Collingwood apologise for booing

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm….so a coach is asked ‘What did you think about the boo’ing of Buddy’

Whats he supposed to say, ‘Who’s Buddy?’.😆😆

Man, Id hate to see you if he really cut loose and pointed the finger….you’d go blue! 😆😆😆

Nah…I refer back to my earlier post….you’re distinctly paranoid.

Me and the rest of society but not you it seems.

Whole Collingwood hierarchy captain coach, media, 90% of the social boards all got the inference.
But nah not you. You know he was just saying why boo bud for no reason.

You’re justifying abusing females?
I am pointing out that it is not multiple females who have accused him of abuse on Chapel street, as you are suggesting. Just one.

I’m guessing you don’t have a daughter if you’re defending him for that.
I have no idea what was said. Unless I'm mistaken, Lance claims he was not the instigator.
Countless times I've seen you defend players because the facts are either unknown or unclear. So it shouldn't be hard for you to understand why I am not admonishing or defending Franklin for something I know nothing about.

That said, I suspect if there was something particularly egregious, it would be common knowledge.

If someone has been suspended multiple times, and you’ve shared it’s equated to 7 games, they aren’t prone to being a flog?
TBH I don't know what your definition of a "flog" actually is. I would say that Papley acts like a flog: aggressive, scrags a bit, celebrates goals like a moron, gets in the opponents face.
I don't associate that behaviour Franklin at all, nor do I associate him with being dirty.

A few suspensions in a very long career doesn't necessarily make someone a flog.

The buddy booing wasn’t fair- he hadn’t done anything that warranted that response. Ginnivan is a pantomime villain and got some boos for that, as did Selwood, as will Stewart tomorrow night.
This is the crux of the issue though. How do we decide who is allowed to be booed? What level of “pantomime villain” must you achieve to “deserve” it? And who decides?

Some people thought Papley was a villain, he got booed.
Some people thought Franklin was a villain, he got booed.

That’s it. The same as every week. As usual the media have overcomplicated it, and now there’s a very real chance of it escalating because of it.

Richmond will give him heaps tomorrow night and fair enough, but if it continues every time we play them and is relentless and noisy like buddy’s was every time - then it’s bollocks- mean and nasty for the sake of it and why would anyone want to be like that?

Relentless? It happened three times, once when he was lining up for goal.

I am pointing out that it is not multiple females who have accused him of abuse on Chapel street, as you are suggesting. Just one.
One is one too many. It’s silly position you’re taking or trying to defend. Odd even.
I have no idea what was said. Unless I'm mistaken, Lance claims he was not the instigator.
Countless times I've seen you defend players because the facts are either unknown or unclear. So it shouldn't be hard for you to understand why I am not admonishing or defending Franklin for something I know nothing about.

I keen getting referenced back to Collingwood players like two wrongs somehow make a right. Again, an odd stance to take.

That said, I suspect if there was something particularly egregious, it would be common knowledge.

AFL star apologises to woman for rude behaviour

This whole thread is about how clubs/players don’t come out and apologise unless something wrong has actually occurred, now we’re back peddling…

TBH I don't know what your definition of a "flog" actually is. I would say that Papley acts like a flog: aggressive, scrags a bit, celebrates goals like a moron, gets in the opponents face.
I don't associate that behaviour Franklin at all, nor do I associate him with being dirty.

A few suspensions in a very long career doesn't necessarily make someone a flog.

I honestly don’t want to turn this into a Franklin slag-fest because the guy is an absolute legend of our game. But there’s no denying he ain’t no angel, and he is prone to the random act of thuggery on the football field, which would lead to people not liking him.

Ginnivan ducking, or Papley celebrating too hard seems to rile up people the wrong way, but copping multiple suspensions for striking, elbowing and rough conduct is something that is perfectly fine apparently and will get defended. Strange world we live in.

One is one too many. It’s silly position you’re taking or trying to defend. Odd even.
I'm not defending anything. I'm just pointing out that your claim that Lance Franklin has abused multiple women is bullshit.

Really not sure what you're on about here.

I honestly don’t want to turn this into a Franklin slag-fest

Also you

Booing and this topic aside, Buddy is equal the flog that Papley is.

The guy has been caught out abusing females on Chapel street and plays the game of footy on the edge, serving multiple suspensions. Outside him being an absolute legend of our game for what he has achieved, if you don’t see him as a flog at times you’re choosing to keep your head in the sand because you’re too scared it might come off as being racist because he is indigenous.

