Autopsy Collingwood Ducks v Roos

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
The game plan for 3/4’s yesterday wasn’t the same one we have seen for the 11 games prior.

It’s concerning that it’s taken so long and the threat of sackings to bring about the change.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.
The players being freed up to play a more attacking brand of footy may have played a part in the improvement in effort also.

It was visibly noticeable that they were more aggressive at the contest. Lachie Young was the poster child for it, it’s the most aggressive I have seen him play, he looked like he was on the angry pills.

Apr 7, 2013
Cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons
OK. So the coach and his game plan is fine. And the talent on the list is fine. The players just have to try harder?
In a nut shell-

The team practised offence during the week to play an attacking style.

The structures were better all over the ground.

We dominated clearances for most of the game. 4th quarter the pies got on top and LDU was stuck on the bench for 11 minutes.

We weren't torched on the turnover and team defence was excellent for the most part

Our back 6 were more mobile with Bmac, Corr, Bonar, Lmac, Perez, Young. Benny intercepted everything.

Our forward structure looked miles better with quicker ball movement with Larkey, Ziebell and Zurhaar all getting in on the action.

It was chalk and cheese to the last 4 months. Exciting football through the corridor with not to many passengers. Umpiring was ar a decent to good standard fir a change also.

LDU was a ******* monster. Grab the tissues and watch the replay mate. The lad has a Charlie in him.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If not size he needs more core strength. He's brushed off the ball too easily and needs more strength to allow him to stick tackles or break free.

Hopefully the new strength and conditioning team will help him a lot.
I reckon his hip injury has something to do with that weak core. It seems more noticeable this year that he is weaker over the ball or while competing. He might have set himself back 18 months with that stunt.

There was one play where he went into his playing for a free and the opposition player was still a fair way from reaching him.

End of the day though, people that duck can be caught holding the ball with good tackling technique. It’s on the tackler to get this right.
Perez did get ginnivan correctly at one point. No free tho.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The players just have to try harder?
Just on that, this is the first time this year, maybe for a couple of years including early games of a season, where I have seen so many players cramping up and confronting the wall of fatigue. They really put in yesterday.

Just on that, this is the first time this year, maybe for a couple of years including early games of a season, where I have seen so many players cramping up and confronting the wall of fatigue. They really put in yesterday.
It’s the first time a game has been alive that late in a really long time.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
OK. So the coach and his game plan is fine. And the talent on the list is fine. The players just have to try harder?

Don’t know if I’d go that far.

There was a considerable lift in effort across the team, not hard considering they’ve given up multiple times this year.

As far as the game plan goes, it looked simpler when we had the ball, so I wonder if the coach just gave them more license to play or if we got on top and the players bought in more because it’s working. It’s really hard to tell because it’s so subtle…..and I’m not as good as others of seeing the changes.

A more mature team would have iced the game by taking more time off the clock once the momentum shifted and they started winning clearance.

We absolutely dominated them in centre clearance for most of the game.

LDU was brilliant (and tbh he’s going to get a lot better), the combo of Goldy & CJ is so much more potent then the Goldy & Xerri, don’t think that can be understated.

McKay back in defence was huge.

The differences in ours and Collingwoods game plan was stark. They press high, but we didn’t press at all, we seemed to prefer to clog up between the arch’s, allowing them to bring it out of 50 but cause turnover in the middle of the ground.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Haven't seen any of yesterday's game - umpiring commitments means I can't go to Saturday afternoon games, and I've just been too busy today to watch the replay, and I'm too lazy to read back over this entire thread.

In a nut shell, what was different about the first three quarters yesterday? If anything, is it sustainable? Can I expect more like it before the end of the year? Or was it just a flash in the pan that will get dimmed very quickly?
I’d suggest you read Rick’s notes.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Haven't seen any of yesterday's game - umpiring commitments means I can't go to Saturday afternoon games, and I've just been too busy today to watch the replay, and I'm too lazy to read back over this entire thread.

In a nut shell, what was different about the first three quarters yesterday? If anything, is it sustainable? Can I expect more like it before the end of the year? Or was it just a flash in the pan that will get dimmed very quickly?
I just think they threw everything at us at the start of the final quarter, and we were too inexperienced/immature to deal with it. Two very quick goals gave them hope and probably put the fear into us.

