Opinion Collingwood Board Nominee Chris Macdonald talkback.

Remove this Banner Ad

Great interview C Macdonald !

Riffing on your comments about having a unified membership option between AFL / AFLW / SNL, maybe this is something that could begin with interstate members? Unlike Melbourne metro members, the interstaters typically get to see the AFL team play live once (or if they’re lucky twice) a season. Having their membership get them into AFLW / SNL as well might encourage them to go along and check it out?

(I once went to a Magpies SNL game here in Sydney, and whilst I’m hardly a convert and certainly don’t fit the normal demographic of someone who goes to a SNL game, for me it was easily in the top 10 of sporting events I’ve been to in my life for atmosphere and excitement)

Great interview C Macdonald !

Riffing on your comments about having a unified membership option between AFL / AFLW / SNL, maybe this is something that could begin with interstate members? Unlike Melbourne metro members, the interstaters typically get to see the AFL team play live once (or if they’re lucky twice) a season. Having their membership get them into AFLW / SNL as well might encourage them to go along and check it out?

(I once went to a Magpies SNL game here in Sydney, and whilst I’m hardly a convert and certainly don’t fit the normal demographic of someone who goes to a SNL game, for me it was easily in the top 10 of sporting events I’ve been to in my life for atmosphere and excitement)

I agree that an interstate membership should get a member into anything related to their team in the member's home state.... it would probably have to be something the AFL arranges because the club has no rights to tickets away from home. There needs to be some arrangements worked out so that collingwood provides tickets to members of interstate clubs when they are in melbourne. The whole thing would be complicated and I'm sure all the clubs involved couldnt be stuffed with the complexity and having to hand over tickets to the visiting club. The current situation of including tickets to MCG games to interstate memberships sounds good on paper, but how many interstate pie members would get to 5 games in melb? The other thing is that cost of flights and accommodation is the main consideration. How many interstate pie fans are going to buy a membership because of the "cheap" access to MCG tickets? The only exception is the ANZAC game and I bought this membership in 2020 to get access to a ticket to the game.

I agree that an interstate membership should get a member into anything related to their team in the member's home state.... it would probably have to be something the AFL arranges because the club has no rights to tickets away from home.

Maybe that’s a WA thing?

I always get access to a free ticket as part of my NSW membership. At CFC games here in Sydney there is a CFC members area of the ground organised by the club. If Collingwood play in Sydney twice a season, then I can get a ticket to the second game at price (the difference between buying it through the club and buying through the Ticketek is that the club gives me a seat with the CFC members).

Throughout COVID the club / AFL gave away extra free tickets to CFC members for games that got rescheduled to be played here in Sydney (eg: Hawks game 2020, Queens Birthday 2021).

Something else that needs to change IMO is guest passes at interstate games. I often want to go and enjoy the footy with my mates (as many folks do) and so I want to be able to buy extra tickets so I can sit with them. I get that CFC want to keep members areas for members only. So why not seat members who want to buy guest passes in a non-members area? This is all the more relevant in the northern states where footy is not ubiquitous. Plenty of times I’ve done my civic duty and introduced new immigrants and NSW folks to the glorious Collingwood Football Club. Shouldn’t the club make it easy for me to do that?

Maybe that’s a WA thing?

I always get access to a free ticket as part of my NSW membership. At CFC games here in Sydney there is a CFC members area of the ground organised by the club. If Collingwood play in Sydney twice a season, then I can get a ticket to the second game at price (the difference between buying it through the club and buying through the Ticketek is that the club gives me a seat with the CFC members).

Throughout COVID the club / AFL gave away extra free tickets to CFC members for games that got rescheduled to be played here in Sydney (eg: Hawks game 2020, Queens Birthday 2021).

Something else that needs to change IMO is guest passes at interstate games. I often want to go and enjoy the footy with my mates (as many folks do) and so I want to be able to buy extra tickets so I can sit with them. I get that CFC want to keep members areas for members only. So why not seat members who want to buy guest passes in a non-members area? This is all the more relevant in the northern states where footy is not ubiquitous. Plenty of times I’ve done my civic duty and introduced new immigrants and NSW folks to the glorious Collingwood Football Club. Shouldn’t the club make it easy for me to do that?

it's also got to do with your standing in the harbour city....and your connections with the sydney underworld

Remove this Banner Ad

Back