Opinion Collingwood Board Nominee Chris Macdonald talkback.

Remove this Banner Ad

I have invited as many of the board nominees as I can contact to contribute personally and directly to the Board Elections discussion.

Chris Macdonald has also agreed to join this thread to put his case and to answer any questions.

I trust you will show the correct amount of decorum.

Last edited:

Hi Chris, Welcome.

Question for you:

I was looking through the bios today and noted that you’re exactly the same age as Ed was when he was campaigning to be on the board (Age 33). Ed’s vision for the club back then obviously led to a lot of change (Moving from Vic Park to what was to become the Lexus Centre with a co-tenancy deal with Vic Sport to get them to subsidise the costs, the moving on of our Senior Coach (Tony Shaw) and getting in Mick Malthouse, I think the Emirates and Lexus sponsorships might have been around then, the club building up on-field, repairing financial position, etc, etc).

Obviously Ed was leading a ticket to be President to take over the board, and you’re campaigning to serve as an independent board member, but nevertheless, if you are elected, what is your vision for Collingwood?

Last edited:
Hi Chris

1. What attributes and strengths do you think you'd bring as a board member?
2. Do you have any particular changes you would be seeking to make to the constitution?
3. As an outsider looking in, what are your observations about the current Collingwood Football Club operations and governance? How do you think we need to improve?
4. How would you measure the success of the Collingwood Football Club?

Hi, thanks for the welcome, glad to be a part of this forum.

You’ve certainly made me feel special being compared with the great man! What he managed to do for the club from the beginning was amazing and I certainly look up to him as a role model. While might not be within the club anymore the legacy he left is one to hold onto, embrace and adjust into the future. On that note I don’t believe we need epic transformational change, more bringing things back to ‘how’ things are gone about. I’d love to be part of a team that is more transparent, keeps members better informed and included with key decisions where possible. I would love the Collingwood Football Club to be in the number one position again for paid up members (work to be done in that area), as we’ve seen with Richmond much of this is through on-field success, so the winning culture is extremely important but as is the depth of what and how things are done off the field. I’d like to think we’ve been through the big part of change over the last 12 months so let’s move forward to embrace the future.

If there are particular agenda items you are interested in let me know.

Cheers

Chris
Hi Chris, Welcome.

Question for you:

I was looking through the bios today and noted that you’re exactly the same age as Ed was when he was campaigning to be on the board (Age 33). Ed’s vision for the club back then obviously led to a lot of change (Moving from Vic Park to what was to become the Lexus Centre with a co-tenancy deal with Vic Sport to get them to subsidise the costs, the moving on of our Senior Coach (Tony Shaw) and getting in Mick Malthouse, I think the Emirates and Lexus sponsorships might have been around then, the club building up on-field, repairing financial position, etc, etc).

Obviously Ed was leading a ticket to be President to take over the board, and you’re campaigning to serve as an independent board member, but nevertheless, if you are elected, what is your vision for Collingwood?

Last edited:
the welcome, glad to be a part of this forum.

You’ve certainly made me feel special being compared with the great man! What he managed to do for the club from the beginning was amazing and I certainly look up to him as a role model. While might not be within the club anymore the legacy he left is one to hold onto, embrace and adjust into the future. On that note I don’t believe we need epic transformational change, more bringing things back to ‘how’ things are gone about. I’d love to be part of a team that is more transparent, keeps members better informed and included with key decisions where possible. I would love the Collingwood Football Club to be in the number one position again for paid up members (work to be done in that area), as we’ve seen with Richmond much of this is through on-field success, so the winning culture is extremely important but as is the depth of what and how things are done off
Hi Chris

2. Do you have any particular changes you would be seeking to make to the constitution?
3. As an outsider looking in, what are your observations about the current Collingwood Football Club operations and governance? How do you think we need to improve?

Hi, thanks for the questions, some answers below for your review.

Cheers

Chris

My strongest attributes I believe are listening and then planning the ‘how’ we go to achieve what we set ourselves as a club. I’m a relatively calm person (ok...being a the G with a packed crowd can get me going!) but would like to think I could be a voice of reason on the board. I want to understand what members want and collaborate what is fair and reasonable and what is best for the club. I’d like to get feedback, research issues and make a call on important items and ensure the process is as transparent and ethical as it possibly can be.

