Analysis Collingwood 2019 AGM

Remove this Banner Ad

That seems like great news!

It’s also interesting the way it’s panned out. I guess in a way it makes sense to wait until the results of the review can be assessed before formally bringing him onto the board. So far, so good, so it seems timely.
I’m really pleased on this and way it’s been done.

Correct behaviour to do this.

Very pleasing.

Dave see above posts.

Whilst being on the committee has some glamour/prestige attached to it, essentially it’s a non paid role.
Yes they will be guaranteed seats to games and lunch dinners etc.
But nearly always they are putting their hands into their pockets. And not small amounts (particularly those that weren’t actual players).
It is likely correct they are reasonably well monied, but they are putting a good sum odf their leisure money into Collingwood. Who knows how much Alex Weisletz and his (I believe now) ex wife have put in?

Then there is the actual director obligations. They actually have legal responsibility for the Club.
In the past for us, I’d venture some Directors put up personal guarantees for Collingwood. That could have been called on with great personal losses by some.

(Other clubs less fortunate that us, rely on the largesse of such Directors.)

The main point I’m conveying, is regardless of the “nice cosy stuff” it’s not for free. Far form it.
Plus they cop lots of advice, abuse when things aren’t going swimmingly. Sometimes even cheap shots just because that’s the link to fans frustration.

Who knows what Ed’s put in, money, time, passion. Though I’d suggest for him, he views Collingwood as part of him, and it’s vital to him. But he’s nonetheless putting in big.
Bolded is correct. I would hazard a guess that $10k in 1959 was a very big sum indeed.

"The new Social Club rooms, situated on the area of the old tennis courts and press box, were another outstanding success. Despite some initial funding problems which saw John Wren Jr, Joseph Wren, Jack Galbally and Jock McHale Jr each having to personally guarantee £10 000 to help secure an important loan, the rooms were finished before the end of the 1959 season. They were opened at a gala evening on 26 August by no less a figure than the state’s Governor, Sir Dallas Brooks."

https://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/a-new-lease-of-life/

Bolded is correct. I would hazard a guess that $10k in 1959 was a very big sum indeed.

"The new Social Club rooms, situated on the area of the old tennis courts and press box, were another outstanding success. Despite some initial funding problems which saw John Wren Jr, Joseph Wren, Jack Galbally and Jock McHale Jr each having to personally guarantee £10 000 to help secure an important loan, the rooms were finished before the end of the 1959 season. They were opened at a gala evening on 26 August by no less a figure than the state’s Governor, Sir Dallas Brooks."

Gordon Carlyon his greatness in all this.

I’ve often wondered if we as a club give enough life memberships to the unsung heroes not sure we really do?

Players, committe types sure.

As an example a lady Marilyn Cook worked for years at the club as did her husband Bill Cook (property steward).
Though we gace a lady life membership who was wife Alex Weislitz recently for her high work in bringing in monies etc.
a mate of mine has been doorman at Carlton for over 20 years, he doesn't get paid and he has to pay for parking at every game.
hope we treat our volunteers better!!

Another article on the 1959 Social Club, from Collingwood Forever:

https://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/the-social-club/

As an aside, in its original form, the Social Club was quite a successful architectural exercise, designed by the (then) prominent architecture firm R.H. McIntyre and Associates. It was built by master builder Clements Langford.

In the image below, I love the classic 1950s awning over the entrance (long gone), and the magpie (which also changed over the years).

The club changed the building in a number of ways over time, which impacted on the original design, not least of all when they added the Bob Rose Stand extension to the facade overlooking the oval. Yarra Council undertook some restoration work to the exterior about 10 years ago, and the club re-fitted the interiors for the philanthropic and not-for-profit groups who now tenant the building.

After the club left, all the memorabilia and pretty much anything which could be removed went with them, which is fair enough. But during the later internal restoration works, some old 'Collingwood' related decoration was found which had been covered up. Which was nice.

1550173417226.png

Last edited:
This is my favourite image of the Social Club in largely its original form, before the Bob Rose Stand was added. Dunlop for sponsors anyone? And look who we were playing.

Again, love the 1950s architectural 'winged' gesture over the bay behind Tuddy's head.

But especially love the hard man at the centre of the image.

