Collingwood 2019 - Redemption?

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Haven't seen many 4 quarter performances from the pies this year, cats have been far more consistent. Having said that I have collingwood as the clear 2nd best side at the moment and it'll be interesting to see whether ablett and danger are rested this week.

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
In a nice position at 7-2. Yet to piece together a 4 quarter performance, I just hope our list is healthier than last year at the pointy end. We really need to work on our clearances to be the best team imo. Backline is very very good and forward line is dynamic and hard to match-up.

[QUOTE="Zoom, post: 60314414, member: 194471" Any decent side would’ve put Bulldogs to the sword. .[/QUOTE]
Interesting

Nebula1971

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
F1 McLaren
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/magpies-make-history-stopping-fast-starts-20190521-p51pqg.html

We would be pretty lethal if we could put together a 4 quarter performance. Hopefully building in that direction...

This .

I’ve been an avid Buckley supporter. You won’t find one negative post about him. The man is a genius how he has built this club. Sacrificed a win loss ratio to eliminate what he believed to be cancerous to the club whilst putting his head on a chopping block in doing so. Injuries have cursed him from the minute he walked into the club. I believe he has something up his sleeve that he hasn’t yet revealed.

We have another gear. We just haven’t switched it on yet. I’m not the most optimistic supporter, so the next bit is uncharacteristic of me. If all goes well on the injury front, I don’t fear any sides. I respect West Coast and Geelong as we haven’t yet completely unlocked the code, but on paper, I believe we could be unstoppable.

Long way to go though and it can all change very quickly. We’re all aware of that. I wouldn’t ride off the Giants, Bombers and Tigers either.

DrakeOMalfoy

All Australian
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
They're winning games despite being far from their best, which at this point of the year is all you can ask for.

Enough wins on the board to get top 2/4 and then aim to run into peak form towards the tail end of the H&A.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
They're winning games despite being far from their best, which at this point of the year is all you can ask for.

Enough wins on the board to get top 2/4 and then aim to run into peak form towards the tail end of the H&A.

How far would you say they are from the best, given that they were a kick away from a flag last year, and (if they lose to the Dockers at the MCG next week, and the Giants win their next two) will mathematically be only as low as 3rd by the half way point in the season, with a healthy percentage (better than they had last year)?

DrakeOMalfoy

All Australian
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
How far would you say they are from the best, given that they were a kick away from a flag last year, and (if they lose to the Dockers at the MCG next week, and the Giants win their next two) will mathematically be only as low as 3rd by the half way point in the season, with a healthy percentage (better than they had last year)?

Far from ‘their’ best, not ‘the’ best.

I think they’re capable of playing much better footy than they are at the moment.

I’d say the Pies at their best will be the best this season.

Last edited:

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Pies have looked average for a while imo. Got the win today against an ordinary Melbourne side devoid of skill and belief who quite easily could have got them if they had a little more of both. Nonetheless I will stand by my pre-season prediction with the Magpies saluting as I have belief in their ability to shine when it matters most.

9-3 is all that matters for the time being. Boxes ticked.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
The Pies Run Home

Roos
Hawks
WCE Away
Giants Away
Richmond
Gold Coast
Melbourne
Adelaide Away
Essendon

The Good - 5 of those 9 games are at the MCG. The other is at Marvel against a side they dominate.
The Bad - 3 brutal away games

On the bad, they have good records against the sides they're playing away, or at least in the case of GWS and Adelaide. The Pies beat them up at Spotless in 2016 when they failed to make the 8 and the Giants made the Prelims. A year later they almost got them again with the Giants also appearing on '' almost '' the Grand Stage. An injury hit Magpies rolled the Crows there last year on a Friday night, and in Perth have at least put in some strong performances in their history ( at least at times ) even if they have fallen short. Some fins wins in WA nonetheless.

I believe the Pies scalp at least one on the road. They could very well get two, and 3 isn't beyond them. In all likelihood I'd guess they'll snare two and with these big sides all playing against one another, one road victory may suffice. 6 wins minimum for the Pies.

It's a tough run home but the Maggies will rise to the challenge. They're timing their run like the Eagles you feel and Buckley will have them prime for September.

That's when it matters. That's all that matters.

Last edited:

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
8 point game in a coupla weeks - knock us off on our dungheap and there will be a lot of belief
No Hutchings for us which will make it interesting if Sidebottom gets off the chain. I reckon it will be a close one and a real 50/50, winner likely to finish 2nd and loser 3rd.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
In 2018

West Coast were 10-1 after 11 rounds.

West Coast were 10-4 after 14 rounds.

Meh

That doesn't excuse the form though, carry the same form we won't win any games at all. Although it's likely it will improve the question is will it enough to win another 6 or 7 games?

Right now you'd argue in the no.

Hawthorn are a dangerous proposition and then it gets really really tough. WC and giants away then Rich, GC, Dees, Ade and Essendon.

I think I have every right to doubt this team.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
A “half empty glass has been emptied smashed, crushed into a million pieces then thrown into the middle of a nuclear fusion explosion” kinda guy huh

That's probably a little dramatic Al. Sure I can understand that it's possible but right now the best to worst is probably wider than most teams, not sure if we can just "flick the switch" which is what will be required.

Jul 3, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Heat, Victory, Man Utd, Redskins
Right now we need a bit of cattle back.

Take a few of our interceptors out of the back half (Howe and Langdon) and our midfield has to sag back to help.

No Beams and Adams in the midfield and the depth drops away a bit.

Stephenson is a big loss up forward. We gave learnt to live without Elliott but Stevo makes the unorthodox mix work as he can play leadup or crumb.

All clubs have injuries though and we have held up ok. But you need luck to win flags.

Think we will be average for a while longer then hopefully show something closer to round 22.

Back