Review Collingwood 2020 Trade Period Broken Down

Remove this Banner Ad

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I feel this is worthy of its own thread is it is a review of our last trade period moves. I was very curious to look at how the deals look now considering

Tom Phillips trade:
- Hawthorn: Tom Phillips
- Collingwood: Pick 65
I'll start with the simplest of all the trades. I feel Phillips was expendable but we did lose him for major unders and he is starting to show why art Hawthorn, putting together a solid block to start the season. Hawthorn got a best 22 player for the next 5+ years for a pick that was essentially outside of the total number of players drafted.
- Verdict: Hawthorn won the deal

Jaidyn Stephenson trade:
- North Melbourne: Jaidyn Stephenson, Atu Bosenavulagi, Pick 39
- Collingwood: Pick 26, Pick 33, Pick 70
This trade essentially valued Jaidyn Stephenson & Atu Bosenavulagi as the equivalent of pick 21. Now while not a shocking evaluation if we base it off the 2020 season as Stephenson had a disastrous year, it was very much unders considering Stephenson only 2 years prior won the rising star and was drafted at pick 5, plus he has immense potential and Atu seemed to be a solid enough young player. Both are currently in North Melbournes team while Stephenson has probably been in their top 6 players to start the year.
- Verdict: North Melbourne won the deal

Adam Treloar trade:
- Western Bulldogs: Adam Treloar, Pick 26, Pick 33, Pick 42
- Collingwood: Pick 14, WB 2021 2nd round pick, pay 300k of Treloars salary for the next 5 years.
This deal could be the worst trade of all time. If the draft were to be based off current ladder positions, this deal essentially becomes Western Bulldogs receive Adam Treloar, Pick 59 while Collingwood receive nothing, while still paying 300k of Treloars salary. I understand we were under salary cap pressure but to make a trade this bad, this one sided that we got no notable picks, actually, we gave them more picks from the Western Bulldogs for a top 25 mid in the comp is just disastrous.
- Verdict: Western Bulldogs completely robbed us and then some in this deal

Pick swap with Brisbane:
- Brisbane: COllingwood 2021 4th, Pick 70
- Collingwood: Pick 66, Pick 68
A small deal but if we finish 2nd last, Brisbane end up with pick 57. This means they won the deal by a value equivalent to pick 66
- Verdict: Brisbane won but this realistically doesn't hurt much but pick 57 would help with Daicos.

Pick swap with GWS:
- GWS: Collingwood 2021 1st
- Collingwood: Pick 24, Pick 30, Geel 2021 4th
Now this trade at the time made some sense as it was a deal that was high risk but high reward. We wanted to give up our first because our first round pick would've been swallowed by Daicos. However, it is starting to majorly backfire as we are performing much worse than the 8-12 range we were expected by most to be in. Assuming Geelong finish 5th, what GWS gave us was the equivalent of pick 10. However, for every further loss, GWS start to laugh more and more. Assuming current ladder positions, this deal looks like GWS winning by the equivalent of pick 17. If we finish last however, this deal will be GWS walking away with the equivalent of pick 9 and there is every chance GWS use pick 1, our own pick to bid on Daicos. I could not think of a worse scenario if that were to happen. I do however don't think we will finish a little higher, like 4th or 5th last but even then, GWS will still be laughing.
- Verdict: While a slightly risky but potentially beneficial deal at the time with logic, it could end up being one of the worst trades of all time

Pick swap with Adelaide:
- Adelaide: Pick 25
- Collingwood: Pick 27, Ade 2021 3rd
If Adelaide finish 13th (personally think they will be between15th-16th come seasons end), this deal will result in us walking away with a net gainwith the equivalent of Pick 47. It also helps with getting Nick Daicos.
- Verdict: It only took 5 trades but we finally won a deal.

1st Pick Swap with Freo
- Fremantle: Pick 27, Pick 59
- Collingwood: Pick 30, Freo 2021 3rd
If Freo finish 9th (personally think will be somewhere from 11th-13th), we walk away from this deal with a net gain of pick 66. Not much but is actually more in our favour asthis draft did not have many picks and pick 59 (while was actually used I think in the late 40s early 50s on a bid match for academy players for Fremantle) fell outside of the actual total number of picks used in this draft. Another trade which helped us land Daicos
- Verdict: Another slight Collingwood win

2nd Pick Swap with Freo
- Fremantle: Pick 48
- Collingwood: Pick 53, Pick 57
Now while we won this deal by the equivalent of pick 66, this was probably the equivalent of a pick swap with picks in the 60s as there were far less picks used.
- Verdict: no real winner

Pick swap with Port
- Port Adelaide: Pick 49, Geelong 2021 4th
- Collingwood: Pick 44
I'm not sure we needed to make this deal. Surely Beau McCreery would've been available at pick 49 as he wasn't a highly touted prospect publically but if those extra 5 spots helped us get what is our best performed recruit so far this season, then I'm very happy we did it. Giving up a Geelong Future 4th isn't a lot but it could've helped us nab Daicos though with a few extra points.
- Verdict: No real winner

Overall, I think an already poor looking trade period, is starting to somehow look worse considering how poor we are doing and how well the bulldogs are going. We gave up players for below market value and really hurt our hand in the 2022 draft, as we will be in serious debt from the Nick Daicos bid. I just wonder what we would be looking like right now if we tried to move De Goey instead of Treloar.

