Collingwood apologise for booing

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm….so a coach is asked ‘What did you think about the boo’ing of Buddy’

Whats he supposed to say, ‘Who’s Buddy?’.😆😆

Man, Id hate to see you if he really cut loose and pointed the finger….you’d go blue! 😆😆😆

Nah…I refer back to my earlier post….you’re distinctly paranoid.

Me and the rest of society but not you it seems.

Whole Collingwood hierarchy captain coach, media, 90% of the social boards all got the inference.
But nah not you. You know he was just saying why boo bud for no reason.

Yes- I do think that the attitude of your club leaders holds more weight than mine or yours because it’s their workplace, not ours, and they are reacting to events that occurred at their place of work. They didn’t like the booing-simple. And they didn’t mention race and neither have I. Nor have I mocked your words.
And if I have been on the receiving end of unpleasant behaviour ( whatever the circumstances), and understand how lousy it is, why would I want to inflict something like that on anyone else?

Sorry, I didn’t mean to say you mocked me, you never did. I just meant you hold their opinions to a higher regard on social issues than mine then clarified it by saying it’s because it’s their workplace in the above quoted post.

I also disagree with that view. Are you talking about workplace vilification or racism? Again, I reckon I’ve got the right to feel more strongly, or have a greater voice than they do about racial vilification considering my background, and my being a minority in this country. As I said earlier in this thread, when I was a kid, growing up in far north QLD, a school told my parents we should be assigned ‘English’ names so that we’d fit in better. Do you really think Craig McRae, Darcy Moore or Craig Kelly have a right to have a bigger voice than me around this topic? Just because they’re high profile? Or just because it’s their workplace?

Its one thing to boo a player that's been dirty or that player has left your club, particularly if that player's new club is a hated rival or the crowd is reacting to the umpires and take it out on the player that benefited but does any of that apply to Buddy?

Again, I need you to clarify, is booing all together needing to stop? Or just who it’s directed to and why?

You’re saying if someone simply changes who he is employed by, or if they make a mistake in their line of work, it’s ‘one thing’ to boo them, but it’s completely different if the one on the receiving end is indigenous.

You either have to put a stop to booing completely, and outlaw it, or it needs to be free reign for all (within reason and as long as it’s not done in response to a racial issue). You can’t nitpick on this and who gets booed and who doesn’t. It’s actually indirectly becoming a racial issue if people DON’T boo an indigenous player because they are indigenous. That becomes crazy.

Proviso - I’m reiterating my point that I’m not personally a booer (have done it to umpiring decisions only) but just trying to understand the boundaries people are wanting to set on this topic.

I regret that the healing ceremony held at Victoria Park wasn’t promoted and publicised more.
Perhaps the AFL and clubs could instigate a similar ceremony prior to each match this Indigenous Round and include a gift giving from the non-indigenous to the indigenous peoples. Make it as spine tingling and reverent as the Anzac Day ceremony.
It would no doubt be considered virtue signalling by some but let”s do it anyway.

I think people don't realise JHF is also indigenous. If you put 2 and 2 together you can see why clubs, coaches and the AFL have taken the front foot with these ones.
JHF was a number one draft pick who stopped trying after six weeks of playing for the bottom team and at the first chance went to a team that finished one and two in two of the last three seasons and is out of second place on percentage right now. In what looked like a pre-planned move and one that media etc had been talking about since early in the season.

Other non North people can see this and some of them view him as someone who cheated the draft and equalisation process and broke a contract to get to a club that had no right to access him so easily and so quickly after he was drafted. He then publicly described his decision as courageous.

Its pretty rich to associate his identification as indigenous thru his step father as anything to do with people booing him. How much racism do you reckon a big white footy player gets in Australia?

Again, I need you to clarify, is booing all together needing to stop? Or just who it’s directed to and why?

You’re saying if someone simply changes who he is employed by, or if they make a mistake in their line of work, it’s ‘one thing’ to boo them, but it’s completely different if the one on the receiving end is indigenous.

You either have to put a stop to booing completely, and outlaw it, or it needs to be free reign for all (within reason and as long as it’s not done in response to a racial issue). You can’t nitpick on this and who gets booed and who doesn’t. It’s actually indirectly becoming a racial issue if people DON’T boo an indigenous player because they are indigenous. That becomes crazy.

Proviso - I’m reiterating my point that I’m not personally a booer (have done it to umpiring decisions only) but just trying to understand the boundaries people are wanting to set on this topic.

I'm not saying booing has to stop because its part of the game but its normally associated with a player leaving that club or a player's on-field actions or the umpires, yet for some reason Collingwood fans booed Buddy and Buddy felt it was race based. It could also be something off-field like when Essendon fans booed Pendlebury on ANZAC Day after Collingwood supporters started chanting dopers but the media only picked up Essendon fans responding.

Last edited:
Unfortunately people trying to prove their intent not being racist does not stop the booing possibly bringing up past trauma. The point goes flying over their head every single time.

Hopefully with your comment people can understand why the booing of buddy might be reported as more important than others. The apology by Collingwood addresses exactly this. Unfortunately for some it has to be spelt out.

