Collingwood board meltdown gameday thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The irony is that the more Eddie and his cronies try to * with maintaining the status quo, the worse off they'll be in the long run. I don't even think they realise that they're ******* up their club by not permitting a peaceful transfer of power to a new board that isn't rotten to the core.

Members may turn on Pies board over Eddie’s exit

AFL legend Leigh Matthews’ “gut feeling” is that Collingwood members may turn on the current board over their treatment of departed president Eddie McGuire in any vote to settle the civil war which has engulfed the Magpies off the field.

“Collingwood is such a powerful club at the moment and it’s all off the back of [what] McGuire has done over the last 20 years.

“It’s been reported most of the current board, and in the end, largely turned [on] him. That will be enough for me, with my gut feeling, to vote the current board out.

“I just wonder if that elephant in the room [for Collingwood voters] is how the current board had treated the long-time president, who has actually just done such a fantastic job of taking Collingwood into where they are currently.”

“I wouldn’t be voting, per se, for Jeff Browne’s ticket but I might vote the current board out as I don’t like what happened to Eddie.”

The irony is that the more Eddie and his cronies try to fu** with maintaining the status quo, the worse off they'll be in the long run. I don't even think they realise that they're ******* up their club by not permitting a peaceful transfer of power to a new board that isn't rotten to the core.
For some people, while it's all about the club externally, internally it's all about themselves.

AFL legend Leigh Matthews’ “gut feeling” is that Collingwood members may turn on the current board over their treatment of departed president Eddie McGuire in any vote to settle the civil war which has engulfed the Magpies off the field.

“Collingwood is such a powerful club at the moment and it’s all off the back of [what] McGuire has done over the last 20 years.

“It’s been reported most of the current board, and in the end, largely turned [on] him. That will be enough for me, with my gut feeling, to vote the current board out.

“I just wonder if that elephant in the room [for Collingwood voters] is how the current board had treated the long-time president, who has actually just done such a fantastic job of taking Collingwood into where they are currently.”

“I wouldn’t be voting, per se, for Jeff Browne’s ticket but I might vote the current board out as I don’t like what happened to Eddie.”

They are going to get rid of the board cause Eddie stuffed up and resigned?

Is Leigh serious?

Apart from a small minority, I don't think the current board being removed will be due to the circumstances of McGuire's departure.

Is Leigh serious?

Apart from a small minority, I don't think the current board being removed will be due to the circumstances of McGuire's departure.

I agree with Matthews, he was treated shabbily. Not sure BF is as representative of the rank and file as it once was.

I agree with Matthews, he was treated shabbily. Not sure BF is as representative of the rank and file as it once was.
I disliked the manner of departure, but I wouldn't throw the board out because of it either.

There's other reasons why some Collingwood members want an EGM and an ousting of the current board. The circumstances of McGuire's departure isn't high on that list.

I disliked the manner of departure, but I wouldn't throw the board out because of it either.

There's other reasons why some Collingwood members want an EGM and an ousting of the current board. The circumstances of McGuire's departure isn't high on that list.

You'd know better than me, and the club got railroaded into it to a degree, but I thought it demonstrated a lack of principle among the incumbents.

AFL legend Leigh Matthews’ “gut feeling” is that Collingwood members may turn on the current board.

“I just wonder if that elephant in the room [for Collingwood voters] is how the current board had treated the long-time president, who has actually just done such a fantastic job of taking Collingwood into where they are currently.

Says it all really.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually have watched all of the Collingwood games in the past 4 weeks. Who are the really really good kids?

We have different perspectives. You watch Collingwood out of spite, and barrack down the youth coming through, whereas I have enjoyed and loved the youth and what they have showed the past four weeks.

I've got no more time for you, I've noticed a common theme in threads relating to Collingwood, note, I don't converse with you in Geelong threads. What am I even doing talking about Collingwood with you. Anyways I try and keep my interactions with basement dwellars as brief as possible. See ya!

We have different perspectives. You watch Collingwood out of spite, and barrack down the youth coming through, whereas I have enjoyed and loved the youth and what they have showed the past four weeks.

I've got no more time for you, I've noticed a common theme in threads relating to Collingwood, note, I don't converse with you in Geelong threads. What am I even doing talking about Collingwood with you. Anyways I try and keep my interactions with basement dwellars as brief as possible. See ya!

I just asked you a question, if you want to crack the sads about it no worries.

Actually have watched all of the Collingwood games in the past 4 weeks. Who are the really really good kids?
The newest ones that have shown some really, really good qualities at senior level are:

Caleb Poulter - 18 year old who has made that wing his own in recent weeks. 22 possessions, 12 marks and a goal against Port Adelaide and 20 possessions, 10 marks and a very important goal against Adelaide.

Beau McCreery - 20 year old who’s played 7 games this season for 10 goals. Has missed the last couple due to injury, but was leading the competition for tackles inside 50 prior. Still #2 despite playing 5 less games than those around him.

EAE4A8D0-8992-4956-8044-9526D9FEA06A.jpeg

Trent Bianco - 20 year old who played just his second game last week. This guy is probably the most exciting of the lot thus far. Has shown some irresistible skills in his two games so far. I actually see a little bit of Pendles in him. The way he is so composed, and always picks the right option (His pass to JDG inside 50 for his goal against Crows was absolutely elite - kicked it into space and forced JDG to lead to that space and mark). I also recall him getting 3 holding the ball frees, one of which against Tex. Not bad for a 75 kg second gamer against a 100+ kg KPF. Played his role as a HF superbly. He also had 9 possessions in his first quarter/debut quarter against the Cats last week as a midfielder. As you can tell, very excited by this one.

