News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I am probably guilty of this to some extent. I wish in a way that footy would focus more on footy.

Perhaps to be more specific, I wish the footy coverage would focus more on footy and less on the cause du jour. Australian sports media these days is so schmaltzy and cringeworthy when dealing with this stuff, I have come to deal with it by waiting to turn on the television at exactly 1940 or whenever the game starts to avoid it.

No problem whatsoever with fundraising at the ground. I feel like it’s part of the experience in that case, and I guess it’s less often that I get to go, these days.

I don’t care particularly whether the cause is cancer fundraising, LGBTQ rights, indigenous round or ANZAC Day. Playing The Last Post on days other than ANZAC Day I find to be horribly exploitative and excessive, like we’re trying to promote nationalism rather than teach about the horrors of war and help support our returned servicemen and women.

I think my approach is primarily to shut the duck up, let the game promote whatever it likes and personally avoid the overly sentimental coverage, but I do need to contemplate my take on this further, because I don’t want to end up a hateful old bigot.

I agree with the Anzac thing. It goes against what my grandfather thought and he was one of the first that volunteered for that thing.

I liked the photos the club posted yesterday in support of IDAHOBIT. They were simple and --as far as the players in them-- genuine.

I like that our media person 'came out' and made public his work of deleting the human driftwood. Let the hateful know where they stand, let everyone know where the club stands.

As sideswipe points out, the scores of dribbling comments from people wanting the club to 'focus on footy' are nothing more and less than thinly-veiled bigotry. The authors of those comments really aren't as subtle as they think they are. The club sees them for what they are and they acted accordingly.

It depends on what those values are! I have always been happy for people of all races and sexual orientation to be a part of our club as I'm sure most pie fans have but we don't need to be lectured about it at halftime during Matchday or on special rounds devoted to these causes for the insinuation is I need to be taught the right way to think and feel. It is arrogant and presumptuous and that is what many object to.

As I said before, if the AFL took a surge to the right in the next decade and started having pro life rounds or honour our flag week others of a different view would be very annoyed.

Are there any specific values you think need to be addressed?
Those values espoused in the AFL's Respect & Responsibility Policy. Inclusiveness and all that.

It's simple. Keep big tech to the commitment they initially made to be a public square where all can express their opinions.
How are you going to do that without invoking the devil that is wide-scale intervention and legislation in the economy? You're basically talking about platforms not being able to moderate content. Are we going to keep them able to increase profit by using algorithms to moderate the content that is fed to us? That's something I'd support. Although some of the flow on effects would suck. I doubt the Republican party would approve though as those algorithms have been really beneficial for them.

Do you really think right wing or Republican sites aren't heavily moderated

Last edited:
Yeah I am probably guilty of this to some extent. I wish in a way that footy would focus more on footy.

Perhaps to be more specific, I wish the footy coverage would focus more on footy and less on the cause du jour. Australian sports media these days is so schmaltzy and cringeworthy in its treatment of this stuff, I have come to deal with it by waiting to turn on the television at exactly 1940 or whenever the game starts to avoid it.

No problem whatsoever with fundraising at the ground. I feel like it’s part of the experience in that case, and I guess it’s less often that I get to go, these days.

I don’t care particularly whether the cause is cancer fundraising, LGBTQ rights, indigenous round or ANZAC Day. Playing The Last Post on days other than ANZAC Day I find to be horribly exploitative and excessive, like we’re trying to promote nationalism rather than teach about the horrors of war and help support our returned servicemen and women.

I think my approach is primarily to shut the duck up, let the game promote whatever it likes and personally avoid the overly sentimental coverage, but I do need to contemplate my take on this further, because I don’t want to end up a hateful old bigot.
I don't disagree with you on a lot of issues, except an employer has to stand for inclusion. Despite race, gender and sexuality being described as political issues, and obviously being moral issues, they're also legal issues in terms of providing a safe work place, which theyre not really doing if they're allowing non inclusive stuff on their platforms that they present to the world.

Not to mention that we're probably supporting some of our past, present, future or prospective players and thus impacting the team.

I don't disagree with you on a lot of issues, except an employer has to stand for inclusion. Despite race, gender and sexuality being described as political issues, and obviously being moral issues, they're also legal issues in terms of providing a safe work place, which theyre not really doing if they're allowing non inclusive stuff on their platforms that they present to the world.

Not to mention that we're probably supporting some of our past, present, future or prospective players and thus impacting the team.

Nah it’s ok I totally agree with you that they have to moderate their internet platforms, you don’t want to make them a breeding ground for bigotry and narrow-minded *-knuckles.

How are you going to do that without invoking the devil that is wide-scale intervention and legislation in the economy? You're basically talking about platforms not being able to moderate content. Are we going to keep them able to increase profit by using algorithms to moderate the content that is fed to us? That's something I'd support. Although some of the flow on effects would suck. I doubt the Republican party would approve though as those algorithms have been really beneficial for them.

Do you really think right wing or Republican sites aren't heavily moderated
Big tech denies there is any bias against conservative opinions until their engineers are caught out in private conversations admitting they are Commie as F##k and hate the right. It's the pretense at neutrality that is sickening. The very day Veritas released the Twitter engineer saying they are all commies at Twitter and hate the right which they censor every day the new head of the Ministry of Truth came out and said it was in fact the left and minority groups who face the most censorship on Twitter. It's a pathetic joke.

