Collingwood 1990 vs Sydney 2005 vs Geelong 2007 vs Western Bulldogs 2016 vs Richmond 2017 vs Melbourne 2021 - Which is the best drought-breaker?

Best drought-breaker in the last 30 years

• Collingwood 1990

Votes: 15 6.7%
  • Sydney 2005

Votes: 58 26.0%
  • Bulldogs 2016

Votes: 41 18.4%
  • Richmond 2017

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • Melbourne 2021

Votes: 37 16.6%
  • Geelong 2007

Votes: 36 16.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No one talks about Brisbane in 2001 as being a drought breaker and I understand why given the merger stripped away a lot of the Fitzroy identity but I imagine it would have been very emotional for a lot of Fitzroy fans. Hard to go past Sydney for that reason. It was also the first of the modern drought-breakers, and the best game with the most iconic single moment. And the loss in 2006 I think makes it feel even more epic, it showed how fickle the little things like winning flags can be

Excluding the Demons I'd have to go with the Dogs, never so emotionally invested in another club as their last 2 games in 2016. Probably because they were rank underdogs too.

As a lover of the sport though I've enjoyed all these drought breakers, Swans, Cats and Tigers all fantastic. Hopefully the Saints get their chance soon (very unlucky in 2009-10) as well as Freo (was backing them heavily in 2013).

I was disappointed that Sydney and Bulldogs broke their drought.

I was disgusted that Collingwood, Richmond and Geelong broke their droughts.

I didn't mind Melbourne breaking their drought.

Richmond's had the biggest lasting effect on the competition. I'm sure your personal preference wasn't to choose Richmond due to the ripple effect of the coming years, but without doubt, the biggest drought breaker. If I was too chose a 2nd biggest - Geelong - because that club is still causing everyone a headache 10 years later.

The other drought breakers were feel good moments, but hardly had an ongoing effect on the competition and its stakeholders.

- Dynasty began.
- The Bandwagon support lead to Richmond becoming the first ever AFL club to pass 100,000 members.
- Thanks to the aforementioned - The AFL hit 1,000,000 members for the first time.
- AFL & Club Merchadise records broken. In 2019 - Richmond sold more merchandise than Collingwood and West Coast combined.
- The AFL broke their all time attendance yearly records thanks to the resurgence of Richmond.
- Swan Street went berserk- to the point where the state government needed to intervene in the following years to ensure there's increased police presence around Melbourne's CBD and inner city suburbs on Grand final night.
- Adelaide crumbled - the heartbreaking loss led to their maiden wooden spoon an exodus of players and the start of a new era.
- A series of rule changes introduced by Steve Hocking to increase scoring - and handicapping relentless run and chase defences - the one that Richmond mastered. (The stand on the mark rule handicapped Richmond's small forwards and made them virtually ineffective).
- Collingwood's victory over Richmond 2018 gave them belief they were in 'their window' and overpaid Grundy, Moore, Treloar, etc, to go again in 2019 and 2020 - leading to the fallout that saw Eddie and Buckley's tenure end with the club and Treloar's movement to the dogs amongst other bits of fallout.
- First ever interstate Grand final won by a Victorian team (LOL).

Im sure there's more, but yes, Richmond 2017 was special.

You just can't beat 'Leo Barry you star' and 'here it is'.

Richmond's had the biggest lasting effect on the competition. I'm sure your personal preference wasn't to choose Richmond due to the ripple effect of the coming years, but without doubt, the biggest drought breaker. If I was too chose a 2nd biggest - Geelong - because that club is still causing everyone a headache 10 years later.

The other drought breakers were feel good moments, but hardly had an ongoing effect on the competition and its stakeholders.

