News Collingwood involved in new sports hub

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve no idea what it looks like but they’ve demolished one of the old stands.

Ah, what a shame. Covid has dashed the hopes and dreams of many.

I have a beautiful imagine in my mind of you in a hard hat at the controls of a giant crane with a wrecking ball, demolishing part of Princes Park …

… and getting a little carried away. “Oh, we were meant to keep those stands? <<Sorry>>”

E858B0E1-5568-4C99-892C-74FDABCE8AA1.gif

Last edited:
Stephen Jolly? Looks like he’s local council. Maybe that’ll work. My guess is going to the state rep would be more likely to be successful, but I’m in NSW so it might be different.

Your elected representatives are accountable to you, and in my own experience (with State and Feds) they’re usually quite happy to help with this sort of enquiry from a constituent.

Jolly is in the wrong Council, 76.

I have a beautiful imagine in my mind of you in a hard hat at the controls of a giant crane with a wrecking ball, demolishing part of Princes Park …

… and getting a little carried away. “Oh, we were meant to keep those tands? <<Sorry>>”

View attachment 1264923

Moi?

Wondering if it is something to do with funding - from the Federal source and related to community sports- that the project is exempt from a full (or normal) planning process and all that entails in terms of advertising plans etc. Plus Covid.

I live near Princes Park these days (it stinks) and they got funding for a major redevelopment associated with women’s football. Local residents were invited to a public session in March 2020, to see the plans etc, which IIRC was emphasised as a courtesy rather than full community consultation. Then the public session was cancelled because of Covid, and a few months later work started on the development. I’ve no idea what it looks like but they’ve demolished one of the old stands.

I wanted to attend the session to show support - setting aside my loathing for the venue - and knowing how conservative and resistant the local community can be. But I didn’t get the chance.

The CFC development may be in the same vein, and a bit of a mystery as to what it will look like.

I’m guessing it’s a Vic Government planning thing.

The North Sydney Pool got $10 of Fed money from the same pot as the Glasshouse redevelopment (Regional development Fund). And like the Fed funding for the new Glasshouse and Princes Park, ‘Improving facilities for women’ was a key justification for the funding. And there has been full transparency on the North Sydney Pool.

(Not suggesting NSW do things better, NSW has a terrible history of poor planning / poor community consultation / being generally dodgy … they’ve got a long way to go to catch up to where Vic has been on this stuff)

Federal coalition overseen the grants, but your point stands. I wonder what seemingly enabled this grant to be placed in one of specific programs available to both regional and metro?

Nothing dodgy about it. Community Development Grants are a closed non-competitive grant program, predominantly involving the delivery of election commitments. Allocated regardless of location. Same program is also putting $15m into the Kennedy Community Centre at Dingley for the Hawthorn Football Club.

This is what it is, but cant find any images:

More significant development than just the small part on the corner.

Some organisation has been engaged to oversee the heritage elements.

Attachments

• Victoria Sport Project - Stage 1 Design Plan.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 61

Wow, solid first posts, welcome 👍

It’s nothing like what Collingwood 4 eternity reported was shown at the 2020 AGM. That seems strange as the date on this drawing is only a month after the 2020 AGM

My take-always from the design:

Stage 1A is to remodel and reorganise part of the New Glasshouse Building that didn’t really work for the club given their experience with using the space. The medical areas are being moved closer to the ground. Remodelled Gym and AFLW change rooms. (As an aside, when the new Glasshouse design was built, it was intended that it would have facilities for women and men to change to use the Tan running track, public gym facilities, etc. Now doubt a ‘bait and switch’ tactic by the club)

Stage 1B is inside the Old Glasshouse building and is to give the AFL lads a new locker room, chill-out area, kitchen, and new Sauna.

Stage 1C is also inside the Old Glasshouse building and is to give the coaches a new locker room and change facilities. Plus new facilities space.

Stage 1D is also inside the Old Glasshouse building and is to give the women’s programs a new locker room, chill-out area, kitchen, etc.

Stage 1E is to clear out the current foyer and merchandise shop and turn it into a museum (shop goes 100% online?). A new classroom is built behind the current foyer. The area that was the old bar / cafe is developed as a medical centre for Monash University for treatment / concussion research, etc. The drawing doesn’t show how much change is being made to this area … are they knocking this part of the building down and buiilding something new? Or are they simply gutting the inside and remodelling it?

Nothing dodgy about it. Community Development Grants are a closed non-competitive grant program, predominantly involving the delivery of election commitments. Allocated regardless of location. Same program is also putting $15m into the Kennedy Community Centre at Dingley for the Hawthorn Football Club.