Jay Rantall - Another debutant this season. Joined the Pies after being drafted in the 2019 AFL draft on a Thursday. Rocks up to an AFL club on Monday and wins the 2 KM time trial. Absolutely elite runner and has shown bits and pieces, but one that is a long term prospect that has excited plenty of supporters. Has also broken records as an endurance runner.

2EEA4263-80A1-47FA-B5C6-49DF57D1320C.jpeg

Ollie Henry - Another 18 year old who debuted earlier in the season, and younger brother of one of yours. Huge raps on him, and our first picked in the last National draft.

Fin Macrae - 19 year old debutant who knows how to find the footy. Very similar to his brother at the Doggies, and will be getting high possession numbers like him when he gets more used to the AFL system.

The others 22 years and younger that you would’ve seen enough of are Josh Daicos, Nathan Murphy and Isaac Quaynor are three who have cemented a senior spot and will be 10+ year players.

The other one I’m personally looking forward to getting more senior time into is Will Kelly (Ned’s son). 20 year old 195 cm, 90 kg KPF/D. He’s the one who had 5 possessions, a mark and goal against the Hawks in the first quarter on debut last year before breaking his collarbone either late in the first, or early in the second.

There’s a few quality youngsters coming through, so the next coach does have some gems he will need to continue developing.

Last edited:
The newest ones that have shown some really, really good qualities at senior level are:

Caleb Poulter - 18 year old who has made that wing his own in recent weeks. 22 possessions, 12 marks and a goal against Port Adelaide and 20 possessions, 10 marks and a very important goal against Adelaide.

Beau McCreery - 20 year old who’s played 7 games this season for 10 goals. Has missed the last couple due to injury, but was leading the competition for tackles inside 50 prior. Still #2 despite playing 5 less games than those around him.

View attachment 1152802

Trent Bianco - 20 year old who played just his second game last week. This guy is probably the most exciting of the lot thus far. Has shown some irresistible skills in his two games so far. I actually see a little bit of Pendles in him. The way he is so composed, and always picks the right option (His pass to JDG inside 50 for his goal against Crows was absolutely elite - kicked it into space and forced JDG to lead to that space and mark). I also recall him getting 3 holding the ball frees, one of which against Tex. Not bad for a 75 kg second gamer against a 100+ kg KPF. Played his role as a HF superbly. He also had 9 possessions in his first quarter/debut quarter against the Cats last week as a midfielder. As you can tell, very excited by this one.

Jay Rantall - Another debutant this season. Joined the Pies after being drafted in the 2019 AFL draft on a Thursday. Rocks up to an AFL club on Monday and wins the 2 KM time trial. Absolutely elite runner and has shown bits and pieces, but one that is a long term prospect that has excited plenty of supporters. Has also broken records as an endurance runner.

View attachment 1152817

Ollie Henry - Another 18 year old who debuted earlier in the season, and younger brother of one of yours. Huge raps on him, and our first picked in the last National draft.

Fin Macrae - 19 year old debutant who knows how to find the footy. Very similar to his brother at the Doggies, and will be getting high possession numbers like him when he gets more used to the AFL system.

The others 22 years and younger that you would’ve seen enough of are Josh Daicos, Nathan Murphy and Isaac Quaynor are three who have cemented a senior spot and will be 10+ year players.

The other one I’m personally looking forward to getting more senior time into is Will Kelly (Ned’s son). 20 year old 195 cm, 90 kg KPF/D. He’s the one who had 5 possessions, a mark and goal against the Hawks in the first quarter on debut last year before breaking his collarbone either late in the first, or early in the second.

There’s a few quality youngsters coming through, so the next coach does have some gems he will need to continue developing.

Thanks for the detailed post mate. My 2C:

Bianco has impressed me the most, agree he is the most exciting prospect so far.

Poulter looks like an AFL quality player - not sure the current game style suits him but obvs that is going to change.

Not sold on McCreery, he works hard etc but not sure he has enough attributes to be above average.

Daicos is a good player already, Quaynor is handy.

It's early days but the others have not stood out to me, although hard to look good when the team is not going well.

View attachment 1152802

View attachment 1152817

Then why were Levi and Mayne getting games? So frustrating.

Then why were Levi and Mayne getting games? So frustrating.
Because sometimes you need experienced, hardened bodies around the kids too. Mayne’s output has regressed this year but is still averaging 23 possessions @ 93% DE out of the backline, which suited Buckley’s defensive, methodical, possession style game plan. Greenwood is depth, and has only played 2 games anyway.

Because sometimes you need experienced, hardened bodies around the kids too. Mayne’s output has regressed this year but is still averaging 23 possessions @ 93% DE out of the backline, which suited Buckley’s defensive, methodical, possession style game plan. Greenwood is depth, and has only played 2 games anyway.
Yeah quite amazing now looking back that Mayne outlasted Buckley at the club, for a bloke Buckley said he didn't want, Mayne has been particularly good in finals for the Pies imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back