- Dynasty began.
- The Bandwagon support lead to Richmond becoming the first ever AFL club to pass 100,000 members.
- Thanks to the aforementioned - The AFL hit 1,000,000 members for the first time.
- AFL & Club Merchadise records broken. In 2019 - Richmond sold more merchandise than Collingwood and West Coast combined.
- The AFL broke their all time attendance yearly records thanks to the resurgence of Richmond.
- Swan Street went berserk- to the point where the state government needed to intervene in the following years to ensure there's increased police presence around Melbourne's CBD and inner city suburbs on Grand final night.
- Adelaide crumbled - the heartbreaking loss led to their maiden wooden spoon an exodus of players and the start of a new era.
- A series of rule changes introduced by Steve Hocking to increase scoring - and handicapping relentless run and chase defences - the one that Richmond mastered. (The stand on the mark rule handicapped Richmond's small forwards and made them virtually ineffective).
- Collingwood's victory over Richmond 2018 gave them belief they were in 'their window' and overpaid Grundy, Moore, Treloar, etc, to go again in 2019 and 2020 - leading to the fallout that saw Eddie and Buckley's tenure end with the club and Treloar's movement to the dogs amongst other bits of fallout.
- First ever interstate Grand final won by a Victorian team (LOL).

Im sure there's more, but yes, Richmond 2017 was special.

I disagree, Sydney's win had a far bigger impact on the game because it grew support in NSW which means much more money to the league from tv deals, sponsorship etc Then there's all the kids who now play AFL on the back of the success

I disagree, Sydney's win had a far bigger impact on the game because it grew support in NSW which means much more money to the league from tv deals, sponsorship etc Then there's all the kids who now play AFL on the back of the success

Look thats the narrative they want us to believe. But when I went to Sydney, it's NRL central and GAYFL (it's what they call it) is a joke.

A league has grown leaps and bounds. Sydney's success has not been as important as Geelong's success to the City of Geelong.

Look thats the narrative they want us to believe. But when I went to Sydney, it's NRL central and GAYFL (it's what they call it) is a joke.

A league has grown leaps and bounds. Sydney's success has not been as important as Geelong's success to the City of Geelong.

I've worked for several national organisations, it was very rare for work colleagues based in the Northern states to follow an AFL team. Now, every single one follows an AFL team as was as a Rugby one.

Then there's the number of players coming out of those states.

And to finish it off look at how successful Sydney is now off the field compared to 20+ years ago.

It's not anyone's narrative, it's what I've noticed myself, but of course it's just my opinion and i accept that

Geelong 2007 was special. What started as a close match turned into a procession late in the first quarter. By the time Jimmy Bartel scored a goal in the 31m 14s mark, the game was all over.
I was there. Only ticket I could get at the last minute (free) was a $1200 corporate ticket with all the bells and whistles. Watching the game with corporates, most of who were from Sydney, who didnt give a s**t about AFL was challenging. They didn’t get it.

Went with the Bulldogs. 62 years, missed finals 45 of those 62 years. late 80’s rattling the tins to save the club, winning after all those years for the fans that dug into their pockets would of been amazing.

Melbourne next, experienced some very dark days, 22 year finals drought 1965-1986 and another 11 years finals drought 2007-2017, 7 wooden spoons, to finally come out the other end.

South Melbourne/Sydney For the old South Melbourne fans after losing your club to Sydney this could be number one, but there aren’t much South Fans left and for the people in Sydney they didn’t endure a 72 year drought.

Richmond, 1983-2012 only played finals twice, 4 wooden spoons, 14 times in the bottom 4, 6 ninthmonds, 1000’s of microwaved memberships. Lifting that cup putting behind a bad 3 decades for the club.

Geelong, not one wooden spoon in their drought, not once were they bottom 3. 4 Grand Finals in the very exciting Ablett snr era. Their drought wasn’t as tough as others.

Collingwood, 8 Grand Finals and 21 finals series in the 31 year in between premierships.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went with the Bulldogs. 62 years, missed finals 45 of those 62 years. late 80’s rattling the tins to save the club, winning after all those years for the fans that dug into their pockets would of been amazing.

Melbourne next, experienced some very dark days, 22 year finals drought 1965-1986 and another 11 years finals drought 2007-2017, 7 wooden spoons, to finally come out the other end.

South Melbourne/Sydney For the old South Melbourne fans after losing your club to Sydney this could be number one, but there aren’t much South Fans left and for the people in Sydney they didn’t endure a 72 year drought.

