Coach Collingwood and Buckley - time to move on

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies need more than Bucks to be moved on. Draft pick order as at the end of Round 7:-

Richmond:- 13, 14, 23, 31, 45, 49.
Collingwood:- 38, 56, 74, 92, 110, 128.
what does Richmonds draft picks have to do with anything?

it’s just highlighting how bad Collingwood situation is ...

theyll lose all those picks too getting Nick Daicos.... and go into deficit in 22...

whilst GWS have the pies first pick.
Yeah their list management has been horrible

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

theyll lose all those picks too getting Nick Daicos.... and go into deficit in 22...

And yet 3 changes must be made, yes? Does that mean they’d have to elevate 2 rookies, or trade out someone decent to cover the deficit? Dip into 2022?
It sounds like a bad place to be in no matter what

And yet 3 changes must be made, yes? Does that mean they’d have to elevate 2 rookies, or trade out someone decent to cover the deficit? Dip into 2022?
It sounds like a bad place to be in no matter what

I think they can still use late picks that aren’t worth any points. 74 and later

Last edited:
Getting rid of treloar, Philips and Stephenson to create salary space ???? For whom exactly?
They would have to be after free agents ... and I’m guessing they would have got some assurances last off season for a couple of players.... if not ?? Just wow ... how to destroy a club in one off season..

Buckley inherited a pretty good side.

Pendlebury 23, Sidebottom 20, Reid 22, Thomas 24, Lumumba 24, Cloke 24, Shaw 25, Swan 27 etc. coming off a flag and a GF appearance. Obviously Thomas got injured and was never the same after 2012 but most of those guys played plenty of good footy and the Pies progressively got worse and worse until 2018.

I don't know who pulls all the strings at Collingwood but you get the impression Buckley moved on players he clashed with. A bit like Adam Simpson by the time the 2018 GF rolled around that was his team, not the previous coach's.
Who did Simpson drop on anything but merit?

Who did Simpson drop on anything but merit?

No one springs to mind. More saying that the 2015 side was really the Worsfold team coached Simpson's way, whereas the 2018 team was more molded by Simpson. Guys like Matt Rosa, Scott Selwood, Josh Hill, Pat McGinnity were Worsfold guys that Simpson moved away from. Even Priddis towards the end.

No one springs to mind. More saying that the 2015 side was really the Worsfold team coached Simpson's way, whereas the 2018 team was more molded by Simpson. Guys like Matt Rosa, Scott Selwood, Josh Hill, Pat McGinnity were Worsfold guys that Simpson moved away from. Even Priddis towards the end.
Rosa should have stayed. Would have won a flag. Would still have got a game. Better than Masten.

Just another stat worth noting - assume the pies don’t make the 8 this year, Bucks would have 10 completed seasons and only improved on the previous seasons ladder position once (2017 to 2018). Every other year he has either stagnated or gone backwards. How can anyone survive this unless they’re looked after in a boys club?

Way past assumptions here. No chance of making the 8 this year. In fact if Collingwood are better than 2 and 11 heading into the bye, it’s a minor miracle.

If Buckley had of taken up coaching the Kangaroos instead of Collingwood at the time, then you can bet your bottom dollar he would have been sacked a long ago.

Instead nepotism ran high at Collingwood and no one has had the balls to make the call to get rid of him since.

As can be seen what happened in the last year on a range of things, noticeably the list management side of things, it’s a purely amateurish run organisation and the muppets in charge are just as likely to extend his contract by 3 years rather than do the right thing and get in a proper coach.

Just another stat worth noting - assume the pies don’t make the 8 this year, Bucks would have 10 completed seasons and only improved on the previous seasons ladder position once (2017 to 2018). Every other year he has either stagnated or gone backwards. How can anyone survive this unless they’re looked after in a boys club?
Been saying it for years.

2012-2017 was the longest continual decline of any club in VFL/AFL history.

He got extended for two years after that, which I didn’t support at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if he’d walk if they lose to north this week.
His ego won’t let him. There was a reason he had the moniker of FIGJAM bandied about back in his playing days.

The difference was he could back it up as a player.

Well you don't have 7 weeks of bad luck.... it's a game plan and effort thing.Collongwood are 1 3 a grade kpp away from getting back and there just aren't enough on the market or enough dollars in their cap I hope pre Madonna degoey was worth it

It is a shame Buckley alone is likely to wear it because of the gross incompetence of those who messed up the player contracts to overpay a ruckman and end up losing Treloar and Stephenson. A coach who has won finals in the past 3 years and finished second fourth and sixth is likely to be moved on for one bad season. Collingwood no longer has the cattle. (Long-term injuries are not helping either.)

