News Collingwood looking for new assistant coaches. Leppitsch a target.

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
From an Age article.

Collingwood are seeking new assistant coaches.

We have interest in Leppitsch.

Edit:

Bucks odds on to stay if Korda remains president.

Collingwood, meanwhile, are also on the lookout for a new crop of assistant coaches and Longmuir has been at the top of Graham Wright’s wish-list.
Both the club and coach Nathan Buckley are yet to publicly commit to the 2022 season, but club sources have told The Age a contract extension is likely to be offered.

The club has already endured major upheaval this year. Wright has taken over from Geoff Walsh as football boss, Ned Guy has resigned as list manager and new president Mark Korda may soon have to deal with an early challenge from former Nine boss Jeff Browne.

Last edited:

That says Longmuir... who is already a head coach.

The mention of Longmuir comes immediately after the article has talked about Carlton's previous pursuit of him, when he was still with us.

A typo, no doubt it means Leppitsch.

I've got no doubt that the article is right, that Wright is after him. What is more interesting is that the article confirms a suspicion: the club will renew Buckley.

It seems to be saying that Korda would be happy to re-sign Buckley, but that Browne wants to be able to make a call on the coach himself and so is likely to make a move on the board sooner than later.

At least, that’s how I read it.

Well if Bucks survives, then that will definitely see Harvey and Sanderson gone. Listening to Leppa on SEN, he has a great footy mind, and thoughts on how today's game should be played. Can see him being a very positive and a breath of fresh air inclusion to the coaching panel, if the club can obtain his services.

The mention of Longmuir comes immediately after the article has talked about Carlton's previous pursuit of him, when he was still with us.

A typo, no doubt it means Leppitsch.

I've got no doubt that the article is right, that Wright is after him. What is more interesting is that the article confirms a suspicion: the club will renew Buckley.

It seems to be saying that Korda would be happy to re-sign Buckley, but that Browne wants to be able to make a call on the coach himself and so is likely to make a move on the board sooner than later.

At least, that’s how I read it.

A few more nuances than my simple take on it in the OP, definitely.

I'm not sure I'm keen on Bucks staying.

I'm probably even less keen to have Browne as president.

Our presidential options between sticking with Korda and Browne on an alternative ticket, neither are ideal.

Both seem to be establishment picks, Korda from the old guard, Browne with his close relationship with Ed.

I am excited by the idea of getting new assistants!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Collingwood way
It’s the assistants fault not Nathan’s.

He let Boyd leave for example after one season to go to Freo

says it all that he preferred to work with Longmuir than Nathan.

It’s obvious who was the chief architect for 2018 now...and it wasn’t Nathan

I’m rather nauseated by the fact that we still have, in large part, the board that oversaw the Beams deal and the resigning of Grundy at any cost.

On that basis, having a few more heads roll, replaced by Browne et al and with Wright as football manager and Leppitsch/Clarkson/someone else competent coaching sounds more appealing.

Not Ross Lyon though. I quite like his commentary, but if we had someone of Luke Ball’s ability and did that to him, I’d lose my mind. And failing to win a flag with Riewoldt, Koschitzke, Ball, Hayes and co... yeesh.

Well if Bucks survives, then that will definitely see Harvey and Sanderson gone. Listening to Leppa on SEN, he has a great footy mind, and thoughts on how today's game should be played. Can see him being a very positive and a breath of fresh air inclusion to the coaching panel, if the club can obtain his services.

Buckley is the Westpac Centre.

The Collingwood way
It’s the assistants fault not Nathan’s.

He let Boyd leave for example after one season to go to Freo

says it all that he preferred to work with Longmuir than Nathan.

It’s obvious who was the chief architect for 2018 now...and it wasn’t Nathan

Buckley choses his assistants,
and the quality of some of his choices sees them eventually poached.
Pretty simple really.

I could swallow a 1 year Buckley extension if it meant the end of Harvey and Sanderson.

harvey is an utter halfwit and never been involved in anything successful.

But harsh, mate.

I could swallow a 1 year Buckley extension if it meant the end of Harvey and Sanderson.

harvey is an utter halfwit and never been involved in anything successful.

Harvey was a champion player and I'm sure is a champion person. He is probably a little bit stale and needs to go, along with Sando.

That says Longmuir... who is already a head coach.
Here’s an idea.Why don’t we hire Longmuir to be head coach?He did a great job with our defence back in 2018,totally transforming it.How long is he contracted at Fremantle for?Make him an offer he can’t refuse,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back