I think people don't realise JHF is also indigenous. If you put 2 and 2 together you can see why clubs, coaches and the AFL have taken the front foot with these ones.
So the dumb racist booers are smart enough to know JHF is indigenous? (I for one didn’t know)

I'm not saying booing has to stop because its part of the game but its normally associated with a player leaving that club or a player's on-field actions or the umpires, yet for some reason Collingwood fans booed Buddy and Buddy felt it was race based. It could also be something off-field like when Essendon fans booed Pendlebury on ANZAC Day after Collingwood supporters started chanting dopers but the media only picked up Essendon fans responding.
My point though, rightly or wrong, why is it anymore ‘appropriate’ for when a player simply changes clubs? They’re not doing it to piss the fans off, so why do we ‘accept’ that as fair game yet booing Buddy isn’t?

Even the Pendles thing on ANZAC day. I think you guys had gotten the rough end of the stick that day from the umps and I reckon that might’ve been the day Parish had 40+ and was in for a show to win the medal. Again, I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, just disputing how people can argue when there can be a right or wrong person to boo with no prior context.

Wayne Carey was booed for years. Were you a racist if you booed Wayne Carey?

Jason Horne-Francis has been booed almost weekly this year. Are you a racist if you boo Jason Horne-Francis?

Buddy has said no such thing in fact he stated ro longmuire the opposite and said he largely didn't notice it as he was too focussed on the game.

The booing of Buddy is being extremely over blown in both frequency and intensity.

It was not even remotely close to Goodes booing or Jobe Watson or Ginnivans or EVEN PAPLEY from the same game.

The media tried to make a story, Longmire took the chance to make the narrative and deflect from his premeditated physical targeting of a 2nd year player young gun. And also the fact Swans have a negative win loss.

They should of been the story.
Instead we are debating wether a few inoccuos boos, that have been given reasons for, is racist because people feel it is despite acknowledging the intent most likely was not!

It's crazy stuff.

Last edited:

Jason Horne-Francis has been booed almost weekly this year. Are you a racist if you boo Jason Horne-Francis?

As Wayne said the pies cheer squad would chant "Carey's a w***er" the entire game.

Imagine if that was what happened to Buddy now....rather then a few low level boos due to Murphy throat elbow, then a loud boo for a shot on goal and I think a couple late game jeers after a quiet game.

It should of been a non issue instead here we are debating whether booing is now a racist act...

Wayne Carey is probably (ie is) indigenous and JHF has been adopted by his indigenous step dad .... well his adopted dad I spose - JHF thinks of him as his real dad so he is.

Friday May 5th - Maguire drags Franklin's name into another (ill informed) rant on COLA

Sunday May 7th - Collingwood fans boo Buddy

Coincidence?

Richard Colless response today: Fiery feud reignites as former Swans boss hits back over Eddie‘s ‘garbage’ COLA claims
If McGuire was indigenous, you’d be seen as being a racist. Why is it so accepted to pot Eddie? I guess his mental health doesn’t matter. The guy has been bloody great for our game and could be argued that he single handedly saved one of the biggest clubs of our great game, yet it’s perfectly fine to sling s**t at him and getting likes for it. What a load of crock.

Re above, he was on a footy talk show, and responding to a co host. Wtf do you expect him to do exactly?

Put the racism, dislike and personal opinions aside. The bloke came out and said he was distressed by it. At that point would an empathetic respectful human being continue to put someone through it or would you stop? It was put perfectly at the time - it's racism at worst or bullying at best.

Anywhere or any situation in life, regardless if you think a person is being weak, a sook, unreasonable, misunderstanding your intention etc- If that person tells you that what you're doing is affecting them, then you stop. AFL fans collectively pushed the bloke into depression. A complete lack of intelligence to understand that their reason for booing was completely irrelevant by the end of it.
I have never booed a player in my life, and agree it was unfortunate that it got to the point where he was actually missing matches because of it. But. IMO his actions did not help the cause. If he just got on with playing football instead of implying that everything was racially motivated and essentially turning himself into a protected species who wasn't allowed to be booed, it would have never got to the point that it did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Friday May 5th - Maguire drags Franklin's name into another (ill informed) rant on COLA

Sunday May 7th - Collingwood fans boo Buddy

Coincidence?

Richard Colless response today: Fiery feud reignites as former Swans boss hits back over Eddie‘s ‘garbage’ COLA claims
Pretty pathetic snipe by Colless. None of any of that had anything remotely to do with Adam Goodes.

I have never booed a player in my life, and agree it was unfortunate that it got to the point where he was actually missing matches because of it. But. IMO his actions did not help the cause. If he just got on with playing football instead of implying that everything was racially motivated and essentially turning himself into a protected species who wasn't allowed to be booed, it would have never got to the point that it did.
His hurt was stemming from the struggles and trauma he received growing up as an indigenous person. Everytime you boo him, even if it's not racially motivated, an indigenous person can be triggered by previous trauma. You're basically disregarding his cultural struggles by demanding he not talk about it and continuing the booing, which is the point it starts turning into racism.

I don’t think Buddy ever claimed he felt that way.