Is this one of the funds promised by the Vic Govt in the AFL grand final deal & womens footy in Vic?

Thanks for that.

Croxon Ramsay designed the Glasshouse development and have been brought back to do this, apparently. I actually checked their website the other day, to see if they were promoting the project, but couldn't find any reference to it.

I'd still love to see more, elevations for example, but this is a great start.

Thanks again.

Wow, solid first posts, welcome 👍

It’s nothing like what Collingwood 4 eternity reported was shown at the 2020 AGM. That seems strange as the date on this drawing is only a month after the 2020 AGM

My take-always from the design:

Stage 1A is to remodel and reorganise part of the New Glasshouse Building that didn’t really work for the club given their experience with using the space. The medical areas are being moved closer to the ground. Remodelled Gym and AFLW change rooms. (As an aside, when the new Glasshouse design was built, it was intended that it would have facilities for women and men to change to use the Tan running track, public gym facilities, etc. Now doubt a ‘bait and switch’ tactic by the club)

Stage 1B is inside the Old Glasshouse building and is to give the AFL lads a new locker room, chill-out area, kitchen, and new Sauna.

Stage 1C is also inside the Old Glasshouse building and is to give the coaches a new locker room and change facilities. Plus new facilities space.

Stage 1D is also inside the Old Glasshouse building and is to give the women’s programs a new locker room, chill-out area, kitchen, etc.

Stage 1E is to clear out the current foyer and merchandise shop and turn it into a museum (shop goes 100% online?). A new classroom is built behind the current foyer. The area that was the old bar / cafe is developed as a medical centre for Monash University for treatment / concussion research, etc. The drawing doesn’t show how much change is being made to this area … are they knocking this part of the building down and buiilding something new? Or are they simply gutting the inside and remodelling it?

Hmm, I'm a bit disappointed that some works are being done to the Glasshouse. The building is only five or so years old (2015? 2016?) and already needs some changes, which are not all minor. Some seemingly wasted $$$ there.

But saying that, its design and construction couldn't have anticipated how AFLW would take off. In our first year (2017) we had three coaching staff (?) and now we have seven or eight. And as it gets more professional (hurry up AFLW), we will need more and better facilities for the girls. The works, this time around, seem in part to be anticipating that. So all good :thumbsu:

Hmm, I'm a bit disappointed that some works are being done to the Glasshouse. The building is only five or so years old (2015? 2016?) and already needs some changes, which are not all minor. Some seemingly wasted $$$ there.

But saying that, its design and construction couldn't have anticipated how AFLW would take off. In our first year (2017) we had three coaching staff (?) and now we have seven or eight. And as it gets more professional (hurry up AFLW), we will need more and better facilities for the girls. The works, this time around, seem in part to be anticipating that. So all good :thumbsu:

I’m a little disappointed that there is not a drawing annotation “Give original Glasshouse structure a lick of paint” - it’s needed it for a long time!! It’d be one of those relatively inexpensive jobs (A wild guess $250ish ? $500Kish?) that would make the building really pop. Would have thought the value of the building to a naming rights sponsor would justify the expense.

Although that’s probably not within the scope of a drawing like this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sphincter almost prolapsed.

Read thread title as " Collingwood involved in new sports pub"

fainting-faint.gif

I’m a little disappointed that there is not a drawing annotation “Give original Glasshouse structure a lick of paint” - it’s needed it for a long time!! It’d be one of those relatively inexpensive jobs (A wild guess $250ish ? $500Kish?) that would make the building really pop. Would have thought the value of the building to a naming rights sponsor would justify the expense.

Although that’s probably not within the scope of a drawing like this?

A repaint might be on the cards 76, although all we have is a skimpy measly plan with some basic annotations!

As per the bolded. I mean I literally posted it 12 hrs before this!

By the by I have heard of that Josh Frydenberg bloke, but I do find it strange you referencing him when the article quotes the finance minister…

I’m by no means an expert in federal government policy, but I’d have thought the treasure prescribes the funds available and the finance minister allocated them?
All good.

+ it looks like there’s a heritage listed Arthur Boyd sculpture in the middle of that space …

View attachment 1264880
Must be a sculpture commissioned by Carlton Footy club.
It features a large spoon being fondled by a four fingered hand with breasts on it's wrist?

… and getting a little carried away. “Oh, we were meant to keep those stands? <<Sorry>>”

View attachment 1264923
You need to hire Raman Shaqiri and Stefce Kutlesovski.

Sphincter almost prolapsed.

Read thread title as " Collingwood involved in new sports pub"

fainting-faint.gif

A name change to Hotel Collingwood has already been flagged

Remove this Banner Ad

Back