Opinion Collingwood Board Nominee Chris Macdonald talkback.

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Good evening Chris, two questions from me.

1) How will you prioritise the many business functions that come under the Collingwood banner ie. AFL, VFL, AFLW, Netball, wheelchair sports, esports ? In my view we have a very broad focus and are stretched for resources.

2) How will the board cover Eddie’s passion and commitment to the club and its objectives. For example, how will you ensure Collingwood colours remain ours, how will you ensure our position at the very top of the AFL food chain both financially and politically?

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
you could argue that the presidency is under question at every board meeting, if a majority of the board want a change. In many ways, it's like the prime ministership in politics. I dont see any advantage in having the members vote for the president at a formal election.

C Macdonald

Draftee
Nov 21, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good evening Chris, two questions from me.

1) How will you prioritise the many business functions that come under the Collingwood banner ie. AFL, VFL, AFLW, Netball, wheelchair sports, esports ? In my view we have a very broad focus and are stretched for resources.

2) How will the board cover Eddie’s passion and commitment to the club and its objectives. For example, how will you ensure Collingwood colours remain ours, how will you ensure our position at the very top of the AFL food chain both financially and politically?

Good evening,

Very good questions, I think they connected to a degree as well. I think in order to be a big club the many business units can be beneficial to depth but as you mention the balance would be with human and financial resources. Without knowing costs I think all units would have to be reviewed on their merits: value to the club, value to members and value to the greater community.

This election has shown me how passionate people are about the club which is great and from so many tangents so that certainly isn’t a problem. Through the board and president I’d be confident there’d be at least a couple of outspoken members to keep us front and centre in the media, after all we are a club many love to hate.

As for the food chain, we need to target for growth in a younger membership base, if you’re anything like most of us here you hopefully won’t want to let it go anytime soon so it’s Collingwood for life.

Growing this membership base (sustainably) should prove resourceful in a greater base for promotion along with a winning culture for happy sponsors and funding into the future.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Good evening,

Very good questions, I think they connected to a degree as well. I think in order to be a big club the many business units can be beneficial to depth but as you mention the balance would be with human and financial resources. Without knowing costs I think all units would have to be reviewed on their merits: value to the club, value to members and value to the greater community.

This election has shown me how passionate people are about the club which is great and from so many tangents so that certainly isn’t a problem. Through the board and president I’d be confident there’d be at least a couple of outspoken members to keep us front and centre in the media, after all we are a club many love to hate.

As for the food chain, we need to target for growth in a younger membership base, if you’re anything like most of us here you hopefully won’t want to let it go anytime soon so it’s Collingwood for life.

Growing this membership base (sustainably) should prove resourceful in a greater base for promotion along with a winning culture for happy sponsors and funding into the future.

Thanks for that. I just never ever ever want to see us give in to the AFL or Port or anybody on the guernsey.

Prioritisation is key for me AFL premierships first.

Good luck to you at the AGM.

… we need to target for growth in a younger membership base, if you’re anything like most of us here you hopefully won’t want to let it go anytime soon so it’s Collingwood for life …

I **love** this quote 👆

IMO, one of the things that challenge Collingwood is how to evolve and change and be competitive into the future, and be an organisation young people want to be a part of, without getting bogged down in its history.

All too often, we hear members and supporters begin a sentence with “I’ve been a supporter of our club for <insert big number> years and a member for <insert slightly smaller number> years …” and we just know that there’s a good chance that what comes next is going to be something cringeworthy.

The future of the club belongs to the young folks. If “Good Ol’ Collingwood“ is going to be “forever”, then it needs to evolve to stay relevant, or it will go the way of the dinosaurs.

A six year old kid has the benefit of choice of who they follow, Collingwood needs to appeal to them. A sixty year member doesn’t have a choice, they’re locked in. And there’s a lot more long term value in that six year old kid.

The older folks do have an important role to play, the club has made many mistakes in its past and it needs to learn from them otherwise the club will be condemned to repeat them. But the older folks need to be wise too, and understand the difference between being custodians of the club and preserving it for future generations, versus yearning for some bygone era that they simply feel sentimental about. For the older folks who see the club change and evolve in a way that alienates them, maybe it’s a sign that they need to change and evolve themselves?

