Club Focus Collingwood 2021 - Kreuger, Lipinski, Daicos, Murley, Harrison

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 55 has now been traded out

Time to put the calculator to work for the various scenarios around bids at picks 1-4 and see whether the Pies may have enough futures to trade back into the top 30.
They must be confident now a bid wont come at 1, so either 2-4, depending on GWS if they keep their pick who if they do, bid first.

We now have 1st, 3 thirds and a fourth for 2022. No doubt they'll try to trade back into the trade after a bid.

They must be confident now a bid wont come at 1, so either 2-4, depending on GWS if they keep their pick who if they do, bid first.

We now have 1st, 3 thirds and a fourth for 2022. No doubt they'll try to trade back into the trade after a bid.
It’s rumoured NM informed us they won’t be bidding on Nick Daicos. Nice goodwill building.

I’m hoping GWS retain pick 2, which appears likely now with them taking Callaghan, as I believe they’ll bid on Darcy before Nick. If Nick gets to pick 3, we can trade out pick 36 for someone’s future 2nd rounder (Essendons???) and we’ll still have enough points to match the bid.

That gives us a bevy of 2022 picks to trade back into this draft, if we are really keen on a player that’s still available.

It’s rumoured NM informed us they won’t be bidding on Nick Daicos. Nice goodwill building.

I’m hoping GWS retain pick 2, which appears likely now with them taking Callaghan, as I believe they’ll bid on Darcy before Nick. If Nick gets to pick 3, we can trade out pick 36 for someone’s future 2nd rounder (Essendons???) and we’ll still have enough points to match the bid.

That gives us a bevy of 2022 picks to trade back into this draft, if we are really keen on a player that’s still available.

If that scenario plays out and the Daicos bid is at #3 Essendon’s 2022 2nd rounder for the Pies 2021 pick 36 and the Richmond 2022 3rd rounder might be around the mark.

It would leave the Pies with the Bombers Future 2nd and the Hawks Future 3rd to try to trade back into the 2021 draft. I don’t think the Suns and Saints future 4ths will be of much use.

If that scenario plays out and the Daicos bid is at #3 Essendon’s 2022 2nd rounder for the Pies 2021 pick 36 and the Richmond 2022 3rd rounder might be around the mark.

It would leave the Pies with the Bombers Future 2nd and the Hawks Future 3rd to try to trade back into the 2021 draft. I don’t think the Suns and Saints future 4ths will be of much use.
Pies don't have the Suns' future 4th. Their other future is Brisbane's 3rd. Which probably won't be far away from the Suns' 4th...

North want pick 1.
Club's never had it in their history.
Wont be bidding on diacos.
Can imagine GWS will be just for the lols though.
You could have had Daicos and Callaghan this year.

What can you get for Bombers F 2nd and Hawks F 3rd? What pick range?

North want pick 1.
Club's never had it in their history.
Wont be bidding on diacos.
Can imagine GWS will be just for the lols though.
You could have had Daicos and Callaghan this year.
Just no chance this could have happened. North would not have let Collingwood make an open selection and then take Daicos

Just no chance this could have happened. North would not have let Collingwood make an open selection and then take Daicos
I'm 50/50 on this.
Obviously they want the pies not to get extra concessions but they're want for pick 1 for historic reasons is high too.

I'm 50/50 on this.
Obviously they want the pies not to get extra concessions but they're want for pick 1 for historic reasons is high too.
More likely they'd have done a trade. Would have had Collingwood a bit over the barrel. Switch #1 for #2 and get something juicy back. The other possibility is Collingwood would have traded #2 for an (expected) high pick in 2022.

Hard to say, i reckon trading into a pick in the late 20s would be around the mark but there has to be a willing seller.
OK. So, it's probably up to Richmond then I'd say. Maybe Geelong for a late 20s/early 30s pick.

Carlton, Eagles and Sydney shouldn't sell out theirs.

I wonder if they wouldn't be better off trading a future 1st to Fremantle, Hawks or North for something around 19-21 and something else in 2022?

Ether way, it's certainly doable and I don't think Collingwood's list is in the position to take Daicos and then sit out. They need to get some more value this year than that.

OK. So, it's probably up to Richmond then I'd say. Maybe Geelong for a late 20s/early 30s pick.

Carlton, Eagles and Sydney shouldn't sell out theirs.

I wonder if they wouldn't be better off trading a future 1st to Fremantle, Hawks or North for something around 19-21 and something else in 2022?

Ether way, it's certainly doable and I don't think Collingwood's list is in the position to take Daicos and then sit out. They need to get some more value this year than that.

Collingwood wont trade a future 1st again for a while after losing pick 2 this year and if they do they are dumb.

Collingwood wont trade a future 1st again for a while after losing pick 2 this year and if they do they are dumb.
You're probably right. But they should be looking at this draft as 4 (minimum) quality players to add to their list.

If they get a Chesser and player like Knevitt by future trading as well as Daicos, it goes a long way to rebuilding their midfield.

