List Mgmt. Collingwood Academy Kids

Remove this Banner Ad

If Langdon was poached to another club for money or whatever reason, could Quaynor come in and potentially fill his role as early as next year? Or different type?
I would say Murphy would take over from him if that was the case.

IQ can probably play year 1 but I wouldn’t say he’s a like for like replacement for Langers.

If he’s not up to VFL standard they can play him in the development league.

Be nice but I don't think we can.

EDIT: What the Bat said.

Last edited:

Quaynor - his best footy is v good. Ball was wet and conditions terrible but when he went near it was clean and used it well. He is rising in my view and think he might be 15-20 so we would look to trade that first pick. Interestingly his body is such that he could play Rd 1 as a back pocket next year.

With out Injuries he probably be in the Team IF he was on our AFL List Now

Gaspar - Has he been added to our Academy. If so he may get a bid. Very clever player.

Don't Think so but Wouldn't he Fall under our Academy though?

If Langdon was poached to another club for money or whatever reason, could Quaynor come in and potentially fill his role as early as next year? Or different type?
They're different players but Quaynor is physically good enough to play AFL next season. How he copes with the step up in intensity is anyones guess.

I suspect the club will be hoping for improvement from Appleby and Murphy if Langdon leaves. Clangers cops a lot of crap but he will be an annoying loss if he leaves, especially with Scharenberg missing 2018.

Update post weekend;

Quaynor - his best footy is v good. Ball was wet and conditions terrible but when he went near it was clean and used it well. He is rising in my view and think he might be 15-20 so we would look to trade that first pick. Interestingly his body is such that he could play Rd 1 as a back pocket next year.

Kelly - very good albeit would have liked to see a game in good conditions with him on Gown more. His offensive work from the back is a highlight and think will do more once in the system. Would be 20-30 range.

Atu - I think he gets a bid now. Again some of what he does is jaw dropping. His ability to clean / hold ground / offload and be clean is very good.

Gaspar - Has he been added to our Academy. If so he may get a bid. Very clever player.

Wraith - Very good game on the weekend in conditions that should not have suited. Still think rookie but GF will be interesting for him.
Wow, I didn't know Gaspar from OC is a CFC NGA player too. He looks to have some real talent..

Very if we can trade that first pick or be assured we wont get bid before using it. Top 10 is usually well known / agreed so its really about next 6-8 picks. At this stage i wouldnt risk it.
I wouldnt have thought we wouldve been allowed to trade our first and still eligible to use our secound instead.

I can’t find anything about him being an NGA. Would have to get confirmation from someone. Knightmare

Gasper is a handy small forward for Oakleigh.

Not aware of him being an NGA prospect though.

Gasper is a handy small forward for Oakleigh.

Not aware of him being an NGA prospect though.

I heard nothing but looking at him you think he could be part of the NGA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Collingwood relevant prospects for a general update are:
Kelly (F/S) - a bid will come somewhere after the Pies first pick
Quaynor (NGA) - a bid will come somewhere after the Pies first pick
Atu (NGA) - a bid is probable and will likely need to use a national draft pick on

And to a lesser extent if we wanted to take a flier on him Bailey Wraith (NGA) who played his best game for Oakleigh on the weekend. He'd be a rookie only. Has played a lot as an undersized ruck but looked better on Saturday as a tallish back.

The Collingwood relevant prospects for a general update are:
Kelly (F/S) - a bid will come somewhere after the Pies first pick
Quaynor (NGA) - a bid will come somewhere after the Pies first pick
Atu (NGA) - a bid is probable and will likely need to use a national draft pick on

And to a lesser extent if we wanted to take a flier on him Bailey Wraith (NGA) who played his best game for Oakleigh on the weekend. He'd be a rookie only. Has played a lot as an undersized ruck but looked better on Saturday as a tallish back.

It's good to see you haven't lost touch with the little people, Knight.

Much obliged.

It's good to see you haven't lost touch with the little people, Knight.

Much obliged.

Always happy to swing by to answer whatever questions are on peoples mind when tagged.

Draft/trade/free agency/delistings/best 22s etc. Bring it on.

Given that our pick will be no higher than pick 14, that is now a distinct possibility (assuming we still have it of course).

It's no higher than pick 15 now... :D

(probably pick 16 after the FA compo pick the suns will get for Lynch)

If a bid comes for Quaynor inside the top 16 picks then I'd be leaning towards passing on him and wishing him good luck at his new club.

Always happy to swing by to answer whatever questions are on peoples mind when tagged.

What’s your thoughts on May? Is it possible this year?

What approach would you be taking to trade week and the draft? Realistic of course ;) have things changed now it seems our premiership window has opened more?