Last edited:

Trickster

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints
The 2 year terms for presidents and 3 for board members seems silly to me. Make them both the same. Let's face it, if Eddie had to stand down as Prez and could remain on the board for another term of three years, he would have been the non-President president for the final 3.
I agree, if you're going to have time limits then have them aligned. But if the board / pres are doing a great job, evolving and adapting with the times, I'm not sure there's a need to compel them to move on. Just have better and more transparent voting policies rather than the boards effectively voting as has been happening across a number of clubs now.

These threads are a great initiative and very much appreciated. The opportunity to hear from some candidates is refreshing, to say the least.

But I think our next President has been hiding in plain sight all along on BigFooty. I vote ‘1’ 76woodenspooners. 😍

But I think our next President has been hiding in plain sight all along on BigFooty. I vote ‘1’ 76woodenspooners. 😍

Thanks VP! 🤗

I have an enormous amount of admiration for Chris here and the other 10 candidates for putting themselves out there, for submitting their ideas and opinions to scrutiny and judgement. For the candidates who do get on our board, then them having to negotiate and horsetrade and work with their peers to get their agenda through … and if they don’t then they’ll be held to account by the members for it. Our club is so much better for having Chris and the others throw their hat into the ring and be a part of this process.

For me, I’m enjoying being part of this process too as a member / supporter contemplating the possibilities for our club’s future. 😀

Last edited:
Thanks VP! 🤗

I have an enormous amount of admiration for Chris here and the other 10 candidates for putting themselves out there, for submitting their ideas and opinions to scrutiny and judgement. For the candidates who do get on our board, then them having to negotiate and horsetrade and work with their peers to get their agenda through … and if they don’t then they’ll be held to account by the members for it. Our club is so much better for having Chris and the others throw their hat into the ring and be a part of this process.

For me, I’m enjoying being part of this process too as a member / supporter contemplating the possibilities of our club’s future. 😀

Agree 100% 76. As I posted, it’s so refreshing but it’s more than that. We have the opportunity to revitalise the CFC Board, to continue to modernise our club, and set us up for the future.

Thoroughly enjoying the questions and responses in this and the other thread.

I’d also like to know the candidates’ views on ensuring greater representation of women on the Board. That includes having a culture at the club which encourages women to nominate, or to nominate in greater numbers than in the past.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I dont think young people respond well to being compared with other members on how long they have supported the club.... how long they have been legend's members etc etc etc. It's a part of being a Pie supporter to tell the world how long you have supported the club. And then there is the discussion about past players and past glories. I dont know any sport that attracts young people if it lives in the past. I read that american baseball is on the wane because it's seen as something from the past. The writers talk about a "nostalgia trap" of focusing on great moments in the past. It doesn't attract the young.....and it doesnt make the young feel welcome unless their old man supported the Pies and they can hitch their support to a family tradition.

The simple answer to so many questions about the club is to simply do things well and win premierships. It doesnt matter how old you are, winning premierships solves a lot of gripes about the colour of the beanies or the position of the sun when you're sitting in the legends stand.

Hi everyone,

Hope you don't mind a question from me! Just wondering if there are any points of focus or change you'd like to see at the club?

Thanks

Chris

Thanks Chris,

A bunch of things from me.

- As Quicky mentioned in the other thread, and many others have mentioned over the journey, it’d be good for the club to work on getting members and supporters all around the country to feel connected to the club. Often we tout ourselves as “the biggest club in Australia”, and the legends members who sit in the Ponsford are very vocal (and rightfully so), but let’s not lose sight of ”the biggest club in Australia” involving a lot more of Australia than just the metro Melbourne folks who can get to the MCG. The club do seem to do a bit in this area - they seem to now have an annual ritual of a pre-season game in Gippsland. The AFLW team play an away game in Perth every season (but have never come here to Sydney). The Swans game here in Sydney is an annual ritual. During Covid times the club was brilliant with giving out tickets to us interstate members when games were moved here. My take as an interstate supporter - the club do OK, but they‘re not very creative and they could benefit by having some perspective that’s outside of metro Melbourne.

- I think Markfs made a great point about appealing to young folks and the nostalgia gap. I’m seconding that. The club needs to be always mindful of how it appeals to new supporters and members. These things can fall off quickly and if they do it can be hard to get back.

