News Collingwood Football Club is guilty of systemic racism, review finds

Remove this Banner Ad

Chief Ten Beers

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can someone legit tell me why it's now First Nations? What's the PC way of saying these days, I don't want to make a mistake

"
Nation definition, a large body of people, associated with a particular territory, that is sufficiently conscious of its unity to seek or to possess a government peculiarly its own
"

Really confused at the rewriting of history that goes on.

Gough

Sep 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can someone legit tell me why it's now First Nations? What's the PC way of saying these days, I don't want to make a mistake

"
Nation definition, a large body of people, associated with a particular territory, that is sufficiently conscious of its unity to seek or to possess a government peculiarly its own
"

I'd argue that recognising Indigenous history in Australia is correcting history rather than rewriting it.

RonnieRaven

Mature age recruit
Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Leon Davis has his say. Makes for grim reading.

That’s really upsetting and articulated really well by Leon.
It’s manipulated through media that all First Nation people kick up stink with their hand out.
99% of first people just want an Australia where their children aren’t treated like they were.
The past is the past but we need a better future.
The best way to do that is through primary school education teaching the true history of this country.

The 747

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

"
"

Not sure what the question is here, indigenous Australians would be a group of nations under that definition, same as indigenous people all over the world.

Chief Ten Beers

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd argue that recognising Indigenous history in Australia is correcting history rather than rewriting it.
No ones against that straw man argument!

Its the rewriting and use of ever changing political terminology that confuses.

"Nation" in the context of early Australia and by the meaning if the word itself, is misleading in the way its used.

First Nation is actually a Canadian term anyway officially introduced by the government to replace Indian Band but hey, history is free to be rewritten and it starts with twisting of language.

Again, the language not the history itself.

The 747

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
No ones against that straw man argument!

Its the rewriting and use of ever changing political terminology that confuses.

"Nation" in the context of early Australia and by the meaning if the word itself, is misleading in the way its used.

First Nation is actually a Canadian term anyway officially introduced by the government to replace Indian Band but hey, history is free to be rewritten and it starts with twisting of language.

Again, the language not the history itself.
Changing the term from indigenous or aboriginal to first nations is rewriting history?

What did you think of the Leon Davis article published this morning about his experiences at Collingwood?

Roby

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Now where is the queue of Collingwood supporters and RW nut-jobs denouncing Leon Davis too.

Last edited:

Gold Rocks

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond

Probably the best article so far with meaningful insight. The pies hater nuffies will love using this ammunition article just to troll/sh*t on them and not focusing on the change leon is talking about with society being better. Mick Malthouse a coaching player manager legend was coach every year of Leons career who is escaping responsibility on this issue. Mick also coach of Lumumba most of his career when the nick name started.

Last edited:

doppleganger

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Probably the best article so far with meaningful insight. The pies hater nuffies will love using this ammunition article just to troll/sh*t on them and not focusing on the change leon is talking about with society being better. Mick Malthouse a coaching player manager legend was coach every year of Leons career who is escaping responsibility on this issue. Mick also coach of Lumumba most of his career when the nick name started.
Yes indeed.

Would hope that the cultural change that Collingwood started post MM would mean that a guy like Kayle Kirby didn't have to experience what Leon did.

And that is a good thing.

A long way to go no doubt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RAPPA

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
How stupid and thick headed are AFL footballers to have filled out a player’s profile with racial stereotypes. I mean, yes, there’s the overwhelming element of responsibility facing upon the club to stamp that $hit out, but it’s just disappointing that there are morons who think it’s all fine to have done it in the first place. Some people really are lucky that breathing is automatic.

Big Blood

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt
That Leon Davis interview is as damning as anything in this saga

Roby

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yet Leon says nothing till now. That says a lot in itself.

One can have a go at Lumumba all they like but at least he spoke up.

sprockets

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond

This is at the heart of the entire issue...

"“It’s the same with our history and Australian history. What has happened to our people from settlement that hasn’t been dealt with, that hasn’t been rectified. We haven’t had our cultural healing. On a lesser scale with Collingwood, that hasn’t been rectified.

“Until you fix what happened with the past and you make right this environment of systemic racism, this ignorance, this white privilege, I don’t think it’s going to change. With the review, you can’t put things in place moving forward if you can’t deal with the past.”"

