List Mgmt. Collingwood Academy Kids

Remove this Banner Ad

But why can't the Northern States keep there Acadameies and they not making it a Ton.

Southern State side barley do anything to do with Acadamies now. As be waste of Time and Money on it with little Return at Best
The northern states academies serve a real purpose. Taking kids from parts of QLD or NSW that normally wouldn't find a way into the system. They put more money and resources into their academy than any other club does for NGA.
The northern academies are about breeding talent to make them AFL applicable. Many don't make it, but at least they deserve a chance in a state where they have to compete with NRL.

Also, just because they have an academy, does not mean they choose their kids. You'd prob draft 1-2 max most years. The others then go play state league. Or other clubs draft them. Richmond got 2 Lions academy players last year.
Its the clubs job at grooming them for the afl system, even if they don't pick them up themselves.

The NGA, these kids would have been drafted either way, if they play for one of the nab league clubs, they are already winning.

Don't be comparing the difference.

The northern states academies serve a real purpose. Taking kids from parts of QLD or NSW that normally wouldn't find a way into the system. They put more money and resources into their academy than any other club does for NGA.
The northern academies are about breeding talent to make them AFL applicable. Many don't make it, but at least they deserve a chance in a state where they have to compete with NRL.

Also, just because they have an academy, does not mean they choose their kids. You'd prob draft 1-2 max most years. The others then go play state league. Or other clubs draft them. Richmond got 2 Lions academy players last year.
Its the clubs job at grooming them for the afl system, even if they don't pick them up themselves.

The NGA, these kids would have been drafted either way, if they play for one of the nab league clubs, they are already winning.

There is absolutely zero reason why the AFL can’t take over and run the northern academies in the same way that the NGA’s are run Jen. I agree they serve a purpose, and they need to remain, but if the NGA’s are going to be run by the AFL now with the reasoning that the talent pool is being compromised, the same should apply to the northern academies. There’s absolutely no reason for keeping them the way they are while taking away the NGA benefits outside of giving northern clubs an advantage over the rest of the competition.

There is absolutely zero reason why the AFL can’t take over and run the northern academies in the same way that the NGA’s are run Jen. I agree they serve a purpose, and they need to remain, but if the NGA’s are going to be run by the AFL now with the reasoning that the talent pool is being compromised, the same should apply to the northern academies. There’s absolutely no reason for keeping them the way they are while taking away the NGA benefits outside of giving northern clubs an advantage over the rest of the competition.
Yeah, maybe they could. But for whatever reason they decided to make no change to them or F/S. Just seems there was a lot more complaints about the NGA system than about the other academies systems.

So basically you think, leave the academies, but that they should be similar in the aspect none of the clubs can match a bid outside top 20 like they're gonna do with NGA? Thats a fair point. And they probably could implement that rule.
Maybe in the future they will, once the talent up in those places increases.

Yeah, maybe they could. But for whatever reason they decided to make no change to them or F/S. Just seems there was a lot more complaints about the NGA system than about the other academies systems.

So basically you think, leave the academies, but that they should be similar in the aspect none of the clubs can match a bid outside top 20 like they're gonna do with NGA? Thats a fair point. And they probably could implement that rule.
Yep. Pretty much got it in one. Hell, if even be ok with GWS and GC having a slight advantage with the academies for the foreseeable future (access to one first round prospect every couple of years maybe) to make up for not having FS. But the system as it stands is a rort.

That can be done without being linked to Clubs

That be Fairer

We better hope Dib is not top 10 next year... But can't say I blame them for changing it. With covid impacting clubs, they won't be putting as much $$ into the academy going forward.

Next Generation Academy Concessions

From 2021, Next Generation Academies (NGAs) - targeting Indigenous and multicultural players - will be overseen by the AFL Talent Pathway program with support from AFL Clubs. As part of this change, the AFL Commission determined that the concession model for NGAs be revised to reflect this.