Very good question, I think the biggest change I can see as likely is opening the cap to ‘ordinary’ members. Honestly, I had no idea initially both the candidate pool and voting pool was this small for a club of our size. The open question here is how far would this go? As a Legends member of nearly 10 years and a club member of nearly 20 I like that our opinions are on paper at least highly regarded. I’d like to see at least dedicated season ticket members included but interested in thoughts of other members on this one before making a call.

My biggest thing is transparency and holding our ethics and values of the club in a positive light. The Do Better Report is a good example where it notes many items were kept in house, some actions may have been taken but as members we probably don’t know all of them. Being one of if not the biggest sporting club in the country is a major responsibility. With this care needs to be taken and an inclusive approach to not only our members but also the greater community in which we operate. I think we need to focus on a culture aspect to push further forward both inside and out being an item of improvement required.

While wining premierships are the ultimate measure of success, I feel respect is too. I’d love to see the club respected both on and off the field as a passionate fan for having players to do the best possibly can and that we are a popular club for the right reasons: having a happy supporter base, satisfied sponsors and sustainable and growing bottom line.

Last edited:
You’ve certainly made me feel special being compared with Eddie! What he managed to do for the club from the beginning was amazing and I certainly look up to him as a role model. …

When Ed became President of the Collingwood Football Club he was ‘just’ a Channel 10 Sports reporter with drive and a dream. I agree, he’s done amazing things and I agree he’s become role model, but everything he’s done to achieve all that has been since then.

Hi everyone,

Hope you don't mind a question from me! Just wondering if there are any points of focus or change you'd like to see at the club?

Thanks

Chris

Hi everyone,

Hope you don't mind a question from me! Just wondering if there are any points of focus or change you'd like to see at the club?

Thanks

Chris

+ also if you want to run a poll in this thread, just let Pie eyed know (as the thread starter), give him a question and some options and it’ll appear at the top of this thread (A junk example: Question “Do you like the design of the scarf? options: “yes”, “no”). This can be added at any time.

A question for you Chris …

In your bio you mention that you’re working in the Automotive industry. I’d imagine that means you’re working inside some serious quality management systems.

What are your thoughts on QMS’s in general? To my knowledge they haven’t been deployed in the sporting landscape? Do you think they might have a place? (Eg: Collingwood striving to get ISO 9001 certification?) Or do you think it would be a barrier to innovation, agility, and getting stuff done? Do you think the ‘bad’ parts of QMS are just a poorly written QMS and poor QMS change management processes? Or is it the QMS framework itself?

A campaign suggestion …

… not sure if anybody else has noticed, but the outside of the Holden Centre has looked tired and in dire need of a lick of paint for a long long time. I’d imagine if it had a coat paint the building would pop. Nothing fancy or that would risk heritage push-back. Maybe it’ll improve our chances and value of getting a naming rights sponsor (Holden’s sponsorship expired nearly 12 months ago)

Does anybody know if this is part of the current scope of building works?

I’ll share this with all candidates on here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Chris
I’m mainly just hopeful of getting back to the footy next year. Aside from that I’d like to see board term limits implemented and if possible Vic Park utilised more on occasion for example pre/post game functions or training sessions etc.

Last edited:

Very good question, I think the biggest change I can see as likely is opening the cap to ‘ordinary’ members. Honestly, I had no idea initially both the candidate pool and voting pool was this small for a club of our size. The open question here is how far would this go? As a Legends member of nearly 10 years and a club member of nearly 20 I like that our opinions (with regards to voting) are on paper at least highly regarded (but if there hasn’t been an election in recent history then has it really?). I’d like to see at least dedicated season ticket members included but interested in thoughts of other members on this one before making a call.

Chris,

Two other problematic areas of the current constitution.

1. What membership qualification should be required to be a director of the club and have it clearly specified in the rules.
2. What limits should be in place for terms on directorships.

These issues should be discussed at board level and reasons published if they are not adjusted.

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Chris
Hi Chris,

1. Term limits both for the Presidency and Board of Directors. I believe this is a more pressing issue than expanding voting rights.

2. Victoria Park and the role it has to play going forward.
  • Pre-season games?
  • Training there once a week or fortnightly?
  • Continuing to play more AFLW and VFL games there?
Even though Essendon left Windy Hill as its training base and headquarters, they still train there once a week to ensure the spiritual connection between the club and the ground is never broken. I hope Collingwood can do something similar as Victoria Park is synonymous with the club and shouldn't be forgotten.