Merry Go Round Dog GIF

He wasn't a thug and didn't deserve to be run out of the game. Players like Toby Greene are way worse than that.
I never understood the booing of Goodes but I actually do think that Buddy is a dirty sniper. I think you’re allowed to boo if that player sniped last time they played your team. And if they take out your team’s players with dog acts more than once, you can boo them for the rest of their careers. They’re the booing rules I reckon.

Edit: do you remember when Buddy took out Ben Cousins (Richmond version)? Surely worth a boo next time we played them.

Last edited:
I never understood the booing of Goodes but I actually do think that Buddy is a dirty sniper. I think you’re allowed to boo if that player sniped last time they played your team. And if they take out your team’s players with dog acts more than once, you can boo them for the rest of their careers. They’re the booing rules I reckon
Buddy is definately not a dirty sniper. Tom Stewart is an example of a dirty sniper as is Toby Green.

I never understood the booing of Goodes but I actually do think that Buddy is a dirty sniper. I think you’re allowed to boo if that player sniped last time they played your team. And if they take out your team’s players with dog acts more than once, you can boo them for the rest of their careers. They’re the booing rules I reckon
I think if the CEO, coach, captain and ex-coach said that the booing was out of place and apologised on behalf of the fans, I think I'd stop booing.

I'd show my club that respect as well as the players involved.

I agree about booing something which has happened in the current game, and maybe one game prior.

Buddy is definately not a dirty sniper. Tom Stewart is an example of a dirty sniper as is Toby Green.
I edited my other post but I’ll add it here.

Do you remember when Buddy took out Ben Cousins (Richmond version)? Surely worth a boo next time we played them.

I have definitely noticed many dog acts from Buddy over the journey. Not disputing Greene. Haven’t noticed Stewart myself but different things stick in different people’s memories.

Put the racism, dislike and personal opinions aside. The bloke came out and said he was distressed by it. At that point would an empathetic respectful human being continue to put someone through it or would you stop? It was put perfectly at the time - it's racism at worst or bullying at best.

Anywhere or any situation in life, regardless if you think a person is being weak, a sook, unreasonable, misunderstanding your intention etc- If that person tells you that what you're doing is affecting them, then you stop. AFL fans collectively pushed the bloke into depression. A complete lack of intelligence to understand that their reason for booing was completely irrelevant by the end of it.

I don’t think I’ve seen this articulated as well as the above.

Do yourself a favour and re-read it.
If you still don’t get it, you owe it to yourself to understand why.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think if the CEO, coach, captain and ex-coach said that the booing was out of place and apologised on behalf of the fans, I think I'd stop booing.

I'd show my club that respect as well as the players involved.

I agree about booing something which has happened in the current game, and maybe one game prior.
My post about booing snipers was tongue in cheek.

I actually happen to think that because of what happened to Goodes, it would be better to simply not boo any aboriginal players, except in egregious circumstances. If Buddy was white, I actually wouldn’t be bothered if he got booed with some regularity, because I genuinely do think he’s been dirty

I edited my other post but I’ll add it here.

Do you remember when Buddy took out Ben Cousins (Richmond version)? Surely worth a boo next time we played them.

I have definitely noticed many dog acts from Buddy over the journey. Not disputing Greene. Haven’t noticed Stewart myself but different things stick in different people’s memories.
What 14 years ago? What does that have to do with Collingwood scumbags and their booing?

What 14 years ago? What does that have to do with Collingwood scumbags and their booing?
You said Buddy was a cleanskin. I pointed out that he’s not. Rather than admit you’re wrong now you’re trying to bring the focus back to Collingwood. Aristotle? More like one of the sophists.

Franklin also rubbed out for striking Cotchin in 2022.

Also rubbed out when ran past the footy and elbowed Connor Menadue in the head when he was bent over the footy.

So that’s 3 suspensions, 2 for head shots, against one team.

Already rubbed out this year for high hit against Gold Coast.

He’s a cowardly thug

Last edited:
You said Buddy was a cleanskin. I pointed out that he’s not. Rather than admit you’re wrong now you’re trying to bring the focus back to Collingwood. Aristotle? More like one of the sophists.

Franklin also rubbed out for striking Cotchin in 2022.

Also rubbed out when ran past the footy and elbowed Connor Menadue in the head when he was bent over the footy.

So that’s 3 suspensions, 2 for head shots, against one team.