Richmond, 1983-2012 only played finals twice, 4 wooden spoons, 14 times in the bottom 4, 6 ninthmonds, 1000’s of microwaved memberships. Lifting that cup putting behind a bad 3 decades for the club.

Geelong, not one wooden spoon in their drought, not once were they bottom 3. 4 Grand Finals in the very exciting Ablett snr era. Their drought wasn’t as tough as others.

Collingwood, 8 Grand Finals and 21 finals series in the 31 year in between premierships.
I had forgotten about the Bulldogs being forced to rattle the tins in the late 80's. That was around the same time as the proposed merger with Fitzroy. Of course Melbourne also faced a merger proposal during its drought, Fitzroy was merged with Brisbane Bears in 1996 to create the Brisbane Lions and be connected to the 2001 drought breaking premiership (mentioned elsewhere on the thread), while South Melbourne was relocated to Sydney in order to stay in existence.

I had to go with Sydney for the best drought breaker, the deciding factor was the way it won the Grand Final.

All of the other teams knew they had the premiership won by midway in the last quarter (Geelong even earlier) while Sydney supporters had to wait until the final siren, just after the Leo Barry mark, before they could start celebrating. That is nerve wracking!

The Sydney win probably felt the most special. It was also as a result of an amazing Grand Final against West Coast.

Ummm, the Eagles attacking style beat Sydney's defence in 2006. That is why the two clubs had all the close games, one was ultra defensive and the other attacking.

Geelong took the Eagles gameplan and went to another level. I've always wondered what rivalry could have existed over that era if the Eagles didn't implode and lose their two best midfielders.
Sadly in comparison to today, Sydney's points for in that era eclipses everyone except Brisbane in 2021, and West Coast would have all 2021 teams covered.

How would you know

Geelong fans, 07, 09 or 11 more magical?
2007 will always be special for obvious reasons, & the fact we hold the record (perhaps forever) as the highest winning margin makes it great... But I will always have a deep love for the 2011 Premiership, footy peaked that year IMO, the absolute strength of competition at the top was unbelievable.....An 18-4 Hawks team about to start a dynasty, a 20-2 Pies team going for back to back & our team going for a 3rd flag in the era with a 19-3 record....And for us to go 6-0 for the year against them teams is quite insane now you look back at it! And just to top it off we had lost our coach & arguably the best player this millennium the previous year!

No one talks about Brisbane in 2001 as being a drought breaker and I understand why given the merger stripped away a lot of the Fitzroy identity but I imagine it would have been very emotional for a lot of Fitzroy fans. Hard to go past Sydney for that reason. It was also the first of the modern drought-breakers, and the best game with the most iconic single moment. And the loss in 2006 I think makes it feel even more epic, it showed how fickle the little things like winning flags can be
while it was a great sports contrst it was the worst afl grand final game.

football was at its lowest ebb in 2005. Utterly shocking standard of game due to all the chip kicking and flooding.

Maybe biased but 1990 without a doubt. It’s 30 years ago now so a lot on here will have no memory of it and the 32 years that led up to it but it dwarfs all

A word was created to describe what the Pies went through. Colliwobbles. All the lost GFs
1964, 4 points
1966, 1 point
1970, 43 point turnaround
1977, draw and replay
1979, Harmes incident
1980, Bartlett and thrashed

All the lost finals. Along with lots of other finals series and looking like May premiers. No Magpie at the ground would believe we could win til Barwick put us 7 goals up 20 mins into last Q. That moment was the first time any Magpie believed it was real and the crowd went crazy. The celebrations went on for months, far too long given maybe we should have thought of 1991 after a while. In November we buried the Colliwobbles at Vic Park and the place was packed.

+ Collingwood even changed their theme song at time. I remember commentators musing whether Collingwood would ever win a Premiership again. Poor Lou Richards would have to pay outrageous debts whenever Collingwood lost an important game (again) … cleaning the Bourke St mall with a toothbrush, and rowing across the Barwon in a bathtub are two famous ones that come to mind.

I think an important factor in these are expectations.

Sydney and Bulldogs were fairy tales. Expectations were low.

By contrast Collingwood, Melbourne and Richmond were proud clubs that regularly churned out Premierships in the years before their droughts.

Back