TimothyJ23

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2016-09-23/celebrating-125-years

A lot can happen in 125 years.

So it makes sense that the Collingwood Football Club will be celebrating its 125th birthday in style in season 2017.

As the club marks its special anniversary, there’s much to celebrate and reflect on, while looking forward to what the next 125 years hold.

The 125 year commemorative emblem
For the next 12 months, you will notice a new emblem on Collingwood apparel and other club items.

The commemorative emblem represents:
- The two magpies represent our male and female teams standing side by side as we embark on this new era
- The two magpies represent the old and the new, including our heritage bird looking back on the past 125 years, and our more modern bird facing forwards and representing our exciting future
- black and white features heavily – these colours are obviously very important to the club as they represent our attitude, and us
- Integration of the gold laurel which is represented in Collingwood’s main logo and was drawn from the engraving on our 15 premiership cups. The 125 element also uses the same font and lettering as that of the premiership cups

160923_emblemheader.jpg

For the next 12 months, you will notice a new emblem on Collingwood apparel and other club items.

How are we celebrating?
Collingwood’s 125th year will be marked by a series of events and celebrations to commemorate the occasion, including:
- A festival of celebrations on the weekend of the anniversary of our first game on 7 May 1892, featuring a rematch against our first opponent Carlton, at the MCG
- A fixture request has been submitted for a VFL match against the Northern Blues (Carlton’s VFL affiliate) at Victoria Park that weekend
- Celebrating our members and their years of consecutive service with a special member scarf
- The club has also included special 125th collectible elements in its membership packs for the 2017 season

Our membership website, membership.collingwoodfc.com.au, will feature a calendar of events for fans to reference throughout the year.

The club’s website, collingwoodfc.com.au, and historical database, forever.collingwoodfc.com.au, will play key roles in telling the story of the club’s first 125 years during the season.

Key dates
25 September 2016 (1891)

125 years since the Victorian Football League (VFA) finally agreed to admit the Collingwood Football Club into the competition after two years of lobbying.

12 February 1892
A meeting at Collingwood Town Hall to gauge community interest in the new venture. The Town Hall was overflowing, with riotous scenes and famous speeches.

26 February 1892
The first meeting of the Collingwood Football Club (to elect office bearers) was held at the Collingwood Town Hall.

16 April 1892
The club played its first practice match and elected its first captain at the Yarra Hotel before the match. The team played against ? Clifton (John Wren’s team) at Darling Gardens.

7 May 1892
The first official senior game for the Collingwood Football Club (against the Carlton Football Club) was played at Victoria Park. A huge crowd watched as the Magpies lost, kicking 2.11 (23) to the Blues 3.13 (31).

28 May 1892
Collingwood registered its first win, defeating Williamstown.

The dawn of a new era
Season 2017 is an exciting time for the club with the introduction of its women’s football and netball teams, so the club now has four teams that offer every child the opportunity to dream of playing in the famous Black and White stripes.

The emblem helps mark a point in the club’s development where it has officially become more inclusive and diverse with the launch of the two women’s teams.

Yeah that logo would have been infinitely better if it had the 1 magpie in the middle.

As a former graphic designer whose specialty was logos, that one is eating away at me like bad grammar.

Yeah that logo would have been infinitely better if it had the 1 magpie in the middle.

As a former graphic designer whose specialty was logos, that one is eating away at me like bad grammar.
It is showing the differences (slight as it may be) in the magpie then and now though.

It is showing the differences (slight as it may be) in the magpie then and now though.

I'm aware of it's symbolism.

I'm speaking purely from a design and aesthetic viewpoint. This logo is a very fine line away from being awesome. For me it's actually a frustrating logo to look at. It's so close to looking great but it decides to be stupid because reasons. Fact is, the masses (especially Collingwood masses) don't give 2 shits about symbolism.

They could have had the "older" Magpie there on it's own in the middle, still referred to the symbolism of our heritage and everyone would have been just as happy. Except they would have been looking at a better designed logo. This looks like one of the logos that was created in the lead up to the final one. Something that's mocked up before being refined into the final product.

super nasty mockup done using Pixlr online https://pixlr.com/editor/ while at work (so had to try and do it stealthy too), but it gives you an idea.

