Collingwood 2019 - Redemption?

Remove this Banner Ad

When most of your improvement came from young/mid players, its hard to see West Coast not being there abouts again. Back to back is hard , but no easy beats on home turf and starting to travel well away.

Don't reckon we'll go back-to-back. Its just so, so hard to do for interstate teams (and massive credit to Adelaide/ Brisbane for getting it done).

I think we'll play finals and even push for Top 4, but cant currently see us replicating the magic of this year. Losing Gaff and possibly Lycett, as well as Mitchell's coaching and probably some upcoming retirements will affect our 2019 campaign.

Who plays FB and CHF next year?

Same guys who played there this year.

What didn't work with the setup this year? We kick one more goal, or concede one less, and we're premiers. I don't think we need to get impatient or silly and go away from structures and list management strategies that are already sending us in the right direction.

Same guys who played there this year.
And who was that?

Howe and Langdon are the two tallish defenders who played more than 14 games. Two guys who are 190cm.

What didn't work with the setup this year? We kick one more goal, or concede one less, and we're premiers. I don't think we need to get impatient or silly and go away from structures and list management strategies that are already sending us in the right direction.
The various options are some combination of guys who are injury-prone, ageing or not genuine key defenders.

We were missing many of our best 22 in the GF , so adding those players improves us enough to counter the effects of a tougher draw IMO.

Ultimately its the game plan ( that is our competitive advantage against most teams) that will be hard to stop - provided we can have a good run with injuries in 2019.

The rule changes are a huge unknown for all teams regrettably.

Brisbane Dockers games will be swapped out to play two other teams . Will always play Carlton and Essendon twice , as that's how it is

Played reigning premier in Richmond twice.

Draw probably wont change that much. If we have to play Melbourne twice next year thatd be fantastic. Plus assuming one of the 5-8 teams and West Coast

Sadly wont get to play crows twice as they finished too low to be significant after a GF appearance

Yet we beat more top eight sides this year than you. We did it with half a list

Yet we beat more top eight sides this year than you. We did it with half a list

Yeah the Pies went through the entire 2018 season unscathed with an array of fit defenders and midfielders to choose from every week.

Even when you were fully fit, the Pies were eight goals better on your home turf.

Yeah the Pies went through the entire 2018 season unscathed with an array of fit defenders and midfielders to choose from every week.

Even when you were fully fit, the Pies were eight goals better on your home turf.

I was at that game and we had half a side. Got significant injuries in the game as well

I guess the truth of your faliure to beat top eight sides that clearly demonstrates you massively overachieved, was to much to handle. Hence you started making stuff up

1 win against a top eight side during the home and away.

They over achieved more than Richmond last year

They only really had one good game and that was against Richmond in the prelim with an injured Dustin Martin.

Gws had major injuries when they beat them the week before

Collingwood relied on flooding to hold west coast in the second half. The new rule changes are designed to counter those boring negative tactics.
no Fxxkin idea

Still the Pies need to explore conditioning methods to prevent some soft tissue injuries. The Tigers last year had such a good program to prevent injuries and as a result were able to have settled side to win the Grand Final. In the Pies favour is their structures are holding up well and to replace injured players with others to fulfil the structured rolls.
The young blokes like Stephenson and Daicos will benefit with bulking up pre-season and the likes of Sier, Cox and de Goey will only get better.

I was at that game and we had half a side. Got significant injuries in the game as well

I guess the truth of your faliure to beat top eight sides that clearly demonstrates you massively overachieved, was to much to handle. Hence you started making stuff up

Enlighten me - who is missing? Brodie Smith, but then we were missing Taylor Adams.

IMG_4971.JPG

The Pies took zero key defenders into the top four and a grand final and came away one straight kick from the premiership. Even injuries to Treloar, Elliott, De Goey and Howe saw us winning games and making top four

You got slaughtered by eight goals with a fully fit team in the grand final, and then bundled out of the eight the next year embarrassingly when you missed a couple of players with injury.

If Dunn can get back for round 1 that would be a welcome addition. If Jamie Elliott can ever get back to his best then that is a borderline all australian level small forward. Thats a big if though. Scharenberg, I reckon we might get him back around the bye rounds. Hopefully Darcy Moore can shake off those hamstring problems. Last season he was injury prone with his hammies but prior to that he played in most games IIRC. Provided Moore stays.

