Collingwood 2019 - Redemption?

Remove this Banner Ad

Same guys who played there this year.

What didn't work with the setup this year? We kick one more goal, or concede one less, and we're premiers. I don't think we need to get impatient or silly and go away from structures and list management strategies that are already sending us in the right direction.
What didn't work was that a team with good tall forwards beat us 3 from 3. Even in the PF which we by and large dominated a good tall forwad kicked 5. If we go with the same as last year we get the same result. If it isn't WCE it will be soemone else. Richmond will have 2 quality tall forwards that we have no matchup for unless Moore stays fit and becomes the backman he isn't yet.

I can't see the crouch brothers in that side? Our two best midfielders.
Our next best midfielder also hot injured in that game. As were McGovern Betts and macay. Walker and jacobs carried bad Injuries into that game.

As I said you're making s**t up. We had half a side.

Not even going to go near you. Comparing our grand final. That is just so immature. Again you made stuff up

You beat one side in the top eight to make top 4. One side

West coast had thier best ruckman and midfielder.not playing and thier best defender spent two days in hospital before flying out on thursday to play you on your home ground.

And you couldnt beat them. Lol

Accept it. You over achieved. Massively. The soft draw made you look better than you were.

You are genuinely hilarious. Great to have something to get me laughing again. This rubbish coming from an adelaide supporter?? Really?? The team that was absolutely embarrassed on footy's biggest day 12 months ago. Actually embarrassed is probably being conservative. The team who has so many off field issues it's kept us all entertained all year. McGovern wants out less than 12 months after signing a new contract. Hampton would rather retire in his mid-20's than play at the club. Betts would leave if any one was interested but he's too old. A captain who embarrasses himself in the media over and over.A coach and footy manager who dished up what we thought was the funniest press conference of the year re the pre season camp - until the morons who ran the camp dished up their own belter. Also love the excuses re the loss to pies in rnd 4 - it was just a complete destroyation from start to finish

Pies went within 2 mins of a flag despite having their 4 1st choice key defenders unavailable from about rnd 16, their best midfielder missing 10 weeks and then being nowhere near his explosive best in finals, their game breaker on one leg since about rnd 17 and their best forward not playing a game all year. Yeah got so lucky.

Tougher draw might hurt their chances I think. Good side but everything would have to go right for them I feel to make it to another GF.
Forward line just doesn’t look that imposing on paper and defence can be shaky when teams have multiple options.
Have to disagree on the "everything would have to go right for us". Plenty went wrong this year and we still managed to overcome a lot of it to make the big one.

You are genuinely hilarious. Great to have something to get me laughing again. This rubbish coming from an adelaide supporter?? Really?? The team that was absolutely embarrassed on footy's biggest day 12 months ago. Actually embarrassed is probably being conservative. The team who has so many off field issues it's kept us all entertained all year. McGovern wants out less than 12 months after signing a new contract. Hampton would rather retire in his mid-20's than play at the club. Betts would leave if any one was interested but he's too old. A captain who embarrasses himself in the media over and over.A coach and footy manager who dished up what we thought was the funniest press conference of the year re the pre season camp - until the morons who ran the camp dished up their own belter. Also love the excuses re the loss to pies in rnd 4 - it was just a complete destroyation from start to finish

Pies went within 2 mins of a flag despite having their 4 1st choice key defenders unavailable from about rnd 16, their best midfielder missing 10 weeks and then being nowhere near his explosive best in finals, their game breaker on one leg since about rnd 17 and their best forward not playing a game all year. Yeah got so lucky.
Your both in the same boat. YOU lost!

How dare you start a positive Collingwood thread on the main board? Ow wait, you’re not a Collingwood supporter, so it’s okay...

Reminds me of an old Sheedy quote after they got beat in a grand final ,runners up have a good history of winning the next year errr except Collingwood.

Pies are many people's second team I reckon after such a gallant effort in 2018, and in the granny.

Ha! We were for about 17 minutes after we beat Richmond, after that we were worse than murder
I'll be cheering them on after Geelong next year mate. You guys had balls of steel all year, and had a sensational finals campaign.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still in awe of the great Magpies finals campaign. I thought it was possible on the eve of the finals and did think a Pies-WCE GF could happen. Only for reasons that it wasn't expected and almost no one foreseen it. That can usually transpire, events take place that not many predict. But I still didn't think it would.

Collingwood were awesome and really stepped it up. They matched WCE in Perth and it took WCE a almighty rally and huge effort to win that game with some late brilliance. When the game was on the line it easily could have gone the other way. They withstood a sturdy Giants outfit but the game should have been over earlier. Nonetheless with a quarter to spare it was all to play for. That Prelim win was phenomenal and the Pies produced one of the best halves I've seen in the game. Scintillating display.