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Add the Beams deal the year before and it looks like a nightmare.
The Beams deal was probably the worst in regards to a 0 logic move. At least Treloar was moved for cap reasons (even though we essentially got worse than nothing for him). The Beams deal is probably what has caused a lot of these cap issues.

I feel this is worthy of its own thread is it is a review of our last trade period moves. I was very curious to look at how the deals look now considering

Tom Phillips trade:
- Hawthorn: Tom Phillips
- Collingwood: Pick 65
I'll start with the simplest of all the trades. I feel Phillips was expendable but we did lose him for major unders and he is starting to show why art Hawthorn, putting together a solid block to start the season. Hawthorn got a best 22 player for the next 5+ years for a pick that was essentially outside of the total number of players drafted.
- Verdict: Hawthorn won the deal

Jaidyn Stephenson trade:
- North Melbourne: Jaidyn Stephenson, Atu Bosenavulagi, Pick 39
- Collingwood: Pick 26, Pick 33, Pick 70
This trade essentially valued Jaidyn Stephenson & Atu Bosenavulagi as the equivalent of pick 21. Now while not a shocking evaluation if we base it off the 2020 season as Stephenson had a disastrous year, it was very much unders considering Stephenson only 2 years prior won the rising star and was drafted at pick 5, plus he has immense potential and Atu seemed to be a solid enough young player. Both are currently in North Melbournes team while Stephenson has probably been in their top 6 players to start the year.
- Verdict: North Melbourne won the deal

Adam Treloar trade:
- Western Bulldogs: Adam Treloar, Pick 26, Pick 33, Pick 42
- Collingwood: Pick 14, WB 2021 2nd round pick, pay 300k of Treloars salary for the next 5 years.
This deal could be the worst trade of all time. If the draft were to be based off current ladder positions, this deal essentially becomes Western Bulldogs receive Adam Treloar, Pick 59 while Collingwood receive nothing, while still paying 300k of Treloars salary. I understand we were under salary cap pressure but to make a trade this bad, this one sided that we got no notable picks, actually, we gave them more picks from the Western Bulldogs for a top 25 mid in the comp is just disastrous.
- Verdict: Western Bulldogs completely robbed us and then some in this deal

Pick swap with Brisbane:
- Brisbane: COllingwood 2021 4th, Pick 70
- Collingwood: Pick 66, Pick 68
A small deal but if we finish 2nd last, Brisbane end up with pick 57. This means they won the deal by a value equivalent to pick 66
- Verdict: Brisbane won but this realistically doesn't hurt much but pick 57 would help with Daicos.

Pick swap with GWS:
- GWS: Collingwood 2021 1st
- Collingwood: Pick 24, Pick 30, Geel 2021 4th
Now this trade at the time made some sense as it was a deal that was high risk but high reward. We wanted to give up our first because our first round pick would've been swallowed by Daicos. However, it is starting to majorly backfire as we are performing much worse than the 8-12 range we were expected by most to be in. Assuming Geelong finish 5th, what GWS gave us was the equivalent of pick 10. However, for every further loss, GWS start to laugh more and more. Assuming current ladder positions, this deal looks like GWS winning by the equivalent of pick 17. If we finish last however, this deal will be GWS walking away with the equivalent of pick 9 and there is every chance GWS use pick 1, our own pick to bid on Daicos. I could not think of a worse scenario if that were to happen. I do however don't think we will finish a little higher, like 4th or 5th last but even then, GWS will still be laughing.
- Verdict: While a slightly risky but potentially beneficial deal at the time with logic, it could end up being one of the worst trades of all time

Pick swap with Adelaide:
- Adelaide: Pick 25
- Collingwood: Pick 27, Ade 2021 3rd
If Adelaide finish 13th (personally think they will be between15th-16th come seasons end), this deal will result in us walking away with a net gainwith the equivalent of Pick 47. It also helps with getting Nick Daicos.
- Verdict: It only took 5 trades but we finally won a deal.

