Club Focus Collingwood 2020 - Henry, Macrae, McInnes, Poulter, McMahon, McCreery

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 Collingwood club focus thread

Why can't Lynch get a game? seems to be tracking nicely for a 21/22 year old ruck/fwd?
Been a fan of him for the last two years and he could be one that looks for other opportunities. If his forward craft was a little more advanced he’d probably be in for Coxy. More of your first ruck at this stage so his only chance of getting a senior gig is if Grundy goes down.

Why can't Lynch get a game? seems to be tracking nicely for a 21/22 year old ruck/fwd?

Not Sure. Should be getting a Game Head of Cox but won't for Grundy unless he gets Injured

Trade:

Sier, Elliott, Thomas.

Contemplate Sidebottom if a decent offer was put forth.

Delist:

Crocker, Murray, Madgen

Retire:

Wells, Maybe Reid.

Bring in Via Trade/FA:

Tomlinson, Papley

Draft:

KPF, Speed, Elite Kicking.

agree with everything except Tomlinson. Not a fan of him at all. He is often beaten in the contest far too easily for a guy his size. He isn't fast and doesn't find enough of the footy to be damaging with it. At 25 he should be in his prime now but is still a very mediocre player. Would much rather going after Finlayson, who fills that KPF role we need and has tremendous natural ability, great hands and a magnificent kick of the footy.

agree with everything except Tomlinson. Not a fan of him at all. He is often beaten in the contest far too easily for a guy his size. He isn't fast and doesn't find enough of the footy to be damaging with it. At 25 he should be in his prime now but is still a very mediocre player. Would much rather going after Finlayson, who fills that KPF role we need and has tremendous natural ability, great hands and a magnificent kick of the footy.

Finalyson going no where

Collingwood needs to get some Key position players in and get rid of some of the injury plagued players. Resigning Varcoe due to his Wealth of experience and not getting rid of it all at once.

Draft Picks: 33,51,63,69
Trade: Elliot and Sier
Retire Delist: Reid, Goldsack, Dunn, Crocker, Wells, Broomhead.

Resign:
Jack Madgen 1 Year
Max Lynch 2 years
Sam Murray 1 Year
Travis Varcoe 1 Year
Levi Greenwood 1 year
John Noble 1 Year
Rupert Willis 1 Year

Trade Targets:
Callum Moore Richmond Key Forward
Jake Kelly Adelaide Third Tall Defender
Tim O’Brien Hawthorn Tall Forward

I’d also be keen on targeting Ben McKay.

Still under contract for another couple of years, however unlikely to get many opportunities in the short term still with a few ahead of him (Tarrant, Durdin and Daw).

Still developing. Ruckmen take a while, especially one who has a soccer background and only discovered footy a couple years ago. But has been developing nicely this year. Only 20 years old, plenty of time.

COLLINGWOOD

I've got 1 rookie in Murray un-signed, 12 uncontracted player including Elliott as a RFA, Goldsack and Reid as free agents.

Re-signings: Only ones I would lock away from the un-contracted are Elliott, Sier, Max Lynch and John Noble.

Elliott is a no-brainer unless offered a substantial increase elsewhere that is well outside Collingwood's expectations of him.

Sier has definite value on the open market I think and if Collingwood low-ball an offer he shouldn't feel against his rights to go elsewhere. Prototype of the modern midfielder who has had some off field queries but his on field talent and scope for greater improvement is big.

Lynch to hold onto for ruck depth. Keep pumping games into him at VFL level and John Noble is worth holding onto.

TRADE

Following players on the trade table and see what you can get: Broomhead, Wills, Crocker, Madgen.

My opinion is that their seems to be room for only one of Sier or Wills. Makes Wills expendable and if I was Collingwood you just accept the best offer going around. Would fit into or be much closer at senior selection in a number of other midfields across the competition.

Broomhead has been unlucky with injury. See what you can get or rookie list.

Crocker wouldn't be worth much on the free market unless for a team desperate for small forward depth. Up to Collingwood to decide whether de-list or rookie after that.

Magden is a guy that wouldn't need developing physically. Break glass in case of emergency if he stays at Collingwood.

DE-LIST / RETIRE

Leave the decision with Goldsack and Reid if they want to continue. They've given enough service to leave on their own terms.

Wells, Varcoe and Dunn extend with rolling contracts if they wish to continue but the only one who structurally could command a best 22 role is Dunn.

Leave the decision in Greenwood's corner. If he wants to continue his experience would be valuable elsewhere but should be on the strongest 22 outer at Collingwood going into the new decade.

Murray is a tough case to settle on. Was a key role player in the AFL side during 2018 before suspension with his drive out of defence. Probably de-list with a re-rookie caveat.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish Dave. How many games has he played in the VFL as a forward mainly, pinch hitting in the ruck? He's a first ruck only at this point in his career.

Well then I would not blame him Leaving the Club IF he just a Ruckman as won't be getting any games ahead of Grundy Then

In all honesty if you could get even a 4th rounder for any one of these players or even all combined you would jump at it, All are delist material

Agree TG. Think Wills is the best chance to get some value from.

Has the traits that modern midfields want and if he can get into the right team I can see him being another JPK like success story when he moved from Hawthorn to Sydney.

Maybe not at that high level as consistently but a change would be ideal for Wills.

In all honesty if you could get even a 4th rounder for any one of these players or even all combined you would jump at it, All are delist material
Broomhead/Crocker yes delist. Wills may get us a late pick but most likely delist despite the fact he is currently in the team, just too slow.

Madgen I was keen to delist but he actually looked somewhat decent last week and we can keep him on the rookie list for another year so maybe that saves him.

Quiet off season this one for us i reckon with an huge priority on retention of Grundy, JDG and Moore next season.

The over 30s not an problem as not many are integral to the side.
Guys like Goldsack, Dunn, Wells will be going.
Varcoe will be pretty close.

We should begin to start opening up cap space in the next 12 months or so as we will most likely go to the draft in order to balance the books with our uncontracted stars.

AFL website has an article about players who are still out-of-contract as of this morning. Links are to player threads if we have one for 2019.

Out of contract: Tim Broomhead, Ben Crocker, Lynden Dunn, Jamie Elliott, Tyson Goldsack, Levi Greenwood, Max Lynch, Jack Madgen, Sam Murray, John Noble, Ben Reid, Brayden Sier, Travis Varcoe, Daniel Wells, Rupert Wills

"An announcement is imminent about a new two-year deal for Sier, while Elliott's five-goal haul last week was his best since 2015 and he won't have an issue earning a fresh contract. Greenwood remains a senior regular, and Reid will need to prove his fitness but his form was good before his latest injury. Noble's also shown promise since being a mid-season draftee and is set to continue next year. It gets a bit murkier from there for the other out-of-contract Pies, with Dunn coming off a knee reconstruction and Murray awaiting the result of his ASADA hearing. Wells' manager, Liam Pickering, is on record as saying he doubts his client will play beyond this season."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back