Anyway, next time Port play Essendon in Melbourne, I suspect Junior Rioli will be booed.

All it will take is the mere suggestion by someone in the media (“we’re seeing a pattern, aren’t we? Goodes, JHF, Franklin, now Rioli…”) that the booing is too boisterous and maybe ‘race based’ and Essendon will have no choice but to issue a grovelling apology.

I don’t think Buddy ever claimed he felt that way.

Anyway, next time Port play Essendon in Melbourne, I suspect Junior Rioli will be booed.

All it will take is the mere suggestion by someone in the media (“we’re seeing a pattern, aren’t we? Goodes, JHF, Franklin, now Rioli…”) that the booing is too boisterous and maybe ‘race based’ and Essendon will have no choice but to issue a grovelling apology.
This is what I’m struggling to get my head around. Where do we draw the line now?

I’ve been asking this regularly in this thread, and no-one seems capable of answering. Why didn’t Shaun Burgoyne ever get booed? Why doesn’t Bobby Hill get booed? Why doesn’t Wanganeen-Milera get booed?

We are we shying away from the fact Buddy can be a flog, has acted the flog before and people can dislike him. Why do we have to pull out the race card?

Rubbish.

The racist incident with the girl was May 2013.
January 2015, Adam Goodes was named Australian of the year.
May 2015, Sydney play Hawthorn, the booing starts then.

Did you go to every Melbourne Swans game between 2013 and 2015?

I did. I know when it started. I even rang SEN and tweeted to Rohan Connolly and Whately after the first time it started, both my GF and I couldn’t believe my ears.

I won’t say which team…I don’t want to distract the discussion- but I can tell you it WASN’T Hawthorn.

Hawthorn booed after the initial request not to was made by the AFL.

Regardless - People were told it was considered a racist response and backlash against the ‘uppity, mouthey black fella’.

Some continued - regardless of their reasons…they are vicariously racist and/or bullies.

JHF was a number one draft pick who stopped trying after six weeks of playing for the bottom team and at the first chance went to a team that finished one and two in two of the last three seasons and is out of second place on percentage right now. In what looked like a pre-planned move and one that media etc had been talking about since early in the season.

Other non North people can see this and some of them view him as someone who cheated the draft and equalisation process and broke a contract to get to a club that had no right to access him so easily and so quickly after he was drafted. He then publicly described his decision as courageous.

Its pretty rich to associate his identification as indigenous thru his step father as anything to do with people booing him. How much racism do you reckon a big white footy player gets in Australia?

He’s a teenager who changed workplaces.

This is what I’m struggling to get my head around. Where do we draw the line now?

I’ve been asking this regularly in this thread, and no-one seems capable of answering. Why didn’t Shaun Burgoyne ever get booed? Why doesn’t Bobby Hill get booed? Why doesn’t Wanganeen-Milera get booed?

We are we shying away from the fact Buddy can be a flog, has acted the flog before and people can dislike him. Why do we have to pull out the race card?

Nevermind whether he’s a flog or not, he’s also just very good at what he does. That enough of a reason for many.

As Wayne said the pies cheer squad would chant "Carey's a w***er" the entire game.

Imagine if that was what happened to Buddy now....rather then a few low level boos due to Murphy throat elbow, then a loud boo for a shot on goal and I think a couple late game jeers after a quiet game.

It should of been a non issue instead here we are debating whether booing is now a racist act...

Do you remember Richard Hadlee getting furious over the “Hadlee’s a w***er” chant - He was reportably about to get on the plane over it -

Why? Because he was a sportsman - he enjoyed playing the game, the camaraderie, the challenge to do better, the honour of representing his country - and 2000 people start chanting he’s a w***er…to one of the greats.

Translate that to Goodes or Franklin - what choices do they have?

Goodes was victimised…Franklin is in fear of his final year ending with this kind of treatment.

Mob mentality is what it is - Racism or Bullying - regardless of how ‘loud’ it is.

It is the very WORST of Human behaviour - ganging up like a pack of baboons.

If a person wants to defend it…be prepared to seen as a lower primate.

Last edited:
He’s a teenager who changed workplaces.
Yeah by renegging on a contract in the context i just mentioned.

Anyway what you're saying has nothing to do with the discussion point which is that JHF is not suffering the sort of potential trauma that myself and other people posting in this thread, or Goodes, betts and potentially Buddy have experienced playing footy and in general from life because of overt racist behaviour from what seemed like the vast majority of the population at the time.

So take it to the JHF thread.

If McGuire was indigenous, you’d be seen as being a racist. Why is it so accepted to pot Eddie? I guess his mental health doesn’t matter. The guy has been bloody great for our game and could be argued that he single handedly saved one of the biggest clubs of our great game, yet it’s perfectly fine to sling s**t at him and getting likes for it. What a load of crock.

Re above, he was on a footy talk show, and responding to a co host. Wtf do you expect him to do exactly?
Yeah but he isn't indigenous.

He's been of the most powerful people in the Australian football and media landscape and he's happy to treat people like s**t if it serves his interests or Collingwood's, so he's fair game. People are allowed to punch upwards, only jerks and bullies punch down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back