Alright, then.

Two favourites of mine and the subjects (one in particular) of conversation around these parts: Marty Hore and Callan Wellings. Draft likelihood/range, Collingwood relevance/need, personal opinion. Yes/no?

What’s your thoughts on May? Is it possible this year?

What approach would you be taking to trade week and the draft? Realistic of course ;) have things changed now it seems our premiership window has opened more?

With Moore feeling like he leaves. A deal for May would include some combination of whatever is gained for Moore and probably one of Langdon or the clubs 2019 first round pick.

It's a lot to spend. I like May. Super 1v1 player. Intercepts. Long kick. He's a good piece.

My view with Moore is he should only be traded if he outright gets May or if he is involved in a deal that secured Collingwood pick 1 = Lukosius.

I just don't like the sound of the asking price for May. Gold Coast want the equivalent of a top 5 pick is my understanding. So that probably means x2 first round picks otherwise.

With May, what people don't think about is his lack of durability. He has never had a 20 game season, mostly hovering around that 17/18 mark. I also see a lot of much better value options available at no cost.

Alex Johnson I believe is worth a rookie position (although you're not seeing him next year). Just having a guy like that around the club is something I want. And when he gets back, he has shown he can come back and play AFL standard football.

My mind then goes to Scott Thompson as a one year rental. He's still one of the better key defenders. Still intercepts. Still wins his 1v1s. Heath Grundy is another. He probably gets another deal with Sydney, but I'd be jumping in and making him an offer also as another quality key defender who can still play.

Regarding Collingwood's premiership window. And full disclosure I had Collingwood going out in straight sets going into the finals. I can't even say next year with confidence Collingwood are a top 8 side. With a harder draw to come with a top 4 place happening. The draw is going to be hard. And with only the x1 win against a finals side from this year pre-finals (Melbourne). I will say with confidence Collingwood won't be a top 4 side again in 2019 unless radical list improvements happen over the offseason.

My general view with this draft is I'd like to see the picks kept and used where possible. It would have to be for a deal to move Collingwood up to pick 1 that would have me move the pick.

The draft this year feels underhyped, and I believe it's being wrongly underhyped. The best 7 (Lukosius/Smith/Walsh/Rankine/The King Brothers/Blakey) are the special talents this year and would fit inside any top 5 in any year. The draft from there really flattens out and you have an even 20 or so prospects. So anything in the 20s, or anything inside the top 6 (noting that Blakey is a father-son) I'd be feeling really good about this year based on my own views of this draft. Though the issue this year is a pick in the 20s may have to go towards Kelly or Quaynor, as bids will from that point be considered which means Collingwood won't be looking to get into that sweet spot in the draft as it's not practical if they're keen on them.

Alright, then.

Two favourites of mine and the subjects (one in particular) of conversation around these parts: Marty Hore and Callan Wellings. Draft likelihood/range, Collingwood relevance/need, personal opinion. Yes/no?

Wellings I don't see getting picked but liked last year and thought was worth rookie consideration. Hore I consider in the mix late/rookie.

Hore as a rookie I see of possible relevance. Depends if he is best there. I'd probably have someone else higher, but he's not someone I'd put a line through. There are a few senior listed players I'd rather play Hore ahead of frankly.

For Collingwood this could be a remarkably dull draft. Use the first pick and the next three might well be Quaynor/Kelly/Atu.

Then go into the rookie draft and do whatever they have in mind.

Last edited:
With Moore feeling like he leaves. A deal for May would include some combination of whatever is gained for Moore and probably one of Langdon or the clubs 2019 first round pick.

It's a lot to spend. I like May. Super 1v1 player. Intercepts. Long kick. He's a good piece.

My view with Moore is he should only be traded if he outright gets May or if he is involved in a deal that secured Collingwood pick 1 = Lukosius.

I just don't like the sound of the asking price for May. Gold Coast want the equivalent of a top 5 pick is my understanding. So that probably means x2 first round picks otherwise.

With May, what people don't think about is his lack of durability. He has never had a 20 game season, mostly hovering around that 17/18 mark. I also see a lot of much better value options available at no cost.

Alex Johnson I believe is worth a rookie position (although you're not seeing him next year). Just having a guy like that around the club is something I want. And when he gets back, he has shown he can come back and play AFL standard football.

My mind then goes to Scott Thompson as a one year rental. He's still one of the better key defenders. Still intercepts. Still wins his 1v1s. Heath Grundy is another. He probably gets another deal with Sydney, but I'd be jumping in and making him an offer also as another quality key defender who can still play.

