Collingwood 2016 Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Weird cause Crisp said there would be full match simulation on Friday... pretty sure another player mentioned it in some kind of presser after the game last week too.

Crisp and Howe both said there was a Intra-Club Match on and I posted about it earlier in the Week. Luke M then came on and said there was None Today. Well I think he was told by the Club to tell us that

Crisp and Howe both said there was a Intra-Club Match on and I posted about it earlier in the Week. Luke M then came on and said there was None Today. Well I think he was told by the Club to tell us that

Yeah... weird. Obviously miscommunication or misunderstanding involved somewhere.

Meanwhile at the Guardian
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/mar/17/2016-afl-season-preview-collingwood-and-gws-giants
"Collingwood
2015 ladder position: 12th

2016 predicted ladder range: 4-6th

Just as no club was more blighted by injuries than Collingwood in 2015, it’s possible that none will face greater expectations for rapid improvement in the current campaign. A top-four side at the half-way mark of the past two seasons, the Pies have failed to reach the finals both times. That simply won’t do this year and if we’re honest, given a clean bill of health it’s unlikely to.

Genuine contenders don’t use injuries as excuses but Collingwood truly did endure a nightmare run in 2015, losing five games by under two goals in the second half of the year after they’d been cushioned by a soft draw for the first half. But even when hobbled they pushed the top sides hard. That bodes well for a first-string side. This is a list that should theoretically move to the billing of flag contender across the next 4-5 seasons, a point midfielder Steele Sidebottom made well after the Pies locked him in until the end of 2021. Collingwood’s re-signing of Taylor Adams, Jack Crisp and Adam Oxley can’t hurt to that end, either.

When you look down this playing list and the murderer’s row of high profile off-season recruits, it’s hard to temper expectations. In come brutish midfielder Adam Treloar, high-leaping defender Jeremy Howe and the classy but unfulfilled James Aish, the last of whom is now placed in the best possible position given the support around him. Whether he can break into the senior line-up and stay there remains to be seen. At present he’s well down the pecking order behind the likes of Scott Pendlebury, Dane Swan, Adams and Sidebottom.

There’s good news for Collingwood within existing ranks, too. Hopes remain high that highly-rated swingman Ben Reid has fully recovered from the various ailments that restricted him to just nine games in the past two seasons. Pies assistant coach Scott Burns was ebullient in his praise for Reid over the pre-season period. “However important you think [Alex] Rance is to Richmond,” Burns said, “I reckon Ben Reid is not far off that important at Collingwood.”

Treloar will add another dimension to this side and Jordan de Goey looks a genuine star in the making. The latter is one of many players given extended runs in the seniors in the past few years, a move that should start reaping rewards now. Unburdened by having to be too many things at once, Howe could do anything.

Another thing Collingwood has going for it is a developing list of legitimate forwards to form a multi-faceted scoring plan, one that doesn’t just rely on Travis Cloke and his wonky kicking. Darcy Moore’s putting meat on his bones and has already shown his undisputed class, but Corey Gault and giant American Mason Cox have been the pre-season revelations. They could provide match-up nightmares, especially 211-centimetre Cox. The latter will nevertheless compete with the likes of Jarrod Witts and Brodie Grundy for a ruck slot.

Expectations have well and truly set in for Nathan Buckley and this side, but they’re now also well placed to challenge for the next half-decade thanks to canny recruitment off the back of losing the likes of Dale Thomas, Heath Shaw, Dayne Beams and Sharrod Wellingham. Everywhere you look there’s a younger player who provides a spark; Tom Langdon, Marley Williams, Jack Frost and Oxley in defence, Adams, Treloar, Crisp and Jarryd Blair in the middle, and De Goey, Moore, Alex Fasolo and Jamie Elliot in front of goal.

Considering the blend of established senior stars and top young talent on display here, Collingwood’s long odds in Premiership betting are perhaps generous. If any side from outside last season’s eight finds itself in a preliminary final this year, it could well be the Pies."

Luke M said there was no Intra Club and Friday would be a Normal Training Sessions.

Sure did NOT look like that
Actually Dave, he said there was no Intraclub club 'officially' scheduled, but then went to the trouble of clarifying that there could well be match simulation going on.

