News Collingwood looking for new assistant coaches. Leppitsch a target.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our senior coach options are:

(1) Keep Buckley
(2) Promote an assistant
(3) Bring in an untried coach from outside
(4) Poach a tried coach from outside
(5) Other?

Option (3) is a lottery so let’s put that aside. Option (4) is also a bit of a lottery if we’re realistic about it - past success is no indication of future success.

Probably the best scenario is (2) to promote an assistant who is a strong leader and who is ambitious and driven, and who hasn’t been in the joint long enough to become jaded and accepting of things having to be the way they are. Maybe we don’t have any assistants who fall into that category?

Maybe that’s what we have in mind for Leppitch? A bit of a “try before you buy”? A bit of “if he wants to be a senior coach then
make him earn it”? Maybe even a bit of “The next few years are going to be a struggle at Collingwood, maybe let’s wait until we’ve bottomed out before bringing a new coach in”?

In light of all that, it could end up being a good thing extending Buckley’s contract for another year, with one or more new assistants.

All the more so given that there probably won’t be much senior coaching turnover across the competition this year for top candidates to be hanging out for.

Option 4. I'd head hunt Alastair Clarkson.

I think bringing in some quality senior assistants is a real positive.

Leppitsch's experience as a head coach and assistant at Richmond is really strong. He would be a fantastic pick-up.

We need new assistants whether Bucks stays or goes imo.

I wonder if Korda's future as Collingwood hinges on the decision on Buckley.

If Buckley stays, that would embolden Browne and his alternative ticket. We may be heading to an EGM.

Leppitsch's experience as a head coach and assistant at Richmond is really strong. He would be a fantastic pick-up.

If Buckley stays, that would embolden Browne and his alternative ticket. We may be heading to an EGM.
It will be all over by Christmas...

Korda's only hope of surviving is to replace the coach. If he sticks with Buckley, he's finished.

While others were very dismissive of his appointment from the beginning, I was willing to give him a chance before I made an assessment. What I'm seeing and hearing isn't filling me with confidence.

Browne's going to win comfortably if an EGM is called. Too many supporters want change and Korda is seen as a relic of the old administration under Ed even as he tries to separate himself from him.

Actually, he said recently he'd be open to having the discussion didn't he?

Not based on the few times I’ve heard him talk about it recently.

He basically said he’s achieved everything he wanted to achieve as an assistant coach and was after something different.

Sacked because of Covid(The Reason Given)
That was the reason given... Gary is a straight shooter. Reportedly had words with an Assistant Coach and then found himself outside the midfield line and named Coach of the VFL. After COVID he was advised the club had decided to go in a different direction. Yet we kept on the two rusted on Assistants

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's at least a 4 year window before any reasonable expectation of a genuine flag contention year.

Fair enough

All of this points to a dysfunctional administration.

‘Would you say the same of Hawthorn?

Given the soft cap, and we would already be paying Wright to dollar, how could we attract Clarkson? Whst areas of the football dept spending would we skimp on in order to afford him?

I just don’t think experienced coaches are worth the value they were back in the day when Hafey came to Collingwoodand he was the only full time member of the football department, or when Malthouse came to Collingwood in the days when the senior coach was the football boss.

I suspect we’re heading that way regardless.

‘Would you say the same of Hawthorn?
As a disclaimer I have to say I am a one team fan of football with only superficial interest in other teams.

That being said, ever since the Kennedy days I have always perceived Hawthorn as tightly run club - in that they do everything they can to limit media penetration into the inner workings of the club - masked behind a superficial openness. This is something Collingwood above all clubs should have been and should be doing.

I doubt the average AFL fan has any genuine insight into that inner operations area - I certainly don't - but they are well run in that they tightly control what information is disseminated to the general pubic ( and thus their rivals ).

Sadly this area seems to be a train wreck at our club which played a big part in the recent trade period debacle because the media had us lined up well before the trade period and there was never going to be any mercy at any quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back