List Mgmt. Collingwood Academy Kids

Remove this Banner Ad

If that was remotely true a bid would have come for Viney before the Dees 1st pick in 2012. GWS had the 1st 3 picks and Viney was well in the top 5 discussions. Certainly would have been better for them than Plowman. They instead allowed the Dees to take Toumpas at 4 and Viney to slide to the Dees 2nd pick at 26.

Heeney was always highly rated, among the top 10 of most phantom drafts and expert predictions. The new points system was brought in for exactly his situation where a bid came early and the Swans only had to match with their existing 1st pick (much as with us and Moore). None of that however does anything to support your conspiracy theories.

Forgot about him tbh
But First thing I would be surprised if Gws didn't have discussion knowing full well viney ain't gong there
Not bidding very unprofessional ( we are talking gws after all lol), but great assistance Afterall for the poor old demons!
Almost like another compo pick for gws getting such a hand?

IMO I would suggest that afl ran both clubs at time which also might have apart to play

Forgot about him tbh
But First thing I would be surprised if Gws didn't have discussion knowing full well viney ain't gong there
Not bidding very unprofessional ( we are talking gws after all lol), but great assistance Afterall for the poor old demons!
Almost like another compo pick for gws getting such a hand?

IMO I would suggest that afl ran both clubs at time which also might have apart to play

Vagaries of the draft system that if they bid, Dees choose not to match, he either goes there or sits out 2 years of footy.

I'm just not convinced clubs are willing to play the sort of games you suggest with so much at stake.

Isn't the problem we find ourselves with is that we are so deep in the draft now with our actual first selection (41?)
Our current draft hand is only valuable if we are able to cumulatively turn those picks into players we have first rights on.

So, hypothetically if Quaynor is bid on a bit expensive with say pick 7, do we let him go, even though that might be considered a very steep price, and then satisfy ourselves that we are at least still be able to pick up Will Kelly?

Clearly we can't let both Kelly and Quaynor pass. That would mean that we only get to pick up the 41st best player in the draft.

So if Quaynor was bid on at 7 by WB and we passed, you might then be tempted if say you are Geelong at pick 13, to call out Will Kelly's name just so that you do know Collingwood has to a full price for Kelly.

Isn't the problem we find ourselves with is that we are so deep in the draft now with our actual first selection (41?)
Our current draft hand is only valuable if we are able to cumulatively turn those picks into players we have first rights on.

So, hypothetically if Quaynor is bid on a bit expensive with say pick 7, do we let him go, even though that might be considered a very steep price, and then satisfy ourselves that we are at least still be able to pick up Will Kelly?

Clearly we can't let both Kelly and Quaynor pass. That would mean that we only get to pick up the 41st best player in the draft.

So if Quaynor was bid on at 7 by WB and we passed, you might then be tempted if say you are Geelong at pick 13, to call out Will Kelly's name just so that you do know Collingwood has to a full price for Kelly.
Clubs don’t play games with this stuff. They all know that they’ll eventually be in the same position we are with a FS or academy prospect.

It's been done many times , gonna happen again
Moore dogs bid even though pick was promised elsewhere
Silvanghi essendon bid , dodoro admitted to keep em honest
No love for us
Silvagni a pick in the 50s. Hardly a risk. Some expected him to go top 30. Not a great example at all.

Dogs would have been wrapped to take moore which is why they bid

Last edited:
My thought is that Quaynor is 100% going to pies. You don't sit with the club hierarchy on GF day to be overlooked in the draft... as reportedly happened.

If Quaynor is bid on high we will still take him, and will either go into deficit to take Kelly... or take a cheaper alternative to Kelly like Kositchke or R Grundy or another... as there are a few serviceable fullbacks to be found later in the draft.

Another question for me is whether we take Atu B on the senior list or as a rookie.

My opinion is we will take all three of Quaynor, Kelly and Atu.
Probably have to go in a slight deficit to get get Quaynor and Kelly with a late nothing pick or rookie spot for Atu.
Best outcome would be no bids, but doubt it.

Probably have to go in a slight deficit to get get Quaynor and Kelly with a late nothing pick or rookie spot for Atu.

0% Chance both Quyanor and Kelly get past Pick 42

0% Chance both Quyanor and Kelly get past Pick 42
What l mean is, that the bids come late enough that we only have to use our picks to get them, not use them all up, plus some too get them.
I know that a clubs will bid on both sometime jurying the draft, just hopping that a bid is way past pick 18 that we had.

I don't see Quaynor getting picked inside the top 25 considering Richmond at 17 and Melbourne at 23 are the only Victorian teams inside 13-27 draft bracket.

The South Australian clubs will be after home grown talent as will the WA clubs and there is plenty of talent from those states to chose from.

Sydney, Brisbane and possibly GWS will need their picks to secure there own academy boys.

Agree.
Can't see us passing up two Academy players and the other, (better?) Kelly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone calling for "strictly best available" needs to chill. Our first selection won't be a live pick, it'll be used to match. Which essentially means that we're getting better than best available.
Why take a mid/late 1st round player & an early 2nd round player when we can ‘clean up’ with 2-3 Hine special 3rd round picks...
We all know that the better AFL players are taken in the 3rd round.

I don't see Quaynor getting picked inside the top 25 considering Richmond at 17 and Melbourne at 23 are the only Victorian teams inside 13-27 draft bracket.

The South Australian clubs will be after home grown talent as will the WA clubs and there is plenty of talent from those states to chose from.

Sydney, Brisbane and possibly GWS will need their picks to secure there own academy boys.

If the Crows get one or two of their home grown talents at 8 and 13 I can see them putting a bid in at 16. Not sure where I read it but apparently they are one of the clubs that have shown a bit of interest in him. If not the Lions might be campaigners and call his name out at 18!

Fingers crossed he can get outside the top 20 and picks 41 & 44 are good enough to land him.

If the Crows get one or two of their home grown talents at 8 and 13 I can see them putting a bid in at 16. Not sure where I read it but apparently they are one of the clubs that have shown a bit of interest in him. If not the Lions might be campaigners and call his name out at 18!

Fingers crossed he can get outside the top 20 and picks 41 & 44 are good enough to land him.

IQ or Kelly?

Kelly apparently.

Thanks. I was aware there was rumoured Crows interest in Kelly but was confused as the posts were discussing IQ.

I've heard the Dogs also have some interest in Kelly

Outside the 1st half dozen picks, the early rounds appear light on for KPP types so I think that'll elevate interest in those few that are there.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back