Rumour Busted Betting scandal rumour busted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
A regular at my work came in tonight with allegations saying a friend of his in the media has told him that the Collingwood betting scandal involving Stephenson may actually delve a lot deeper and involves multiple players, something that may come out soon in the media. I can’t comment on how valid this blokes claims but he’s not one to spread things that he doesn’t believe are true. Has anyone else heard anything similar? In no way am I trying to spread rumours, just want to know if anyone’s circles have heard the same. Cheers

Rumour Busted by leading lights of the AFL:

rumour-essendon-started.jpg

"Get of you high horse" and stop spreading this.

- Chief

Last edited by a moderator:
A regular at my work came in tonight with allegations saying a friend of his in the media has told him that the Collingwood betting scandal involving Stephenson may actually delve a lot deeper and involves multiple players, something that may come out soon in the media. I can’t comment on how valid this blokes claims but he’s not one to spread things that he doesn’t believe are true. Has anyone else heard anything similar? In no way am I trying to spread rumours, just want to know if anyone’s circles have heard the same. Cheers

And I’m drowning slowly....

Ummmmm, I actually came in here to see if a new thread had been started. Something popped into my messages just after 10pm last night.
Don't know of the validity either, but yes, I got a message.

Ummmmm, I actually came in here to see if a new thread had been started. Something popped into my messages just after 10pm last night.
Don't know of the validity either, but yes, I got a message.
I love circles .. i also love football circles

I like hamburgers too .. hamburgers are round, like circles .. mmmmmm, hamburger circles

:hamburger:

I got a message this morning, same rumour, 10 players implicated. Millions of dollars in fines, suspensions next year for said players and no finals this year for club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have heard similar

Where there is smoke there is fire.

This whole Dayne Beams story stinks. “He’s back at the club but we won’t know when he’ll be ready to play.”

Guilty

Chicken nixon mentioned something about Beams causing some damage to the club in his short time back.

Have heard this in the last hour.

Forget the fact that it derails collingwoods season (if true).

How much money do the clubs and the AFL receive from betting agency revenue?

Juxtapose this to the fact that the government also tips in a tidy sum, this has the potential to change, and potentially cripple the image of the game.

The afl choose the easy option every single time.... they will have to decide (again, if true), whether they can sweep it under the rug, or if it’s past that point, and coming clean is the easier choice.

If true, devils advocate says:
Gil - gone
Gaming revenue, and by extension advertising - gone
Collingwoods window for the next 3-5 years - gone.
Multiple avenues of funding - gone.
Grassroots and junior development also takes a massive hit, as who’d want their kids involved in this kind of game?

It almost sounds too big to be true, and I’m well and truly putting the horse before the cart, but if it is true, my god, there will be another 12-24 months ruined by off field drama, easily a bigger story than Essendon cheating in 2012, and Carlton in the late 90’s.

heard this last night as well.

extraordinary claims.

A mate raised a interesting point though, does this make Eddie's comments about having a amnesty back when the Stephenson case broke a bit more interesting?

The Collingwood president even called for the AFL to investigate an “amnesty” period for players to come forward and self report their gambling issues in order to get them out in the open.

McGuire suggested players could be given a period at the end of the 2019 season to confess to gambling problems without facing disciplinary action from the AFL — in a bid to stop them from being vulnerable to approaches from organised crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back