Collingwood and Richmond, who has the more feral supporter base?

Just thought I'd throw the Dees hat into the ring. It's all anecdotal and subjective anyway, like pretty much everything on this site.
I think you’ll find a fair few anecdotes about people feeling afraid to be around Richmond supporters at the MCG, but maybe your friend who works there is just built of tougher stuff.

I remember reading on here once that someone saw a Richmond fan take a s**t under a seat at Docklands once. I can only hope that wasn’t true.

Deadly Assassin

Senior List
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just thought I'd throw the Dees hat into the ring. It's all anecdotal and subjective anyway, like pretty much everything on this site.
I've already mentioned Melbourne earlier in this thread in regards to how feral their supporters are. Definitely more feral than ours.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
So cause a group of idiots cheered Lenny Hayes doing his ACL, Richmond take the place of Collingwood?

A supporter base who jeered indigenous players weekly for decades at Vic Park and did it with pride?

I mean the most iconic moment of Nicky Winmar's career was raising his jumper, showing his skin and proudly embracing his heritage. The classiest sign of bravery I've seen in AFL - the supporter base was THAT feral Collingwood supporter base at Vic Park who did the same s**t to other indigenous players.

Let's not forget Lumumba, Davis and Kraks all distancing themselves from the club - Eddie calling Adam Goodes an ape.

But yes, it was THAT group of handful of Richmond supporters that takes the cake over a club has had to have a clean out done from the supporters to the president due to their historic racial abuse of indigenous Australians.

I mean the question from the OP is ridiculous, it's Collingwood and then daylight and it's nothing to be proud of and it's not endearing in the slightest.
The question is who is the most feral, not the most racist, so calm down. But yes, we win both I guess. As well as being the greatest, as per the other thread.

Ps: I love tzatziki.

gaelictiogar

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2006
east melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I support Richmond and a kinder more well-read and cultured man you couldn't hope to meet.

I volunteer giving remedial reading lessons to gap-toothed Maggies but to be fair they do say "thank you sir" afterward.

They know their place. Good lads. Salt of the earth. Smell a bit ripe in warm weather it has to be said but luckily it is a winter game.

Definitely Richmond are nearing Collingwood levels of feralness. A lot of younger fans bandwagoning on Richmond the past 4-5 years and they aren't used to losing so go feral mode activated
In 2017 (before the premiership) Richmond had the 3rd highest membership in the AFL. Just 3000 members behind the highest ranked clubs in the AFL (Collingwood and hawthorn). That was after 2016 when Richmond didn't make the finals and hadn't won a premiership for 37 years.

Since then, membership numbers have grown at a similar rate to other comparable big Victorian clubs (Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon).

The salty myth of the Richmond bandwagon has been busted.

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
In 2017 (before the premiership) Richmond had the 3rd highest membership in the AFL. Just 3000 members behind the highest ranked clubs in the AFL (Collingwood and hawthorn). That was after 2016 when Richmond didn't make the finals and hadn't won a premiership for 37 years.

Since then, membership numbers have grown at a similar rate to other comparable big Victorian clubs (Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon).

The salty myth of the Richmond bandwagon has been busted.
The concept of a "bandwagon team" is a total myth.

Every team's membership numbers trend in exactly the same way after a successful season (or seasons). No set of supporters are better or worse in this respect than any other.

The concept of a "bandwagon team" is a total myth.

Every team's membership numbers trend in exactly the same way after a successful season (or seasons). No set of supporters are better or worse in this respect than any other.
The difference with Richmond was that we already had amongst the largest membership in the AFL before our successful seasons, despite 37 years of fail. And since then our membership has grown in trend with clubs like Carlton and Essendon who have had no recent success. So although what you say is true, you could well put a case that Richmond's numbers would have grown at a similar rate even if we hadn't had recent success.

Apr 20, 2008
Sin City
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
No One
That bloke wasn't a Richmond supporter.
Another myth busted.

Seriously, why are West Coast and Geelong supporters so triggered by Richmond?

Yeah because he’s wearing a Richmond scarf and going beserk for fun when they are getting flogged…….

Whatever helps you sleep at night mate.
Watching that video, my god what a bunch of filth.

Yeah because he’s wearing a Richmond scarf and going beserk for fun when they are getting flogged…….

Whatever helps you sleep at night mate.
Watching that video, my god what a bunch of filth.

