Collingwood and Richmond - who has the greater supporter base

Just a reminder: Terms like “Minnowmond”, “Shrinkingwood”, “Dwindlewood” and the like belong on the bay, not the main board. Same goes for referring to either team as a minnow, when clearly neither fits that description.

If you see stuff like this, don’t respond with more of it. Click ‘report’ so we can deal with it.

Dec 9, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Richmond had a 35 year advantage of playing at the mcg yet are 9.2 million behind Collingwood in total home and away attendance’s.

Let’s look at this year against the same opponents at the mcg;

Collingwood v Essendon 84,000
Richmond v Essendon 70,000

Collingwood v Carlton 80,000
Richmond v Carlton 72,000 and 50,000 lol

Collingwood v Melbourne 76,000
Richmond v Melbourne 70,000

Collingwood clearly the bigger club
50,000 v Carlton is a disgraceful crowd

Can you imagine how big Collingwood's crowds would be if we'd won 3 flags in the last 5 years, had someone like Dusty and were in contention again? We'd get more than 50,000 each week versus any team in the comp
They were at Princess Park mate !!!

1000% Indisputable fact - in the mid to late 90s - around that time frame Richmond played some of their home games at Princess Park not the MCG

I will give you an actual example - around 96-98 - i cant be bothered looking it up - and it was the final game of the year - it was a Richmond home game - and it was against Geelong ( and they had to win it to make the finals - and they lost thus didnt make the 8 ) .

Now why was a Richmond home game at Princess Park - because the Tigers back then didnt have many supporters

Richmond have had a great run recently and good luck to them - but they have had a hell of alot of supporters come out of the woodwork

From a neutral perspective - Collingwood - The Magpies - and i dont care if they were 0-21 coming into the final round -a home game and they were playing Geelong at any point during their history - there is no chance in hell the game would be played at Princess Park

End of Debate - Thankyou Linesman - Thankyou Ball boys - Game Set and Match to The Magpies
Lol
Screenshot_20220620-223145_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220620-223430_Chrome.jpg

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Richmond had a 35 year advantage of playing at the mcg yet are 9.2 million behind Collingwood in total home and away attendance’s.

Let’s look at this year against the same opponents at the mcg;

Collingwood v Essendon 84,000
Richmond v Essendon 70,000

Collingwood v Carlton 80,000
Richmond v Carlton 72,000 and 50,000 lol

Collingwood v Melbourne 76,000
Richmond v Melbourne 70,000

Collingwood clearly the bigger club
can you parse those into real numbers of each fan set at each game?

like I said Pies are box office, oppo fans love to hate them, love to go along and see their team win against the Pies.

but the question of the biggest club is different. It needs to be a game where there are no oppo fans to judge that accurately.

Has to be against GWS in big finals, and Richmond is the big Baboon in that category.

can you parse those into real numbers of each fan set at each game?

like I said Pies are box office, oppo fans love to hate them, love to go along and see their team win against the Pies.

but the question of the biggest club is different. It needs to be a game where there are no oppo fans to judge that accurately.

Has to be against GWS in big finals, and Richmond is the big Baboon in that category.

Almost the funniest post I have ever read. The one game wonders. Your own supporters have disagreed with you over the last few pages as has almost every neutral. Now let’s look at your straw clutcher GWS final.

Can you provide me with figures of how many MCC supporters were neutral? Many members of my family were present in the MCC and they are Collingwood ?

Can you please provide me with how many AFL members were neutral that day?

Can you provide me with the figures of how many corporates were neutral that day? Yes over 27,000 corporate tickets were issued. I know I was there at a business function of 100 and the majority were non Richmond supporters

Please provide me with the figures of the 3000 Aboriginal awareness tickets that day and who each ticket holder supported?

Please provide me with the clubs of all AFL staff that were provided with tickets that day as part of their allocation.

Please provide me with the clubs of the Interstate Dining Room packages that were sold long before the competing clubs were known.

Please provide me with the ticket numbers of non competing clubs that had an allocation on that day.

Please show me who the 2000 channel 7 staff tickets were allocated to and who they support?

Please provide me with the clubs of the thousands of sponsorship tickets that were allocated

We could keep going all night.

Many neutrals supported Richmond that day because of the story unfolding but the amount of non Tiger fans in the ground that day was bordering on ridiculous.

I will wait for your figures. Until you can provide them please don’t waste my time.

