Fixture Collingwood hasn't played Sydney at the MCG since 2013. Here's how you can solve that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I haven't gone through every scenario, just shown you a few examples, but you put every team into groups of two (based on geography and for Victoria, membership numbers).

You play the team in your grouping twice and every team in the other groups once at home and once away. The following year, you flip all of those home and away fixtures.

For example:

If Collingwood plays Sydney at the MCG in 23, they play Sydney at the SCG in 2024.

The groupings also ensure that there's a geographical balance. What I mean is that if you play one SA team at home, you play the other SA team away, etc. All interstate teams play 5 Victorian sides at home and 5 away, including 2 big Vic at home, and 2 away.

You can still double up some blockbusters and double the rivalry games, this is only about how to fixture the first 17 games for each club, not all 22 or 23 games.

But you don't end up with something like no Fremantle v Melbourne at Optus for five years anymore, it's every second year.

P.S. This system still works for Tasmania, they just play every team in these groups once at home and once away, for example:

2026: Tasmania v Western Bulldogs, 2027: Western Bulldogs v Tasmania

2026: North Melbourne v Tasmania, 2027: Tasmania v North Melbourne

1ekrdndvyyp91.png

When was the last time Collingwood played at Geelong?
preseason a few years ago.

Cans someone explain to me how the MCG is allowed to hold a contract for 5 away games involving Collingwood? That is just pure bullshit. Clubs should only be contracted for home games, it's just another fix of the fixture.

preseason a few years ago.

Cans someone explain to me how the MCG is allowed to hold a contract for 5 away games involving Collingwood? That is just pure bullshit. Clubs should only be contracted for home games, it's just another fix of the fixture.

It’s a joke and a distinct advantage to Collingwood.

It’s a joke and a distinct advantage to Collingwood.

If Collingwood, and every team, played all their home games at their home ground Collingwood would end up playing basically exactly the same number of games at the G.

As it is, Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne, Hawthorn & Richmond are almost guaranteed home games against Collingwood at the G every year. These are the teams that really benefit.

We should be playing every game at the MCG in primetime because that would maximise AFL profits. Only a matter of time really. Cash is king!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back