1550174431418.png

This is my favourite image of the Social Club in largely its original form, before the Bob Rose Stand was added. Dunlop for sponsors anyone? And look who we were playing.

Again, love the 1950s architectural 'winged' gesture over the bay behind Tuddy's head.

View attachment 619648
Carlton in white shorts against us is classic on the eyes.

This is why when we play them we should always wear white backdrop with black numbers. Regardless if we home or away designated team.

View attachment 619648

I love the Premiership flag flying over the Ryder stand :)

Probably our 1958 flag in which case the photo would have been taken in 1959.

.In the image below, I love the classic 1950s awning over the entrance (long gone), and the magpie (which also changed over the years).

That would have been something very fancy at the time, an awning and a circular driveway emulating the red carpet entrances of movie stars at movie premiers. You could imagine Marilyn Monroe turning up to a gala dinner at Victoria Park with an entrance like that.

Interesting to reflect that no such architectural feature would have even been considered in the New Glasshouse design, despite the opportunity to do so with the driveway next to the Lou Richards statue. In this age such a thing would have seemed a quite gawdy and pretentious.

That would have been something very fancy at the time, an awning and a circular driveway emulating the red carpet entrances of movie stars at movie premiers. You could imagine Marilyn Monroe turning up to a gala dinner at Victoria Park with an entrance like that.

Interesting to reflect that no such architectural feature would have even been considered in the New Glasshouse design, despite the opportunity to do so with the driveway next to the Lou Richards statue. In this age such a thing would have seemed a quite gawdy and pretentious.

Architecturally, I like the new Glasshouse. It’s just the lack of access for fans and members which p’s me off.

Of interest, we’ve had other architecturally distinguished stands at Vic Park. The first 1890s members stand (later replaced by the Sherrin Stand) was designed by none other than the famous William Pitt, a Collingwood man from the beginning. If you look him up below, you’ll see his achievements.

The wiki entry says he designed the Vic Park stand for free, because of his love for the club. Even at the beginning. Good man! Another Collingwood person of taste and intellect.:thumbsu:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Pitt_(architect)

Last edited:
Architecturally, I like the new Glasshouse. It’s just the lack of access for fans and members which p’s me off.

I agree with that.

It’s not a practical building at all for fans who attend training or matches at the oval. The building doesn’t foster much of a community atmosphere ... which, let’s face it, when putting together a brief for a building for the Collingwood Football Club, it really should start with the idea of “Community”. It has the cafe and that’s about it.

I guess like all architecture it’s a symbol of its time. Around the time it was designed, the club did seem to have a bit of a wall up between it and its supporters.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess like all architecture it’s a symbol of its time. Around the time it was designed, the club did seem to have a bit of a wall up between it and it’s supporters.

Interesting take on it 76, and it hadn’t occurred to me to look at it that way. But you make sense.

Of interest, we’ve had other architecturally distinguished stands at Vic Park. The first 1890s members stand (later replaced by the Sherrin Stand) was designed by none other than the famous William Pitt, a Collingwood man from the beginning. If you look him up below, you’ll see his achievements.

The wiki entry says he designed the Vic Park stand for free, because of his love for the club. Even at the beginning. Good man! Another Collingwood person of taste and intellect.:thumbsu:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Pitt_(architect)
And William Pitt the architect shares his name with a British Prime Minister.
Actually shares it with two Prime Ministers named William Pitt.
The father son combination, of William Pitt.

Even more technically the PM was called prime minister of The United Kingdom (Pitt the elder) and then Pitt the younger also was PM of the UK but a name change occurred then became PM of Great Britain.

Last edited:
I agree with that.

It’s not a practical building at all for fans who attend training or matches at the oval. The building doesn’t foster much of a community atmosphere ... which, let’s face it, when putting together a brief for a building for the Collingwood Football Club, it really should start with the idea of “Community”. It has the cafe and that’s about it.

I guess like all architecture it’s a symbol of its time. Around the time it was designed, the club did seem to have a bit of a wall up between it and its supporters.
It’s crap.

It’s crap.

I agree, they should have run a long bar against the back wall :p

(The fact that they didn’t shows that it was designed more as a wedding-type venue that uses table service, rather than as a match day venue that uses a public bar format)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back