Last edited:

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Almost the funniest post I have ever read. The one game wonders. Your own supporters have disagreed with you over the last few pages as has almost every neutral. Now let’s look at your straw clutcher GWS final.

Can you provide me with figures of how many MCC supporters were neutral? Many members of my family were present in the MCC and they are Collingwood ?

Can you provide me with the figures of how many corporates were neutral that day? Yes over 27,000 corporate tickets were issued. I know I was there at a business function of 100 and the majority were non Richmond supporters

Please provide me with the figures of the 3000 Aboriginal awareness tickets that day and who each ticket holder supported?

Please provide me with the clubs of all AFL staff that were provided with tickets that day as part of their allocation.

Please provide me with the clubs of the Interstate Dining Room packages that were sold long before the competing clubs were known.

Please provide me with the ticket numbers of non competing clubs that had an allocation on that day.

Please show me who the 2000 channel 7 staff tickets were allocated to and who they support?

Please provide me with the clubs of the thousands of sponsorship tickets that were allocated

Many neutrals supported Richmond that day because of the story unfolding but the amount of non Tiger fans in the ground that day was bordering on ridiculous.

I will wait for your figures. Until you can provide them please don’t waste my time.
It's not perfect, all the points you mention are valid, but MCC and all those other confounding factors exist in H&A games PLUS major confounding factors of the FIXture and opposition fans being present in significant numbers.

Cutthroat (non-GF) finals against GWS at MCG for a Melbourne club:
-maximum motivation to attend
-maximum opportunity to attend

So, how many attended? The Tiger - GWS finals had 20%-ish higher attendance than the Pies - GWS finals.

The fact that my measure mirrors the average number of paid members of each club over the last 5 years (i.e. 20%-ish more RFC members than Pies members), is satisfying, and comforting.

Nobody has come up with a cleaner mesaure of relative numbers of engaged/physically/financially able fans so far in this thread, IMO.

As I said, the only pity is, the lack of a 100,000-seater in Perth to enable the same comparison with the Weagles.

The question of WCE vs RFC for the title of biggest cahuna remains.

It's not perfect, all the points you mention are valid, but MCC and all those other confounding factors exist in H&A games PLUS major confounding factors of the FIXture and opposition fans being present in significant numbers.

So, how many attended? The Tiger - GWS finals had 20%-ish higher attendance than the Pies - GWS finals.

The fact that my measure mirrors the average number of paid members of each club over the last 5 years (i.e. 20%-ish more RFC members than Pies members), is satisfying, and comforting.

Nobody has come up with a cleaner mesaure of relative numbers of engaged/physically/financially able fans so far in this thread, IMO.

As I said, the only pity is, the lack of a 100,000-seater in Perth to enable the same comparison with the Weagles.

As I said provide me with the statistics I requested and I will happily entertain a discussion. Your sample size of 1 game simply holds no merit. And you are right, it is a battle between Eagles and Tigers to see who comes in third after the Pies and Bombers. Collingwood the biggest club in the land. Tigers battling for 4th or 5th.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
As I said provide me with the statistics I requested and I will happily entertain a discussion. Your sample size of 1 game simply holds no merit. And you are right, it is a battle between Eagles and Tigers to see who comes in third after the Pies and Bombers. Collingwood the biggest club in the land. Tigers battling for 4th or 5th.
One game, yes, but it is THE game, we are talking prelim finals!

No fan misses prelim finals on a whim. That sub-78k prelim crowd against GWS in 2019 can't just be discounted. 72k the year before in a semi against GWS...

Richmond had one disappointing MCG final crowd pre-covid, the 2018 QF against the Hawks, only got 91k, the rest were 94-95k irrespective of playing Geeling, Collingwood or GWS

Dec 9, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Do you think those big Tiger/GWS crowds had anything to do with the fact you were starved of finals for 35 years?

We make finals all the time, we never drop off, so there's not that urgent need to go to a final unlike with those Tiger fans, half of whom wouldn't have even been born last time Richmond were in contention

No fan misses prelim finals on a whim. That sub-78k prelim crowd against GWS in 2019 can't just be discounted. 72k the year before in a semi against GWS...

Richmond had one disappointing MCG final crowd pre-covid, the 2018 QF against the Hawks, only got 91k, the rest were 94-95k irrespective of playing Geeling, Collingwood or GWS

You do realise their are more variables in finals than in Home and Away. More actual club supporters attend Home and Away games whereas finals numbers are tarnished by sponsors, corporate attention, packages and just about every other hanger on you can imagine.

gopies1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

Collingwood are 9.2 million in front of Richmond in total home and away attendance’s. Carlton are second and they are 7.2 million in totals attendance’s behind Collingwood and Essendon are third and they are 7.4 million behind Collingwood.

