Club Focus Collingwood 2020 - Henry, Macrae, McInnes, Poulter, McMahon, McCreery

AFL Club Focus
2019 Collingwood club focus thread

Data from footywire. To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

scratchy09

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Even though we have an old list, we aren't in desperate need of youth this year. For the older players, Goldsack will most likely retire. Varcoe and Greenwood should be offered one year deals and for Wells, Reid and Dunn, it is up to them. I'd like to keep them but it would be up to if they want to play on, and if they want to play on for close to minimum contracts but in the end, it is up to them if they want to play on.

For our other uncontracted players, I'd like to see a two year deal offered to Elliott, while Wills, Madgen, Lynch and Noble. Murray will be de-listed. As for Broomhead and Crocker, I think it comes down to how many players retire this season. Sier is an interesting one. I think he has great potential but he appears to have attitude issues and Wills seems better than him in every way. He gets a contract of course but I wouldn't mind trading him.

As for trading and drafting. I personally think we should not bring anyone in except Riley Grundy (anything to help Brodie stay) and target the 2020 draft and in particular Will Phillips (top 5 prospect) as he is a Pies fan himself, is great with both feet and has speed. Would be a great addition to our midfield. To get the assets in order to trade up, I'd try off-load Sier to a club like Essendon for a future 2nd round pick. I'd also potentially off-load Josh Thomas as he is a surplus in our forward line and could command a future 3rd (maybe 2nd) from a club that needs a small forward. For this years draft I believe the rounds our picks are in are the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 4th. I'd only use 3 picks and target a KPP with our first pick, and then best available with the last two. I'd try trade one of the 4ths for Riley Grundy as well, maybe the 3rd.

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well I can’t see Murray, Wills and Madgen getting delisted now. Looks like Crocker and Broomhead will be the only ones to get the chop.

With Goldsack and Wells retiring that is 3 off the senior and 1 off the rookie list. I guess Varcoe may be super unlucky here to help have some list turnover, I would personally keep Varcoe.

Well I can’t see Murray, Wills and Madgen getting delisted now. Looks like Crocker and Broomhead will be the only ones to get the chop.

With Goldsack and Wells retiring that is 3 off the senior and 1 off the rookie list. I guess Varcoe may be super unlucky here to help have some list turnover

Murry will get at least a Year on the Rookie list like Keeffe and Thomas was given.

No way in Hell Wills goes now after his Big Game in the QF.

Not a Huge Fan of Madgen Staying. Rather Keep Broomhead.

Crocker should of gone last season but he had a Contract still

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Murry will get at least a Year on the Rookie list like Keeffe and Thomas was given.

No way in Hell Wills goes now after his Big Game in the QF.

Not a Huge Fan of Madgen Staying. Rather Keep Broomhead.

Crocker should of gone last season but he had a Contract still
correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is Madgen can be kept as a category B rookie for one more year so there is no benefit of not keeping him

Nuwanda

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
When you look at the team on the park, only Pendles is over 30 and he is still an AA.

Dunn and Wells in particular really push the average age up. Goldsack has already retired. Varcoe may follow with Dunn and Wells. Once those guys are gone, the average age drops significantly.

The Pies have some developing talls in the VFL. Kelly should come on barring injury next year. The Irish KPP will take some time.

Maybe we can look for the next Mihocek while these kids are developing unless some kid pops from the draft.

When you look at the team on the park, only Pendles is over 30 and he is still an AA.

Dunn and Wells in particular really push the average age up. Goldsack has already retired. Varcoe may follow with Dunn and Wells. Once those guys are gone, the average age drops significantly.

The Pies have some developing talls in the VFL. Kelly should come on barring injury next year. The Irish KPP will take some time.

Maybe we can look for the next Mihocek while these kids are developing unless some kid pops from the draft.

Wilson has also looked very Promising in the VFL

Magpie Ian

Draftee
Sep 27, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
After last years poor trading of a mid on 4 years taking up our cap when we could of got Finlayson for a bag of chips.
this year we need to do something BOLD go all out for Crow forward Darcy Fogarty.
trade up Sidebottom, Shaz, JT & Aish before they are worthless like Cloke, Nathan Brown & Forsolo.
We need to get some extra picks for the 2020 draft. This year we only need to draft 2 as we can bring up 4- 6 from our Rookie list.

Go Woods

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
our record is up there with the best of them.
Howe, Beams trade for JDG,Crisp,Greenwood.....Treloar, Adams, WHE shall I keep going? Our FA recruiting record is the area we have failed in.

Magpie Ian

Draftee
Sep 27, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
After last years poor trading of a mid on 4 years taking up our cap when we could of got Finlayson for a bag of chips.
this year we need to do something BOLD go all out for Crow forward Darcy Fogarty.
trade up Sidebottom, Shaz, JT & Aish before they are worthless like Cloke, Nathan Brown & Forsolo.
We need to get some extra picks for the 2020 draft. This year we only need to draft 2 as we can bring up 4- 6 from our Rookie list.
Talking last year Dude maybe if we took Finlayson for a bag of chips we could be premiers this year.
Agree on other years trades there have been some rippers as you mention. Maybe Ned Guy was to close to the Beams trade.

scratchy09

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I feel we made our list what it is through trading. Got a great haul for Beams. Got guys like Howe, Dunn, Roughead, Mayne, Varcoe, WHE, and Greenwood all came for incredibly cheap, if at anything at all and all are around the mark for best 22. Plus got Treloar and Adams who will be great contributors for the next 5 years plus the years they have already gave us. Our trading has been one of our best assets over the past 4 years.

