News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Why was he so good? Please enlighten us o wise one.
There's no proof that any fan can provide that he was good or bad. But the correlation between him being on the staff and our success is obvious. The two seasons he worked here we had strong lines under him, and now that he's been stood down, and now sacked, we're in the shitter.

Not like it's all up to him, but you've got your head in the sand if you think there aren't any indicators of his talent

There's no proof that any fan can provide that he was good or bad. But the correlation between him being on the staff and our success is obvious. The two seasons he worked here we had strong lines under him, and now that he's been stood down, and now sacked, we're in the shitter.

Not like it's all up to him, but you've got your head in the sand if you think there aren't any indicators of his talent
He hadn't been there all year and it was clearly a financial decision.

He hadn't been there all year and it was clearly a financial decision.
Yeah, and we've been worse off all year for not having him. He was obviously the odd man out given his transition to VFL, but I think he had more value than Harvey and Sando combined

Yeah, and we've been worse off all year for not having him. He was obviously the odd man out given his transition to VFL, but I think he had more value than Harvey and Sando combined
Agreed Gouki88. When we had Buddha coaching the midfield group in 2018, it clicked with them and we nearly stole a flag. I rate his output much higher than Sando, Harvey or Rocca as ruck coach (FFS). Ridiculous decision from the club. Is it jobs for the boys or are these decisions merit-based?

Didnt hold back, did he?

Didn’t hold back, didn’t miss unfortunately.

I’m a big Bucks supporter, I think he’s gotten better as a coach and he’s had one of the unluckiest runs of injury to deal with in the clubs history.

In saying that, this assessment is damning and most people are completely bored with the way the team plays. I understand defence wins premierships, but we are too slow and boring.

Didn’t hold back, didn’t miss unfortunately.

I’m a big Bucks supporter, I think he’s gotten better as a coach and he’s had one of the unluckiest runs of injury to deal with in the clubs history.

In saying that, this assessment is damning and most people are completely bored with the way the team plays. I understand defence wins premierships, but we are too slow and boring.
totally agree
i support bucks, but this is damning, confirms all our ongoing criticisms and doubts

totally agree
i support bucks, but this is damning, confirms all our ongoing criticisms and doubts

We are in a bind where the President hitched his wagon to the current coach, and if that fails he fails.

The coach is also well aware of the restraints coaching under the current president has.

So whilst we are one of the richer clubs propping up the not so wealthy clubs the AFL is from next year going to significantly cut the dividends its pays us for our financial support

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So whilst we are one of the richer clubs propping up the not so wealthy clubs the AFL is from next year going to significantly cut the dividends its pays us for our financial support

AFL is ran by Idiots

Seems Matty Rendell was showing his age ;) Doesn't he know that modern footy is all about defence. You know: "Defence wins Premierships"....lol...

Seems Matty Rendell was showing his age ;) Doesn't he know that modern footy is all about defence. You know: "Defence wins Premierships"....lol...

and a Forward Line that Stuggles to Kick 5 Goals a Game:tearsofjoy:

Jamie Elliott insists there wasn’t a light bulb moment that dragged his AFL career back almost from the brink; it was more about finding the balance his body needed.
In doing so, he has not only added a new dimension to his game, he’s also enhanced Collingwood’s capabilities, particularly with a slight role change this year.

As Elliott prepares to take on Geelong in Saturday night’s semi-final at the Gabba, the 28-year-old says he is grateful for where his footy career is at right now and delighted he stuck with the Magpies when Brisbane came calling as a suitor late last year.

Can Pies ride finals magic carpet ride?

“I’m just loving it at the moment,” Elliott told the Herald Sun in a rare interview.

“In the past I have trained and not played, and having been injured a fair bit, to be able to train and play each week is not something I ever took for granted, but it is just so nice to do it.”

Elliott has spent almost the past four months living out of a suitcase in the Magpies’ hub — most of it in Queensland. He’s missed his dog, a French mastiff called Reggie, and his family.

He had contemplated a move to the Sunshine State late last year when Brisbane made a strong play to recruit him when he was out of contract.

The highly-skilled Magpie was torn on the decision and he toured the Lions’ facilities, but his loyalty to Collingwood and his teammates won out.

“Collingwood feels like home to me,” he said. “It was tough during that period. I was going through the sh-- of my hammies and I was like, ‘Do I need a new environment to get the best out of myself?’”

“I had a lot of things going through my head.

“Fortunately, I made this decision. I am really comfortable staying in Melbourne, where I have got most of my family close, so that was a big part in my decision.”

