Doona2

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2005
Kilmore
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Kilmore, Broadford, Yea, Calder
As predicted a fortnight ago, Collingwood has jumped into bed with the Rumbalara Football Club (below).

Collingwood, Rumbalara strike deal

By Richard Goodbody
August 18 2005

Shepparton News
Collingwood Football Club - arguably the most powerful sporting club in Australia - has strengthened its ties with Rumbalara by signing an estimated $500 000, five-year deal.
In a tripartisan arrangement between the two clubs and the Pratt Foundation, the long-term security of Rumbalara looks set in stone after the ground-breaking announcement yesterday.
"It's wonderful news," Rumbalara chief executive Carol Smith said.
"Not just for Rumbalara, but for Shepparton as a whole.
"Opportunities like this do not come around every day."
While the exact details of the arrangement remain cloudy, Smith did confirm the Magpies would be assisting Rumbalara through coaching, monetary and mentoring means.
"There will be a lot of ways in which they will be providing help for the club," she said.
"We will have access to their players for coaching clinics, for advice and for a host of other activities.
"It's exciting."
The relationship between Collingwood and Rumbalara was forged in November when the Magpies selected Chris Egan with their first pick in the National Draft.
Egan has since represented Collingwood on 12 occasions after making a memorable debut in round eight against Richmond.
Yesterday Magpies president and football heavyweight Eddie McGuire said the announcement was exciting for all involved.
"We welcome Rumbalara Football and Netball Club as a sister club," McGuire said.
"Our club has a long history of social responsibility and commitment to the community - it is a vital part of our culture.
"We are proud of our position as the biggest sporting club in Australia, but we are just as proud of our position as the biggest philanthropic sporting club in the country."
It is believed Rumbalara's commitment not just to sport, but to community life, was the clincher in striking the deal.
"Rumbalara is making a real difference in the indigenous community around Shepparton," McGuire said.
"It has become a flagship for other clubs around Australia through its community health, education and job creation programs."

You think this amount of cash would give them a handy platform to launch into their GV campaign.

Travvy43 said:
You think this amount of cash would give them a handy platform to launch into their GV campaign.

You can't just buy success you must build up to it or at least earn it!!! It's not as if Rumbalara has totally dominated the CGFL recently, so how can they keep this whole GV crap going. Fair enough if say they've won 3-4 flags on the trot and are miles ahead of the rest, but they are merely just a good District level side, nothing more.

Guys if they did make it into the gvfl do you think there might be a swinging door between rumba in the winter and st mary's[darwin] in the summer

Doona2 said:
You can't just buy success you must build up to it or at least earn it!!! It's not as if Rumbalara has totally dominated the CGFL recently, so how can they keep this whole GV crap going. Fair enough if say they've won 3-4 flags on the trot and are miles ahead of the rest, but they are merely just a good District level side, nothing more.

Doona i just stated that it will give them a "handy platform" to enter into the GV, or murray league. If they keep the side they have now (with the budget they are on) and add another $100k a year to that budget, you cannot tell me that they wont be a "handy" side.

I know there is a big step in between leagues, i mean there is a big step in the GV from first place to 6th place (Euroa smacking ky ont he weekend was an example of this).

I have not seen rumba play, but a side that has that sort of financial backing, and from what i hear the president is a pretty clever man, they should be able to be a compettive side in the GV, probably more so than Tongala.

Travvy43 said:
Doona i just stated that it will give them a "handy platform" to enter into the GV, or murray league. If they keep the side they have now (with the budget they are on) and add another $100k a year to that budget, you cannot tell me that they wont be a "handy" side.

I know there is a big step in between leagues, i mean there is a big step in the GV from first place to 6th place (Euroa smacking ky ont he weekend was an example of this).

I have not seen rumba play, but a side that has that sort of financial backing, and from what i hear the president is a pretty clever man, they should be able to be a compettive side in the GV, probably more so than Tongala.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a clause in the deal that stipulates the money isn't to be spent on buying players.

Rather, the money will go into junior development, the quality ASHE program, facility upgrades etc...

They will play GV footy one-day...would the Shepp Swans, who have a lengthy link with the indigenous community, entertain a merger with Rumba?