What can be done that will fix the problems of the past? It seems 'we've' tried everything but nothing's changed, the attitude of us against them, and vice versa, hasn't improved. IMO what has to change is that there's not an 'us' and a 'them' and the change has to come from BOTH sides. We can't change the past but we can change the future.

PS. In my first job, a guy abused me (for something I didn't do) and I walked. I wasn't going to put up with abuse just for money. He'd been there for years and was experienced while I'd been there for months, so it was pretty clear who the boss would back. Anyone who is aggrieved has a duty to act on it when it happens, not years later once the money's in your pocket.

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham

"“It’s the same with our history and Australian history. What has happened to our people from settlement that hasn’t been dealt with, that hasn’t been rectified. We haven’t had our cultural healing. On a lesser scale with Collingwood, that hasn’t been rectified.

“Until you fix what happened with the past and you make right this environment of systemic racism, this ignorance, this white privilege, I don’t think it’s going to change. With the review, you can’t put things in place moving forward if you can’t deal with the past.”"

What can be done that will fix the problems of the past? It seems 'we've' tried everything but nothing's changed, the attitude of us against them, and vice versa, hasn't improved. IMO what has to change is that there's not an 'us' and a 'them' and the change has to come from BOTH sides. We can't change the past but we can change the future.

PS. In my first job, a guy abused me (for something I didn't do) and I walked. I wasn't going to put up with abuse just for money. He'd been there for years and was experienced while I'd been there for months, so it was pretty clear who the boss would back. Anyone who is aggrieved has a duty to act on it when it happens, not years later once the money's in your pocket.
If every aboriginal player walked over racism we would never have got to see some of the champions of the game.
Walking from some sh*t job because you didn't like a false accusation doesn't equate to being abused and victimized because of your skin colour, 99% of the time a black player would have walked straight into the same racism at the next club he went to, if any club would take him after word got around that he was "soft".
You have no understanding of the power imbalance of being the "other" amongst the 60-70 players and staff at a football club.
If Leon had of stopped playing footy because of racism that would of showed those racists hey.

Gavin Excell

Hall of Famer
Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Wh
That’s really upsetting and articulated really well by Leon.
It’s manipulated through media that all First Nation people kick up stink with their hand out.
99% of first people just want an Australia where their children aren’t treated like they were.
The past is the past but we need a better future.
The best way to do that is through primary school education teaching the true history of this country.
what Is the true history

Bjchan13

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon

Good question and point. Leon says 'until you fix what happened with the past'. It is literally impossible for anyone to change the past. You can acknowledge the past and any wrongdoings, genuinely apologise, and commit to doing things right in the future. But you cant change it. On Leons experience specifically, which was pretty terrible reading, how about the players that filled out that player profile put their hand up, publicly acknowledge that it was them that did it and genuinely apologise. Thats how you can start building a bridge and changing it from 'us' against 'them' mentality, to genuine equality. With Heritiers situation i think he hasn't been acknowledged at all from the people at Collingwood who could genuinely make a difference. I think this could be down to legal issues as i believe Lumumba is currently suing the club? But for Buckley to deny everything and publicly put it down to Heritiers mental healh, Eddie trying to buy his silence with a life membership, those things don't just fix the past. You've gotta be genuine in your apology and commitment to change, and most people can see through it if its not genuine.

RonnieRaven

Mature age recruit
Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wh
what Is the true history
When I was a kid I was taught that Australia was unsettled until Europeans.
That indigenous were uncivilised nomadic and were classified more as native fauna.
These were claimed and ingrained because even back then you could only claim land that was unclaimed.
Modern research of old diary’s,journals and letters of some European explorers illustrate a complete different picture.
Not only were indigenous Australians civilised they were quite sophisticated in sustainable farming practices, trading, building and relationships(no inbreeding like the English royals) and worked in unison with nature.
That’s why they sustained a culture for 40,000 years.

Gavin Excell

Hall of Famer
Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
When I was a kid I was taught that Australia was unsettled until Europeans.
That indigenous were uncivilised nomadic and were classified more as native fauna.
These were claimed and ingrained because even back then you could only claim land that was unclaimed.
Modern research of old diary’s,journals and letters of some European explorers illustrate a complete different picture.
Not only were indigenous Australians civilised they were quite sophisticated in sustainable farming practices, trading, building and relationships(no inbreeding like the English royals) and worked in unison with nature.
That’s why they sustained a culture for 40,000 years.
That's certainly one view yes

Remove this Banner Ad