Club Focus Collingwood 2020 - Henry, Macrae, McInnes, Poulter, McMahon, McCreery

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 Collingwood club focus thread
At least he acknowledged salary cap pressure was a factor. Still some spin in there but that was the bare minimum he could’ve done.

It’s unlikely he’s going to come out and say “Ned Guy was the one who got us in this mess, so direct your anger that way if you need to”. You’d hope there will be some accountability internally, though.

"We have had quality players expressing interest in coming to our club, interest we could not realistically pursue due to our cap limitations."

This is later clarified to be multiple players from the 2021 Free Agency market expressing their interests before this year's trade period, that they want to nominate us next year. Wonder who they are, not excusing our horrendous performances in the trade period, but at least explains the strategy.

"We have had quality players expressing interest in coming to our club, interest we could not realistically pursue due to our cap limitations."

This is later clarified to be multiple players from the 2021 Free Agency market expressing their interests before this year's trade period, that they want to nominate us next year. Wonder who they are, not excusing our horrendous performances in the trade period, but at least explains the strategy.
Merrett has been linked pretty strongly.

That is all well and good but they traded out three players for way under, one at least who they will paying for years. And mid teens picks in this draft are just not the top end. Dangle some 'quality players" spin to keep the faithful dreaming.

Having had a look at the 2021 RFA or FA players, I am dubious. I am even more dubious those players if they exist would still want to come to a club that can't be trusted on contracts. But we will see.

Yeah, and the way your club reacted to that interest was to force out contracted players in a very public way to clubs which werent their first choice. I would be astounded if that interest is still there.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the players have crossed the Pies off their lists after this trade period, side by side my ass.

The trade period was brutal for Collingwood and the lies and spin are the worst aspect. Ned Guy's position that they wanted to get into the draft is laughable as they really only brought in 14 despite the loss of three players. They definitely had a cap problem. What I don't understand is the players they got rid of. As an opposition supporter and generally support anyone against Collingwood the four players that have X factor about them at Collingwood are Treloar, Stephenson, Sidebottom and De Goey. They are the players I worry about hurting the opposition. They aren't always on, but when they are they really can cause damage and win games off their own boot. There are other great players, Grundy, Adams, Pendleberry, Maynard, Moore, Elliot, Daicos, and some real solid contibutors such as Mihocek, Greenwood, Crisp, etc but the players that can really hurt are those four, potentially Cox at times. A team won't win if they are exactly the same as the opposition. They could have moved others on, but moved two players with what I believe is X-Factor. Treloar streaming through the middle always sent shivers up my spine, and Stephenson when he was out the back or had the ball in the forward half with space. He can't be caught. Thismakes them a vanilla team, as opposed to one with x-factor.

The effect on morale would also be a big impact. Not sure how anyone trusts the hierachy now. Will be an interesting year next year!

Yeah, that all sounds not unreasonable on the surface, but really doesn't explain the panicked fire sale of those players.
Probably had someone ready to sign on the dotted line and then realised they couldn’t afford to with past decisions to delay the pain coming back to haunt them.

They’re not in a position to further improve their list through one of the main avenues for recruitment as a result, as their CEO said in the statement above.

They’ve given themselves 12 months to get in a position where they can pursue the player as a free agent and make a compelling offer that hopefully won’t be matched.

Making a complete PR disaster out of it was in the hope of retaining bargaining power so they could extract maximum value, remains to be seen how bad the fall out will be from that.

The great irony would be if the free agents they’re trying to attract are put off by the whole thing, and choose to stay or go somewhere that gives them a greater sense of security.

Probably had someone ready to sign on the dotted line and then realised they couldn’t afford to with past decisions to delay the pain coming back to haunt them.

They’re not in a position to further improve their list through one of the main avenues for recruitment as a result, as their CEO said in the statement above.

They’ve given themselves 12 months to get in a position where they can pursue the player as a free agent and make a compelling offer that hopefully won’t be matched.

Making a complete PR disaster out of it was in the hope of retaining bargaining power so they could extract maximum value, remains to be seen how bad the fall out will be from that.

The great irony would be if the free agents they’re trying to attract are put off by the whole thing, and choose to stay or go somewhere that gives them a greater sense of security.

That's a comprehensive analysis.

How about this one, which is simpler and contains less assumptions:

• We tried the line that these players were problem children who didn't fit into our beautiful team dynamic and the world called bullshit.
  • We tried the line that we wanted to get into the draft. The world called bullshit.
  • Lets have a go at the line that there's a waiting list of high quality footballers all lined up wanting to come to Collingwood and see how that one flies.

