Review Collingwood 2020 Trade Period Broken Down

Remove this Banner Ad

Players of such calibre I think we could consider looking at are

- Darcy Fogarty (Could be a good midfielder although is a touch slow)
- Sam Weideman (Probably the most expensive of the listed players here)
- Connor Ballenden (to replace Mason Cox)
- Marcus Adams (could allow us to play Darcy Moore forward more confidently as hewould become our best key defender. Not young and has an injury history)
- Rhys Mathieson (Is a top 25 player in a Brisbane side where you can unfortunately only have 22 players on a field. The 25th best player at Brisbane would have to be good enough for Collingwood)
- Charlie Constable (my only concern is that he is just Brayden Sier from the cattery)
- Will Brodie (the one I am most keen on. Seems to have improved heaps but whenever he plays in the suns best 22, he is played as an outside player. SHould be our number one target IMO)
- Jake Riccardi (Should've drafted him so we weren't in this predicament)
- Sam Hayes/Bailey Williams (I know we don't need a ruck but I really like him as a player. If we could steal either for a 4th round pick, could be great foil to Grundy if he ever needs a break and either would be an upgrade over Max Lynch)
- Riley Collier-Dawkins (Looking unlikely now he will come for anything less than a 2nd round pick as he played his first game and did well on the weekend)
- Luke Dunstan (A bit too old now but will be de-listed and the cheapest option. An upgrade over Greenwood)
- Jack Lonie (Linked to him in the past but could replace Josh Thomas. Would be very cheap as well)

I believe every player listed here either has up-side or ones who will make us a better team, while not breaking the bank account. If we do finish 2nd last, we do have the threat of the pre-season draft.

But how do we get any of these guys? We don't have draft picks to trade this year, and shouldn't trade future draft picks anyway. We can't trade draft picks for the next few years in my view (needless to say especially first round draft picks). I'd prefer we traded out players on our list currently to get first round picks than trade any away. Moore is the only player I'd consider off limits for trading (pending the right deal).

But how do we get any of these guys? We don't have draft picks to trade this year, and shouldn't trade future draft picks anyway. We can't trade draft picks for the next few years in my view (needless to say especially first round draft picks). I'd prefer we traded out players on our list currently to get first round picks than trade any away. Moore is the only player I'd consider off limits for trading (pending the right deal).
I propose looking at off-loading De Goey, Sier & Noble for picks assuming we get suitable deals. Maybe can get some 4th round picks or player swaps for some of these players with guys like Madgen, Cox & WHE

Pick swap with GWS:
- GWS: Collingwood 2021 1st
- Collingwood: Pick 24, Pick 30, Geel 2021 4th
Now this trade at the time made some sense as it was a deal that was high risk but high reward. We wanted to give up our first because our first round pick would've been swallowed by Daicos. However, it is starting to majorly backfire as we are performing much worse than the 8-12 range we were expected by most to be in. Assuming Geelong finish 5th, what GWS gave us was the equivalent of pick 10. However, for every further loss, GWS start to laugh more and more. Assuming current ladder positions, this deal looks like GWS winning by the equivalent of pick 17. If we finish last however, this deal will be GWS walking away with the equivalent of pick 9 and there is every chance GWS use pick 1, our own pick to bid on Daicos. I could not think of a worse scenario if that were to happen. I do however don't think we will finish a little higher, like 4th or 5th last but even then, GWS will still be laughing.
- Verdict: While a slightly risky but potentially beneficial deal at the time with logic, it could end up being one of the worst trades of all time
Think you are being kind with this one. This was always a high risk low reward deal for us. That was my view at the time. The club was still trying to pedal the myth of no firesale and list regeneration. It fitted that narrative to get a lot of kids in and build hope (and pressure for these kids down the track) for the supporter base.

To my mind it was always more prudent to hold onto that pick and realise its real value at the end of 2021 when the dust had settled. With what the club went through in the off season we were always likely to fall in 2021. It suited the story the club was selling to do the trade but it also meant we were putting forward an idea we would finish higher on the ladder than was likely and thus devaluing our 2021 1st. At the moment the question isn't whether it was a bad deal just how much of a bad deal it ends up being.

It never had high reward written on it

Think you are being kind with this one. This was always a high risk low reward deal for us. That was my view at the time. The club was still trying to pedal the myth of no firesale and list regeneration. It fitted that narrative to get a lot of kids in and build hope (and pressure for these kids down the track) for the supporter base.

To my mind it was always more prudent to hold onto that pick and realise its real value at the end of 2021 when the dust had settled. With what the club went through in the off season we were always likely to fall in 2021. It suited the story the club was selling to do the trade but it also meant we were putting forward an idea we would finish higher on the ladder than was likely and thus devaluing our 2021 1st. At the moment the question isn't whether it was a bad deal just how much of a bad deal it ends up being.

It never had high reward written on it
It was high reward though. If we made top 4, we win the deal comfortably, if we finish middle of the ladder, the trade is roughly a draw and if we finish bottom 4, GWS win comfortably. That sounds risk vs reward to me. If we finish 12th or so, I'd say we did alright in the deal. The problem is I don't think we finish higher than 14th.

It was high reward though. If we made top 4, we win the deal comfortably, if we finish middle of the ladder, the trade is roughly a draw and if we finish bottom 4, GWS win comfortably. That sounds risk vs reward to me. If we finish 12th or so, I'd say we did alright in the deal. The problem is I don't think we finish higher than 14th.
I think you are looking at it as only a points equation. Holding the pick gave us a lot of options. Finishing top 4 was never an option after the trade debacle.

For me it was always high risk but there was never any realistic option of a high reward. Getting thos 2 picks and the future was only
at best an ok return.

Jaidyn Stephenson trade:
- North Melbourne: Jaidyn Stephenson, Atu Bosenavulagi, Pick 39
- Collingwood: Pick 26, Pick 33, Pick 70

Adam Treloar trade:
- Western Bulldogs: Adam Treloar, Pick 26, Pick 33, Pick 42
- Collingwood: Pick 14, WB 2021 2nd round pick, pay 300k of Treloars salary for the next 5 years.

Don’t care about any of the other deals

I just want an honest discussion of the above from the club (we won’t get it)

* Saad pick 8 v Treloar

Didn’t think I could get angrier about football that 2018
Turns out I can

Not 100% sure on this but if we could only keep one player it would definitely be Moore.

Don’t care about any of the other deals

I just want an honest discussion of the above from the club (we won’t get it)

* Saad pick 8 v Treloar

Didn’t think I could get angrier about football that 2018
Turns out I can

Because we have Incomptent People in Charge of our List Mangment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back