A few players at Collingwood, even though they were back for finals and the GF, I reckon would benefit from a proper preseason. eg. Treloar was alright when he came back but never really got into the rhythm of things as I know he can. At his best he is a gun. Howe is much better when he can just roam the backline taking intercept marks like in 2017 where he had a fantastic season and was robbed off all australian imo. Will getting Dunn back, maybe bringing in May, hopefully that will enable him to be able to play that role again instead of him playing as a key defender where he is nowhere near as good.

I'd honestly be surprised if we got worse next year - I think improvement is likely. However the other teams around will improve. Richmond might be a different beast with Lynch. Brisbane might be good next year if they get Neale. Essendon with Daniher back might be good. Melbourne will probably improve too. West Coast, Gaff and Sheppard back (Gaff could leave though). GWS, will things truly click for them next season?

It's critical that we re-sign Langdon, Moore and the rest. I hope we can somehow land May as well. If somehow, we were able to keep our players and bring in May as well. WOWEE! I'd be pretty hyped for next season.

Historically speaking, Collingwood is a club which tends to make grand finals. I can see us being there again next year. I got 2009 vibes from this season with Collingwood.

Oh also, some of the younger lads, they might improve hopefully. Stephenson for example might have a bit more bulk next season. Phillips so far has gone up a level every year. Hopefully De Goey's "bone stress" fully heals, that impeded on his season somewhat, could we see him more in midfield next season as a result? Aish is still young, the same goes for Darcy Moore. Maynard? 22 years old. Cox? He's not young but considering he only picked up the game a few years ago he is still improving every season. Could he replicate more of his queens birthday and prelim final form for more of the season?

I reckon things will be clear from about round 7 as to who is a contender next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were missing many of our best 22 in the GF , so adding those players improves us enough to counter the effects of a tougher draw IMO.

Ultimately its the game plan ( that is our competitive advantage against most teams) that will be hard to stop - provided we can have a good run with injuries in 2019.

The rule changes are a huge unknown for all teams regrettably.
Who were Collingwood missing in the gf? Don't say Moore and Reid as they were available

There are 2 things that can happen when you win a flag.
You are suddenly set up for a back-to-back-to-back dynasty

Or

You get a few days to enjoy the flag then suddenly your team is s**t and there are least 8 better sides in the AFL set to overtake you.

Judging by the betting odds we seem to be in catagory 'B.'

Guess Robert Walls will be tipping us for the spoon again. Seeya in 2020 I guess.

Enlighten me - who is missing? Brodie Smith, but then we were missing Taylor Adams.

View attachment 567296

The Pies took zero key defenders into the top four and a grand final and came away one straight kick from the premiership. Even injuries to Treloar, Elliott, De Goey and Howe saw us winning games and making top four

You got slaughtered by eight goals with a fully fit team in the grand final, and then bundled out of the eight the next year embarrassingly when you missed a couple of players with injury.

I can't see the crouch brothers in that side? Our two best midfielders.
Our next best midfielder also hot injured in that game. As were McGovern Betts and macay. Walker and jacobs carried bad Injuries into that game.

As I said you're making s**t up. We had half a side.

Not even going to go near you. Comparing our grand final. That is just so immature. Again you made stuff up

You beat one side in the top eight to make top 4. One side

West coast had thier best ruckman and midcielder.not playing and thier best defender spent two days in hospital before flying out on thursday to play you on your home ground.

And you couldnt beat them. Lol

Accept it. You over achieved. Massively. The soft draw made you look better than you were.

Who were Collingwood missing in the gf? Don't say Moore and Reid as they were available
Whilst Moore and Reid were available though neither had any semblance of match rhythm, if either played in the GF they may certainly wouldn't have had the match sharpness at all. Both, particularly Moore, would have been rusty and probably would've had issues running out the entire game. If we were gonna introduce Reid, it would have to have been for the GWS final. Moore, I don't think he will ever passed fit to play until grand final week, and by then yeah... no sharpness, sub-optimal fitness.

Wells, Elliott, Dunn and Scharenberg (broomhead and kirby too, but idk how much of a part they might have played this season, both were out for the season from very early on, neither has ever really established themselves for us either). The latter two were the biggest losses imo considering they both had great seasons until they got injured. I reckon Dunn does a better job on Kennedy than Goldsack too. The same goes for Scharenberg on Darling vs Howe on Darling. 1 v 1 defending is not Howe's strength. His strength is intercept marking. He is not a key defender but had to play like one in the recent finals series.