• We tried the line that these players were problem children who didn't fit into our beautiful team dynamic and the world called bullshit.
  • We tried the line that we wanted to get into the draft. The world called bullshit.
  • Lets have a go at the line that there's a waiting list of high quality footballers all lined up wanting to come to Collingwood and see how that one flies.
16th of October

Trust me, I don’t want to believe it either..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

16th of October

Trust me, I don’t want to believe it either..

Meh.

I am keen to own a Ferrari, indeed certain sources have "linked" me with future Ferrari ownership.

Other sources had Carlton strongly linked with Clayton Oliver this year, and he's out of contract next year too - so surely then.

However. I am not getting the grandkids Clayton Oliver merchandise just yet.

And if Carlton had dumped three good players in trade period for nothing, the rationalisation that we were saving up to get Clayton Oliver next year would not stop me from picking up my flaming torch and pitchfork and joining the mob.

Meh.

I am keen to own a Ferrari, indeed certain sources have "linked" me with future Ferrari ownership.

Other sources had Carlton strongly linked with Clayton Oliver this year, and he's out of contract next year too - so surely then.

However. I am not getting the grandkids Clayton Oliver merchandise just yet.

And if Carlton had dumped three good players in trade period for nothing, the rationalisation that we were saving up to get Clayton Oliver next year would not stop me from picking up my flaming torch and pitchfork and joining the mob.
I can completely understand the mob mentality. It’s been an absolute PR disaster, and the way they’ve gone about it is likely to put off any free agents anyway, so it could very much backfire on them as well if that was their aim in all of this. The aim was allegedly twofold, the other side of it was about getting draft picks back and they’ve already failed on that score.

Not sure it’s worth alienating the supporters base on the promise of sunshine and rainbows. Also runs the risk of screwing up the culture of the playing group as well, anyone else who is under contract and on the outer could feel a bit insecure and become unsettled.

Treloar in particular must feel like he was sold a lemon a few years ago and it’s hard to blame him.

Also funny how the tune has compleely changed. For the best part of 2 years, I've seen fans bash Treloar for his inside 50 entry and the same goes for Phillips. Plenty of Pies fans also teed off at Stephenson this year and now the three are gone, they are suddenly treated as top 5 players in the comp. No doubt we got some big unders on them but they were the right players to move on. Personally, I'm most annoyed about Atu.

I can completely understand the mob mentality. It’s been an absolute PR disaster, and the way they’ve gone about it is likely to put off any free agents anyway, so it could very much backfire on them as well if that was their aim in all of this. The aim was allegedly twofold, the other side of it was about getting draft picks back and they’ve already failed on that score.

Not sure it’s worth alienating the supporters base on the promise of sunshine and rainbows. Also runs the risk of screwing up the culture of the playing group as well, anyone else who is under contract and on the outer could feel a bit insecure and become unsettled.

Treloar in particular must feel like he was sold a lemon a few years ago and it’s hard to blame him.
The players all speak to each other. They know each other and disaffected players are moving to three other clubs, and have mates at other clubs. This whole episode will make attracting free agents difficult. In fact it could make retaining their free agents difficult. If I were currently playing for the Pies and I was on good coin I would be looking to make the move before I got the tap on the shoulder or blind sided. The loyalty factor will have disappeared. This is similar to the Adelaide episode. It was portrayed as nothing to see here, but over the next few years players left when they could, and they haven't really attracted any top line player movements. They are now in a rebuild after contendind for a flag, mostly after "that" camp and the lack of acknowledgement of an wrong doing.

Also funny how the tune has compleely changed. For the best part of 2 years, I've seen fans bash Treloar for his inside 50 entry and the same goes for Phillips. Plenty of Pies fans also teed off at Stephenson this year and now the three are gone, they are suddenly treated as top 5 players in the comp. No doubt we got some big unders on them but they were the right players to move on. Personally, I'm most annoyed about Atu.

glass1.jpg

So now instead of kicking their salary cap issues down the road they have tried (unsuccessfully) to kick their fans anger a year down the road.

Do people think they would have much room in their cap from 2021?

My thinking is that a team that just traded 3 quality players for a second round pick is the least likely to have future cap room.

The rationale being that likely you’d only do what they did to avoid major problems, rather than to create unused cap space that might be able to be filled at some point in the future.

What doesn't add up for me is this. If the whole trading of players that the pies have said wasn't only salary related but also part of a rebuild then why not trade out or move on some of the older players.

How long will this rebuild take will Pendelbury be part of the next Pies flag tilt? Will Sidebottom overcome his daemon's and be there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back