Given what he has been through – a back injury that saw him spend a season on the sidelines in 2016 and repeated hamstring issues that cost him another season out in 2018 – Elliott couldn’t be more thankful that he has regained trust in his body, thanks to the program that protects it.

That has allowed him to spend more time in the midfield this year, and also assisted him in getting through the most condensed fixture in AFL history.

Elliott will play his 18th game of the season against the Cats – his highest season tally in a calendar year since 2015.

It’s taken some time for him to find the right equilibrium, but in doing so, he has made a serious impact in 2020.

“There were people saying, ‘Your body is injury prone’ and all that sort of stuff, but I don’t think anyone is really injury prone,” Elliott said. “I just think you need to find a program that works for you personally.

“You can’t have a generic program that suits every player because every player moves differently and is unique in that aspect.

“When you find the right program that works for you, and you don’t waver from it, you figure it out. I think that’s why I am in a really good place at the moment.”

Settling on a program that works for him hasn’t been easy.

There was a trip to Germany in late 2018 with good mate and fellow rehab partner of the time Darcy Moore to see Bayern Munich head doctor Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt; there were frustrating stints on the sidelines which saw him miss that year’s Grand Final; and there was more than a little anguish trying to find a solution.

But it has been worth it.

Moore is now an All-Australian; Elliott has not only resurrected his AFL career across the past 18 months, he has again become a key member of the Magpies’ drive for that elusive flag.

“With my back (injury), I didn’t really have any hiccups,” he said of the 2016 injury. “It was like, ‘OK, I have had back surgery and I need this amount of time to recover’.

“There were basically no hiccups, whereas with the hammies, I just think the toll on my body was really tough.

“I was training so hard (to get back) it was like I just didn’t give my body a chance to rest once I was out of rehab. I basically had three mini pre-seasons to get my body right and probably just over did it a bit.”

Elliott and the Magpies conditioning team came to the conclusion that less was more, setting parameters around his preparation that he still religiously follows.

“When I look back on it, I was coming off two 14.5km sessions (when his hamstring was injured), it was like my body personally wasn’t meant for that,” he said.

“I am not doing a massive amount of running now. I am more of a power athlete. It is more about getting the good running in, not the junk running … I wouldn’t say there was a turning point … or a light bulb moment.

“But in the middle of 2019 was probably when we worked out what the program looks like.

“In the past, especially when I was returning from my back (injury), I was like ‘I need to work harder and do more’, whereas now that I am getting a little bit older, I might be getting wiser.

“I know what my body needs and I’m a lot smarter with it.”

Elliott is not sure if the trip to Germany to meet with one of the world’s leading hamstring experts Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt had anything to do with his recovery.

“We went to this clinic and all these nurses and staff members were all wearing white,” he said.

“You get the treatment for five days and then you do all these exercises and do a bit of training. It is hard to look back and say, ‘That fixed me’, but I think in terms of finally settling on a management plan, that was the biggest thing for me. I am sure that Darcy would say the same thing.”

He has relished his role further up the field this year, gathering career-high figures in disposals (16), contested possessions (6.4), clearances (2.6) and pressure points (45.1) with Champion Data’s normalisation of 2020 stats allowing for shorter game times.

In his 16 games in 2019, he spent only 2 per cent of game time in the midfield. This year it has been 37 per cent midfield with 63 per cent forward.

When the Magpies resumed after the first COVID lockdown, an opportunity arose, and Elliott jumped at it.

“During that period where we came back, I was playing a bit more through the midfield and with centre bounce work,” he said. “They liked me there, so I have come in every now and then.

“Traditionally, I have always played as a leading-type forward, even though I am a short player. Now this year, I have played a lot higher. I am more around the ball and I am playing that higher role.

“I am really enjoying it. At times you can play forward and you can have a quarter without even seeing the ball. But when you are involved in centre bounces and you are around the ball, that aspect is nice.”

Elliott has a year to run on his current deal and the determination to win a flag is the thing that still drives him.

“Being older now and being in the system for longer, it means a lot more than when I first got to the club.

“I’m 28 now, and I really want to win a premiership.

“We have a chance this year. We believe our best is as good as anyone’s. But we have three more hurdles to get through and it starts again with Geelong.

“I don’t think we really clicked as a group and played four quarters until last week (against West Coast). But I feel like it is all coming together now.”

Congrats on the career Travvy.

Was a great addition to our club and I appreciated his game much more in black and white. Wish he had a couple of less highlights in the hoops though!

Was a great addition to our club and I appreciated his game much more in black and white. Wish he had a couple of less highlights in the hoops though!
Would love to see him stick around the club in some sort of indigenous recruiting role. And yes he still haunts us for 2011. Dynamite player on his day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back