Can you try to understand, that while they may have been planning to do an Intra club game, they may have decided that they wanted the flexibility to be able to alter their plans if the forecast thunderstorms came through, and didn't want a couple of hundred disgruntled supporters in the glasshouse complaining about how the club told them a game was on today?

Actually Dave, he said there was no Intraclub club 'officially' scheduled, but then went to the trouble of clarifying that there could well be match simulation going on.

Can you try to understand, that while they may have been planning to do an Intra club game, they may have decided that they wanted the flexibility to be able to alter their plans if the forecast thunderstorms came through, and didn't want a couple of hundred disgruntled supporters in the glasshouse complaining about how the club told them a game was on today?

I took what Luke M said it be nothing Special about Friday Training but they had a Intra-Club.

They could of Tweeted something or had a Article saying how to Follow what is Happening with the Intra Club/Training Session.

Weird cause Crisp said there would be full match simulation on Friday... pretty sure another player mentioned it in some kind of presser after the game last week too.
I'm pretty sure match simulation has been a normal part of training sessions for the last month or so. Nothing to see here...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but coaches and trainers would also not all be on the ground. It wasn't an Intra Club. Just a scrimmage really.

Good Point but we had many before and then make a Big Deal out of this One. Yes it is a Week before the Regular Season one but the Article made it sound Big

I took what Luke M said it be nothing Special about Friday Training but they had a Intra-Club.

They could of Tweeted something or had a Article saying how to Follow what is Happening with the Intra Club/Training Session.
If the club don't want to make a song and dance about doing a match simulation during training, that is their right. They've already had an official intraclub match this year where they've invited the public down. What makes you think they're under any obligation to inform anyone of every little detail of their training sessions?

It's astounding you're making such a big deal over this Dave. The club has done nothing wrong here.

Good Point but we had many before and then make a Big Deal out of this One. Yes it is a Week before the Regular Season one but the Article made it sound Big

If they say, hey everyone we are doing an intraclub then 3 thousand people will rock up and then if they decide not to do it, everyone will complain. They can't win. The club were right, it was not an official intraclub, it wasn't a match. Sure it might have been a final tune up or match simulation but I don't think you missed much.

If the club don't want to make a song and dance about doing a match simulation during training, that is their right.

I agree with that, but it was an open training session wasn't it and I can't understand why a club's PR rep would tell passionate fans like TD that there wasn't going to be an intraclub, when there clearly was one - even if technically it was only match simulation.

I agree with that, but it was an open training session wasn't it and I can't understand why a club's PR rep would tell passionate fans like TD that there wasn't going to be an intraclub, when there clearly was one - even if technically it was only match simulation.
If you go and read the post, he said there is no intraclub planned, which is correct, as an intraclub game involves real umpires etc, but said there may well be match simulation taking place, which happened. I'm really not sure what else lukem could have posted. It was completely accurate. He can't be blamed if TD misinterpreted his post.

If you go and read the post, he said there is no intraclub planned, which is correct, as an intraclub game involves real umpires etc, but said there may well be match simulation taking place, which happened. I'm really not sure what else lukem could have posted. It was completely accurate. He can't be blamed if TD misinterpreted his post.

Well I took it as be Normal Training Session with maybe a few Match Drills. Not a UnOffical Match

Well I took it as be Normal Training Session with maybe a few Match Drills. Not a UnOffical Match
Since when do the club announce exactly what is taking place in each session? You asked if they were doing an intraclub game, Luke said no, but there may be match simulation and you're welcome to attend.
The club is under no obligation to give out fine details of their training plans, and Luke was completely forthright about it. You literally have no reason at all to be complaining.

Mate, you said you weren't going because of the rain. Would you have changed your mind?

You weren't the only one Dave, I posted the same thing in the intra-club thread. The way it was worded confused things and down played it too much. It was closer to an intra-club match than a normal training session.

Think it would have been better to keep the message simple and say something like "While there's not an official intra-club match scheduled, Friday's training session will comprise an informal match stimulation". They also could have then added whatever disclaimers they liked whether that be about cancelations or internet telecasts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back