Coach Collingwood and Buckley - time to move on

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anyone describe the differences between the tactics of the successful Collingwood side under Malthouse (2010) and the nearly successful Pies in 2018 ??

My view is that they essentially played the same style, kicking it around the boundary line, forcing a contest and then hoping to win the ball from the midfield group and kick it around the boundary. Use of an low skilled, combative 2nd KPF/ruckman. But that might not be correct. The 2010 Pies used this to great effect, but can the same be said for the 2018 side ? Or is it my perception ?

I ask because - IMO - the only time Buckley had any success was when he copied a style he deliberately dismantled upon taking charge. He spent years tinkering with a good side making it worse, then went back to 2010 style - only then to start tinkering again making it worse.

The highlighted section above - is what I think drove Buckley - people that weren't like him on and off field - were moved on, taking away the spirit of the side and driving a wedge in the playing group. I think the end of last year and the "mixed messages" from the club highlighted this still exists....
2010. Essentially full court press. Get it forward hold it in by blokes attacking the ball carrier the rest zoned back and intercepted any hack kick.
2018 Drop a loose back as an intercepter. If the oppo play their loose push two fowards up the wing. Quick ball movement off a contest or turnover hand ball or run through than chaos ball into fowards with open space to spread say Richmond's defence. It was all about the run n spread.
2019-now 6 6 6 kind of fecked it up as well as small rotations. Now we defend the corridor giving up the chip on the boundary rely on pressure to create a turnover and counter attack.
Problem is now too slow to guard the space and with the space if teams catch fire dogs early in Rd 1 or lions late there is no way to stop it.
If anything the game plan is too complicated. Just have a structure of best players in best positions and a few tactics and go from there.
In answer to your second point yes he did but don't know what was going on behind the scenes. A lot of coaches do this and play favourites thou.

Didn't Bucks spurn North in the early 90s? Would be a lovely bit of symmetry if they were the team that ultimately saw him get the flick.
Can see it happening too, Cunnington looks to (finally) be in good shape and their forward line is starting to click. Pitchforks at dawn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Way past assumptions here. No chance of making the 8 this year. In fact if Collingwood are better than 2 and 11 heading into the bye, it’s a minor miracle.

If Buckley had of taken up coaching the Kangaroos instead of Collingwood at the time, then you can bet your bottom dollar he would have been sacked a long ago.

Instead nepotism ran high at Collingwood and no one has had the balls to make the call to get rid of him since.

As can be seen what happened in the last year on a range of things, noticeably the list management side of things, it’s a purely amateurish run organisation and the muppets in charge are just as likely to extend his contract by 3 years rather than do the right thing and get in a proper coach.

Its gonna be so awesomely poetic watching Jaidyn and Atu end his career on the weekend.

Didn't Bucks spurn North in the early 90s? Would be a lovely bit of symmetry if they were the team that ultimately saw him get the flick.

"When they were trying to woo Nathan Buckley to North Melbourne, they went to meet Nathan Buckley in his hotel room," Darce said.

"(North Melbourne coach) Denis Pagan, his version of the story is that - and I find this hard to believe - was lying on his bed eating an apple, and didn't get up from his bed to shake Denis Pagan's hand.

Buckley to be sacked if pies lose to north which is likely like to see graham wright run the show till end of season. Then 2022 ive got 5 to coach the pies they are Micheal Voss, Gary Ayres, Al Clarkson, Justin Leppich or Hickey not too sure on hickey but the othe 4 most definately.
Buckley to be gone this time next week if north beat the pies by any margin too all it needs to be is 1 point and hes gone.

Buckley to be sacked if pies lose to north which is likely like to see graham wright run the show till end of season. Then 2022 ive got 5 to coach the pies they are Micheal Voss, Gary Ayres, Al Clarkson, Justin Leppich or Hickey not too sure on hickey but the othe 4 most definately.
Buckley to be gone this time next week if north beat the pies by any margin too all it needs to be is 1 point and hes gone.

Hickey has turned his career around this year but to go from journeyman ruck to Collingwood coach is some escalation.

I think bucks would just resign at that point.

If he does, I give up.
although it’s not an easy game as north have picked up some mojo.
it is the line in the sand that will ignite the media frenzy and he will have no choice but to resign if pies lose this game.
Ps....Bucks was one of my favourite players.

Is Bucks a better coach than Brad Scott? Simon Goodwin? Chris Connolly? Neale Daniher? Rodney Eade? Leon Cameron? Etc.

I'd say Brad Scott was a better coach than he gets credit for. Absolutely don't rate Goodwin or Cameron of the current ones though, so would say Buckley is better than those two and on par with Brad Scott. Worse than Chris Scott, Hardwick, Longmire & Clarkson of the coaches over 200 games.

He's managed to avoid having Collingwood bottoming out, but I've never seen them play in a way that suggests some kind of outstanding coaching mind at the helm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back