Collingwood board meltdown gameday thread

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
This is precisely the issue.

McGuire set up the club so that it was a King, a bishop and 5 pawns. Plus a tonne of proxy votes from sponsors to use as they feel.

The king had/has carte blanche to do whatever they like, such as installing a mate as coach despite them not interviewing for the role and not having coaching experience. Then gives them a decade as coach, despite having gone backwards on the ladder for 9 out of 10 seasons. And lets the coach choose his best mates as assistants. Then also overrates and overpays players on the list resulting in a salary cap crisis. And then nobody is every held to account for any decision or non-decision.

This system was always going to be anti-evolutionary long term. The strange thing is that based on McGuire's comments on Footy Classified yesterday that he doesn't understand at all that his legacy is actually the problem...
I half wonder if ed the powerbroker and man about town didnt think that he had the inside line on how much the salary cap increase was going to be - signed players based on that and *bang* covid puts the brakes on and collingwood are caught with their pants down.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
I half wonder if ed the powerbroker and man about town didnt think that he had the inside line on how much the salary cap increase was going to be - signed players based on that and *bang* covid puts the brakes on and collingwood are caught with their pants down.
I think Eddie himself had said something along those lines. I don’t know what changes COVID has had on staffing levels/salary caps but fairly certain all clubs (even businesses) would have forecasters and base decisions on projections etc. COVID ain’t an excuse, but it did catch a lot of people with their ‘pants down’.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
I think Eddie himself had said something along those lines. I don’t know what changes COVID has had on staffing levels/salary caps but fairly certain all clubs (even businesses) would have forecasters and base decisions on projections etc. COVID ain’t an excuse, but it did catch a lot of people with their ‘pants down’.
I read somewhere Ed believed he was promised Beams situation would be looked on sympathetically so his $$ would be outside the salary cap. But then the AFL changed its mind.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Who got caught, aside from Collingwood?

I read somewhere Ed believed he was promised Beams situation would be looked on sympathetically so his $$ would be outside the salary cap. But then the AFL changed its mind.

And why should the Beams payments be outside the Cap? Time some direct questions were asked of the AFL, Beams and the Pies.

Beams is adamant the payments are outside.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Who got caught, aside from Collingwood?
It impacted every club. I wasn’t insinuating other AFL clubs were caught out cheating the cap or anything. I was referring to heaps of businesses that were impacted by COVID, it happened out of the blue and like all business, salaries/contracts were planned out prior/projections made that the cap would increase, not decrease.

Caps got reduced by 9%, $1.4m, for 2021. Pies had stuffed up with backdating a few contracts, so had to publicly cut their losses with the likes of Treloar and Phillips out of the top 22.

Collingwood has been reported to Australia’s corporate watchdog in an escalation of the club’s boardroom stoush.

Lawyers for a group of Magpies members seeking to force an extraordinary general meeting at the Holden Centre have lodged a formal complaint with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Could be the last opportunity for members to influence an AFL club in this way. It’s something of an anachronism from the days when the clubs were non-profits. Collingwood will be sure to truncate member influence via legislation, and perhaps any other clubs where it’s still possible will follow suit.

Back