Look I know Richmond has completely head f***ed you, but the idiot was from QLD, was taken to the game by a Richmond supporting friend and got taken up in all the passion.
With regards to your deep psychological damage at the hands of Richmond: It was way back in 2017, it was only a qualifying final and the people that scared the s**t out of you were children supporting their team (Although I do understand you were there with only 3 of your mates and the kid was 8, so you were outnumbered 2:1). You only abandoned your club at 3/4 time because Geelong were going to lose. Abandoning the club in losing games is something Geelong supporters are infamous for. Sure the crowd was loud, but the whole intimidation thing was just a made up excuse. These days Geelong supporters are deeply embarrassed and ashamed of their pea hearted behaviour that day 5 years ago and seek to deflect.

Apr 20, 2008
Sin City
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
No One
Look I know Richmond has completely head f***ed you, but the idiot was from QLD, was taken to the game by a Richmond supporting friend and got taken up in all the passion.
With regards to your deep psychological damage at the hands of Richmond: It was way back in 2017, it was only a qualifying final and the people that scared the s**t out of you were children supporting their team (Although I do understand you were there with only 3 of your mates and the kid was 8, so you were outnumbered 2:1). You only abandoned your club at 3/4 time because Geelong were going to lose. Abandoning the club in losing games is something Geelong supporters are infamous for. Sure the crowd was loud, but the whole intimidation thing was just a made up excuse. These days Geelong supporters are deeply embarrassed and ashamed of their pea hearted behaviour that day 5 years ago and seek to deflect.
Is that actually you in your avatar? Because you are posting like you literally have no idea.
Are you saying that leaving games early when your team is getting flogged is on par with spitting on a coach?

Your team is irrelevant now. Take a break from bigfooty. You’re clearly struggling mate.

Jetafl

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Astros Detroit Red Wings KC Chiefs
Given the thread title why is Port not an option.

Fun fact (maybe not so fun) at a SANFL game years ago as a kid at Richmond oval. I was sitting on a rug with a green fence behind me and said to my folks the top of the back of my jeans are getting wet. My old man stuck his head behind the fence and there was an old guy drinking a stubby wearing a westies scarf taking a leak. Now that is # feral. Disgusting old buzzard.

Last edited:

RichLeMonde

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
Given the thread title why is Port not an option.

Fun fact (maybe not so fun) at a SANFL game years ago as a kid at Richmond oval. I was sitting on a rug with a green fence behind me and said to my folks the top of the back of my jeans are getting wet. My old man stuck his head behind the fence and there was an old guy drinking a stubby wearing a westies scarf taking a leak. Now that is # feral. Disgusting old buzzard.
I played my first ever game of junior footy against Richmond juniors in Richmond, Melbourne (U12s), in 1992

Our coach told us to avoid one wing because the oppo left broken glass there amd avoided it themselves when attacking, but tried to direct the oppo there to be tackled into it when they had the ball.

After the game one of their supporters had come into our change rooms and pissed on some of our bags.

They were a pretty feral bunch. But the AFL Richmond supporters are, naturally, lovely.

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
On BigFooty….Richmond. In real life Collingwood and it’s not close.
How do you interpret the richmond bigfooty users as feral when I find them funny

They’ve been crap for most of everyone’s life and won 3 flags granted a couple years ago but the tigs aren’t crap yet. That’s all it is. Let them have their fun ffs

HappyRed

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've seen discussions on here regarding who has more supporters out of Collingwood and Richmond but in my opinion, a topic worth a thread of its own discussion is the question regarding who has the most feral supporter base out of the two clubs?

Collingwood and Richmond are two of the biggest clubs. Fact.
Collingwood and Richmond have two of the most feral supporter bases. Fact.

Which club do you think has the more feral supporter base?

Next this guy, gonna say Essendon won the premiership last year lol.
It's not fact because you say it lol, ironic really because I just took census of the room with 3 different people supporting 3 different clubs and they all agree Essendon fans are the most feral lol

So it's a pretty subjective thing to say ultimately.

HappyRed

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
So cause a group of idiots cheered Lenny Hayes doing his ACL, Richmond take the place of Collingwood?

A supporter base who jeered indigenous players weekly for decades at Vic Park and did it with pride?

I mean the most iconic moment of Nicky Winmar's career was raising his jumper, showing his skin and proudly embracing his heritage. The classiest sign of bravery I've seen in AFL - the supporter base was THAT feral Collingwood supporter base at Vic Park who did the same s**t to other indigenous players.

Let's not forget Lumumba, Davis and Kraks all distancing themselves from the club - Eddie calling Adam Goodes an ape.

But yes, it was THAT group of handful of Richmond supporters that takes the cake over a club has had to have a clean out done from the supporters to the president due to their historic racial abuse of indigenous Australians.

I mean the question from the OP is ridiculous, it's Collingwood and then daylight and it's nothing to be proud of and it's not endearing in the slightest.

Oh you said it... must be true... smh lol the idiocy in this thread is both amusing and top tier.

Back