It is easy for teams to play off the opposition's dominant ruckman, you don't need a dominant ruckman to be successful; Jordon Roughead (2016 Bulldogs premiership ruckman now part-time backman backline third ruck for Collingwood), Scott Lycett (2018 West Coast premiership ruckman now forward second ruck for Port), and Toby Nankervis (undersize triple premiership ruckman for Richmond). These are all very good players for sure but not exactly lauded for their pure ruck work. Brodie Grundy is one of the 3 best pure ruckmen in the AFL but a domination of hit-outs cannot compensate for the players lost for 2021.

Richmond had a poor 2016 and the jungle drums were beating for Damian Hardwick, look how that turned out ...

still think it is weird that the whole systemic racism thing was parked at Eddie's door and Bucks was not held accountable. That seemed to be a collective media decision as to who would carry the can publicly.
I always assumed because Eddie was a prick who upset a lot of people. I imagine there were plenty out there who were just waiting for their chance to roast Eddie over an open fire.

Whereas Bucks seems to been trying to reinvent himself as a 'good bloke' with all his woke-isms and stuff....maybe he got a 'pass' because of that?

Buckley inherited a pretty good side.

Pendlebury 23, Sidebottom 20, Reid 22, Thomas 24, Lumumba 24, Cloke 24, Shaw 25, Swan 27 etc. coming off a flag and a GF appearance. Obviously Thomas got injured and was never the same after 2012 but most of those guys played plenty of good footy and the Pies progressively got worse and worse until 2018.

I don't know who pulls all the strings at Collingwood but you get the impression Buckley moved on players he clashed with. A bit like Adam Simpson by the time the 2018 GF rolled around that was his team, not the previous coach's. If he is judged/credited for the list changeover after 2011, does he get the same scrutiny now? Punting Treloar, Stephenson, Phillips for nothing just doesn't 'feel' like a Bucks move. Maybe it is, but either way this season shouldn't tell the Collingwood admin anything they don't already know about his coaching ability. It's been a decade and if they want to move in a different direction great, but the week to week 'will they won't they' stuff is a bit much.

Can anyone describe the differences between the tactics of the successful Collingwood side under Malthouse (2010) and the nearly successful Pies in 2018 ??

My view is that they essentially played the same style, kicking it around the boundary line, forcing a contest and then hoping to win the ball from the midfield group and kick it around the boundary. Use of an low skilled, combative 2nd KPF/ruckman. But that might not be correct. The 2010 Pies used this to great effect, but can the same be said for the 2018 side ? Or is it my perception ?

I ask because - IMO - the only time Buckley had any success was when he copied a style he deliberately dismantled upon taking charge. He spent years tinkering with a good side making it worse, then went back to 2010 style - only then to start tinkering again making it worse.

The highlighted section above - is what I think drove Buckley - people that weren't like him on and off field - were moved on, taking away the spirit of the side and driving a wedge in the playing group. I think the end of last year and the "mixed messages" from the club highlighted this still exists....

Can anyone describe the differences between the tactics of the successful Collingwood side under Malthouse (2010) and the nearly successful Pies in 2018 ??

My view is that they essentially played the same style, kicking it around the boundary line, forcing a contest and then hoping to win the ball from the midfield group and kick it around the boundary. Use of an low skilled, combative 2nd KPF/ruckman. But that might not be correct. The 2010 Pies used this to great effect, but can the same be said for the 2018 side ? Or is it my perception ?

I ask because - IMO - the only time Buckley had any success was when he copied a style he deliberately dismantled upon taking charge. He spent years tinkering with a good side making it worse, then went back to 2010 style - only then to start tinkering again making it worse.

The highlighted section above - is what I think drove Buckley - people that weren't like him on and off field - were moved on, taking away the spirit of the side and driving a wedge in the playing group. I think the end of last year and the "mixed messages" from the club highlighted this still exists....
the difference was (not to mention RFC again, but..), Bucks had a copy of 'a year in yellow and black' under his arm. You are right, the revolution wasn't so much on-field but off-field, with connectivity, humour, vulnerability etc. emphasized.

I just want to know what happened between the bin-slamming exhilaration of the win in Perth last year when they seemed totally together as a club, and a few months later when they essentially self-immolated during the trade period.

Eddie out to pasture and the pies languishing in the bottom four feels like a win win.
Seems to me the karma gods are having a far greater influence on the state of play than Bucks’ is.

Pies need more than Bucks to be moved on. Draft pick order as at the end of Round 7:-

Richmond:- 13, 14, 23, 31, 45, 49.
Collingwood:- 38, 56, 74, 92, 110, 128.

So Gold Rocks are you going to admonish your fellow Richmond posters for making these points?
Tell them how they'll be okay cause they have Wright in charge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back