *s us. Then Shaz does his ACL, double *s us. Elliott re-does his hammy today. It’s a big * you from the universe.

The worst part of the game are the injuries but footy is an extension of war. Man progressed from going to battle on Saturdays to picking up/ kicking a ball and doing something that didn't kill or permanently maim everyone. We have come along way but it's in us to compete and win and Aussie Rules sums up war in sport. There will always be injuries and I would love to be able to remove them from the game. I hope the AFL are looking into all kinds of things like braces for knees, ankles, shoulders. I'm no sports scientist but maybe there is a way to have minimal body armour that is worn by all players so that it's uniform. It's not Aussie rules as we know it but the injuries are bad, getting worse and more frequent so it's worth a thought. I'm serious.

• The pies have had a horrible run with injuries
  • Who knows how far they could go with a full side?
  • Probably could have won a few games they lost with a full side
  • They've been unlucky
  • Deserve some credit for their resilience
There, I said it. Can you Pies supporters now please move the **** on?
Maybe tell your richmond board as they joke about collingwood injuries every day from reading it.

All that aside, JDG goes out and ****s us. Then Shaz does his ACL, double ****s us. Elliott re-does his hammy today. It’s a big **** you from the universe.
Honestly, I think Treloar, JDG, Scharenberg and Dunn are the big outs for you at this stage. Obviously the latter two are not coming back anytime soon though.
I think holding out on players like Elliot and Wells is a bit dreamland, just treat it as a bonus if they do get back and contribute.
Aish probably be a bit underdone too.

Honestly, I think Treloar, JDG, Scharenberg and Dunn are the big outs for you at this stage. Obviously the latter two are not coming back anytime soon though.
I think holding out on players like Elliot and Wells is a bit dreamland, just treat it as a bonus if they do get back and contribute.
Aish probably be a bit underdone too.
Arguing the importance of some players on the MB is the equivalent of you guys trying to convince the rest of the footy world Grimes is an important player. That’s why this thread was always going to be an uphill battle for me, but I’m glad I’ve been able to share discussions with a few different people.

Shaz and Dunn are very important to us structurally. Shaz can be replaced by Goldsack (if he gets back) and Dunn by Moore. Hearing JDG May miss more than the 2 weeks initially mentioned last week.

Hope Treloar is right to go himself come Round 23, but what’s the point if we drop the next few?

Arguing the importance of some players on the MB is the equivalent of you guys trying to convince the rest of the footy world Grimes is an important player. That’s why this thread was always going to be an uphill battle for me, but I’m glad I’ve been able to share discussions with a few different people.

Shaz and Dunn are very important to us structurally. Shaz can be replaced by Goldsack (if he gets back) and Dunn by Moore. Hearing JDG May miss more than the 2 weeks initially mentioned last week.

Hope Treloar is right to go himself come Round 23, but what’s the point if we drop the next few?
\
I've heard Treloar is trekking for Round 23 and from a good source JDG will be back fort he Brisbane game it's very precautionary.

* me there’s some serious shitposting in this thread.

If I had a dollar for every time Richmond supporters used the injury joke I’d be able to bionically repair our ACLs tomorrow and be done with it.

A select few are turning the main board into a joke these days, you can’t have a genuine discussion without being trolled.

\
I've heard Treloar is trekking for Round 23 and from a good source JDG will be back fort he Brisbane game it's very precautionary.
It’s gotta be worthwhile for them to come back.

If these guys aren’t being rushed back, and Goldsack is in the same boat, I can see the Pies still having an impact in September if we finish top 4.

It’ll be far too difficult if anyone else is to go down between now and then.

Not really sure what the point of the thread is?

Everyone is aware that Collingwood has had a heap of injuries.
Since it’s a pisstake for alot of people, I thought I’d do the whole of BF a favour and keep it to just one thread.

Fasolo, Elliott and Moore have been our top goal kickers for years too. They were effectively our forwardline at the start of the season.

Their best player has missed 6 games? Treloar has missed 5, and will miss another 4 at least. De Goey has missed 4 and will miss at least 1 more.

You keep mentioning Lids. So that means I can mention that Wells has missed 14 of a possible 18, and the remainder of the season.

You mentioned these are players that are important to the structure of those clubs. The players I mentioned are important to Collingwood’s.
This is absolute rubbish.

GWS may not have been cruelled by injuries as much as Collingwood has this season but their outs ended up leading them to have a really poor period of games where they looked genuinely rubbish and couldn’t buy a win. Kelly, Scully, Greene etc all our injured together. If they had those blokes out there playing they would have been a top 2 team easy in my opinion.

