News Collingwood looking for new assistant coaches. Leppitsch a target.

Remove this Banner Ad

That's not the coach telling them how to do their job or making important decisions on specific individuals, and that's the general push around here, the real culprits get a wet lettuce leaf while Buckley is somehow blamed for other people's jobs

Not a lot of point to a recruiting department or list management if we are just going to blame the coach for everything that happens
Regardless of the truth of the matter the head coach carries the can - it has always been thus.

This is why the Scum and Richmond spent so much time in the cellar whilst cycling through head coaches without any appreciable improvement.

What the fu** is 1 year going to make so we can do this song and dance next year?

my god the club are ******* dillusional bookmark me saying this that we will be bottom feeders for the next 10 years.
Id like to say I'm shocked at how ****ing dumb the people running our club are but sadly they're just following their track record

If you think he has no say at all on what players we chase then you are kidding yourself
Coaching is a fulltime job, of course he'd be consulted but you are kidding yourself if you think he's got time to run the recruiting and list management departments, you know, the people who actually destroyed the list and wasted 8 x 1st rounders

People want a simple fix so they focus on a figurehead, it's dumb as *

Not letting them off the hook at all they all need to go to
Well it sounds like Wright is getting rid of them, but he obviously thinks Buckley is the right man for the job at the minute, which tells me Wrighty isn't looking for a scapegoat, he's looking for the *ers that actually caused this mess

Last edited:
What the fu** is 1 year going to make so we can do this song and dance next year?
Firstly we're ****ed for years, so don't be too keen to get your new coach in just yet because he'll no doubt be nutted long before the next window

Secondly, Ross Lyon is on a shortlist of possible coaches, try not to have nightmares about that

Thirdly sounds like we are after someone with another year to run on their contract, the club would be very aware of it's own timelines, there's no rush

2002/2003 (GF GF)
7 years
2010/2011 (GF GF)
7 years
2018/2019 (GF PF)
7 years
2026/2027

Yeah I'm sure he told them to go out and get him some plodders

I don't reckon he's asked for anything. I think they're one of those management teams who pat each other on the back and tell each other how wonderful they are, without ever questioning. That's how you get a culture of doing the same thing over and over and over again, even when it's stopped working. And it's how you get a culture where blokes get unquestioningly re-contracted despite recent results being mediocre.

"Dekka, you're the genius who picked Pendles when others wouldn't have and your same criteria got us Beams and Sidey - keep getting us blokes like that"( and his criteria did work a treat at hte start of Hine's career).

"No worries Nathan, like Pendles, Scharenberg is medium sized, a bit slow and has really clean hands, same with Aish, and this Murphy kid too, so are Henry and Macrae - these other boys don't have great hands but at least they're not quick. The Brown boys are a bit slow. Crocker, Wills and Josh Smith too. Oxley is really slow, as is Phillips. Bianco and Rantall are a bit slow too, so we'll add them as well."

"Great Dekka, just throw in a heap of skinny talls taken really late who haven't played much footy before."

"Done Nathan."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buckley choses his assistants,
and the quality of some of his choices sees them eventually poached.
Pretty simple really.

So Longmuir and Boyd only got the Fremantle gig because they had worked with Buckley?

Now that is funny.

I think people are missing an important strategy by GW here - Leppa will be set up to succeed Bucks when the time comes.

How is Leppitsch going to conduct training from an aged care home?

Coaching is a fulltime job, of course he'd be consulted but you are kidding yourself if you think he's got time to run the recruiting and list management departments, you know, the people who actually destroyed the list and wasted 8 x 1st rounders

People want a simple fix so they focus on a figurehead, it's dumb as fu**

How stupid are you? Are you Dan Andrews?

Buckley sits on the list management committee. He has a say in the type of players that get recruited to help fulfill his vision of how the game should be played.

He doesn't have to run the recruiting and/or list mangement departments.

And if you have been the beneficiary of the former President's blind love gifting you undeserved contract extensions, then you can't complain when said President interferes in list management and signs Grundy up at whatever cost after grabbing Beams.

Grow up.

The man fails up in the industry.

