Coach Collingwood and Buckley - time to move on

Remove this Banner Ad

owen87

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Is Bucks a better coach than Brad Scott? Simon Goodwin? Chris Connolly? Neale Daniher? Rodney Eade? Leon Cameron? Etc.
I'd say Brad Scott was a better coach than he gets credit for. Absolutely don't rate Goodwin or Cameron of the current ones though, so would say Buckley is better than those two and on par with Brad Scott. Worse than Chris Scott, Hardwick, Longmire & Clarkson of the coaches over 200 games.

He's managed to avoid having Collingwood bottoming out, but I've never seen them play in a way that suggests some kind of outstanding coaching mind at the helm.

beema limapep

67, 69, 73, 74, 80, 17, 19, 20
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Stupid question, but why didn't Collingwood sign a Ben Brown or a Jesse Hogan for low coin?

Are they that skint/compromised by appaulingly thought out contracts?

The mind shudders. List managers should be frog marched out of the place.

RUNVS

Hall of Famer
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
The thing I don't get is that the media is still talking about what a great guy Buckley is. Did they not see what happened late last year where Buckley was caught lying to one of his players by saying the playing group did not like him in order to make him feel as uncomfortable as possible and force said player to request a trade? How can anyone say that Buckley is a good/honourable person after that?

The 747

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
The thing I don't get is that the media is still talking about what a great guy Buckley is. Did they not see what happened late last year where Buckley was caught lying to one of his players by saying the playing group did not like him in order to make him feel as uncomfortable as possible and force said player to request a trade? How can anyone say that Buckley is a good/honourable person after that?
Well Wayne Carey is a good bloke
Jobe Watson is a good bloke
Hirdy is a good bloke
Andy D had a misunderstanding about his notes
Chris Scott is a likeable fella
And on it goes......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Stupid question, but why didn't Collingwood sign a Ben Brown or a Jesse Hogan for low coin?

Are they that skint/compromised by appaulingly thought out contracts?

The mind shudders. List managers should be frog marched out of the place.
Ben brown is old on a decent contract with a broken down body, hogan doesn’t want to play footy in Victoria until the media spotlight...

also, we’re rebuilding so don’t really need old players...

cleanhands

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Good tennis player evidently

LeverPuller

BigFooty Tanker
Jun 23, 2011
Q49, Olympic Stand
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Newcastle United Seattle Seahawks
I have another reason.

So the media can stop talking about ******* Collingwood.

17 other clubs, dweebs. Dees on top of the ladder for first time in 16 years, a really close race for the top in talent, a battle for 8th where you can make a case for 5 taking the slot, but the refrain is constantly ******* Buckley, ******* Collingwood. It’s exhausting and I’m not even in Melbourne!

Scotland

TheBrownDog
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I have another reason.

So the media can stop talking about ******* Collingwood.

17 other clubs, dweebs. Dees on top of the ladder for first time in 16 years, a really close race for the top in talent, a battle for 8th where you can make a case for 5 taking the slot, but the refrain is constantly ******* Buckley, ******* Collingwood. It’s exhausting and I’m not even in Melbourne!
The Eddie effect. Remember the 90s when people watched The Footy Show? He was the host, he became Collingwood president and every Pies game was a BLOCKBUSTER they spent 10 minutes talking about. Just ignore the fact that from 1995 to 2001 they didn't even make the finals once...

People just need to take a step back and realise they are just another club. They're not even the biggest fish in their own fishbowl any more.

If the Pies were 7-0 (not far off 0-7) the hype would be unbearable.

The 747

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Watched a bit of the Sunday footy show and wow did they defend Bucks hard (except for Lloyd to his credit). Mega boys club.
Then watched a bit of AFL360 and saw Robbo pleading to "sign Bucks up for two years and move forward". Then complained about the media spending 10 minutes on another show talking about Buckley while spending 10 minutes talking about Buckley. I gather insight and self awareness are not required skills in the media.

Remove this Banner Ad