Elliot etc don’t come close to the talent of Kelly etc. Treloar is obviously a gun but it’s not like you’ve had a heap of other jets out at the same time, so Pendlebury etc have been able to make up for his absence somewhat.

Things would look much different for Collingwood if it was Treloar, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, De Goey and Howe all out injured at the same time

This is absolute rubbish.

GWS may not have been cruelled by injuries as much as Collingwood has this season but their outs ended up leading them to have a really poor period of games where they looked genuinely rubbish and couldn’t buy a win. Kelly, Scully, Greene etc all our injured together. If they had those blokes out there playing they would have been a top 2 team easy in my opinion.

Elliot etc don’t come close to the talent of Kelly etc. Treloar is obviously a gun but it’s not like you’ve had a heap of other jets out at the same time, so Pendlebury etc have been able to make up for his absence somewhat.

Things would look much different for Collingwood if it was Treloar, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, De Goey and Howe all out injured at the same time
I wasn’t turning this into a pissing contest....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn’t turning this into a pissing contest....
You just completely downplayed the Giants injuries because of the amount of games.

The point is the Giants missed a heap of gun players for a significant stretch of time. Whereas for most of the season the Pies injured players have mostly been to decent players but certainly not as good as someone like Josh Kelly or Toby Greene. It’s one of the reasons why the Pies have managed to hold onto a top 4 spot while the Giants have only recently battled back into the 8.

Last edited:
Collingwood have had some unlucky injuries but they also have had injuries that determine whether a player is AFL equipped or not.

For example, yesterday they had Howe go down from friendly fire. That was extremely bad luck. However, Scharenberg's injury, as sad as it was, is an indication that his body finds it difficult withstanding the pressures of AFL footy.

When you are thrust into a colosseum to fight to the death, it's not only skill and strength that are important. Durability is important too. What makes a premiership team is a combination of skill, luck and durability. Collingwood have the skill but have had some bad luck but mainly the bodies of many of their better players have let them down. That's sometimes just as important as game plan, system and skill.

So when I hear excuses being made for losses and that "we could have beaten you if we had no injuries", I find that just the same as saying if we had better players than you we'd win.

Richmond have had luck but they also have some of the most durable players in the league. That is a fact overlooked as a measure of quality of a good team, but it is and it is very important. Not many here acknowledge that as most just like to bag us and call us lucky.

Goldsack, Dunn, Scharenberg
Howe, Moore, Crisp
Aish, Pendlebury, Sidebottom
JDG, Reid, Wells
Elliott
, Cox, Fasolo
Grundy, Treloar, Adams

Thomas, Varcoe, Langdon, Hoskin-Elliott
I was under the impression that Scharenberg and Fasolo weren't really seen as likely types at the beginning of the year. No way was Schaz getting a game ahead of Maynard in the fans' eyes, four talls in that D50 seems outrageous. Elliott, Reid and Wells are all crocks - so you take what you can get from them. I sympathise with Collingwood's injuries, but the reality is that the Pies had about 15 guys of similar exposed talent competing for 5-8 spots. The injuries have been s**t, but guys like Thomas and particularly Stephenson and Phillips are clear best 22. Murray started the year in the seniors as well, but has been dropped here for a decent spell. Mihocek has also acquitted himself well, as have young Brown and Daicos even though they're still a tad green.

TL;DR, injuries have been unfortunate, but Collingwood's best 22 at the start of the year was far from settled.

Side question, will Dunn play on after the ACL?

You just completely downplayed the Giants injuries because of the amount of games.

The point is the Giants missed a heap of gun players for a significant stretch of time. Whereas for most of the season the Pies injured players have mostly been to decent players but certainly not as good as someone like Josh Kelly or Toby Greene. It’s one of the reasons why the Pies have managed to hold onto a top 4 spot while the Giants have only recently battled back into the 8.
Who gives a s**t who is better than who? As I said, it’s not a pissing contest of who’s got the best injured players.

GWS were a top 4 side last year and they were tipped to be a top 4 side this year. Collingwood was a bottom 6 side last year and were tipped to be a bottom 10 side this year. Obviously the quality of those outs is going to be reflected in the quality of the overall side.

But just because they’ve lost guns to their side doesn’t mean Collingwood’s outs aren’t important to their setup.

Midfielders are the easiest players to replace, so your argument is quite silly. We’ve been able to replace Treloar but even his replacement is now out injured. Has that happened at GWS?

Our leading goal kickers for the last 3 years have played under 10 games between them in 2018. Would GWS be in the top 5 of that was the case for them?

We’ve lost 2 of our 3 KPDs for the year. Show me which club can manage that and keep winning.

