List Mgmt. Collingwood Academy Kids

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't someone have a theory have theory Dogs bluffed for Moore recently?
Dumb theory. The dogs had no incentive to do so. Clubs won't do it out of spite. Theyll only do it if they see an advantage for them. The Pies this year are one occasion where a team may be tempted to play funny buggers. Eg. you want Kelly at pick 15, but are confident that Collingwood will match a bid for Quaynor, bid on Quaynor first, this will make it less likely that Collingwood match a bid for Kelly. Still think it is unlikely, unless that club actually rates Quaynor as next in line or very close.

Didn't someone have a theory have theory Dogs bluffed for Moore recently?
The dogs would have been extremely happy to get Moore with the pick 5 they used to bid. Anyone who’s telling you otherwise is wearing their tinfoil hat.

For memory Carlton had the pick before ours and I’m pretty sure they would have bid on Darcy.

Kinda glad we didn’t give them the pleasure.

We were playaing Aish and Greenwood at half back our depth there isn’t great.

Losing Murray hurt, we will need to replace him. Appleby injured his hammy at an inconvenient time. We've got Murphy and Tyler Brown developing so it's not a dire need when you consider many of our small-medium options were covering our injured KPD's in Moore, Shaz and Dunn, and we'll need to restructure to accommodate them back into the side.

Easily top 10 in the draft imo.

I also think Tarryn Thomas is prob top 15, Quaynor prob top 20 and Kelly top 30.
Also forgot about Rhylee West. Likely gets a first round bid and the dogs might have to use 2 picks to match, bringing our picks earlier again.

Just a couple of questions I'd be interested in hearing people's opinions on.

Where would you like a bid to be placed for Quaynor, before or after our first rounder we traded to Brisbane? Obviously its better not to have to give up as many points but part of me is hoping for a bid before pick 18 just to justify us trading it to Brisbane.

Also what is the highest bid you'd match for Kelly? The difficulty with not having any picks near where we'll be matching bids is that we won't know what players would be available to us if we weren't to match the bids. That makes me think we're prepared to match pretty much anything which is not an ideal message to be sending to opposition clubs.

Where would you like a bid to be placed for Quaynor, before or after our first rounder we traded to Brisbane? Obviously its better not to have to give up as many points but part of me is hoping for a bid before pick 18 just to justify us trading it to Brisbane.

Also what is the highest bid you'd match for Kelly? The difficulty with not having any picks near where we'll be matching bids is that we won't know what players would be available to us if we weren't to match the bids. That makes me think we're prepared to match pretty much anything which is not an ideal message to be sending to opposition clubs.

So do you really think clubs will make a bid for a player they don’t want just because they would expect to Pies to match?

Clubs are professional enough to know that the draft is about their own club, and their decisions affect their own club.

Clubs will have a list of who they want to draft and will call out their names. If IQ or Kelly are on that list they will call them out if those preferences before them are gone.

Hey n a side note, live trading of picks on draft night will be interesting.

Hey n a side note, live trading of picks on draft night will be interesting.

It won't take long for other clubs to start getting salty when nominated clubs start deliberately trading out their current pick so that they can get their FS / Academy kids at a discount.

If anything I suspect this might make clubs think about placing bids a little earlier than they might otherwise have done in some siruations.

It's well known that clubs have previously tended to shy away from doing so because the nominated club will just match, but now there's incentive for opposing clubs to bid a bit earlier so that FS / academy picks are coming off their draft board, instead of "live" selections they could be making themselves with their next pick.

p.s. I don't think this will necessarily affect us given our draft position, but there are a number of other clubs who could potentially be in that boat at different points in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The later the better.

Hine has shown he'll pass on players if he thinks there are better options available so I doubt he'll feel compelled to do anything this time around.

The later the better.

Hine has shown he'll pass on players if he thinks there are better options available so I doubt he'll feel compelled to do anything this time around.
However if we pass on IQ our first pick will be 41 - so it’s a big gamble to pass on IQ if bid on early and hope a player we like more is available at 41.

