Collingwood and Richmond, who has the more feral supporter base?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feral or not Collingwood are one of my favourites to go see us against even though I dont want those *ers to have any success. Might be a bit rough but the majority of them enjoy some banter without taking themselves too seriously like certain other clubs. In terms of feral I have witnessed personally probably Port and Freo going a bit under the radar too, I mean punching a woman at a game is pretty next level feral.

Mike Williamson: "I think we'll be back here next week, Butch!".

Feral or not Collingwood are one of my favourites to go see us against even though I dont want those *ers to have any success. Might be a bit rough but the majority of them enjoy some banter without taking themselves too seriously like certain other clubs. In terms of feral I have witnessed personally probably Port and Freo going a bit under the radar too, I mean punching a woman at a game is pretty next level feral.
Which club was the feral supporter who punched a woman at a game from? Freo or Port?

richmond easily. Whinging if their winning or losing. Collingwood are passionate but never had a problem at their games.

Nah it’s not like they are racist or anything. The Joffa bloke seems pretty good too. Hope his prison time is going well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The designation of ‘feral’, just like jokes about toothless Collingwood supporters, is simply class warfare. Historically, Collingwood and Richmond (and North and Fitzroy) were the most working class clubs, so upper class clubs like Carlton, Melbourne and Hawthorn liked to make up ugly stereotypes about them.

Why does it mean to be ‘feral’? Worth remembering that the only serious bashing at/after the footy, aside from violence during one game in indigenous round this year, was doled out by Hawthorn supporting sons of a QC a couple of years ago, where they nearly killed a bloke in a random unprovoked attack. That to me is more ‘feral’ than Collingwood and Richmond supporters whose greatest sin is coming from relative poverty, and being a bit uncouth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For some reason following the Pies seems to be a requirement for a certain type. Or at least appearing too. I've encountered a few rude/obnoxious Pies fans, but I'm sure most are alright. Some Richmond fans get passionate to the point of being obnoxious...but I can get feral and worked up at games myself, which I guess isn't what WC fans are known for...

Yea i liked how the collingwood supporter headbutted that poor blokes fist, right up there with ah chee headbutting poor cripps shoulder
The irony of a Richmond supporter calling us feral. He/she probably doesn't think their supporter base is feral at all, when their supporters are probably the most feral in the comp.

Haha, touche :D

Growing up, I always went along with the stereotype about Collingwood fans being the worst.

The joke went that parole officers and police were paid triple overtime rates for working on on Grand Final Day 2010. It was part of their collective bargaining agreement- if Collingwood ever made a Grand Final they’d have one of the busiest days of their lives.

But in 2011 I went to the MCG, early in the season and watched the Saints draw with Richmond. A huge Richmond supporter group sat behind me.

Much of the language emanating from that group was not fit for young ears. But what was far worse was what happened when Lenny Hayes did his ACL and was stretchered off the ground.

“DIG A HOLE!

DIG A HOLE!

DIG A HOLE!”

That night was the closest I’ve ever been to punching on with fellow footy fans. The result was a draw but if the Saints had lost, there may well have been punches thrown.

Lenny Hayes was a hero. An AFL icon, universally respected for the way he played the game. So I thought.

But regardless of who it was, the mocking of a player on a stretcher was absolutely contemptible.

Lenny had the last laugh, returning in 2012 and having an epic season as a 32 year old, eventually playing until the end of 2014.

But ever since that night, Richmond fans have taken the mantle as most feral in my view.
I'm tipping that was the Grog Squad, PJ. They were next level back in the day.

I remember being at a Tiges vs Sainters match one Friday night when they'd be chanting "No Means No! No Means No!" every time Stephen Milne went near the ball.

Richmond by far. Only time I’ve ever felt unsafe at the football is at Richmond games.
Interesting you say that. I have a close friend who's a Pies supporter and has worked security at the MCG for about 20 years. Hates Richmond, and we're constantly winding each other up about how feral each other's team is.

But he swears by one thing - there are no worse supporters that he ever encounters than Demons supporters at Melbourne home games. Way worse than Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton or Essendon. He reckons Dees supporters are the most entitled, obnoxious, pretentious patrons by a long margin, and he'll especially avoid working the MCC reserve when they're hosting matches.

Interesting you say that. I have a close friend who's a Pies supporter and has worked security at the MCG for about 20 years. Hates Richmond, and we're constantly winding each other up about how feral each other's team is.

But he swears by one thing - there are no worse supporters that he ever encounters than Demons supporters at Melbourne home games. Way worse than Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton or Essendon. He reckons Dees supporters are the most entitled, obnoxious, pretentious patrons by a long margin, and he'll especially avoid working the MCC reserve when they're hosting matches.
I actually love that you responded with this

Remove this Banner Ad

Back