List Mgmt. Collingwood Academy Kids

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty
Nick Daicos named in 2020 Vic Metro AFL Academy hub

Collingwood has another impressive father-son selection coming through the ranks, with Nick Daicos shaping as a top prospect for the 2021 AFL draft.
Toby Prime, Monash Leader
Subscriber only
|
October 17, 2019 3:00pm

Nick Daicos during a next generation match earlier this year. Picture: Michael Klein

Nick Daicos during a next generation match earlier this year. Picture: Michael Klein
similars

When the list of names was released for the Vic Metro AFL Academy hub, attention was drawn to one player.
Nick Daicos.
The son of Collingwood great, Peter, is one of 30 players included in the 2020 Vic Metro hub and looks a top prospect for the 2021 draft.
Daicos, 16, has not yet played with Oakleigh Chargers but will play in the NAB League competition as a bottom-age player next year.

Nick Daicos in action for Kew Rovers.

Nick Daicos in action for Kew Rovers.

“I’ve seen him play for Carey Grammar this year and he’s an exciting prospect,” Oakleigh talent manager Jy Bond said.
“Part of his inclusion into the hub was that he would come into the Chargers program as a bottom-ager … which is exciting for him and for us next year having another talented player in our program for two years and a possible father-son prospect for Collingwood.”

Daicos was named the Yarra Junior Football League’s Under 15 best and fairest in 2017 when he played a year ahead of his age group.
He also kicked the matchwinner after the siren in game for Carey Grammar in August.
He could join brother Josh, Darcy Moore, Will Kelly and brothers Callum and Tyler Brown as Collingwood father-son selections.

“I’ve only seen him play for Carey but he’s a lot like his father,” Bond said.
“He’s certainly got a lot of potential but we’re two years away from him being draftable so lots of things can happen but he is in the right environment now at Oakleigh and the hub.

“He’s obviously highly regarded to be included prior to even playing in the NAB League system. That shows there is obviously some interest in him already.”

Players selected in the hubs will form the basis of next year’s Vic Country and Vic Metro squads for the 2020 AFL Under-18 Championships
There is no way he is the same age as the other kid in the first pic? surely.. looks triple his size

Would love to have someone called 'Reef' on our list. He'd be part of the great Collingwood tradition of drafting players with improbable names. Phonse, Thorold, Rene, Lerrel, Horrie, Tarkyn, Steele, Sharrod... Its a great list.
What a fabulous list.

We can add Athos, Jaidyn, Tyler...

See now I’m cross as Fatui Atatta never got be game so we could add him. What an a impressive afro style of hair he used to have.

And we have the only John on any list.

Eh, just watched the highlights on those 2 games. Not much screamed first rounder to me.

I've got no expertise judging junior talent, but ive seen a few of his games and I reckon he's got some pretty nice potential but pretty rough around the edges. I think it's the lack of speed that doesn't allow him to really pop out. Seems really one-paced, and a bit sloppy with his disposal. On the other hand he is such a good size and looks like he could have scope to turn it a pretty strong hardened footballer. Strikes me as a competitor with a bit of confidence about him. Tackles really hard, makes quick decisions. Don't know what it is, but with his long arms and the way he moves around, just seems like he has a lot of x-factor that could see him really jump up with another years deveoplent. Want to see him spend more time in the midfield this year and see him get some nice high disposal games. Reckon an inside midfielder is his go and hopelly a nat fyfe type presence at stoppages.

I've got no expertise judging junior talent, but ive seen a few of his games and I reckon he's got some pretty nice poential. I think it's the lack of speed that doesn't allow him to really pop out. Seems really one-paced, and a bit sloppy with his disposal. On the other hand he is such a good size and looks like he could have scope to turn it a pretty strong hardened footballer. Strikes me as a competitor with a bit of confidence about him. Tackles really hard, makes quick decisions. Don't know what it is, but with his long arms and the way he moves around, just seems like he has a lot of x-factor that could see him really jump up with another years deveoplent. Want to see him spend more time in the midfield this year and see him get some nice high disposal games. Reckon an inside midfielder is his go and hopelly a nat fyfe type presence at stoppages.

My very quick gauge on him was that he gets to some good spots, often keeps the arms free, makes quick and good decisions by hand and appears to have a little bit of mongrel about him.

To me I guess he just didn’t look fit enough. At the start of games (and this is just based off the highlights on two games!) he would be constantly running, linking, etc. But towards the end of the quarters or game in general he'd seem to do a single effort and then just stop or wave his arms.

Not only this but sometimes he looked tired when he kicked it and it just completely missed the mark. A lot of his "effective" kicks were just those long, quick, snaps (a few clearances, mind you) to 50/50 contests.

His kicking was my main concern at a quick glance.

Definitely has great size and great scope. Hopefully any of his weaknesses are a fitness thing and this is something he can improve.

Would love to have someone called 'Reef' on our list. He'd be part of the great Collingwood tradition of drafting players with improbable names. Phonse, Thorold, Rene, Lerrel, Horrie, Tarkyn, Steele, Sharrod... Its a great list.

Where do I know Lerrel & Horrie from?
Did they have an act post Collingwood careers?

Where do I know Lerrel & Horrie from?
Did they have an act post Collingwood careers?

Not sure about their post Pies careers, but two blokes with those names played for us. First half of 20th century I think. Maybe common names then? Would understand why they fell out of favour.:oops:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With
Going by the article on the app, Nick is already 182cm and is 72 kg.
You can see just by looking at him that he is a well formed lad already at 16 much bigger than his brother,it looks a given that the club will draft him,I wonder what position he will end up in hopefully forward we could do with another of those.

Reef next season and I think IQ has a brother coming through very nice.

No U-18 Footy until September so I guess we can say there is no NAB Challenge Season so best we can hope for is some Exhibition Games

Great article from the boys at DC.

If you guys want to narrow down your search for Reef highlights, I suggest the game against Eastern Ranges in July, particularly the first quarter. That was the first time for me he really shot up in my eyes because he has the size, but the way he took control of the midfield it was definitely exciting watching as a Pies fan.

If you guys want to narrow down your search for Reef highlights, I suggest the game against Eastern Ranges in July, particularly the first quarter. That was the first time for me he really shot up in my eyes because he has the size, but the way he took control of the midfield it was definitely exciting watching as a Pies fan.

What website?

Are you sure you have the right game? Looks like he didn't play that game (Bianco had 34 touches) and Eastern blitzed Oakleigh in Q1, albeit Oakleigh came back to win a tight one without Rowell, Anderson, Macrae, McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back