Our hands seemed tied to matching unless we trade upwards. IQ bid on at 20 - someone we rate higher hasn’t been selected yet so we try to trade up 41 and 44 to get pick 21 and let IQ go but seems highly unlikely.

However if we pass on IQ our first pick will be 41 - so it’s a big gamble to pass on IQ if bid on early and hope a player we like more is available at 41.

Our hands seemed tied to matching unless we trade upwards. IQ bid on at 20 - someone we rate higher hasn’t been selected yet so we try to trade up 41 and 44 to get pick 21 and let IQ go but seems highly unlikely.

Not saying we will or should pass on early bids for IQ or Kelly. Just that Hine won't have any qualms doing so if he thinks someone else will be available.

Not saying we will or should pass on early bids for IQ or Kelly. Just that Hine won't have any qualms doing so if he thinks someone else will be available.

I think we've pretty much shown our hand in asking for picks 41 and 44 back in the Beams trade, with respect to picking up Kelly and Quaynor.

The only question is how much we'll have to pay for them in points - picks in the 40's are still in no man's land despite this being a stronger draft, so I doubt that we'd be passing over on Quaynor and/or Kelly in the hope or picking up someone better in the 40's, if indeed they (Quaynor and Kelly) are grading out as late first / second round prospects.

I still firmly believe there are too many good kids available in this draft for other clubs to be bidding on Quaynor in the first round or Kelly within the top 25 (maybe not even top 30 for Kelly), so the 1215 points we have currently should cover the overwhelming majority of the cost of matching any bids that come in.

Last edited:

Not with first live pick at 41.
We are 100% taking IQ & Kelly.
If we still had pick 18, then your comments on Hine would be spot on.

Will be interesting if an early bid is made. I think we'll match regardless.

On the one hand, it would be a very brave club making a bid just to keep us honest. Quaynor has made it very clear how much he loves Collingwood, so there would be a huge go home factor if a team like GWS made the bid.

On the other hand, if we go too far into deficit, then our first pick next year could be very late.

I think IQ has been overhyped a bit. The afl website had him "blitzing the combine" even though he didn't rate that highly in most areas except for goal-kicking, which is probably not an area he'll be recruited in. So I hardly think he blitzed the combine.

I reckon it would be a vindictive side that would make the bid early. But I wouldn't put it past a GWS maybe.

Will be interesting if an early bid is made. I think we'll match regardless.

On the one hand, it would be a very brave club making a bid just to keep us honest. Quaynor has made it very clear how much he loves Collingwood, so there would be a huge go home factor if a team like GWS made the bid.

On the other hand, if we go too far into deficit, then our first pick next year could be very late.

I think IQ has been overhyped a bit. The afl website had him "blitzing the combine" even though he didn't rate that highly in most areas except for goal-kicking, which is probably not an area he'll be recruited in. So I hardly think he blitzed the combine.

I reckon it would be a vindictive side that would make the bid early. But I wouldn't put it past a GWS maybe.
cough cough Carlscum cough cough cough

Was it a Cal Twomey article? If so, he tends to overhype draftees that are linked with clubs.

I think we've pretty much shown our hand in asking for picks 41 and 44 back in the Beams trade, with respect to picking up Kelly and Quaynor.

The only question is how much we'll have to pay for them in points - picks in the 40's are still in no man's land despite this being a stronger draft, so I doubt that we'd be passing over on Quaynor and/or Kelly in the hope or picking up someone better in the 40's, if indeed they (Quaynor and Kelly) are grading out as late first / second round prospects.

I still firmly believe there are too many good kids available in this draft for other clubs to be bidding on Quaynor in the first round or Kelly within the top 25 (maybe not even top 30 for Kelly), so the 1215 points we have currently should cover the overwhelming majority of the cost of matching any bids that come in.

I've always assumed we asked for higher pick than 41 & 44, but that's what we were able to acquire.

Again, it'll come down to where Hine rates all these FS & academy picks. If he rates them in the 50's then he's not matching a first round bid, but might be tempted to match a 2nd round bid. All I was saying is that he won't be swayed by the hype.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back