- Somewhere you alluded to how you see that there is more to Collingwood than just winning games of footy. I agree 100%! Obviously us fans like seeing our teams winning games of footy. But there are 17 other teams also trying to do that. How are we different to the other 17 teams? Yeah, we can wish hard, cheer loud, and be passionate all we like. But let’s be realistic, the other 17 teams do all that too. What makes Collingwood different? What is it that makes us Collingwood? The philanthropic work is a part of that (small part IMO). The work on the Do Better report is maybe looking at some things in that space … but again I’d be curious what bits of that are we doing that makes us different to other clubs? (I’m conscious that some fans think we should focus purely on winning games of footy, but IMO that would simply make us a hollow shell of a club, and I don’t see how it would make us any better onfield)

- The admin stuff, structure of the club, function of the board, management structure are all things that are not widely understood. That’s been painfully visible over the last 18 months with some things not going well at the club (2020 trade period, Do Better report, filling of casual vacancies in line with Article 50(c) of the constitution) and many people not understanding which roles are responsible for things. I think part of there being greater visibility into the club, is providing more info to members about how the club is run what the structure is. Something I suggested a while ago is set up a shadow board of young folks (eg: 18 - 25 yo). Imagine when you were doing your undergrad in business, if Collingwood had yourself and six other young business minded people, who would meet once a month, put together an agenda, keep minutes, go over topics du jour that affect the strategy and governance of the club - basically all the stuff you’re including here. Each of you would get access to a CFC board member for an hour or so every 3 months as a mentor. The youth board would send a one page summary to the board every month, and a presentation at the end of the year. Do a CFC media feature about it. Do a CFC media features about how the club runs behind the scenes - and not just the football department.

Last edited:

C Macdonald

Draftee
Nov 21, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks Chris,

A bunch of things from me.

- As Quicky mentioned in the other thread, and many others have mentioned over the journey, it’d be good for the club to work on getting members and supporters all around the country to feel connected to the club. Often we tout ourselves as “the biggest club in Australia”, and the legends members who sit in the Ponsford are very vocal (and rightfully so), but let’s not lose sight of ”the biggest club in Australia” involving a lot more of Australia than just the metro Melbourne folks who can get to the MCG. The club do seem to do a bit in this area - they seem to now have an annual ritual of a pre-season game in Gippsland. The AFLW team play an away game in Perth every season (but have never come here to Sydney). The Swans game here in Sydney is an annual ritual. During Covid times the club was brilliant with giving out tickets to us interstate members when games were moved here. My take as an interstate supporter - the club do OK, but they‘re not very creative and they could benefit by having some perspective that’s outside of metro Melbourne.

- I think Markfs made a great point about appealing to young folks and the nostalgia gap. I’m seconding that. The club needs to be always mindful of how it appeals to new supporters and members. These things can fall off quickly and if they do it can be hard to get back.

- Somewhere you alluded to how you see that there is more to Collingwood than just winning games of footy. I agree 100%! Obviously us fans like seeing our teams winning games of footy. But there are 17 other teams also trying to do that. How are we different to the other 17 teams? Yeah, we can wish hard, cheer loud, and be passionate all we like. But let’s be realistic, the other 17 teams do all that too. What makes Collingwood different? What is it that makes us Collingwood? The philanthropic work is a part of that (small part IMO). The work on the Do Better report is maybe looking at some things in that space … but again I’d be curious what bits of that are we doing that makes us different to other clubs? (I’m conscious that some fans think we should focus purely on winning games of footy, but IMO that would simply make us a hollow shell of a club, and I don’t see how it would make us any better onfield)

- The admin stuff, structure of the club, function of the board, management structure are all things that are not widely understood. That’s been painfully visible over the last 18 months with some things not going well at the club (2020 trade period, Do Better report, filling of casual vacancies in line with Article 50(c) of the constitution) and many people not understanding which roles are responsible for things. I think part of there being greater visibility into the club, is providing more info to members about how the club is run what the structure is. Something I suggested a while ago is set up a shadow board of young folks (eg: 18 - 25 yo). Imagine when you were doing your undergrad in business, if Collingwood had yourself and six other young business minded people, who would meet once a month, put together an agenda, keep minutes, go over topics du jour that affect the strategy and governance of the club - basically all the stuff you’re including here. Each of you would get access to a CFC board member for an hour or so every 3 months as a mentor. The youth board would send a one page summary to the board every month, and a presentation at the end of the year. Do a CFC media feature about it. Do a CFC media features about how the club runs behind the scenes - and not just the football department.

All excellent points 76 and all of the other contributions!

-You are right on the biggest club and while we are a Melbourne team we have supporters everywhere so certainly an opportunity exists both in rural VIC, I’d love to see more activations around the state and interstate too, for a longer shot overseas.