The Grand Final - Unreal. The first quarter, the run on, the vintage goals. WCE were bloody brave to withstand that and get themselves back in the game after the demons of 2015 resurfaced. It says it all that the Eagles could fight their way back into it after Richmond couldn't from the same position the week before. The last quarter in the opening minute again the Pies surged and I thought they'd go on with it. It was all over. The Eagles fought back again and again. Collingwood were great though and almost, almost pulled it off and on another day, against another team, the game would have already been over. They met a juggernaut, like themselves, and it could have gone either way. The Pies were magnificent to hold off the Eagles as long as they did as the West Coast had all the momentum in the third, but the Pies kept them at bay.

Love the way the Pies went about it not only in one of the best and most inspiring finals campaigns I've seen from a club, but also for the whole year. Will be supporting the Pies in 2019 after Geelong and I think you guys will win it. And I hope you do. I don't think the Catters will salute, so,

Go the Pies!

Still in awe of the great Magpies finals campaign. I thought it was possible on the eve of the finals and did think a Pies-WCE GF could happen. Only for reasons that it wasn't expected and almost no one foreseen it. That can usually transpire, events take place that not many predict. But I still didn't think it would.

Collingwood were awesome and really stepped it up. They matched WCE in Perth and it took WCE a almighty rally and huge effort to win that game with some late brilliance. When the game was on the line it easily could have gone the other way. They withstood a sturdy Giants outfit but the game should have been over earlier. Nonetheless with a quarter to spare it was all to play for. That Prelim win was phenomenal and the Pies produced one of the best halves I've seen in the game. Scintillating display.

The Grand Final - Unreal. The first quarter, the run on, the vintage goals. WCE were bloody brave to withstand that and get themselves back in the game after the demons of 2015 resurfaced. It says it all that the Eagles could fight their way back into it after Richmond couldn't from the same position the week before. The last quarter in the opening minute again the Pies surged and I thought they'd go on with it. It was all over. The Eagles fought back again and again. Collingwood were great though and almost, almost pulled it off and on another day, against another team, the game would have already been over. They met a juggernaut, like themselves, and it could have gone either way. The Pies were magnificent to hold off the Eagles as long as they did as the West Coast had all the momentum in the third, but the Pies kept them at bay.

Love the way the Pies went about it not only in one of the best and most inspiring finals campaigns I've seen from a club, but also for the whole year. Will be supporting the Pies in 2019 after Geelong and I think you guys will win it. And I hope you do. I don't think the Catters will salute, so,

Go the Pies!
You been smoking crack dude?

I think the Pies are a strong chance to repeat their Grand Final performance of 2018, and perhaps go one better. The Pies exceeded expectations this season, and surprised many with their exceptional year and stunning finals campaign.

Collingwood have a young list blended with star studded experience, with Stephenson, Phillips an De Goey stepping up along with Thomas and Adams. Cox excelled in the ruck and looms dangerous going forward and almost single handedly dragged his team over the line in the second half of the Grand Final. He's looking at becoming the most dominant big man in the game. Pendlebury, Varcoe, and Sidebottom have class to go with maturity and with other younger players in Maynard, Hoskin-Elliot and Langdon the Pies form a pretty formidable lineup. Chris Mayne showed he can play a role in big games and act as a stopper, and Buckley in charge proved he can manage his troops and going forward takes added confidence and belief after a superb finals run.

Collingwood has a bit of history on their side as the last run of Grand Finals made has been followed up with another crack at the big dance in proceeding years. In 2002 after their narrow loss to Brisbane the black and whites went toe to toe with the Lions again in 03. It wasn't successful but nonetheless they got there, as they did in 2011 against Geelong after defeating the Saints The previous year. With the experience of a battle hardened finals campaign, class, talent, and the bitter agonising taste of defeat, perhaps the Pies have a recipe for success as the sting from losing in 2018 will spur them in to greater heights In 2019.

The Pies are well poised for another serious assault in next year. They'll certainly go close, but can they go all the way?

They'll certainly take some stopping.
Play like they did against the Tiges and who knows. They were immense that night.

They run out of steam though but stuff it - it’s super entertaining footy and lead to one of the best GFs for years

I really rate the Pies

They were one of the big improvers this year and they did very well to get to the last hurdle. Unfortunately for Collingwood, they narrowly lost the GF and it ended up being a missed opportunity for the club. There's no guarantee they will get this far again but in saying that, I think they've still got a lot to work with and I reckon they can contend strongly for the premiership in the next few years. The potential is there.