And we ran out of gas pretty quickly, too. There were a few half-efforts and mistakes resulting from tiredness and/or additional pressure - shanked kick to Sidebottom on the 50 metre line, who then goaled, for instance. Bonar dropped a mark because he literally started cramping as the ball was coming in.

Despite a decent lead at 3QT, the final result was (sadly) perfectly predictable.

I just think they threw everything at us at the start of the final quarter, and we were too inexperienced/immature to deal with it. Two very quick goals gave them hope and probably put the fear into us.

And we ran out of gas pretty quickly, too. There were a few half-efforts and mistakes resulting from tiredness and/or additional pressure - shanked kick to Sidebottom on the 50 metre line, who then goaled, for instance. Bonar dropped a mark because he literally started cramping as the ball was coming in.

Despite a decent lead at 3QT, the final result was (sadly) perfectly predictable.
Some people might disagree but that's on Mahony. The ball was locked in there for repeat stoppages and we set up for a quick clearance away from goal. That means its most likely a chaotic, pressured kick for territory alone, at the very first opportunity. He had to win or at least halve that contest and that meant being between Sidebottom and the contest, not on his outside. Its the same mistake Bailey Scott made earlier in the game dodging a 50m penalty. You need to keep him boundary side where ever you can. Sidebottom is a gun so its not gonna be easy but that's what the situation demanded.

At least if the ball goes over your heads and he gets it out the back he's further from goal than if he gets it in front of you or goalside of you.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Some people might disagree but that's on Mahony. The ball was locked in there for repeat stoppages and we set up for a quick clearance away from goal. That means its most likely a chaotic, pressured kick for territory alone, at the very first opportunity. He had to win or at least halve that contest and that meant being between Sidebottom and the contest, not on his outside. Its the same mistake Bailey Scott made earlier in the game dodging a 50m penalty. You need to keep him boundary side where ever you can. Sidebottom is a gun so its not gonna be easy but that's what the situation demanded.

At least if the ball goes over your heads and he gets it out the back he's further from goal than if he gets it in front of you or goalside of you.
I actually said the same thing at the game.

He had also positioned himself boundary side of Sidebottom when he needed to be on the inside. At worst if Sidebottom wins the contest he had the option to push him wide to the boundary which is a harder kick.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Lachie Young was the poster child for it, it’s the most aggressive I have seen him play, he looked like he was on the angry pills.
As a doubter of Lachie, I was very impressed. His effort, intent and execution were all fantastic. He’s completely proven me wrong.

I actually said the same thing at the game.

He had also positioned himself boundary side of Sidebottom when he needed to be on the inside. At worst if Sidebottom wins the contest he had the option to push him wide to the boundary which is a harder kick.
Mahony cops alot of flack but when he was playing much better football he was doing that sort of thing, he just hasn't been lately. And with him that's what makes the difference between it being worth it to play him or not. He has to get that stuff right.

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As a doubter of Lachie, I was very impressed. His effort, intent and execution were all fantastic. He’s completely proven me wrong.
Watching the first half and there is a crucial contest late in the 2nd where he goes in so *en hard to ensure we win it, and then receives the handball seconds later to deliver it inside 50. He’s really got something, I had him pretty much written off but I was wrong — hard as a cats head and fantastic in the air, skills improving. If he isn’t contracted surely he gets two years…

Watching the first half and there is a crucial contest late in the 2nd where he goes in so *en hard to ensure we win it, and then receives the handball seconds later to deliver it inside 50. He’s really got something, I had him pretty much written off but I was wrong — hard as a cats head and fantastic in the air, skills improving. If he isn’t contracted surely he gets two years…
I have been saying this since the start 🤌🏻🤌🏻 Cough cough hehehe

FootySmartSimpson

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He is a smart footballer, no doubt. The way he moves his body before tackle you are left with 2 options. 1. Is tackle and the arm goes round the neck. 2. You tackle the legs as thats how low he gets.

He may be revolutionary to the game. He has taken it to the next level
What happens when he is doing an action that the umpires deem is all well and good and in the spirit of the game, he drops his knees and his body takes out an oppositions legs?

The rules should try to encourage good football. The best football is keeping your feet.

Back