- I like the scope we’re gaining here with younger members, I think we need to explore this firstly through a database review then focus on our target market about why they should be a pies member. This might be more ties with schools, universities, people that haven’t grown up with an AFL culture or even sport in general (believe it or not)!

- For me being a different club is the culture and respect for the club in the greater community. To project a voice for all issues football, to have a fair say when it comes to sporting issues and other issues that might be in the general community, how we can overcome diversity with our club and the great game the centerpiece.

Thanks Chris!

Appreciate the reply 👍

-You are right on the biggest club and while we are a Melbourne team we have supporters everywhere so certainly an opportunity exists both in rural VIC, I’d love to see more activations around the state and interstate too, for a longer shot overseas.

To clarify this, even as an interstate supporter, I believe that all our home games should be played at the MCG. As long as we can afford to do so (and it’s a good incentive to remain financially strong) I don‘t think Collingwood should ever sell its home games. As for the away games, I think we should be open to playing those anywhere … but understand that some Melbourne metro supporters probably disagree with that point.

As for overseas games .. that’s a tough one. Where would it come from?

I certainly wouldn’t want Collingwood to play a home game overseas (or anywhere but the MCG … the 2 home games we have at Marvel should be sorted out IMO)

As for an away game, I’d rather Collingwood played those in front of the interstate supporters rather than overseas. I believe we have a strong following in Perth so good for our team to play in front of them. And Queensland. Plus Queensland is a good destination for Melbourne based supporters to escape the darkest depths of winter and make a holiday out of watching an interstate Collingwood game. The Swans game is a ritual, and GWS stadium is an awesome stadium to watch the footy at. It’s got that feel like the old suburban grounds. Don‘t know anything about games in SA.

So what other options are there? There used to be an AFL game played in the off-season every year at the Oval in London and that used to be fun occasion for the ex-pats over there. But I think we need to be respectful that our players are allowed to sit in a desert island and play chess in their off season if that’s what they feel they need to do to recharge.

Pre-season games? We’ve established a recent custom of playing those in front of our regional fans (eg: Gippsland). I once saw us play a pre-season game in Wagga and that was a hoot. I certainly wouldn’t want to take away those games from our regional fans.

AFLW games? They have a very short season and as it is we don’t get to see much of them (eg: they’ve never played in Sydney)

VFL games? Yeah, maybe.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Pre-season games? We’ve established a recent custom of playing those in front of our regional fans (eg: Gippsland). I once saw us play a pre-season game in Wagga and that was a hoot. I certainly wouldn’t want to take away those games from our regional fans.

I think these preseason games should be shared around.

There's also opportunity to undertake preseason training camps interstate.

I think these preseason games should be shared around.

There's also opportunity to undertake preseason training camps interstate.

Do Brisbane / Suns play pre-season games up there at Cazaly stadium? That would create options with us as the away team?

IIRC, our mens traditionally play a pre-season away game against Freo at Joondalup (WA) as a double header with the AFLW game. That game seems to be locked in every year and not … as you say … shared around. Don‘t know why.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

Chris,

I live in WA. I can buy an interstate membership which doesnt even provide me with a ticket to a game at perth stadium. It does give me ability to attend 5, I think, games at the MCG in the public area. I think this membership costs $175. Of course, I would also have to front up another $4K in plane tickets if I felt the urge to attend these games. I used to buy this membership when there was some rights to a seat when the Pies came over, but in 2020 I bought a couple of anzac memberships instead and that proved to be just another method of donating money to the club. I ended up buying tickets online when the Pies came over to play for the stint they did here but being a member didnt really help other than to give me a few hours head start with ticketmaster. This past year, I gave up buying memberships. I look at the melbourne based memberships and they seem to deliver pretty good value. I can't say the same for any membership for someone living in WA. It should be said that access to seats at perth stadium - especially for beagles games - is difficult for the club, so I'm not blaming it totally but I do feel unloved at times.

Final word if you do manage to get some votes - go to graham wright and give him a blank cheque to do whatever he wants. He is our winning edge.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Do Brisbane / Suns play pre-season games up there at Cazaly stadium? That would create options with us as the away team?

IIRC, our mens traditionally play a pre-season away game against Freo at Joondalup (WA) as a double header with the AFLW game. That game seems to be locked in every year and not … as you say … shared around. Don‘t know why.