Buckley's coaching contracts:

2010-2014 = 2 years as an assistant (2010-2011) and 3 years as head coach
  • Start of the succession plan.
  • Win the flag in 2010, and make a Grand Final in 2011 when he's assistant coach to Malthouse.
  • Malthouse leaves the club rather than seeing through his side of the contract.
  • Prelim in 2012, and elimination final appearance in 2013. Probably delivered below expectation as the club would have expected a flag in 2012 but gave Buckley a chance to regenerate the list at the end of 2013.
  • Contract extended at the start of 2014, when the rebuild begins.
2014-2016 =
  • No finals appearances in 2014 and 2015 after winning 11 and 10 games in those seasons.
  • Contract extended at the start of 2016, similar to the 2014 extension.
2016-2017 = https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-to-coach-nathan-buckley-20160315-gnjl0t.html
  • No finals appearances in 2016 and 2017 as the team continues going backwards.
  • Club mulls over whether to extend him throughout 2017 when a club-wide review is conducted by Peter Murphy.
  • Contract is eventually renewed two days after our final game in 2017 when we've missed the finals for a 4th consecutive season.
2018-2019 = https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-28/nathan-buckley-collingwood-coach-announcement/8848032?nw=0
  • Make a Grand Final in 2018.
  • Major assistant coaching changes at the end of 2017.
  • Immediately extended at the start of 2019, where he's given a 2-year extension by the club.
2019-2021 = https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/1c97b76f9d6ce43e0a6ea349c2c3467e
  • Current contract.
  • Club has gone backwards with each passing year since the Grand Final.

As I assess this:
  • 2010-2014 happened, and Buckley saw his end of the deal during this time. Malthouse didn't fulfill his contractual obligations.
  • Buckley extended at the start of 2014, with most supporters behind him to regenerate the list.
  • The renewals at the start of 2016, and the end of 2017 are the most dubious. Very lucky to be extended in the circumstances.
  • Had a great year in 2018 and was extended a few months after the Grand Final.
  • Now we're here again mulling over his future beyond 2021.
The man has been paid very well and been afforded plenty of time and patience.

Do you actually think GW is unaware of the history?
Isn’t it possible GW has other metrics he believes are more relevant?
Why can’t you accept a GW decision that includes Buckley.
After all we all lauded his appointment because he has a great track record of success.

How stupid are you? Are you Dan Andrews?

Buckley sits on the list management committee. He has a say in the type of players that get recruited to help fulfill his vision of how the game should be played.

He doesn't have to run the recruiting and/or list mangement departments.

And if you have been the beneficiary of the former President's blind love gifting you undeserved contract extensions, then you can't complain when said President interferes in list management and signs Grundy up at whatever cost after grabbing Beams.

Grow up.

so let’s think about this.
Bucks says I need a speedy mid
Hine says there’s a kid called Nathan Freeman in the draft
Bucks says fine.
Hine says we need a good utility, Buckley agrees
Hine says we should take Scharenburg.
Buckley says fine.
Buckley says I want AT at any cost - Hines says NO the price is my job.

Do I need to go on?

Do you actually think GW is unaware of the history?
Isn’t it possible GW has other metrics he believes are more relevant?
Why can’t you accept a GW decision that includes Buckley.
After all we all lauded his appointment because he has a great track record of success.
GW was in the bosses seat when Hawthorn embarked on a rebuild with injured blokes in their mid 20s. Like Dekka, he had an awesome run, but his recent work shouldn't be lauded. He left the Hawks list in a worse state than we're in.

I've been a proponent of coaching panel overhaul but can live with an extension for Buckley if Harvey and Sanderson go. It's clear that Buckley is the most talented one on our coaching panel (which is a problem) and cops all the flak for everything wrong with Collingwood (but he does well to absorb the pressure).

I thought Buckley would have to go before we can get a refresh of assistants but if they're happy to get rid of the tired assistants then that's a good result also.

so let’s think about this.
Bucks says I need a speedy mid
Hine says there’s a kid called Nathan Freeman in the draft
Bucks says fine.
Hine says we need a good utility, Buckley agrees
Hine says we should take Scharenburg.
Buckley says fine.
Buckley says I want AT at any cost - Hines says NO the price is my job.

Do I need to go on?
I imagine they sit around at a table together and discuss the type of players being sought and who's available. Then there are further gettogethers to discuss progress and short list players. There would be some discussion of salaries and pay demands, of caps and what can be fitted under them. I don't believe the various people involved work in isolation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back