Maybe you should stop downplaying Collingwood’s injuries and then I wouldn’t need to start a thread about it.

Who gives a s**t who is better than who? As I said, it’s not a pissing contest of who’s got the best injured players.

GWS were a top 4 side year and they were tipped to be a top 4 side this year. Collingwood was a bottom 6 side last year and were tipped to be a bottom 10 side this year. Obviously the quality of those puts is going to be reflected in the quality of the overall side.

But just because they’ve lost guns to their side doesn’t mean Collingwood’s outs aren’t important to their setup.

Midfielders are the easiest players to replace, so your argument is quite silly. We’ve been able to replace Treloar but even his replacement is now out injured. Has that happened at GWS?

Our leading goal kickers for the last 3 years have played under 10 games between them in 2018. Would GWS be in the top 5 of that was the case for them?

We’ve lost 2 of our 3 KPDs for the year. Show me which club can manage that and keep winning.

Maybe you should stop downplaying Collingwood’s injuries and then I wouldn’t need to start a thread about it.
Starts a thread for who knows what reason and then sooks when posters dare to discuss and argue.

What the hell do you want opposition posters to say?

Bizarre thread.

Collingwood have had some unlucky injuries but they also have had injuries that determine whether a player is AFL equipped or not.

For example, yesterday they had Howe go down from friendly fire. That was extremely bad luck. However, Scharenberg's injury, as sad as it was, is an indication that his body finds it difficult withstanding the pressures of AFL footy.

When you are thrust into a colosseum to fight to the death, it's not only skill and strength that are important. Durability is important too. What makes a premiership team is a combination of skill, luck and durability. Collingwood have the skill but have had some bad luck but mainly the bodies of many of their better players have let them down. That's sometimes just as important as game plan, system and skill.

So when I hear excuses being made for losses and that "we could have beaten you if we had no injuries", I find that just the same as saying if we had better players than you we'd win.

Richmond have had luck but they also have some of the most durable players in the league. That is a fact overlooked as a measure of quality of a good team, but it is and it is very important. Not many here acknowledge that as most just like to bag us and call us lucky.
Can I have some of what you’re smoking?

Starts a thread for who knows what reason and then sooks when posters dare to discuss and argue.

Bizarre thread.
You’re telling me Collingwood’s injuries aren’t relevant because another side has injuries too. What does GWS have to do with Collingwood’s injuries? How do you want me to respond?

Piss off and troll elsewhere if you’re going to come back with the above when I respond back adequately.

Don't be a dick.

You complain that you put an effort into your post and that people gave you immature answers and yet you do the same thing yourself.

Ridiculous.
Explain what Richmond does different to everyone else to make their players more durable and Ill be less of a smartarse. How does an ACL injury have anything to do with a player’s durability?

A durable player is one that doesn’t get injured, not one that is unable to get injured.

Bizarre thread.
Did you know Collingwood players magically become Hercules when injured? Chris Mayne, if injured, is a colossus that pisses on Kouta .

I was under the impression that Scharenberg and Fasolo weren't really seen as likely types at the beginning of the year. No way was Schaz getting a game ahead of Maynard in the fans' eyes, four talls in that D50 seems outrageous. Elliott, Reid and Wells are all crocks - so you take what you can get from them. I sympathise with Collingwood's injuries, but the reality is that the Pies had about 15 guys of similar exposed talent competing for 5-8 spots. The injuries have been s**t, but guys like Thomas and particularly Stephenson and Phillips are clear best 22. Murray started the year in the seniors as well, but has been dropped here for a decent spell. Mihocek has also acquitted himself well, as have young Brown and Daicos even though they're still a tad green.

TL;DR, injuries have been unfortunate, but Collingwood's best 22 at the start of the year was far from settled.

Side question, will Dunn play on after the ACL?
I’m pretty sure Fas was our second highest goal kicker last year with 29 goals from 19 games. Scharenberg played the last 10 games and was finally getting a good run at it. (his only 10 games for the season)

Check out those 4 talls heights. They’re not really ‘talls’ but that’s all we have. Scharenberg ideally plays medium, same as Howe. It’s only really Dunn who is equipped to play the gorilla FF.

RE your last question - depends how into May the Pies are. He deserves it, you’d know. He is a quality person to have at a footy club.

Pies have improved no doubt about it but seriously let's be honest here. I think the injury line is being used perfectly as an excuse, however their easy fixture this season has more than cancelled out by their injuries to real stars like Treloar & Goldsack. Some of those players that have come in for the injured earlier this year are far better than those that are still out.

Good to see the pies have improved, makes the competition more interesting when 2 old Vic rivals are up and about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back