The VCFL has sent them off to the Murray League, making it a 12 team competition (as they were a few years ago, before Berrigan joined the Picola League), they should do reasonably well there, wether they will appeal this ruling is another matter, Rumba should be pleased that they have been given a chance to go up a notch because the MFL is a major league and success there will help the club lanch itself into the GVFL.

Personally, Rumbalara wouldn't be a bad admission into the GVFL at all, not only because of the great positive publicity that the league will get by admitting an indigenous sporting and community body into one of the strongest leagues in Victoria, but because Rumbalara wouldn't take long to find thier feet and would be a damn side more competitive than Tongala are at the moment, overall it would only be a good thing.

Wayde Petersen said:
The VCFL has sent them off to the Murray League, making it a 12 team competition (as they were a few years ago, before Berrigan joined the Picola League), they should do reasonably well there, wether they will appeal this ruling is another matter, Rumba should be pleased that they have been given a chance to go up a notch because the MFL is a major league and success there will help the club lanch itself into the GVFL.

Personally, Rumbalara wouldn't be a bad admission into the GVFL at all, not only because of the great positive publicity that the league will get by admitting an indigenous sporting and community body into one of the strongest leagues in Victoria, but because Rumbalara wouldn't take long to find thier feet and would be a damn side more competitive than Tongala are at the moment, overall it would only be a good thing.

Mate any club with an injection of $500,000 would see them more than capable at any country football level. Whether it be Eddie McGuire, Christine Nixon (No 1 ticket holder) or whoever else they want on their bandwagon - it wont help them one bit. You can't buy a successful club, you build one!!!

Rumbalara's move to MFL not sealed
Shepp News - September 13 2005

Rumbalara's inception into the Murray Football League might not be a fait accompli.
Earlier this month, the Victorian Country Football League announced that the one stepping stone which might prevent Rumbalara from joining the MFL, the lodgement of an official application, had officially been dumped.
"We've removed that step in light of the extensive review done by the sub-committee," VCFL chief executive officer Glenn Scott said.
"There's no point clubs going through that process.
"They (CGFL clubs) can still apply to join a different league to the one allocated under the changes, but if they don't, then they'll be automatically absorbed into their new competitions."
Yesterday, however, MFL general manager Wayne Burrows refused to quash rumours that his executive was planning to appeal the VCFL's decision to admit Rumbalara into its league.
"I don't have a comment at the moment," Burrows said.
"There's still a few things which need to be worked out."
Next week Burrows and a number of the MFL's executive are planning to travel to Melbourne in order to meet with the VCFL and discuss its recent decision.
They will also sit down with Rumbalara in a separate meeting which has been organised between the two bodies.
"It's to early to say anything," Burrows said.

Rumbalara content to settle in Murray
Shepparton News - September 13 2005

Rumbalara will not use Tongala's pending exit from the Goulburn Valley Football League to press its claims for inclusion into the region's premier competition.
Rumbalara president Paul Briggs said yesterday while the club's long-term goal was to eventually join the powerful GVFL, its immediate future lay in the Murray Football League.
"We've agreed with the VCFL (Victorian Country Football League) with the pathway Rumbalara will take next year and that's the Murray league," Briggs said.
"We're looking forward to the challenge of competing in the Murray league.
"At this stage we won't be looking to join the Goulburn Valley league."
Rumbalara will be adopted into the MFL following the disbandment of the Central Goulburn Football League.
The MFL is also expected to welcome Tongala next season, lifting its affiliate clubs from 11 to 13.
The Blues voted to sever ties with the GVFL last week and will pursue a clearance to the Murray league.
Many football insiders thought Rumbalara would look to fast track its inclusion into the GVFL through the hole left by Tongala.
However, Briggs yesterday ruled out the move.
"Our aim is to build a successful GVFL team, but first we want to benchmark ourselves against the Murray league, which is a very good competition," he said.
Briggs said Rumbalara was keen to retain Alan Thorpe as senior coach for the 2006 season.
"We're extremely happy with the role Alan has played in developing the side and we'll sit down with him at some stage this week to talk about next season," Briggs said.
"We've got a great side together and we'll look to retain everyone and recruit a couple of key players for next year."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back