Daicos alone and a couple of late 'hail-mary's' won't really achieve much. They're basically just waiting for next year's draft, which is a waste of 12 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're probably right. But they should be looking at this draft as 4 (minimum) quality players to add to their list.

If they get a Chesser and player like Knevitt by future trading as well as Daicos, it goes a long way to rebuilding their midfield.

Daicos alone and a couple of late 'hail-mary's' won't really achieve much. They're basically just waiting for next year's draft, which is a waste of 12 months.
Because of the lack of footy, I don't think any player is guaranteed to be a star. outside the top 10, Those you pick up late could end up being good players because of the lack of footy they have played.
I'd get Daicos, try get back into the 2nd round and then a player or two in the 3rd/4th, then come 2022, there are some good talls in next years draft. A elite key forward and key defender should be the main priotiries

Not sure why this argument keeps coming up, it makes little sense. If Collingwood had pick 2 and North bid on Daicos there is every chance Collingwood don't match and take JHF instead. North would just pick whoever they think is the better player.
Why would North care if Collingwood get an open selection before Daicos? We think of you guys as our little brother. We would much rather Collingwood get an extra early pick than a team likely to be in contention when we next are.

Not sure why this argument keeps coming up, it makes little sense. If Collingwood had pick 2 and North bid on Daicos there is every chance Collingwood don't match and take JHF instead. North would just pick whoever they think is the better player.
Why would North care if Collingwood get an open selection before Daicos? We think of you guys as our little brother. We would much rather Collingwood get an extra early pick than a team likely to be in contention when we next are.
0% chance pies dont match, pick 2 or not. You don't let a star and the best kid in victoria go to a rival when you have the chance to get him. We can speculate what may or may not have happned if we had that pick, but it's furtile. Things are the way they are, and I think both clubs would be pretty happy.

0% chance pies dont match, pick 2 or not. You don't let a star and the best kid in victoria go to a rival when you have the chance to get him. We can speculate what may or may not have happned if we had that pick, but it's furtile. Things are the way they are, and I think both clubs would be pretty happy.
I'm sure you guys are happy, you are getting a gun. But if we bid and you rated JHF higher why would you match? It makes no sense. This argument that keeps popping up just seems like post-justification of one of worse trades of recent times.

I'm sure you guys are happy, you are getting a gun. But if we bid and you rated JHF higher why would you match? It makes no sense. This argument that keeps popping up just seems like post-justification of one of worse trades of recent times.
Why would we match? Because he is a gun FS. You don't not match a top 3 player just because it may be 50/50 between 1 and 2. The gap is very very small, pretty even really.
This is why clubs tend to trade out their 1st rounder when you know you have a top prospect FS coming though, and they have known for many years now.

Why would we match? Because he is a gun FS. You don't not match a top 3 player just because it may be 50/50 between 1 and 2. The gap is very very small, pretty even really.
This is why clubs tend to trade out their 1st rounder when you know you have a top prospect FS coming though, and they have known for many years now.
And you guys could justify trading down if we bid to get Daicos and someone else later in the first round - which makes sense if you rate them equally. But from our point of view, we gain nothing from bidding on Daicos but risk losing the player we rate higher.

And you guys could justify trading down if we bid to get Daicos and someone else later in the first round - which makes sense if you rate them equally. But from our point of view, we gain nothing from bidding on Daicos but risk losing the player we rate higher.
Exactly, clubs don't bid for no reason. I think we can take it to the bank there will be no bid. Clubs will take fantastic players, and we will see where their futures takes them.

We would have at least ended up trading pick 2 for a 2022 1st rounder to a team like North, Hawthorn or Adelaide. So we would have had 2 top 6 selections in 2022.

We would have matched Daicos but with later picks after we traded out pick 2 for a future 1st. Why use pick 2 on a player we can get with later picks. When we can get a different top draft talent with that pick and Daicos.

We would never have matched as good as JHF will be we could get a Callaghan type in 2022 by trading out pick 2 for a future 1st and gotten Daicos with later picks. Using pick 2 on Daicos or JHF would have been the poor choice.

Agree you would probably not bid on Daicos. But imagine you did to force us to trade pick 2 with North for their future 1st you could have had Callaghan and JHF

This ignores other options such as trade. And nothing with regards to Daicos impacts how good/bad the 2020 trade was. At the end of the day Collingwood traded #2 for several kids in 2020, that trade will hold on it's own.

By matching, they would effectively allow themselves to do what they're actually doing this year. Getting one of the best players in the draft for a handful of F2, F3 and R3 picks. A fantastic deal.

If they still had #2, they'd just protect it by either trading with North and up, or trading it into 2022. There is no way they would have used pick #2 to match a pick #1 bid and waste its value.
We would have at least ended up trading pick 2 for a 2022 1st rounder to a team like North, Hawthorn or Adelaide. So we would have had 2 top 6 selections in 2022.
Exactly.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back