For the grand final we were effectively missing Wells, Elliott, Dunn, Scharenberg and Moore.
Wells, I wonder if he's cooked now.
Elliott, has hardly been available to play in a few years.
Dunn is a notable out.
Scharenberg is a big out too.
Moore while "available" wasn't really available tbh, we certainly could have done with a fit and firing Darcy.

Tbh the injuries thankfully started chilling out a bit after like round 20. Throughout the season we were annihilated with injuries but fortunately we were able to get at least a fair few of them back by the end, even some who did return never really got into the rhythm (Treloar was alright but he can do much better - at his best he is a gun). As a result by grand final day i think it was a pretty even playing field injury-wise.

The main outs for West Coast were: Naitanui, Gaff, Sheppard.
The main outs for Collingwood were: Dunn, Scharenberg, Moore.
Played in the GF through notable injury: McGovern and Howe.

I can't see the crouch brothers in that side? Our two best midfielders.
Our next best midfielder also hot injured in that game. As were McGovern Betts and macay. Walker and jacobs carried bad Injuries into that game.

As I said you're making s**t up. We had half a side.

Not even going to go near you. Comparing our grand final. That is just so immature. Again you made stuff up

You beat one side in the top eight to make top 4. One side

West coast had thier best ruckman and midcielder.not playing and thier best defender spent two days in hospital before flying out on thursday to play you on your home ground.

And you couldnt beat them. Lol

Accept it. You over achieved. Massively. The soft draw made you look better than you were.
Lol. We beat Richmond. We beat GWS. We were missing our best key defender. Take the L mate.

Judging by the betting odds we seem to be in catagory 'B.'

Guess Robert Walls will be tipping us for the spoon again. Seeya in 2020 I guess.
those odds are laughable. i guess its cos teams dont tend to go back to back, even when they are sometimes super strong.

Whilst Moore and Reid were available though neither had any semblance of match rhythm, if either played in the GF they may certainly wouldn't have had the match sharpness at all. Both, particularly Moore, would have been rusty and probably would've had issues running out the entire game. If we were gonna introduce Reid, it would have to have been for the GWS final. Moore, I don't think he will ever passed fit to play until grand final week, and by then yeah... no sharpness, sub-optimal fitness.

Wells, Elliott, Dunn and Scharenberg (broomhead and kirby too, but idk how much of a part they might have played this season, both were out for the season from very early on, neither has ever really established themselves for us either). The latter two were the biggest losses imo considering they both had great seasons until they got injured. I reckon Dunn does a better job on Kennedy than Goldsack too. The same goes for Scharenberg on Darling vs Howe on Darling. 1 v 1 defending is not Howe's strength. His strength is intercept marking. He is not a key defender but had to play like one in the recent finals series.

For the grand final we were effectively missing Wells, Elliott, Dunn, Scharenberg and Moore.
Wells, I wonder if he's cooked now.
Elliott, has hardly been available to play in a few years.
Dunn is a notable out.
Scharenberg is a big out too.
Moore while "available" wasn't really available tbh, we certainly could have done with a fit and firing Darcy.

Tbh the injuries thankfully started chilling out a bit after like round 20. Throughout the season we were annihilated with injuries but fortunately we were able to get at least a fair few of them back by the end, even some who did return never really got into the rhythm (Treloar was alright but he can do much better - at his best he is a gun). As a result by grand final day i think it was a pretty even playing field injury-wise.

The main outs for West Coast were: Naitanui, Gaff, Sheppard.
The main outs for Collingwood were: Dunn, Scharenberg, Moore.
Played in the GF through notable injury: McGovern and Howe.

mjl.gif

2 AA's vs ????

I think a big key is Mason Cox and whether he can consistently produce what we saw in the prelim final and patches of in the Grand Final.

Seriously. Pies smashed you on your home turf, made the grand final beating reigning premiers Richmond who were on a red hot streak at the MCG, then lost the Granny by 5 points and your giving him stick?

Mate, your mob didn't play finals. You're way out of your depth.

Collingwood are magnificent.

Last edited:
Of course they can get there again. They are a great team with a very humble coach. Learnt to respect Buckley a lot more this year. But, it's tough to follow up and 17 other teams will try and make it hard for them. Anything can happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back