Game Day Collingwood 2021 AGM

What do you reckon will happen at the AGM?

• Not much of note

Votes: 25 71.4%
  • New President will be announced, and the succession plan will begin

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • New President will be announced, and Ed will stand down immediately

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Ed will stand down immediately, and be replaced by the VP (Waitslitz)

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you name any fine moments of him for the last 10 years?

I can ...

- The announcement of our Netball team
- The announcement of our AFLW / VFLW teams
- The opening of The Glasshouse
- The announcement of the next stage of the Holden Centre development (medical centre partnering with Monash)
- Various sponsorship announcememts
- Divesting of pokies
- Divesting ourselves from that pubs debacle (which he presided over us getting into)

... if I spent more than 30 seconds on it I could probably think of more.

The whole point is that we’ve done nothing to address this history! Ed couldn’t even offer a simple apology at the press conference. Instead, declaring it a proud day.
Have you read the Do Better Final Report?

That report clearly states that whilst there are many more steps that should be taken, the Club has taken already taken measures to "address this history". To wit, the Barrawarn Program in 2011 and the three new policies enacted in 2020. Indeed the report writers themselves acknowledge that the premise of the report is in order to do better, we need to learn from the past. So the report itself is a step in addressing history.

To exclaim that "The whole point is that we’ve done nothing to address this history!" is disingenuous. But yes, the Club should do more.

Have you read the Do Better Final Report?

That report clearly states that whilst there are many more steps that should be taken, the Club has taken already taken measures to "address this history". To wit, the Barrawarn Program in 2011 and the three new policies enacted in 2020. Indeed the report writers themselves acknowledge that the premise of the report is in order to do better, we need to learn from the past. So the report itself is a step in addressing history.

+ this ...

To exclaim that "The whole point is that we’ve done nothing to address this history!" is disingenuous. But yes, the Club should do more.

+1

A wild guess by me ...

... but the board will vote amongst themselves and there won’t be a vote by the membership.

Ed noted tonight that for 22 years there hasn’t been a board vote by the membership... he seemed very proud about that.

Not required if any of the nominated positions up for filling are contested. Has there been anyone contesting those nominations?

He's just an absolute fool.

FFS give it a rest. How does making a factual observation make him or anyone else a fool?

Not required if any of the nominated positions up for filling are contested. Has there been anyone contesting those nominations?

No. That was his point. He seemed proud of that (Not sure why or what it means, a sign of a united board?)

No. That was his point. He seemed proud of that (Not sure why or what it means, a sign of a united board?)

You'd assume so. Contested seats generally equates to some disharmony.

Um, just dialled in, have we just given Dayne Beams a lifetime membership?

He will probably sell it on eBay...

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

What does life membership give you? Do you get a bottomless beer mug, free entry into games and whatever else?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What does life membership give you? Do you get a bottomless beer mug, free entry into games and whatever else?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Think you get two seats to every home game in the Collingwood area.

Assuming tickets to functions.

I doubt it's alot apart from a nice honour.

I don't think Beams should have received it, I don't think you should be guaranteed life membership just for playing in a premiership.

Think you get two seats to every home game in the Collingwood area.

Assuming tickets to functions.

I doubt it's alot apart from a nice honour.

I don't think Beams should have received it, I don't think you should be guaranteed life membership just for playing in a premiership.
I agree with that.

A wild guess by me ...

... but the board will vote amongst themselves and there won’t be a vote by the membership.

Ed noted tonight that for 22 years there hasn’t been a board vote by the membership... he seemed very proud about that.
He set it up that way because, at the time, he wanted a stable board.

But, long term, it's not something to be proud of. If everyone on the board is essentially appointed by one person, you end up with group think and people unwilling to disagree.

Last edited:
Has anyone actually read the 35 page report that was submitted?
There is absolutely nothing new in there that wasn't public knowledge. They've even gone back to the '70 GF and thrown in something about fans booing when Syd Jackson got a free kick. They've neglected to mention it may be because he was reported for striking Lee Adamson in the Semi and was let off by the tribunal because he claimed Adamson racially vilified him. Of course, 25 years later, Jackson admitted he lied about the incident and the racist remarks.
Did these idiots research the fact that maybe that was the reason for the booing?

The report was supported by 30 interviews with those at the club. The identity of the interviewees and the specifics of the interviews was not disclosed. Rightly so too. It was also supported by a review of the clubs records, processes and policy. The report is rooted in more recent histories and not just those well known historical examples.

I find the Jackson example interesting. He was booed a week after he got off the tribunal. He didn't admit to lying until years later. At the time, those booing him didn't know if he'd lied or not. I don't see how that stops the liklihood of there being a strong racist element to those booes, in the same vein as the Goodes booes years later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The report was supported by 30 interviews with those at the club. The identity of the interviewees and the specifics of the interviews was not disclosed. Rightly so too. It was also supported by a review of the clubs records, processes and policy. The report is rooted in more recent histories and not just those well known historical examples.

I find the Jackson example interesting. He was booed a week after he got off the tribunal. He didn't admit to lying until years later. At the time, those booing him didn't know if he'd lied or not. I don't see how that stops the liklihood of there being a strong racist element to those booes, in the same vein as the Goodes booes years later.

Didn't Adamson at the time deny the claim he'd racially taunted Jackson? That'd make the booing more tribal than racist with the Pies supporters more inclined to believe Adamson than Jackson.

Didn't Adamson at the time deny the claim he'd racially taunted Jackson? That'd make the booing more tribal than racist with the Pies supporters more inclined to believe Adamson than Jackson.

I think it'd be naive to think there wasn't element of both in the booing.

Back