The following changes to the NGA concession model ahead of the 2021 and 2022 NAB AFL Drafts will be as follows:

• From 2021, nominated NGA prospects will only be eligible to be matched from Pick 21 in the NAB AFL Draft. All other players selected from Pick 41 onwards can be matched by their Club using their next available selection, while undrafted players are still eligible to pre-selected on the rookie list.
  • From 2022, nominated NGA prospects will only be eligible to be matched from Pick 41 onwards by their Club using their next available selection, while undrafted players are still eligible to pre-selected on the rookie list.
This model allows for elite talent to be available to all AFL Clubs while still ensuring late prospects can find their way onto an AFL list and continue their relationship with the respective Club that has been supporting them.

A summary of changes can be found in the table below:

RoundCurrent20212022
1st Round (Pick 1 – 20)20% discountNo accessNo access
2nd Round (Pick 21 – 40)197 points197 pointsNo access
3rd Round (Pick 41 - 60)197 pointsUse next available selectionUse next available selection
4th Round (Pick 61 +)197 pointsUse next available selectionUse next available selection
Rookie ListAny undrafted playerAny undrafted playerAny undrafted player

Can't believe the Northern academies are being excluded from these changes. Even if they diluted the changes to spread them out over longer to allow a transition. Something like:
2021 - P1-10 no access, P11-20 20%, P21+ 197pts;
2022 - P1-20 no access, P21+ 197
2023 - P1-40 no access, P41+ 197
2024 - as per NGA 2022

Especially for the Bears and Sydney as they already have the access to FS's.

Can't believe the Northern academies are being excluded from these changes. Even if they diluted the changes to spread them out over longer to allow a transition. Something like:
2021 - P1-10 no access, P11-20 20%, P21+ 197pts;
2022 - P1-20 no access, P21+ 197
2023 - P1-40 no access, P41+ 197
2024 - as per NGA 2022

Especially for the Bears and Sydney as they already have the access to FS's.

AFL don't want the Northern State teams to Suck as then no one in NSW and QLD would Care about the Teams and they Lose Money

AFL don't want the Northern State teams to Suck as then no one in NSW and QLD would Care about the Teams and they Lose Money
You are quite bitter about something that does not affect us.

Would you draft these academy kids yourself? Nothing is stopping any club from bidding on them. Their own club would only match if they wanted them and served their list a purpose. If not, they would be happy for them to be in the system but elsewhere. The academies is about breeding the talent for the league in general. These academy kids have nothing to do with whether the clubs suck or not.

You wouldn't want them to apply the same rules to FS rule would you? Why should the northern states (especially the expansion teams) suffer by now having access to academy kids when the other states have access to FS? You talk a lot about equality and fairness, but only fairness to the rest of the league yeah? Who cares about the northern states. Is that what you're trying to say?

Absolutely spot on.

I do think Swans/Brisbane should be in the same boat as the incoming NGA changes. But I'd say the expansion teams (GC/GWS) probably another 5 years at least in the system before transitioning into the same system.

Also, it helps with retention rather than have vic kids ask for trades home. QLD products can stay in the same state.

You are quite bitter about something that does not affect us.

Would you draft these academy kids yourself? Nothing is stopping any club from bidding on them. Their own club would only match if they wanted them and served their list a purpose. If not, they would be happy for them to be in the system but elsewhere. The academies is about breeding the talent for the league in general. These academy kids have nothing to do with whether the clubs suck or not.

You wouldn't want them to apply the same rules to FS rule would you? Why should the northern states (especially the expansion teams) suffer by now having access to academy kids when the other states have access to FS? You talk a lot about equality and fairness, but only fairness to the rest of the league yeah? Who cares about the northern states. Is that what you're trying to say?

It does Affect Collingwood as Can't Bid anyone inside the top 40 in 2 Years. I can maybe Understand Top 20 but Top 40 is going to Far

I do think Swans/Brisbane should be in the same boat as the incoming NGA changes. But I'd say the expansion teams (GC/GWS) probably another 5 years at least in the system before transitioning into the same system.

Also, it helps with retention rather than have vic kids ask for trades home. QLD products can stay in the same state.

GWS might not need them with the Mutiple of 1st Round Picks they get by Trading Players.

Suns are the Only on Really that might need it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does Affect Collingwood as Can't Bid anyone inside the top 40 in 2 Years. I can maybe Understand Top 20 but Top 40 is going to Far
That's the NGA. Apart from Dib next year, which I haven't seen a lot on.. we really have nobody else elite coming through, so after Reef; I've got no issue. I think it all comes down to, clubs won't be putting any real money into the NGA with covid cuts, so why should collingwood or any NGA club get access to elite talent?