Already rubbed out this year for high hit against Gold Coast.

He’s a cowardly thug
Rubbish. Tom Hawkins doesn't get booed and punched plenty of little blokes. That's just a piss poor excuse to throw hate at Buddy and at it's root it is racism just like Adam Goodes was.

Rubbish. Tom Hawkins doesn't get booed and punched plenty of little blokes. That's just a piss poor excuse to throw hate at Buddy and at it's root it is racism just like Adam Goodes was.
Such a small minded attitude for someone who wants others to be more open minded.

It’s either “I’m right” or you’re a racist.

Seriously?

On the upside of all this, I believe just a noisy minority of Pie fans booed Franklin. Credit to the bulk of Pie fans who are clearly happier with the likes of McGuire having moved on from their Club And stayed out of it.

Is Franklin a dirty player? He does throw his weight around - mostly legally, even now where bumps and tackles are carefully watched. I would make the point he has copped more than his fair share of whacks behind the ear over his long career.

He is now in the twilight of what has been a terrific career. We have all been lucky to have watched him play.

On the upside of all this, I believe just a noisy minority of Pie fans booed Franklin. Credit to the bulk of Pie fans who are clearly happier with the likes of McGuire having moved on from their Club And stayed out of it.

Is Franklin a dirty player? He does throw his weight around - mostly legally, even now where bumps and tackles are carefully watched. I would make the point he has copped more than his fair share of whacks behind the ear over his long career.

He is now in the twilight of what has been a terrific career. We have all been lucky to have watched him play.
When he signed that 9 year deal to go to the Swans, I would have bet all the weed in Afganistan he would not have made the 9 years. Fair play to the champ, an all time great for sure.

Such a small minded attitude for someone who wants others to be more open minded.

It’s either “I’m right” or you’re a racist.

Seriously?
You're trying to tell me they booed Buddy because of a run in with Ben Cousins 14 years ago. Talk about clutching at straws mate

You're trying to tell me they booed Buddy because of a run in with Ben Cousins 14 years ago. Talk about clutching at straws mate
No-one is telling you that. We’re telling you that Buddy isn’t a squeaky clean player and can be disliked by fans. It’s not rocket science, not sure why you’re even disputing that.

Put the racism, dislike and personal opinions aside. The bloke came out and said he was distressed by it. At that point would an empathetic respectful human being continue to put someone through it or would you stop? It was put perfectly at the time - it's racism at worst or bullying at best.

Anywhere or any situation in life, regardless if you think a person is being weak, a sook, unreasonable, misunderstanding your intention etc- If that person tells you that what you're doing is affecting them, then you stop. AFL fans collectively pushed the bloke into depression. A complete lack of intelligence to understand that their reason for booing was completely irrelevant by the end of it.

Excellent post.

Some fans complaining that the club “hung them out to dry” and talk about boycotting is sad. It’s one thing to claim a right to boo, but don’t complain that the club is soft for not defending them for it.

The coach/players have said many times they don’t like booing full stop (McRae re: JHF; Adams re:Sydney fans booing Ginni). The club is consistent - they’ve stepped it up because some haven’t listened.

The club apology didn’t cite racism. But even if there is no racist intent, all that matters is how the person on the receiving end feels. And if just one kid in the crowd sees it and misunderstands why they are booing then that would be terrible.

As a booer you’re anonymous and unaccountable; the players/coach have their name, reputation and legacy at stake and might be sick of answering media questions about it and apologising for a past they weren’t involved in. Having just gone through Do Better and the Winmar apology - history is only going to judge harsher retrospectively so it's understandable to err on the side of caution even if it’s "just" about mental health and depression.

So booers can still assert their right to boo but don't complain when the club say they don’t like it - paying membership doesn’t mean you own player/coach opinions. It's hypocritical to say players shouldn’t be so sensitive to booing yet be so offended because the club apologised for it.

(Would they boo at their 9yo kid’s game? And if their kid asked them to stop because it was embarrassing, would they complain and boycott their games? What’s the difference?)

Pies are top of the ladder, playing highly entertaining football at a time when many expected them to be bottom 4 following 2021/salary cap implosion.

With a 2nd year player that’s a joy to watch and already Brownlow favourite.

When Opposition hatred for the Pies should be peaking in line with ladder position, yet a few seem to enjoy the confusing and guilty pleasure of a Pies win.

It’s sad that some Pies fans can’t enjoy that.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back