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Does Fogarty want to leave Adelaide? He was born there.. why would he want to come here?

And secondly... that's a paradox if I've ever seen one. We get Finlayson.. and Finlayson is never in that ruck contest, never pushes Grundy and Collingwood wins the final by a goal?

But maybe Finlayson pushes Mumford out of the ruck... FREE KICK to Mumford and no Pies goal... and the result is the same.

You need to invent a time machine so we can find out which reality is better.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

Think the more pertinent issue is not so much Collingwood's trades but why they keep failing to land the big fish out of contract/free agent player like Judd or Tom Lynch ??

From the sounds of it, The Pies attempts at wooing Tom Lynch were pretty poor compared to Richmond's stick pitch.

Treloar and Adams etc were decent gets, but hardly massive coups you would expect a club with the wealth and prestige of Collingwood to aim for. I think Eddie and the Pies board need to try be more ruthless/ambition if they want that elusive 16th flag.

morris086

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah nah, you can have Jenkins if you like.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
2004 was a doozy.

OUT: pick 7, Bo Nixon
IN: pick 10, pick 37

OUT: pick 37
IN: Chad Morrison

Pick 7 - Jordan Lewis
Pick 10 - Chris Egan
Pick 37 - Mark LeCras

Not sure what Collingwood and Richmond were smoking in 2000.

OUT: pick 3, Clinton King
IN: pick 7, Steve McKee

Collingwood with picks 1 and 3 turned that into Josh Fraser and Danny Roach. Richmond upgraded pick 7 to 3 and then turned it into Aaron Fiora. McKee was a good solider for a few years but meanwhile Pavlich went at 4, Joel Corey at 8, McPharlin at 10 and Glass at 11.

It's swings and roundabouts though. By 2006 Collingwood shipped Tarrant off to Freo and got more out of Paul Medhurst coming back while getting Ben Reid and Nathan Brown in the first round who were the premiership CHB and FB. Richmond joined in again and for their part turned one pick into Graham Polak for a few years and Jack Riewoldt. AFAIC Collingwood's best off season was 2009. Traded in Jolly from Sydney (gave up pick 14 for a 28 year old) and then ended up taking Luke Ball via the draft. Both filled areas of need that took them from around the mark to a genuine flag threat and eventual premier.

Sep 28, 2006
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
LA Lakers,NE Patriots,Liverpool FC

Think the more pertinent issue is not so much Collingwood's trades but why they keep failing to land the big fish out of contract/free agent player like Judd or Tom Lynch ??

From the sounds of it, The Pies attempts at wooing Tom Lynch were pretty poor compared to Richmond's stick pitch.

Treloar and Adams etc were decent gets, but hardly massive coups you would expect a club with the wealth and prestige of Collingwood to aim for. I think Eddie and the Pies board need to try be more ruthless/ambition if they want that elusive 16th flag.

Jon Ralph could have shortened that article right down to 'Ner, ner we got Tom Lynch and you didn't". But click bait counts for plenty and what better way to do it then to try and make fun of Collingwood, while beating the chest of his own club.

Does Fogarty want to leave Adelaide? He was born there.. why would he want to come here?

And secondly... that's a paradox if I've ever seen one. We get Finlayson.. and Finlayson is never in that ruck contest, never pushes Grundy and Collingwood wins the final by a goal?

But maybe Finlayson pushes Mumford out of the ruck... FREE KICK to Mumford and no Pies goal... and the result is the same.

Fogarty wasn’t born in adelaide, he’s a country SA boy.

zhoung

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2009
vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
2004 was a doozy.

OUT: pick 7, Bo Nixon
IN: pick 10, pick 37

OUT: pick 37
IN: Chad Morrison

Pick 7 - Jordan Lewis
Pick 10 - Chris Egan
Pick 37 - Mark LeCras

Not sure what Collingwood and Richmond were smoking in 2000.

OUT: pick 3, Clinton King
IN: pick 7, Steve McKee

Collingwood with picks 1 and 3 turned that into Josh Fraser and Danny Roach. Richmond upgraded pick 7 to 3 and then turned it into Aaron Fiora. McKee was a good solider for a few years but meanwhile Pavlich went at 4, Joel Corey at 8, McPharlin at 10 and Glass at 11.

It's swings and roundabouts though. By 2006 Collingwood shipped Tarrant off to Freo and got more out of Paul Medhurst coming back while getting Ben Reid and Nathan Brown in the first round who were the premiership CHB and FB. Richmond joined in again and for their part turned one pick into Graham Polak for a few years and Jack Riewoldt. AFAIC Collingwood's best off season was 2009. Traded in Jolly from Sydney (gave up pick 14 for a 28 year old) and then ended up taking Luke Ball via the draft. Both filled areas of need that took them from around the mark to a genuine flag threat and eventual premier.

I think you missed 2008
Pick 11 Sidebottom
Pick 29 Beams
Both would be around top 5 performed, picked that year.

SpongePie

Premium Platinum
Feb 14, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood

Didn't the Pies do a draft pick switch with West Coast that saw them get Sheed? Perhaps while your in the time machine sort that one out too please.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
The Pies have had some rotten luck with drafting, there is no doubt Scharenberg would be been a bona fide star if it wasn't for all his cruel injuries.

Am a big fan of how Buckley has reinvented himself as coach, hate to say it, but he will coach Collingwood to a flag.

Staggered why some Pies fans still don't rate him, it was a miracle you were one kick (and De Goey playing) away from making the GF again, given all the injury setbacks they had this season.

Does Beams’ salary fall under the 2020 cap if he retires due to mental heath issues?
Depends if he retires now or after October 31

Back