1st Pick Swap with Freo
- Fremantle: Pick 27, Pick 59
- Collingwood: Pick 30, Freo 2021 3rd
If Freo finish 9th (personally think will be somewhere from 11th-13th), we walk away from this deal with a net gain of pick 66. Not much but is actually more in our favour asthis draft did not have many picks and pick 59 (while was actually used I think in the late 40s early 50s on a bid match for academy players for Fremantle) fell outside of the actual total number of picks used in this draft. Another trade which helped us land Daicos
- Verdict: Another slight Collingwood win

2nd Pick Swap with Freo
- Fremantle: Pick 48
- Collingwood: Pick 53, Pick 57
Now while we won this deal by the equivalent of pick 66, this was probably the equivalent of a pick swap with picks in the 60s as there were far less picks used.
- Verdict: no real winner

Pick swap with Port
- Port Adelaide: Pick 49, Geelong 2021 4th
- Collingwood: Pick 44
I'm not sure we needed to make this deal. Surely Beau McCreery would've been available at pick 49 as he wasn't a highly touted prospect publically but if those extra 5 spots helped us get what is our best performed recruit so far this season, then I'm very happy we did it. Giving up a Geelong Future 4th isn't a lot but it could've helped us nab Daicos though with a few extra points.
- Verdict: No real winner

Overall, I think an already poor looking trade period, is starting to somehow look worse considering how poor we are doing and how well the bulldogs are going. We gave up players for below market value and really hurt our hand in the 2022 draft, as we will be in serious debt from the Nick Daicos bid. I just wonder what we would be looking like right now if we tried to move De Goey instead of Treloar.
You missed the future second rounder to Hawthorn for two picks in the 40s in a draft not expected to make it far past the 40s...

De Glueie

Senior List
Mar 25, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
What a trade debarcle........

See what i mean that's why everything at Pie land must change.

Go and get Wells who left Geelong to replace Hind .Hind is too hit and miss. Plus wells is a good recruiter Get rid of Ned Guy please.

Get choco williams asap for development and get Buddah Hocking back.

For goodness sake start knocking on Clarkson's door now for senior job or we'll lose him to Carlton

Look at following assistants.

Lepptich
Voss
Hodge
Lewis (ex hawks/Melbourne
Monkhorst

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Id like to compare us to Essendon. They didn't have cap issues but they had players that wanted out, they got first round compensation for Daniher, Pick 8 for Saad and got guys like Caldwell and Peter Wright for cheap and even got value out of Orazio Fantasia. That is a club that did amazing with the hand they were dealt.

Us on the other hand could even get any form of Value from Adam Treloar. It baffles me how many picks we gave up to offload him. Like at the very least, we should've received the dogs future 1st.

chestbrah

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I for one am looking forward to finishing 17th, having no first, second or third rounders due to Daicos points and potato farming-esque trading, filling our quota with late draft Trey Ruscoes and going in to deficit for the 2022 draft.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see the ilk of Josh Schache entre the club as the solution to our KPF woes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id like to compare us to Essendon. They didn't have cap issues but they had players that wanted out, they got first round compensation for Daniher, Pick 8 for Saad and got guys like Caldwell and Peter Wright for cheap and even got value out of Orazio Fantasia. That is a club that did amazing with the hand they were dealt.

Us on the other hand could even get any form of Value from Adam Treloar. It baffles me how many picks we gave up to offload him. Like at the very least, we should've received the dogs future 1st.
Yup. Should have been future 1st and maybe 2022 2nd, but then, we wouldn't have gotten Ollie Henry.
But at the very least we shouldn't have given up anything more than the player. We basically give them the points to match JUH at pick 1..

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yup. Should have been future 1st and maybe 2022 2nd, but then, we wouldn't have gotten Ollie Henry.
But at the very least we shouldn't have given up anything more than the player. We basically give them the points to match JUH at pick 1..
I meant on top of what we did receive because we received nothing

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I for one am looking forward to finishing 17th, having no first, second or third rounders due to Daicos points and potato farming-esque trading, filling our quota with late draft Trey Ruscoes and going in to deficit for the 2022 draft.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see the ilk of Josh Schache entre the club as the solution to our KPF woes.
I think this year, we should look to other teams VFL players who are playing well in the VFL but other clubs don't see as best 22. If we take a punt on like 4 players or so, if 1 or 2 could turn out to be best 22 for the next 5 years, I'd call that a win

You missed the future second rounder to Hawthorn for two picks in the 40s in a draft not expected to make it far past the 40s...
We blinked to ensure we had enough points for McInnes; with the bid not occurring until pick 23 our later picks would have been enough.

The deal had some merit, but we should have waited and reacted if an early bid came.

As it stands currently we gave up pick 19 for pick 23 less a 20% discount.