I provided statistics and like South of the Yarra states Collingwood is the biggest club in the competition. Hey Collingwood are even first in attendance’s this year as well as In 2019! Hey Collingwood have even played in the 3 biggest crowds this year. Richmond’s biggest crowd was in round 1 against Carlton and that crowd was 72,000!!

All statistic including fan surveys all have Collingwood as the biggest Victorian club and by some margin.

You only rely on 1 game. Hey Collingwood played Adelaide in a sell out preliminary final back in 2002 in front of 88,960 fans. Back then the capacity of the mcg was 96,000!

Again look at the weather of the preliminary final in 2019…….pouring rain all day and drew 78,000! Richmond played Carlton one of the biggest clubs in the competition yet only drew 50,000! Obviously Richmond only go to games when it is not raining and If there are no train strikes ect. Yet they claim to have 100,000 members yet still cannot draws bigger crowds then Collingwood

gopies1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do you think those big Tiger/GWS crowds had anything to do with the fact you were starved of finals for 35 years?

We make finals all the time, we never drop off, so there's not that urgent need to go to a final unlike with those Tiger fans, half of whom wouldn't have even been born last time Richmond were in contention

Exactly it was like a once in a life time event. If Collingwood were starved of finals action for 35 years the pies would of had over 150,000 people at the games if the mcg had the capacity

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond

nobody believes the Pies are so awash with success that they can't be bothered turning up to a prelim.

they have won just three cups in living memory and are firmly in the 'desperate to see us win' category.

Richmond and Hawthorn would be the only sides you could suggest have some kind of 'winners fatigue', but even the Hawks would be getting toey, 2015 is a long time ago now.

Hell, I'm toey after spending just one year off the podium!

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
You do realise their are more variables in finals than in Home and Away. More actual club supporters attend Home and Away games whereas finals numbers are tarnished by sponsors, corporate attention, packages and just about every other hanger on you can imagine.
yes, I exclude GFs from my analytical model for exactly this reason, notoriously overrun by corporates and the fanbase is unable to attend in full.

H&A is hopelessly compromised and is completely ruled out.

QFs always feel a bit like a preamble, there is not 100% motivation to attend becasue you know there is a next week.

Elims, Semis and Prelims are the only 'clean' events left, sudden-death, coupling maximum engagement of the whole fan base, with maximum opportunity to attend, especially if you are playing GWS at the MCG which means it is essentially the GWS cheersquad vs. your fan base.

Dec 9, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
nobody believes the Pies are so awash with success that they can't be bothered turning up to a prelim.
We've played in 9 prelims already this century, they get boring

And let's be honest, there was no way we were beating Richmond in the 2019 GF, losing that prelim to GWS was a relief, a bullet dodged

GWS never got over that GF pounding

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
We've played in 9 prelims already this century, they get boring

And let's be honest, there was no way we were beating Richmond in the 2019 GF, losing that prelim to GWS was a relief, a bullet dodged

GWS never got over that GF pounding
dunno, you would have been pretty confident against the Tiges I reckon!! (going on the events of 2018!)

Frank Grimes

Premiership Player
May 8, 2007
between two bowling alley
AFL Club
Richmond

Richmond made finals 3 of the 4 seasons before 2017. It wasn't exactly like it was their first finals series for a long time.

Also note that since making finals since 2013 all MCG finals Richmond has played in had an attendance of 90,000+.

Dec 9, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Richmond made finals 3 of the 4 seasons before 2017. It wasn't exactly like it was their first finals series for a long time.

Also note that since making finals since 2013 all MCG finals Richmond has played in had an attendance of 90,000+.
How many finals did Richmond actually WIN between Helen D'Amico in 1982 and 2017, was it two? Those poor Tiger fans, no wonder they turned out in droves

Trahanas22

Senior List
Oct 10, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Tige supporters are optimistic and funny.

Pie supporters are world weary and serious.

The former are good for whore mongering, the latter for funerals.
This is one of the best Richmond supporter descriptions I have ever read on Big Footy! Well said. I mean, this is the reason I wouldn’t mind De Goey as a Tiger. He suits our collective psyche much better than Collingwood’s. Can you imagine his antics in a funeral? Scary proposition….

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

Comprehensive response....

Back