Regarding Collingwood's premiership window. And full disclosure I had Collingwood going out in straight sets going into the finals. I can't even say next year with confidence Collingwood are a top 8 side. With a harder draw to come with a top 4 place happening. The draw is going to be hard. And with only the x1 win against a finals side from this year pre-finals (Melbourne). I will say with confidence Collingwood won't be a top 4 side again in 2019 unless radical list improvements happen over the offseason.

My general view with this draft is I'd like to see the picks kept and used where possible. It would have to be for a deal to move Collingwood up to pick 1 that would have me move the pick.

The draft this year feels underhyped, and I believe it's being wrongly underhyped. The best 7 (Lukosius/Smith/Walsh/Rankine/The King Brothers/Blakey) are the special talents this year and would fit inside any top 5 in any year. The draft from there really flattens out and you have an even 20 or so prospects. So anything in the 20s, or anything inside the top 6 (noting that Blakey is a father-son) I'd be feeling really good about this year based on my own views of this draft. Though the issue this year is a pick in the 20s may have to go towards Kelly or Quaynor, as bids will from that point be considered which means Collingwood won't be looking to get into that sweet spot in the draft as it's not practical if they're keen on them.

Wellings I don't see getting picked but liked last year and thought was worth rookie consideration. Hore I consider in the mix late/rookie.

Hore as a rookie I see of possible relevance. Depends if he is best there. I'd probably have someone else higher, but he's not someone I'd put a line through. There are a few senior listed players I'd rather play Hore ahead of frankly.

For Collingwood this could be a remarkably dull draft. Use the first pick and the next three might well be Quaynor/Kelly/Atu.

My 2 cents with May is if we lose Moore and give away both our first round picks for him I think we are in a worse spot. Like you said May is a good player but he’s not exactly durable either. So it will be interesting to see how it pans out. I’m probably in the pass camp for May at this stage.

Alex Johnson is outside the box. He’s not playing next year and 6 knee recos rules him out for me.

Grundy and Thompson both signed for 1 year if I’m not mistaken? I would have taken either if they were available.

With this year being quite a surprise I can’t see why next year can’t be the same if not better. Yeah we will have a harder draw but we will also have players with a lot more experience and hunger for finals. With some luck with injuries and a few good recruitments I don’t see why we shouldn’t make the top 4 again.

I reckon Hore becomes more of an option if Langdon chases dollars. What are your thoughts on Woodward? Not as much need by position, but looks a class above VFL and wouldn't be any more of an injury risk than Johnson.

My 2 cents with May is if we lose Moore and give away both our first round picks for him I think we are in a worse spot. Like you said May is a good player but he’s not exactly durable either. So it will be interesting to see how it pans out. I’m probably in the pass camp for May at this stage.

Alex Johnson is outside the box. He’s not playing next year and 6 knee recos rules him out for me.

Grundy and Thompson both signed for 1 year if I’m not mistaken? I would have taken either if they were available.

With this year being quite a surprise I can’t see why next year can’t be the same if not better. Yeah we will have a harder draw but we will also have players with a lot more experience and hunger for finals. With some luck with injuries and a few good recruitments I don’t see why we shouldn’t make the top 4 again.

If Grundy and Thompson have both signed on I had not realised. Have not kept up with the signing news.

With Collingwood's draw this year, it's going to be a lot harder. Richmond that I can think of is the only top 8 side Collingwood played twice. The draw won't be so favourable in 2019. Collingwood could improve (and I think they will, they're moving in the right direction) and still miss the top 8. It's such an even competition. There are teams outside the 8 who will finish higher than top 4 sides next year.

I reckon Hore becomes more of an option if Langdon chases dollars. What are your thoughts on Woodward? Not as much need by position, but looks a class above VFL and wouldn't be any more of an injury risk than Johnson.

Woodward is AFL standard. It's just injuries that have hurt him. He's a Dom Milesi favourite.

With Woodward, I don't see who he plays in front of, so I don't see him as a fit for Collingwood.

At that age/stage, you need to be best 22 to be worthwhile.

My 20 cents (I value my opinion 10 times more highly than Soups does). I reckon you are seriously underestimating our list and where we are at. I think you are reading way too much into the 1 win against top 8 sides. Most of them contained circumstances. Lost the first 2 games - no teams are anywhere near their later season form in the first 2 games. I don't think those 2 games say much about where we are at now.The two Richmond losses - 1 we were with them for 3 quarters and then got blown away in the last quarter after a 4 day break, 2 we were with them for 3 quarters with a depleted team and then got blown away in the last quarter with 2 blokes down for the majority of the game. Sydney - 2nd string defence due to injuries and the best forward of his generation took us to the cleaners and even then it took a fluke goal to beat us. Geelong and WCe were too good on the day - no excuses there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back