Club Focus Collingwood 2021 - Kreuger, Lipinski, Daicos, Murley, Harrison

AFL Club Focus

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
That was SOS ..... everyone else wanted him .... here no one wanted Draper
Even if you leave GWS/SOS aside, why did half the clubs in the AFL pass on Grundy then?

By your logic if recruiters don't make mistake then Grundy was bound to be a failure?

It sounds ridiculous because that's what your logic is.

Orange crush

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Even if you leave GWS/SOS aside, why did half the clubs in the AFL pass on Grundy then?

By your logic if recruiters don't make mistake then Grundy was bound to be a failure?

It sounds ridiculous because that's what your logic is.
I think the ridiculous is in trying to draw a comparison between Grundy going at 18? vs a lad who was passed up by every team 3 times
Anyway, let’s hope he is the JdG for you

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well as bad as the trade period was for Collingwood last year (and the likely repercussions it has had on this draft - i.e. missing out on Callaghan), things played out almost perfectly this draft to really limit the damage (and as a Hawthorn supporter, I suppose it shows that Wright is still very good at his job).

A bid coming so late on Daicos was a massive bonus and then being able to pick up Draper in the 40's was almost as though you never traded away your 2nd rounder.

As an oppo supporter, hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come over the next few years/drafts as Collingwood will bounce back hard if drafting and list management continue in this fashion (if only Ned Guy could come back instead :tongueoutv1: )

Orange crush

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Except for Geelong who drafted Jackson Thurlow and Fremantle who drafted Josh Simpson and Gold Coast who drafted Jesse Lonergan and North who drafted Taylor Garner and Carlton who drated Troy Menzel
I was referring to Gws people .... those other teams have regularly messed up drafts

BlueBalls#17

Rookie
Nov 24, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Pies did well this off-season, given the players they've lost or had to push out last few years to top up with this much talent is excactly what they needed.
Draper is an absolute steal, convinced Lipinski will make doggies regret letting him go and was shattered when pies picked Charlie Dean because I was really hopeful of us nabbing him in the SSP.
Still reckon Pies need to pick up someone like a Matt Hammelman but I hate when I have to gibe credit to the arch enemy but they might not be as royally stuffed as it looked last year if just 1 or 2 two of these players exceed expectations.

Oh and the recruiters passing on Grundy debate...
Wasnt it that most recruiters are hesitant to spend top picks on ruckman due to them usually taking more time to develop? Collingwood took the punt and it paid off 🤷‍♂️
Maybe its Daniel Gorringe affect on recruiters.

Back