It was the Big tech platforms who said they were creating a public platform for all to express their views. Of course you censor those who advocate violence or break the law but you don't censor opinions you don't like or call differing views "hate speech"

Big tech denies there is any bias against conservative opinions until their engineers are caught out in private conversations admitting they are Commie as F##k and hate the right. It's the pretense at neutrality that is sickening. The very day Veritas released the Twitter engineer saying they are all commies at Twitter and hate the right which they censor every day the new head of the Ministry of Truth came out and said it was in fact the left and minority groups who face the most censorship on Twitter. It's a pathetic joke.

It was the Big tech platforms who said they were creating a public platform for all to express their views. Of course you censor those who advocate violence or break the law but you don't censor opinions you don't like or call differing views "hate speech"
This is an unintentionally hilarious post.

It is very funny that that whole story is viewed as a smoking gun. You might want to consider the political persuasion of someone who would say "commie as *" and what they meant by "we" in that context.

It is very funny that that whole story is viewed as a smoking gun. You might want to consider the political persuasion of someone who would say "commie as duck" and what they meant by "we" in that context.
It's quite clear. He is saying all of the staff at Twitter are extremely left wing in their political disposition. It's not complicated. It simply underlines the dishonesty of the big tech representatives who publically continue to gaslight society by saying they are neutral and have no bias.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's quite clear. He is saying all of the staff at Twitter are extremely left wing in their political disposition. It's not complicated. It simply underlines the dishonesty of the big tech representatives who publically continue to gaslight society by saying they are neutral and have no bias.

Uh so a couple of people had a conversation in which they were able to speak to the political leanings of every single Twitter employee? How many people does Twitter employ… five? Six?

It's a right wing guy, who like yourself, probably has a negative opinion on Twitter's censoring of Trump and the politics of some of his colleagues. Twitter having a right wing guy working there who feels that way is as far from a smoking gun as you can get.

Last edited:
Uh so a couple of people had a conversation in which they were able to speak to the political leanings of every single Twitter employee? How many people does Twitter employ… five? Six?
You'd think a senior engineer who has been in the place for a while would have a feel for the political leanings of their peers. I don't know why people pretend it's still a secret when footage was leaked of employees and their bosses weeping when orange man was elected and pledging to fight back in every way they could.

It's surely not a subject for debate. Maybe we could ponder whether the pope is Catholic or Elvis is really dead.

Fixture.

ROUND 16
Gold Coast v Collingwood
Saturday 2 July
Metricon Stadium
7.25pm
Channel 7

ROUND 17
Collingwood v North Melbourne
Saturday 9 July
MCG
1.45pm
Fox Footy

ROUND 18
Adelaide v Collingwood
Saturday 16 July
Adelaide Oval
1.15pm

ROUND 19
Collingwood v Essendon
Sunday 24 July
MCG
3.20pm
Channel 7

From McRae's interview

Thanks for posting that Jen. Interesting they don’t train kick ins much because it’s a low score source.
I’d suggest we change that approach given it can become a high score source for the opposition when we stuff it up and the ball comes straight back!

Think of it like this - the Club has a level of responsibility for its social media environments. To make sure they are “safe spaces”. The standard you walk past is the standard you accept, etc.

Sure. However there is another consideration and that is the direction of accountability. Who is accountable to whom?

How often would a cleaner censor / censure the CEO of their company? How often would a Board of Directors censor / censure their shareholders?

Of course they can and they should in some circumstances (eg: racism / sexism / discrimination / illegal behaviour) but they would be exceptional circumstances and care and the advice of a good lawyer would often need to be taken.

And to take another timely example, how often do you see politicians censor / censure their own constituents? H. Clinton’s “the deplorables” moment illustrates what happens when that is done.

For all Ed’s many faults, this was something he always paid attention to. In all his public communication he always made himself subservient to the members, although I always thought this was driven by political nous than authenticity. The only times I have ever seen / heard Ed being nervous was at some Collingwood AGM’s.

So back to Collingwood and social media, I agree with you, I think it is appropriate that we sensor that stuff (or at a minimum avoid platforms where the club has any responsibly over public content). But care is needed IMHO.

Deleting hateful posts on a club’s Facebook page is as much a form of censorship as graffiti removal. For you to position it as some sort of restriction of free speech is pretty shabby.

If you think this is the first time a club social media manager has cleaned up a Facebook post, you are simply out of touch with the realities of today. That “censorship” has likely been happening as long as the Club has been (properly) using social media.

TBH I don’t follow the club’s social media channels that closely, but I don’t remember the club doing a great job of censoring some of the disgraceful stuff that was said about Dr Bridie O’Donnell this time last year.

I think it’s a modern problem. A fair portion of our society - who social media has given a voice - don’t know how to object or protest in a civil manner.

No what you are saying is Buckley shouldn't defend himself and bend the knee. That is also the current political climate from SJWs on many issues today.
Digusting way to deal with it and far from being grown up and more inline with how s**t parents spoil kids rotten.

I don’t have a problem with anything that Buckley has said that falls into the category of “defending himself”. And FWIW, Buckley hasn’t defended himself much beyond the “I sleep well at night” comment. On the contrary, Buckley has in some ways avoided defending himself: “I haven’t been perfect” / “I have made mistakes that I have learnt from” / “I have apologised to Heritier for the environment he was in”.

It is sometimes said “The best form of defense is to attack”, and it is that stuff from Buckley that I don’t think was necessary or helpful. I don’t think he should have said “I don’t know what Heritier wants, for heads to roll?” or “My truth is different to Heritier’s truth”. Many of us supporters are smacking Heritier down for being righteous, but when you look at Buckley’s comments that are against Heritier, Buckley is behaving no less righteous. IMO, I don’t think Buckley should be claiming any righteousness, and I don’t think he’s being helpful at all doing that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back