Collingwood and Richmond - who has the greater supporter base

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a reminder: Terms like “Minnowmond”, “Shrinkingwood”, “Dwindlewood” and the like belong on the bay, not the main board. Same goes for referring to either team as a minnow, when clearly neither fits that description.

If you see stuff like this, don’t respond with more of it. Click ‘report’ so we can deal with it.

Huh, bandwagoner supporters, when in the last 30 full seasons of footy Collingwood have only ever finished outside of the top 2 teams for attendances during the home and away season on one solitary occasion, and in that year we finished 3rd, 2000 attendees fewer than the top ranked team?

Oh my.

Years at #1 since 1990:
Collingwood: 22
Richmond: 3

Years outside the top 2 since 1990:
Collingwood: 1
Richmond: 25

I think this illustrates perfectly that Collingwood were the biggest supporter base before Richmond’s supporter base became bigger. If you ignore the Collingwood dead cat bounce in home and away attendances in 2022, and look at the last 10 years in total, we can see the reality. If Collingwood were a bigger club they wouldn’t be struggling to string together 30% as many MCG finals over 90k attendances as Richmond. In fact Collingwood does not have as many consecutive attendances over 70k as what Richmond does over 90k in the AFL era at MCG finals. That is surely impossible if Collingwood have the greater supporter base. And Collingwood wouldn’t have spent the last 5 seasons with substantially less members than Richmond.

Why torture yourselves like this trying to cling on to past glories? We don’t need Richmond to have a greater supporter base than Collingwood, we don’t even particularly want Richmond to have a greater supporter base than Collingwood. But until and unless we see some proper evidence that Collingwood has a greater supporter base than Richmond then we simply need to acknowledge the plain obvious truth that they do not. 😁

I’m an pretty sure there were not many west coast supporters at the pies game as WA was in lockdown at the time. Richmond only drawing 21k v port at the mcg is what small clubs get!! Especially a finals side is Richmond 😂

Ahh yes the never-ending stories of gopies excuses, 25K V eagles but as stated i was discussing the G.

Don't get away from the fact that on a Friday night your mob got 20K V Freo, and you call yourself no 1 turn it up. lol lol lol you of all people should know by posting on the attendances thread, Thurs night crowds are 100% affected due to work and school.

Certainly ahead in my view.

Essendon’s largely irrelevant 18 years means many on here forget the crowd pulling capacity of a successful Essendon. That’s understandable, it’s been 18 years since it won a final. It’s not hard to imaging what Collingwood’s crowds would’ve been with a similar period of prolonged failure (and scandal). Collingwood hasn’t experienced anything like what Essendon has endured as a club the last 20 years, certainly the last 10 years. Only Richmond, and Carlton to a degree can understand the torment of on and off field failure and scandal.

In the era before 3 game memberships, ‘kids free Sundays’ and restricted MCC members access that all served to inflate crowds to new levels the last decade, Essendon was regularly drawing 60-80,000 home crowds at the MCG against non big 4 clubs prior to moving to Docklands throughout the period 1995-1999.

Because Essendon hadn’t been an onfield power basically since going to Docklands, and due to it playing non big 4 teams mostly at Marvel, we tend to forget about Essendon and Carlton’s drawing power. Every now and then, like that Swans fixture in 2019 we get a reminder of what we can expect from a winning Essendon. And thankfully it’s current Board know this and have the intention to amend its playing arrangements at the conclusion of its current venue contract.
Honestly not trying to s**t on your argument, and was just genuinely curious to see Essendon’s crowd numbers from the late ‘90s/early ‘00s after you’d mentioned that, and outside the big 4 clashes, most of their MCG clashes were between that 35k-55k.

There was the odd high number against the Roos and Cats here and there due to both teams being up and about, but crowd numbers didn’t do justice for where I deem Essendon amongst the competition’s biggest.

Still see them as a big 4 because there’s so many Essendon supporters I encounter in my day to day life.

Don't worry dopple you'll be back to these days sooner than you think :p:p:p 20K Friday night footy!
At least we have a 9 X 90K unbroken finals run, pies on a 2 X 90K bender LOL

View attachment 1508981
Strange how you guys continue to just pluck random games to make your arguments.

Funny thing with this is on either week of this game, they pulled 60k and 56k whilst averaging 44k each week for the year.

Richmond? 41k 😂 even at our worst, you’re still behind us.

Ahh yes the never-ending stories of gopies excuses, 25K V eagles but as stated i was discussing the G.

Don't get away from the fact that on a Friday night your mob got 20K V Freo, and you call yourself no 1 turn it up. lol lol lol you of all people should know by posting on the attendances thread, Thurs night crowds are 100% affected due to work and school.
The 2016 game was one of the coldest nights in decades, but keep banging on about comparing apples with apples.

You genuinely need some help.