I'll try put together a better version tonight at home

Attachments

• magpie_logo.jpg
    magpie_logo.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 712
7 May 1892
The first official senior game for the Collingwood Football Club (against the Carlton Football Club) was played at Victoria Park. A huge crowd watched as the Magpies lost, kicking 2.11 (23) to the Blues 3.13 (31).

In a game where great great great grandfather Cloke kicked 10 of the 11 points for the early Pie team.

I hate the fact we've dropped the Australian flag from it, but otherwise very satisfied with it.

I vaguely remember a thread going back four or five years ago that talked of the symbolism of multiple magpies on the emblem in the context of luck (or more specifically, that one Magpie by itself was unlucky) sketchy on the precise details, would be great if someone could give that thread a bump though given this development??

I like the elements but something about the whole strikes me as not quite right....maybe that shade of gold? I am not sure, maybe it is Sheps two magpies?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate the fact we've dropped the Australian flag from it, but otherwise very satisfied with it.

I vaguely remember a thread going back four or five years ago that talked of the symbolism of multiple magpies on the emblem in the context of luck (or more specifically, that one Magpie by itself was unlucky) sketchy on the precise details, would be great if someone could give that thread a bump though given this development??
I agree. Deleting the Australian flag is a mistake in my opinion. We are the only AFL club that has the Australian flag as part of its logo. That should have stayed.
The other thing i don't like is how the black stripes fade into grey on the bottom left of the logo. We are black and white, not grey and white.
We don't want to get to where Richmoind are with their mustard and charcoal jumper lately..
(oh, and the eye on the old magpie looks far more menacing than the new one.. prefer that one myself)..

Double magpies was a feng shui thing from memory. I like it and wouldn't bat an eyelid with keeping it long term and I like that we didn't include the Australian flag for the opposite reason Slugger liked it.

Double magpies was a feng shui thing from memory. I like it and wouldn't bat an eyelid with keeping it long term and I like that we didn't include the Australian flag for the opposite reason Slugger liked it.
Interested to know your thoughts on why you don't like the flag. Is it solely because we are the only AFL team that has it, and you think it's not right, or another reason. Genuinly asking. If (When!!) we go international*, this will identify us easily. Although our Magpie is a native Australian bird, the flag will easily identify us as Australian.

* We have branched out into Netball, so The Collingwood Magpies Gridiron Team, Collingwood Magpies Basketball team, Volleyball, etc etc
A Global powerhouse Brand..:):)

Talk of a nab challenge game at Vic Park must have been ditched. Disappointing, but the logistics would have been difficult especially if we got a large crowd.

Don't mind that logo, not a fan of the gradient though and it looks like something is missing from the centre. Perhaps we could have included our monogram in the middle?

images

I'm another who doesn't like the Australian flag, but my reason is that it looks unbalanced facing the way it does on the current logo. It looked much better on the other side, also helped by the fact that the magpie's tail partly obscured the union jack. Unfortunately we had to change it because of rules around the use of the aussie flag.

super nasty mockup done using Pixlr online https://pixlr.com/editor/ while at work (so had to try and do it stealthy too), but it gives you an idea.

I'll try put together a better version tonight at home
Yours is better, totally concur.

I get the symbolism of the new magpies logo, sidebyside, etc and also to emphasise the female team.
Good luck to the ladies etc, but I think in all truthfulness only the seniors count in flags.

Good logo, one magpie better

I like the elements but something about the whole strikes me as not quite right....maybe that shade of gold? I am not sure, maybe it is Sheps two magpies?
It's the two birds, after all we are used to one magpie representing all (men, women, boys, girls, white, black, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Jewish, Anglican, Catholic, atheist, green ;))

I still like the new emblem but prefer one magpie.
Just what to point that out, it's still fine

I just hope this doesn't pan out like our 100year anniversary against that dark blue filth.... I still have nightmares aboith that game. The closest I ever came to jumping off out beloved team. Another loss in a big game like that against this rabble and I'll lead the mob.....
We better win because it's Carlton.
We should always beat Carlton regardless of anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back