Collingwood 1929 - ‘The Bradmans of Football’

Remove this Banner Ad

Instead of a flashback to a Collingwood great I thought today I would highlight the greatest team to ever played the game.

They were record breakers who still have some feats that have not been beaten. Clearly they are the Greatest Team of all.
First team to remain undefeated through an entire home-and away season (never matched).
First team to score more than 2,000 points in a single season.
First team to have a full-forward scoring more than 100 goals in a single season.
First team to have a player kick 16 goals in a single match.
Lost only 12 quarters for the season.
Gordon Coventry won the Goalkicking award
Albert Collier won the Brownlow
And of course this was the third of 4 premierships in a row.
Had an incredible percentage of 171.7
There were no neutral grounds like today. So to remain undefeated in 1929 Collingwood won away games at Glenferrie Oval, Corio Oval, Arden St, Junction Oval, Windy Hill, Punt Rd Oval, Lake Oval, Brunswick St Oval and MCG. An incredible effort considering the Home Ground advantage these teams had. The greatest team ever. Part of the incredible ‘Machine’ and known as ‘The Bradman’s of Football’.

Magnificent team.

The unbeaten nature and huge records recorded in that season is so telling.

We should never forget our greatness and the players were something else.

And I believe last time we won the flag in white shorts.

Get goosebumps whenever I hear about The Machine. Can’t separate their incredible success from what was happening in Collingwood (the suburb) in that era of the Depression. Enormous poverty, malnutrition, social upheaval - and the greatest football team in the country. The club did a lot for their community, but winning four flags in a row was the greatest of gifts.

We’ve had it tough since 58 but imagine being beaten in the grand final three years in a row by the same team - Richmond def by Pies 1927, 28 and 29...

That would hurt...

Last game of the season they had a chance to kick point to average 100 points per game over the season, sadly it went out on the full.

Instead of a flashback to a Collingwood great I thought today I would highlight the greatest team to ever played the game.

They were record breakers who still have some feats that have not been beaten. Clearly they are the Greatest Team of all.
First team to remain undefeated through an entire home-and away season (never matched).
First team to score more than 2,000 points in a single season.
First team to have a full-forward scoring more than 100 goals in a single season.
First team to have a player kick 16 goals in a single match.
Lost only 12 quarters for the season.
Gordon Coventry won the Goalkicking award
Albert Collier won the Brownlow
And of course this was the third of 4 premierships in a row.
Had an incredible percentage of 171.7
There were no neutral grounds like today. So to remain undefeated in 1929 Collingwood won away games at Glenferrie Oval, Corio Oval, Arden St, Junction Oval, Windy Hill, Punt Rd Oval, Lake Oval, Brunswick St Oval and MCG. An incredible effort considering the Home Ground advantage these teams had. The greatest team ever. Part of the incredible ‘Machine’ and known as ‘The Bradman’s of Football’.
This is a very good "series" you have going with these posts/threads. I'm sure a lot of people really enjoy reading this sort of thing. The more (of this) the merrier, I'd say!

Just regarding the quarters lost for the season, the figure should be 19 (P80 - W58/L19/T3), with 15 H&A and 4 Finals. That's still the lowest number of quarters we have lost in a season, and 23.75% of quarters lost also represents our best ever figure. Geelong 1897 is the only other team to have lost so few quarters in a season, but that was from just 68 played (27.94%). Essendon 2000 (with 20 lost of 100) beats our % figure with just 20%, as does Hawthorn 2015 with 23.08% (24 of 104 quarters lost).

Last game of the season they had a chance to kick point to average 100 points per game over the season, sadly it went out on the full.
This doesn't seem to match Collingwood's 1929 season! We played 20 games (including the 2 finals) and scored 2,058 points, giving the team an average score of 102.9. We averaged 106.6 over the 18 H&A games, so reaching that average of 100 was comfortably achieved.

The closest we've come to an average of 100 (but just missed out) was in 1985 (99.9), where if we'd scored one more goal we'd have averaged 100.1! In 1992 H&A we averaged 99.8 and one more goal would have got us to the 100+ mark. We played one final that year.

And I believe last time we won the flag in white shorts.
We were still in the white shorts on Grand Final day in 1930. This photo would have been taken on the ground prior to the game. That would be the last time (we won it wearing white).
Collingwood_1930_-_Australasian__18-Oct-1930_p29.jpg

Collingwood 1930 - Australasian 18-Oct-1930 p29
http://boylesfootballphotos.net.au/Collingwood+Team+Photos

Edit: Note the clenched fists on Albert Collier! He really was a serious competitor!!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incredible to think that they played with just 18 men in those days. A bad injury to a player in the first five minutes of a game would have made life tough!

In 1930 the 19th man was allowed.

This doesn't seem to match Collingwood's 1929 season! We played 20 games (including the 2 finals) and scored 2,058 points, giving the team an average score of 102.9. We averaged 106.6 over the 18 H&A games, so reaching that average of 100 was comfortably achieved.

The closest we've come to an average of 100 (but just missed out) was in 1985 (99.9), where if we'd scored one more goal we'd have averaged 100.1! In 1992 H&A we averaged 99.8 and one more goal would have got us to the 100+ mark. We played one final that year.
Wow, awesome stats, you really know your stuff.
I had no idea, I just guessed - I was running with the whole Bradman test average comparison.

Get goosebumps whenever I hear about The Machine. Can’t separate their incredible success from what was happening in Collingwood (the suburb) in that era of the Depression. Enormous poverty, malnutrition, social upheaval - and the greatest football team in the country. The club did a lot for their community, but winning four flags in a row was the greatest of gifts.
An hour or so ago I saw a post (very briefly before it disappeared) in this thread that had some photos of "life at Collingwood" that presumably were from that era. Perhaps the poster decided they were off-topic and removed it, but I'd say it would absolutely help "tell the story". Would like to see it make a comeback (that post, I mean)!

An hour or so ago I saw a post (very briefly before it disappeared) in this thread that had some photos of "life at Collingwood" that presumably were from that era. Perhaps the poster decided they were off-topic and removed it, but I'd say it would absolutely help "tell the story". Would like to see it make a comeback (that post, I mean)!

Regrettably I didn’t see the post you refer to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back