Club Focus Collingwood 2020 - Henry, Macrae, McInnes, Poulter, McMahon, McCreery

AFL Club Focus
2019 Collingwood club focus thread

Data from footywire. To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I hadn't seen this until just now. Remarkable.

This was all part of the plan. Trading out 21-year-old Jaidyn Stephenson, who's a bit too old, to get more young talent in the draft. Nothing to do with cap space. Definitely not a fire sale. How dare David King suggest otherwise.

Last edited:

The Dominator7

Unleash Finbar's Fury
Sep 22, 2016
D'Amico Republic
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Cubs, FC Brugge
Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley had previously denied a report claiming he called Treloar and told him senior Collingwood players no longer wanted him at the club. However, Treloar confirmed that conversation, but said he didn’t believe it and suggested the Magpies were saying anything they could to make him leave.

“That was told to me in no uncertain way. That hurt,” Treloar said. “To be told that when I don’t think that’s the truth ... that hurts.”

“I think anything was going to be said to move me on.”

s**t for Pies fans, if it had to happen then it had to happen (cap wise) - but it’s the lies, spin and treatment of players by management that’s the problem...you just have to exit your players better than that.

Bucks rightly copping it for the lying tweet denying the conversation and giving it to Sam Edmund, and then the rather self serving tweet about being his hardest day in footy, but it did remind me of this gem from him around leadership when Don Don was having a few issues in the USA.

Quite apt now....ouch

809CA16F-268A-4468-9128-06039EBA47B0.jpeg

This was all part of the plan. Trading out 21-year-old Jaidyn Stephenson, who's a bit too old, to get more young talent in the draft. Nothing to do with cap space. Definitely not a fire sale. How dare David King suggest otherwise.

PR spin even he knows its not real.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
PR spin even he knows its not real.
But the spin paints them in a worse light than the real explanation.

"Nah no cap issues. This was all part of the plan: trade out contracted best 22 players for massive unders because the draft."

Sorry what?

If this was true, they'd still be inept.

Jun 29, 2006
Nthn Beaches
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BBGFC and LRGC
Ahhh yes, Ned Guy's explaination for why Phillips also went in the garage sale.

Basically Phillips was asked what position he'd like to play, or where he'd be at his best. Wing was what Tom said.
So because they might draft a bloke who might play wing, its best they throw Phillips immediately on the scrapheap.

Moral of the story. Never ever tell a dumber than dogshit list manager where you play your best footy. Tell them back pocket, or maybe you're a gun orange peeler.

Jun 29, 2006
Nthn Beaches
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BBGFC and LRGC
The new age public relations people will be issuing instructions.

Throw Ned Guy to the wolves and let them chew on him for a day.
Bucks does Mea Culpa but falls short of admitting what Treloar said.
Ed claims to take full responisibility. So much regret. No idea how how it happened.

Bux and Ed hunker down till it blows over in 3 days.

These are the days where "taking full responisbility" simply means saying that you take full responsibility. No ramifications required after you weather the storm.
Idea is to get the public to blame Ned, and admire Ed's amazing leadership for pretending to take responsibility for something that he can deny.

No problem as long as u pay out Ned Guys's contract in full so he aint too pissed.

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
But the spin paints them in a worse light than the real explanation.

"Nah no cap issues. This was all part of the plan: trade out contracted best 22 players for massive unders because the draft."

Sorry what?

If this was true, they'd still be inept.

Mate, those players have netted them a draft hand of picks 14, 16, 65, and 70. I think they're sitting pretty. Mission accomplished.

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
I love sticking the boots into opposition clubs when the chance arises but I genuinely feel pity for most of their members at the moment.

Memberships aren't cheap for some people and to be so blatantly lied to like a bunch of fools staggers me.

Unfortunately, some have swallowed this propaganda.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Interesting to see what type of contract they give Jordan De Goey now

Retaining Darcy Moore is about the only good thing to happen to the Pies since the season ended.

Priddis Is Done

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

Dead man walking

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I'm a 54 year old true Collingwood hater and the 80's player poaching and running both clubs nearly broke is probably the cause of it so it runs deep.

I actually feel for the Pies supporters and members with not only what they have done as that can happen and sometimes its understandable to sell assets to pay debt to solidify position and rebuild again.

But the treatment of players , Supporters , Members with the Lies and the bulltish reasons is just treating them with contempt and thinking they are fools and will just excuse the treatment - Wow

How many coaches survive 10 years of coaching without success , How long does Eddie believe he should remain. Ned Guy is just too stupid to do this job
Piss him off and Get Balme back and the Pies really need Balme badly

nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
So have I got this right?

This was clearly a salary cap dump. But Collingwood don't want to say that because it would suggest mismanagement within the football department.

So instead they're saying this was a cunning plan to improve their draft position? And they think that is better/more plausible? Given the return, it suggests its own distinct form of silliness. I mean, sure, if trading these guys had brought in a swag of decent picks, that kite might fly but how on earth do you try to make that case given the bargain price?

Surely it would be better to simply say "yes we had salary cap pressure and had to make some hard calls". It's not like anyone is fooled by the alternative explanation, which in any case also implies a degree of incompetence at the trade table.

Imagine getting caught jaywalking. And then in an effort to explain yourself you tell the police that you've shat yourself. Is the excuse better or worse than the real reason?

And yet the media across the board have not called them out on this. Not in the interviews I have heard. Collingwood have doubled down on their fictional storyline. And yet in interviews noone has made the points you put forward.

Gutless.

nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
This transcends tribal mud flinging

I'm just putting this into context with my club.

We lose Yeo, Sheed, Duggan and Gaff plus 3 picks 25 to 40.

We get back pick 16 and 60.

**** me sideways. In what situation does club headquarters not get burned to the ground?

And yet Maguire, Walsh and Buckley will get a free ride. Some on social media are not happy. But that's as far as it goes.

As for Guy, he'll be the scapegoat in all this. No chance he will be there next year.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
And yet the media across the board have not called them out on this. Not in the interviews I have heard. Collingwood have doubled down on their fictional storyline. And yet in interviews noone has made the points you put forward.

Gutless.
I think in the interview with Ned Guy it was quite clear that David King didn't buy it.

Not sure the media is the party at fault here.

Back