I think this illustrates perfectly that Collingwood were the biggest supporter base before Richmond’s supporter base became bigger. If you ignore the Collingwood dead cat bounce in home and away attendances in 2022, and look at the last 10 years in total, we can see the reality. If Collingwood were a bigger club they wouldn’t be struggling to string together 30% as many MCG finals over 90k attendances as Richmond. In fact Collingwood does not have as many consecutive attendances over 70k as what Richmond does over 90k in the AFL era at MCG finals. That is surely impossible if Collingwood have the greater supporter base. And Collingwood wouldn’t have spent the last 5 seasons with substantially less members than Richmond.

Why torture yourselves like this trying to cling on to past glories? We don’t need Richmond to have a greater supporter base than Collingwood, we don’t even particularly want Richmond to have a greater supporter base than Collingwood. But until and unless we see some proper evidence that Collingwood has a greater supporter base than Richmond then we simply need to acknowledge the plain obvious truth that they do not. 😁
10 years you say?

Do you like apples?

1663332494114.png

How do you like them apples?

Richmond's absolute peak, Collingwood an unusual four consecutive years outside the finals that rarely happens, and still a shortfall of 545470 in attendance figures.

Wowee.

This is coming after you whinged about Thursday nights and making the arduous trip to Marvel?

Boy oh boy wowee.

Lol lol lol you played on a Friday night, that's what we are talking about and you got 20K. Whats marvel got to do with any of this?
Your mob got 25K v eagles at marvel, who cares the discussion was about the G.

You know the term johnny come lately, that's you to a tee, understand the discussion before commenting as you just come across fricken clueless.

Last edited:
Lol i gave you 80's instead, higher than 70's. Bizarre post.
Nah, you were including 70s.
Yeah just a couple of big crowds ;)

2013 - 81K V Blues, 82K V Pies, 84K+ V Bombers
2015 - 83.5K V Blues, 84K V Bombers and 90K+ V North in the EF
2017 - 86K V Dees, 86K V Bombers, 70K V Saints and Prelim V GWS 95K
2018 - 90K+ V Blues, 71K V Hawks, 77 V Dees, 81K V Bombers, 88K V Pies
2019 - 85K V Blues, 81K V Bombers, 79K V Pies, 77K V Lions
Set whatever benchmark you want

70k, 80k

Still waiting for the full comparison.

Lol lol lol you played on a Friday night, that's what we are talking about and you got 20K. Whats marvel got to do with any of this?
Your mob got 25K v eagles at marvel, who cares the discussion was about the G.

You know the term johnny come lately, that's you to a tee, understanhd the discussion before commenting as you just come across fricken clueless.
Who cares if it was Friday night? Weather affects attendances, just like school nights etc. It’s not that difficult. Only an idiot would focus on one-off data points and not the entire sample.

Which is all delusional Richmond supporters have done for this entire thread, so yes I perfectly understand the discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, you were including 70s.

Set whatever benchmark you want

70k, 80k

Still waiting for the full comparison.
Oh dopple you just dont get it, 14 over 80K, 5 over 70K, make of that what you will. If you want to make a full comparison of 70K by all means knock yourself out.

200.gif

Who cares if it was Friday night? Weather affects attendances, just like school nights etc. It’s not that difficult. Only an idiot would focus on one-off data points and not the entire sample.

Which is all delusional Richmond supporters have done for this entire thread, so yes I perfectly understand the discussion.

Thurs nights, school and work next day, you get that right? Friday going into sat most not working and no school. Rug up.

But the point of discussion wasnt about your crowds wasn't it, you were discussing ours in the 2010's. And i provided them.
You provided a select list just adding 2013 and 2015 to your bubble.

And it was pretty mediocre anyway, hence scraping the barrel and including 70k crowdz.

You wont do the comparison because it will show the Pies are the big ticket.

Tigers getting a paltry 22k to a Friday night home game in 2022...LOL

And you got 25K V eagles at marvel what's your point? We played eagles at the G and got 40K and they were 17th.
One was a blockbuster Friday night slot, what you were talking about wasnt it?

The big prime time blockbuster, crowd friendly Friday night slot, the stand alone game...no school, no excuses, rug up.

23k...to a Friday night slot in 2022.

One was a blockbuster Friday night slot, what you were talking about wasnt it?

The big prime time blockbuster, crowd friendly Friday night slot, the stand alone game...no school, no excuses, rug up.

23k...to a Friday night slot in 2022.

Yours was at the G, that's the difference. 20K on a Fri at the G is pitiful. You left that part out :drunk: Just to counter that and in line with what Dave10 was saying, re the G and Marvel attendances. We played the eagles who were 17th at the G and got 40K. You got 25K v the eagles at marvel.
Now had you played them at the G, what do you reckon you would've got, 10K more?, 15K more? I'll answer it for you, of course, you wouldve, case closed.

Last edited:
Yours was at the G, that's the difference. 20K on a Fri at the G is pitiful. You left that part out :drunk: Just to counter that and inline with what Dave10 was saying, re the G and Marvel attendances. We played the eagles who were 17th at the G and got 40K
21k to home game at the G in 2022 for the Tigers.

School holidays, stand alone slot, no excuses...pitiful you must agree.

The 2020s Richmond crowds show the bubble has popped, 0 75k+ crowds and multiple low 20k home crowds in standalone slots.

But yeah, keep talking about 2016-17 as if that is relevant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back