Anyways, it is what it is.

I think the changes will encourage tanking.

I mean it wouldn’t make a difference with a Ugle-Hogan, but for players who are projected 2nd rd... why would they perform well only to then go late 1st rd?

E.g. If someone like Dib is projected top 30 and wants to go to Collingwood because of all the work they have put in with him and the relationships he’s made with say Quaynor, N Daicos etc... if the club assures him they are interested... he’s then inclined to underperform or maybe strategically take some additional injury time off.

Because if he lights it up then he runs the increased risk of going elsewhere

Taking $$$ from the NGA's seriously disadvantages the thousands of young people from refugee and multicultural backgrounds. NGA isn't just about remote indigenous kids from the territory, for years here in Geelong it's been about getting the African kids, the Afghani's and the Karen involved in AFL which then leads their families into Australian communities rather than further isolating them. The GFC NGA in conjunction with the region's leading ESL state school/s has given the chance to hundreds of these refugee kids to try AFL and to link into it. David Rodan's AFL Umpires training course has also been trialled there and all of these programs have been outstanding successes. We need to think laterally here, it's not just about finding diamonds for our AFL clubs....its about promoting the sport and our community values. Cutting the NGA's scope will leave these kids stuck in soccer, basketball (neither of which offer wide ranging opportunities or the chance to link in positively with their local communities) or worse...on the streets.

NGA isn't just about remote indigenous kids from the territory, for years here in Geelong it's been about getting the African kids, the Afghani's and the Karen involved in AFL which then leads their families into Australian communities rather than further isolating them.
The Karen only have themselves to blame if they feel isolated, they need to start wearing their masks at Bunnings during lockdown and stop pretending they’re being unfairly discriminated against whilst endangering staff. Arseholes!

Taking $$$ from the NGA's seriously disadvantages the thousands of young people from refugee and multicultural backgrounds. NGA isn't just about remote indigenous kids from the territory, for years here in Geelong it's been about getting the African kids, the Afghani's and the Karen involved in AFL which then leads their families into Australian communities rather than further isolating them. The GFC NGA in conjunction with the region's leading ESL state school/s has given the chance to hundreds of these refugee kids to try AFL and to link into it. David Rodan's AFL Umpires training course has also been trialled there and all of these programs have been outstanding successes. We need to think laterally here, it's not just about finding diamonds for our AFL clubs....its about promoting the sport and our community values. Cutting the NGA's scope will leave these kids stuck in soccer, basketball (neither of which offer wide ranging opportunities or the chance to link in positively with their local communities) or worse...on the streets.
The AFL are still putting $$ into them, so the purpose it still gonna be the same. Given they understand how important it is for kids from different backgrounds to get into this sport in a pathway. But the clubs themselves won't be putting as much $ into the programs as they have, because of cost cutting.
The problem will be run by the AFL instead.

That's the NGA. Apart from Dib next year, which I haven't seen a lot on.. we really have nobody else elite coming through, so after Reef; I've got no issue. I think it all comes down to, clubs won't be putting any real money into the NGA with covid cuts, so why should collingwood or any NGA club get access to elite talent?

Anyways, it is what it is.

Well we would not know about 3-4 Seasons Away who is Going to be Elite or Not yet

The AFL are still putting $$ into them, so the purpose it still gonna be the same. Given they understand how important it is for kids from different backgrounds to get into this sport in a pathway. But the clubs themselves won't be putting as much $ into the programs as they have, because of cost cutting.
The problem will be run by the AFL instead.

Its always been run by the AFL, each club was allocated $150,000 (by the AFL) in 2016 to run their NGA's ... before that we had a $10,000 grant in 2015 and a $4,000 grant the year before.

NGA prospects 2021

COLLINGWOOD
Tharial Ter
Lachlan Dunneman
Luke Kelvie
Youseph Dib
Liam McDermott
Benjamin Quaynor

I'd suggest Dib the only real option. I've heard Nick Daicos mention Kevie, but i can't say I know anything about the rest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back