Who will captain in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
Wanted to see who the general consensus is for on here amongst the one-eyed faithful.

Seeing so much love and advocacy for Darcy Moore from both people and the media, but I can’t quite understand why there isn’t enough support for Taylor Adams.

I’ve always viewed him as the successor to Scott Pendlebury.

Tough as nails, no frills, leads from the front, puts the club ahead of himself and has an impeccable off field record. Easy choice for me.

Seeing so much love and advocacy for Darcy Moore from both people and the media, but I can’t quite understand why there isn’t enough support for Taylor Adams.

Tough as nails, no frills, leads from the front, puts the club ahead of himself and has an impeccable off field record. Easy choice for me.

Tay has been the heir in waiting for a long time, I think the question would be his body wise.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think Darcy is the one who has been groomed as the next Captain. Has been VC for a couple of years. I think he would want to take the next step.

I cannot see this famous club lifting a premiership cup with a co-captain scenario.

Would rather a lesser captain than the role be split between two, or more.

For mine, it was always Moore over Adams, as Adams struggles to lead on field with his insipid turnovers.

However with an eye on the future, we're seeing Maynard emerge as an endearing favourite son amongst the faithful with inspired acts on-field envied by other supporters and some serious leadership promise in and around the club.

I can now see him becoming the inspired choice by his coaches and team mates here.

Youtube: Maynard tackle vs Ed "Duck Dinner" Langdon, MCG, Rd 21, 2022

Anyone but Moore for me. I could stomach him as a co-captain only.

For mine, Adams or Maynard.

What I think will happen?

Adams and Moore co-captains

Maynard VC, Howe DVC
What’s wrong with Moore as solo captain?

I think Darcy is the one who has been groomed as the next Captain. Has been VC for a couple of years. I think he would want to take the next step.
And Tay has been VC for the last 6 years. It was very much apparant Adams was the one.. until his body started to break down the last few years, and Moore stepped up.
But don't think anyone could complain if its either one of them tbh, both good candidates.

Anyone but Moore for me. I could stomach him as a co-captain only.

For mine, Adams or Maynard.

What I think will happen?

Adams and Moore co-captains

Maynard VC, Howe DVC
Moore received the most votes followed by Adams in last years leadership vote amongst the players. Based on that the logical conclusion would be that Moore will be captain with Adams his deputy, assuming the captain is chosen by player vote.

No Sidebottom option?
I voted Crispy, but prefer Sidearse.
Either for 2 years ala Scott BOOOOOOurns then NAICOS.

4 consecutive flags and then I can die happy, in 30-40 years time.

I’ve gone with Adams, and think he’d be next best but by gosh I’d also love to see Brayden Maynard named as captain of Collingwood. It just has a feeling of romantic continuation of the Fly 2022 Magpies feel about it if it were to occur.

Could you imagine Bruz on the dais with Fly lifting a premiership trophy up? I can’t 😂

What’s wrong with Moore as solo captain?
To me a captain needs to be ruthless, hungry, team first, tough, uncompromising.

The players on our list that are that are Adams an Maynard. Our previous 2 premiership captains had that in spades, Shaw and Maxwell.

And some of the best recent premiership teams had that as captain, Hodge, Selwood, Voss, Cotchin etc.

Moore has always frustrated me with his care free attitude (although he improved with this in 2022). I want someone who would literally die for the cause on the last Saturday in September, Like Maxwell showed in the draw in 2010, like Adams showed in 2018, and like we can imagine Maynard could if he were to be captain.

Fly ultimately knows what he wants from his leader and I have faith in him making the right choice.

For all of the above, I'm almost certainly convinced we will go with co-captains.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Sidebottom option?

4 consecutive flags and then I can die happy, in 30-40 years time.
sidebottom is no longer in the leadership group. Probably self explanatory he wont be captain. Probably past it given his age as well.

To me a captain needs to be ruthless, hungry, team first, tough, uncompromising.

The players on our list that are that are Adams an Maynard. Our previous 2 premiership captains had that in spades, Shaw and Maxwell.

And some of the best recent premiership teams had that as captain, Hodge, Selwood, Voss, Cotchin etc.

Moore has always frustrated me with his care free attitude (although he improved with this in 2022). I want someone who would literally die for the cause on the last Saturday in September, Like Maxwell showed in the draw in 2010, like Adams showed in 2018, and like we can imagine Maynard could if he were to be captain.

Fly ultimately knows what he wants from his leader and I have faith in him making the right choice.

For all of the above, I'm almost certainly convinced we will go with co-captains.
Agree to an extent but he was much better than Maynard in the finals. Why not Crisp? Adams as captain would be a worry.

Care free attitude?
I wonder what you mean by this.

His ability to stay on the park mostly. Moore averages 18 games a season over the last 4, whereas Adams averages 15.75 and it's been mostly soft tissue problems (which makes me think it will only get worse). His on-field performances also took a significant dip.

Darcy's advantage would be that he is the right man for all the stuff other than the actual football. In contrast, Pendles has mainly focussed on the football-related things about the role. I'm not entirely sure about a change in emphasis. I like Adams because to me he reinforces the importance of winning premierships. I accept his injuries could be a problem, then I say go for Jack Crisp. Uncomplicated, focussed on game day.

Darcy's advantage would be that he is the right man for all the stuff other than the actual football. In contrast, Pendles has mainly focussed on the football-related things about the role. I'm not entirely sure about a change in emphasis. I like Adams because to me he reinforces the importance of winning premierships. I accept his injuries could be a problem, then I say go for Jack Crisp. Uncomplicated, focussed on game day.
Anyone whose intent is to take the focus away from football is not a good choice. Couldn’t give a rats about the other stuff? Let the administrators deal with that stuff

Anyone whose intent is to take the focus away from football is not a good choice. Couldn’t give a rats about the other stuff? Let the administrators deal with that stuff

I dont know what Darcy's intent is. I only know that I would prefer a captain who directs the focus on footy related matters. We have politicians and community leaders to deal with the other matters. To me, the core business is winning premierships.

No Sidebottom option?

I had wondered about Sidebottom too …

… but the reason Pendlebury stood down was to allow a succession plan for the next generation. Having Sidebottom as captain would defeat the purpose of Pendlebury having stood down.

Burns was different - Buckley had retired from the game.

Think Adams is a bit of a victim of Pendlebury’s longevity. Unfortunately the timing has now coincided with Adams becoming more injury prone whilst also allowing Moore 2-3 years to develop his leadership.

I dont know what Darcy's intent is. I only know that I would prefer a captain who directs the focus on footy related matters. We have politicians and community leaders to deal with the other matters. To me, the core business is winning premierships.
Anyone who watches Collingwood would know what Moore’s intent is on field.
Without him we would have won half as many games last season.

I’ve never understood the rhetoric that because Brodie Grundy and Darcy Moore have interests outside of football they don’t care enough. Or that a lack of physical aggression means a lack of passion.

I don’t think that avoiding melees is a sign of lacking commitment or passion. It’s a sign of maturity, and is setting a great example for young men. I think Darc’s cool head is an asset.

Anyone who watches Collingwood would know what Moore’s intent is on field.
Without him we would have won half as many games last season.

He's a good player. Some of the things I'm talking are not about the level or his intent on the field. I want to see a fair and just organisation but I dont see it as a policy institute or a body that leads the community in non-football things. I would argue that Pendels has taken the right approach in the last 9 years.

Back