News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Could be an interesting game, of we are both playing for a spot in the 8....

Could be the first game of significance between us and them in a decade and it'll be in Qld somewhere. :cry:

9 days after the dees game. Round 13. August 24th

Jen, do we know yet if this 9 day break will actually be our bye? I am hoping, and we will need, to start to get on a roll if we are to be a chance this year, and a few returning ( maybe SP, WHE , Langdon ), a couple resuming full training ( Treloar, IQ, JDG, LG ) and others getting close ( hoping Howe and even Will K ) might give us some impetus.

Jen, do we know yet if this 9 day break will actually be our bye? I am hoping, and we will need, to start to get on a roll if we are to be a chance this year, and a few returning ( maybe SP, WHE , Langdon ), a couple resuming full training ( Treloar, IQ, JDG, LG ) and others getting close ( hoping Howe and even Will K ) might give us some impetus.

There still has to be a round sometime after Round 13 when we don't play a game. Whether that means a proper break or not we don't know.

There still has to be a round sometime after Round 13 when we don't play a game. Whether that means a proper break or not we don't know.

Just as I post this, the AFL confirm that Rounds 14-17 will be scheduled like Rounds 9-12 and we (& 9 others) will get a bye during this time.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/484229/hawks-to-hit-new-barossa-hub-queensland-to-be-home-for-15-teams

The rounds 14 to 17 fixture is likely to be the same as rounds 9-12, with four rounds of football expected to be compressed into three weeks. Ten teams will be given byes in that period, by which time all 18 clubs will have received a bye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere already, but this is the best football-related article/analysis I’ve ever read. Maybe it’s a low bar, but in any case...

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/12525480?__twitter_impression=true

Actually it explains our problems pretty well without being too hard to understand. The 'defensive positioning (push) is actually an offensive action', that requires grunt work and if you look at the video (role of sweeper) of us using the defensive side of the stoppage to outnumber then ideally we'd also outnumber forward of the stoppage (outside of video shot). Essentially in order to 'make sure of it' (win the stoppage with outnumbering on the ball win) we have to work harder than the opposition to position.

It's an outswarm and outspread theory.

It also explains why our stoppage strategy - when working optimally - works pretty good and is hard for opp to defend it. It also mentions how we've switched to pushing goal side of the contest this year not behind it, gives opp defence less time to set up. But as explained in the article it's much less 'fail safe' because we're not trying outnumber in both contest and inside, we're just trying to win it. All good and well if we win it but as the article explains (at time of writing) we're dead last in stoppage wins - our best path to score.

Probably explains trying to handball through traffic to go forward that results in turnover going the other way.

This change of plan doesn't give me any confidence if we are not winning enough stoppages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back