They arguably have the best depth of established midfielders in the comp. Beams, Adams, Treloar, Sidebottom, Pendlebury is a very good top 5 in terms of pure midfield quality. A nice mix of grunt and class in there. Also deserving of a mention is the improving Tom Phillips and the promising Brayden Sier. To complement all that is Grundy, one of the best ruckmen in the comp.

In the backline, I like the athletic intercepting medium talls in Langdon and Howe. Crisp and Maynard also improved further in 2018. Question mark is on the key defenders. Goldsack made a return from an ACL injury in time for the finals but durability is questionable, Dunn is coming off an ACL but is aiming for an early return, Scharenberg is coming off another ACL, Reid is a potential option but durability could be a concern, Roughead might play there and that position would probably be his best chance to establish himself in the lineup and then there's Moore who I think has the talent and quality to make the key defender position his own but injuries limited him this year. Overall, the Pies have some nice pieces in the backline, but the key defenders and their potential output in 2019 is a question mark for me.

Up forward, I think it's quite dynamic and quite different to other teams' forward structures. Cox and De Goey are the most dangerous targets, Hoskin-Elliott is equally adept in the air as he is at ground level, Stephenson made an immediate impact in his first year as did Mihocek as a mature-aged recruit and Thomas easily had his best season as a small forward. A lot of improvement was made in this area of the ground individually and collectively. Elliott is the wildcard, hopefully he is fit and available for most of the season because there is no doubt he will have an impact when in the side.

So weighing that all up, I think Collingwood can contend next year if they can again maximise the output and strengths of their players. It's going to be very interesting to see whether the Pies can maintain their top 4 position next year after improving so much this year. Richmond was the only team that finished top 4 in 2017 to finish top 4 again in 2018. It will be difficult as I reckon there are plenty of teams in contention for the top 4 in 2019. Not including the teams that finished top 4 in 2018, teams like Adelaide, GWS, Geelong and Sydney have all recently finished inside the top 4 and I think all of them still have the potential to contend. Also can't discount a really promising side in Essendon who might start to deliver as soon as next year. Who knows. So if Collingwood finish top 4 again next season, I think they will have done very well and should be in a good position come finals.

Pies are many people's second team I reckon after such a gallant effort in 2018, and in the granny.

I have nothing against Collingwood.

Never bought into the 'FIGJAM' reputation attached to Bucks (yeah, he was arrogant and made the wrong choices when he was a teenager but who hasn't?), the fans have been gracious before and after all three games this year, and they play good fair football with no flogs or campaigners in the team - perhaps JDG but every side has a couple of players with off field issues so I'm not going to pretend my side is better than them in that regard.

If we don't go back to back I don't mind if Collingwood grab number 16.

Redemption is nonsense. They had a great year last year in the end, and fell a bees dick short.

Next year they need to get back to that level, and then exceed it.

I see them sliding a bit. Their lack of key position players will cost them. Cox needs to become more consistent, Mihocek is serviceable without being great, Moore is relatively unproven and injury prone, Scharenberg is injury prone, Dunn is 32 in a couple of months and coming off a serious knee injury, Reid is over the hill and can’t get on the park, Roughead is ordinary, etc.

I’m also not really sure what Beams adds that they don’t already have. He’s a good player but they’ve added to the one area of the ground where they’re already stacked. Missing out on Lynch was massive.

I think they finish 6th, especially with a harder draw.

A chance but feel they were a little lucky to be there this year. Just seem a few key players away from being a top side. Should finish top 6 though.
I don’t think Collingwood got lucky at all, I think another team got pretty lucky to be honest.

I see them sliding a bit. Their lack of key position players will cost them. Cox needs to become more consistent, Mihocek is serviceable without being great, Moore is relatively unproven and injury prone, Scharenberg is injury prone, Dunn is 32 in a couple of months and coming off a serious knee injury, Reid is over the hill and can’t get on the park, Roughead is ordinary, etc.

I’m also not really sure what Beams adds that they don’t already have. He’s a good player but they’ve added to the one area of the ground where they’re already stacked. Missing out on Lynch was massive.

I think they finish 6th, especially with a harder draw.
I think Richmond will slide to be honest. Not much depth and lucky with injuries, now with the added cost of Lynch practically no depth.

I think Richmond will slide to be honest. Not much depth and lucky with injuries, now with the added cost of Lynch practically no depth.
That’s lovely, but what does Richmond have to do with this thread?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back