I for one am not perturbed about limits of presidency or board member tenure. If you've got a great pres or board, I'm not convinced there is a need to cap how long they can serve. That's where voting plays it part. If members are unhappy and are able to vote boards out for under-performance, there are the checks and balances.

Imagine turfing Cook out of Geel after 6 years or even Ed out in 2005. I think it also may inhibit longer term thinking. They may not care what happens in 10 years if they're not there.

I for one am not perturbed about limits of presidency or board member tenure. If you've got a great pres or board, I'm not convinced there is a need to cap how long they can serve. That's where voting plays it part. If members are unhappy and are able to vote boards out for under-performance, there are the checks and balances.

Imagine turfing Cook out of Geel after 6 years or even Ed out in 2005. I think it also may inhibit longer term thinking. They may not care what happens in 10 years if they're not there.

Certainly a good point, I think if there is a good candidate in the right position and members are satisfied then yes they should stay.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

A campaign suggestion …

… not sure if anybody else has noticed, but the outside of the Holden Centre has looked tired and in dire need of a lick of paint for a long long time. I’d imagine if it had a coat paint the building would pop. Nothing fancy or that would risk heritage push-back. Maybe it’ll improve our chances and value of getting a naming rights sponsor (Holden’s sponsorship expired nearly 12 months ago)

Does anybody know if this is part of the current scope of building works?

I’ll share this with all candidates on here.

I’m not sure on the T&Cs of the Holden sponsorship but would be interesting to find out. I remember having my 21st there over a decade ago and while low key then it was a great place to feel like you’re within the club, plus many event and member opportunities there too!

A question for you Chris …

In your bio you mention that you’re working in the Automotive industry. I’d imagine that means you’re working inside some serious quality management systems.

What are your thoughts on QMS’s in general? To my knowledge they haven’t been deployed in the sporting landscape? Do you think they might have a place? (Eg: Collingwood striving to get ISO 9001 certification?) Or do you think it would be a barrier to innovation, agility, and getting stuff done? Do you think the ‘bad’ parts of QMS are just a poorly written QMS and poor QMS change management processes? Or is it the QMS framework itself?

I’m an area manager for Hyundai Australia, so as with pretty much every brand in the country now manufacturing where most of the QSM’s within the business are overseas or in product planning. Honestly I think ISO9001 would be a barrier but reviewing more towards regular TQM approach/way of thinking focusing on continuous improvement would be the way to go. In saying that imagine being one of few clubs in the world to be certified? We can never rule things out.

Hi Chris,

1. Term limits both for the Presidency and Board of Directors. I believe this is a more pressing issue than expanding voting rights.

2. Victoria Park and the role it has to play going forward.
  • Pre-season games?
  • Training there once a week or fortnightly?
  • Continuing to play more AFLW and VFL games there?
Even though Essendon left Windy Hill as its training base and headquarters, they still train there once a week to ensure the spiritual connection between the club and the ground is never broken. I hope Collingwood can do something similar as Victoria Park is synonymous with the club and shouldn't be forgotten.

Victoria Park should certainly be an agenda item. Getting to Princes Park from time to time I’ve seen how that can work, activations for local footy, club training and VFL games and so on. One point I’d be interested on is where should family and kids events be held? Is Victoria Park best for kids taking in our great team or should it be a more modern Olympic Park? Or even more rural VIC activations?

The 2 year terms for presidents and 3 for board members seems silly to me. Make them both the same. Let's face it, if Eddie had to stand down as Prez and could remain on the board for another term of three years, he would have been the non-President president for the final 3.

I believe that term of occupancy limits are being discussed incorrectly here.
What would be much better is for the board/prez face elections every three or four years.
An automatic spill of the presidency and maybe half the board.
This aligns with modern day politics in Australia.
It would encourage contenders to run as they would not have to force a spill.
And taking it to the logical conclusion, members have to return voting forms or suffer a fine (maybe a 25% premium added to their membership) if they don’t vote.
Knowing when you are up for re-election can only be a good thing for the board member and any prospective challengers.

I have invited as many of the board nominees as I can contact to contribute personally and directly to the Board Elections discussion.

Chris Macdonald has also agreed to join this thread to put his case and to answer any questions.

I trust you will show the correct amount of decorum.
Great initiative, any idea if Browne will be joining?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back