The Suns do every year. During Covid Cairns has hosted some other teams too. Brisbane vs Sydney was a sell out. There's opportunity to play here if inclined. They've also played preseason games in Townsville.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

i remember going to a game in joondalup in 2019. I also remember going to see them in a preseason down in mandurah 2 years before that. However, I have never felt that the pies playing the dockers preseason has got to the traditional stage. This year collingwood played richmond and the year before we played richmond and st. kilda, although I recognise that plans would have had to have been rejigged for covid. Dont get me wrong. I appreciate these games, considering the difficulty in getting access to tickets in the real season games, and i understand pie supporters in other states would love to see the team more in any form of competition. The fact that members want more games at the MCG means that interstaters are happy to get any scraps on offer.

i remember going to a game in joondalup in 2019. I also remember going to see them in a preseason down in mandurah 2 years before that. However, I have never felt that the pies playing the dockers preseason has got to the traditional stage. This year collingwood played richmond and the year before we played richmond and st. kilda, although I recognise that plans would have had to have been rejigged for covid. Dont get me wrong. I appreciate these games, considering the difficulty in getting access to tickets in the real season games, and i understand pie supporters in other states would love to see the team more in any form of competition. The fact that members want more games at the MCG means that interstaters are happy to get any scraps on offer.

Ah, OK. I think it’s a ritual that the AFLW team play over there every year? I remembered that AFL pre-season games have been tacked into that.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Ah, OK. I think it’s a ritual that the AFLW team play over there every year? I remembered that AFL pre-season games have been tacked into that.

yes the women have been here in fremantle too. I was thinking of going but I wasnt sure that I could refrain from saying something inappropriate during the whole game....

C Macdonald

Draftee
Nov 21, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
C Macdonald ,

What inspired you to nominate for the board?

How are you finding the candidate experience? Has it given you a different perspective of Collingwood?

Hi 76,

Being a passionate fan (that would be no good playing footy, since my Auskick days anyway) I’ve seen the club as a big part of my life. I felt the board needed a normal person on it. I say that as a full time worker, someone who gets to about every game and has a love for the club. I’d love to make some positive contribution to the club and if that’s something as small as listening about issues and hopefully implementing items that will make everyone happier and our club a better place then that’s fine with me.

I’ve been pleased to find so many members so far really keen for a chat, voicing their opinions all of which have been extremely valid. Items such as reserved seating, acknowledging member contributions, the Do Better report as a few items and those in this thread.

C Macdonald

Draftee
Nov 21, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Chris,

I live in WA. I can buy an interstate membership which doesnt even provide me with a ticket to a game at perth stadium. It does give me ability to attend 5, I think, games at the MCG in the public area. I think this membership costs $175. Of course, I would also have to front up another $4K in plane tickets if I felt the urge to attend these games. I used to buy this membership when there was some rights to a seat when the Pies came over, but in 2020 I bought a couple of anzac memberships instead and that proved to be just another method of donating money to the club. I ended up buying tickets online when the Pies came over to play for the stint they did here but being a member didnt really help other than to give me a few hours head start with ticketmaster. This past year, I gave up buying memberships. I look at the melbourne based memberships and they seem to deliver pretty good value. I can't say the same for any membership for someone living in WA. It should be said that access to seats at perth stadium - especially for beagles games - is difficult for the club, so I'm not blaming it totally but I do feel unloved at times.

Final word if you do manage to get some votes - go to graham wright and give him a blank cheque to do whatever he wants. He is our winning edge.

Hi Mark,
Certainly looks like the interstate options need to be explored more, obviously the last two years as you’ve mentioned have mainly been club donations. Are there any items in particular you’d love to see or just really keen to get to a local game in Perth?

Cheers
Chris

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Hi Mark,
Certainly looks like the interstate options need to be explored more, obviously the last two years as you’ve mentioned have mainly been club donations. Are there any items in particular you’d love to see or just really keen to get to a local game in Perth?

Cheers
Chris

Some of the issues are outside the control of the club. Eagles membership fills perth stadium. There are hardly any seats available to visiting clubs. The club gives any access to WAmagpies. Ironically, it was easier to get a ticket in the old Subiaco days when I used to end up behind the goals in the cheersquad area. Someone else mentioned a rather casual attitude by the club to WA pie fans.

But as an example, when geelong played the pies at perth stadium last year, 30000 fans turned up.... it was quite a big crowd....so it depends on what the club sees as important.

Chris's BF membership is pending.
He will join the discussion when he is accepted.
If nothing else I got Chief a new member.

Chief, you can pay me off in Beancoins.

Back