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Players of such calibre I think we could consider looking at are

- Darcy Fogarty (Could be a good midfielder although is a touch slow)
- Sam Weideman (Probably the most expensive of the listed players here)
- Connor Ballenden (to replace Mason Cox)
- Marcus Adams (could allow us to play Darcy Moore forward more confidently as hewould become our best key defender. Not young and has an injury history)
- Rhys Mathieson (Is a top 25 player in a Brisbane side where you can unfortunately only have 22 players on a field. The 25th best player at Brisbane would have to be good enough for Collingwood)
- Charlie Constable (my only concern is that he is just Brayden Sier from the cattery)
- Will Brodie (the one I am most keen on. Seems to have improved heaps but whenever he plays in the suns best 22, he is played as an outside player. SHould be our number one target IMO)
- Jake Riccardi (Should've drafted him so we weren't in this predicament)
- Sam Hayes/Bailey Williams (I know we don't need a ruck but I really like him as a player. If we could steal either for a 4th round pick, could be great foil to Grundy if he ever needs a break and either would be an upgrade over Max Lynch)
- Riley Collier-Dawkins (Looking unlikely now he will come for anything less than a 2nd round pick as he played his first game and did well on the weekend)
- Luke Dunstan (A bit too old now but will be de-listed and the cheapest option. An upgrade over Greenwood)
- Jack Lonie (Linked to him in the past but could replace Josh Thomas. Would be very cheap as well)

I believe every player listed here either has up-side or ones who will make us a better team, while not breaking the bank account. If we do finish 2nd last, we do have the threat of the pre-season draft.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Players of such calibre I think we could consider looking at are

- Darcy Fogarty (Could be a good midfielder although is a touch slow)
- Sam Weideman (Probably the most expensive of the listed players here)
- Connor Ballenden (to replace Mason Cox)
- Marcus Adams (could allow us to play Darcy Moore forward more confidently as hewould become our best key defender. Not young and has an injury history)
- Rhys Mathieson (Is a top 25 player in a Brisbane side where you can unfortunately only have 22 players on a field. The 25th best player at Brisbane would have to be good enough for Collingwood)
- Charlie Constable (my only concern is that he is just Brayden Sier from the cattery)
- Will Brodie (the one I am most keen on. Seems to have improved heaps but whenever he plays in the suns best 22, he is played as an outside player. SHould be our number one target IMO)
- Jake Riccardi (Should've drafted him so we weren't in this predicament)
- Sam Hayes/Bailey Williams (I know we don't need a ruck but I really like him as a player. If we could steal either for a 4th round pick, could be great foil to Grundy if he ever needs a break and either would be an upgrade over Max Lynch)
- Riley Collier-Dawkins (Looking unlikely now he will come for anything less than a 2nd round pick as he played his first game and did well on the weekend)
- Luke Dunstan (A bit too old now but will be de-listed and the cheapest option. An upgrade over Greenwood)
- Jack Lonie (Linked to him in the past but could replace Josh Thomas. Would be very cheap as well)

I believe every player listed here either has up-side or ones who will make us a better team, while not breaking the bank account. If we do finish 2nd last, we do have the threat of the pre-season draft.
Pretty concise list. Weideman would be a good get but likely out of our price pick wise, he could potential have several suitors including north. I think Riccardi, Brodie and Cameron from eagles would be budget gets that are immediate needs.

We blinked to ensure we had enough points for McInnes; with the bid not occurring until pick 23 our later picks would have been enough.

The deal had some merit, but we should have waited and reacted if an early bid came.

As it stands currently we gave up pick 19 for pick 23 less a 20% discount.
I think they must have had a pre-draft agreement that they'd trade the Henry and McRae picks out if a bid came for Reef. Thus they didn't think they could get those trades done as well as another one to get more points if the bid did come.

The issue was that we paid overs.

Last edited:

JM#1

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Beams deal was probably the worst in regards to a 0 logic move. At least Treloar was moved for cap reasons (even though we essentially got worse than nothing for him). The Beams deal is probably what has caused a lot of these cap issues.

They acted on emotion with Beams. Paying over for a guy who they were fully aware had mental health issues. Then trading Treloar by using the excuse, he may become a little sad that his partner and baby are in QLD.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
A7657EDD-FCE4-44FB-BF98-1ECA5FB8ABCE.gif

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pretty concise list. Weideman would be a good get but likely out of our price pick wise, he could potential have several suitors including north. I think Riccardi, Brodie and Cameron from eagles would be budget gets that are immediate needs.
We do have the appeal of the PSD, especially if the rumours are true about North trying to lure McKay through the PSD. Could theoretically land Weideman with pick 2 in the PSD, essentially getting him for nothing and trade a 4th for all 3 of the players you mentioned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back